Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#1036 Post by Sapphi »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: "I can't believe you'd ask me to break the law and then get insulted when I refuse. Walk away."
:lol: Did you actually say "Walk away" to her face?!
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#1037 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@LateWhiteRabbit, Oh, you'll love this one. We recently changed our corporate typeface because our old one sucked because of excessive kerning and not having an @ symbol. This was done by an outside agency. First, the suggested we stay with what we have. Then they suggested DIN. And finally they made their choice. Gotham. Bloody Gotham. Our identity is now quite literally the same as everyone else. We have finance people who know NOTHING about design knowing what Gotham is. We are all just sitting there in horror. Plus, I don't actually like it. It has no personality and the whole typeface is wider than the Nullabour >:(

I'm always super nice to our printer :3 You should never piss off your printer. Plus, he is a really nice man and goes to a lot of effort. Which is understandable considering how much our company's business is worth (especially with the project managers waving off the price of custom die cuts and shrugging) but still, it's good to deal with someone pleasant.

FragmentedBergyo
Regular

#1038 Post by FragmentedBergyo »

While being stunned that Ever7 got so much sudden love, I find out a translation patch came out. Explains everything.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#1039 Post by Hijiri »

Today I learned that I should back up every file I have that is important. My desktop got fried today by my cousin, and now I can't even boot it up. There is not enough rage nor cuss words in the world to describe how I feel right now....

The only good thing is that before this all happened, I had the bright idea of moving my VN stuff to my external drives, so at least I still have those and some of their GIMP files.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#1040 Post by Tetiel »

So... I went to the dentist and found out that I need to have a root canal. I don't even have a cavity on the tooth. My previous dentist didn't properly clean the bacteria out of a very small cavity years ago or the filling material was contaminated. Basically, the infection spread towards the inside of the tooth, now I have a dead nerve and a ticking time bomb which could erupt into a full blown jaw infection in an unknown period of time. As a result, I have a $422 bill not including the actual filling over the tooth which will be multiple hundreds more. I hate teeth. I hate them so very much v_v

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#1041 Post by PyTom »

Sapphi wrote: And now... I really have to get this off my chest or I might explode... Today, at work, I THOUGHT OF THE BEST IDEA FOR A TETRIS CLONE EVER! It's story-based... and science fiction! It contains adorable moe moe dog-eared girls! It's also heart-breakingly sad! It's educational, even! And the best part is... wait for it..., IT REQUIRES ONLY MINIMAL ART!!!!!
My idea for Tetris in Ren'Py seems to be less feasible than I originally hoped. At least now it won't distract me from #TwelveKN. #yeahright
What was the idea, offhand?

For sci-fi moe-eared dog-girls, I can write a game that involves falling blocks but is totally not tetris, because tetris is a copyright of somebody.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#1042 Post by Sapphi »

Hijiri wrote:Today I learned that I should back up every file I have that is important. My desktop got fried today by my cousin, and now I can't even boot it up. There is not enough rage nor cuss words in the world to describe how I feel right now....
Not to pry, but how exactly did he break it?
When a virus chewed its way through my OS, it made my hard drive unbootable and even unmountable, but we were able to download a trial version of a data recovery program and sift through its contents that way. The virus seemed to have only eaten my OS files and left my personal data alone, so I was able to track down what I really needed and make copies as necessary.

It was actually pretty cool since the program even picked up files from the PREVIOUS USER of the hard drive! Definitely a fun night of exploration. (A general tip... don't put your hard drives in the trash with your computers. People like me pick them up and spend a few nights laughing at all the intensely personal information you didn't delete. :twisted: )

PyTom wrote: What was the idea, offhand?
I can't tell you here because I think it is such a super amazing idea that I'm afraid someone else will beat me to it and then I will be sad. :P

The reason I don't think it would work so well is that I wanted to sort of have Ren'Py functions tied into renpygame, like a NVL screen going on simultaneously with the falling blocks, and tying certain numbers in the line count to say text. When I looked at the renpygame demo, it seemed that it was an either-or situation.

Of course, that doesn't mean defeat, it is just a setback since I can't cheat and rely on Ren'Py for the "story" part.
PyTom wrote:For sci-fi moe-eared dog-girls, I can write a game that involves falling blocks but is totally not tetris, because tetris is a copyright of somebody.
Well, you see... since I've never programmed anything in Python beyond a tiny game where you play an evil Persian consuming innocent Pidgeys on Route 1 to the tune of some very scary music, I thought a Tetris clone would be a good challenge. So if that was an offer, thank you very much... but I have to refuse, since if I don't personally stumble around in the code, I'll never learn anything. :)
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#1043 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Sapphi wrote:
LateWhiteRabbit wrote: "I can't believe you'd ask me to break the law and then get insulted when I refuse. Walk away."
:lol: Did you actually say "Walk away" to her face?!
Yep. And she did!

She was really pushing my buttons. I'm generally nice to a fault in person, and have a great deal of patience. However, she just kept pushing and pushing. "No one will know! I won't tell anybody! Just pretend you don't know it's copyrighted!" All of which I very politely deflected in a nice way, explaining about the law, the fines involved, etc. Then she started flirting with me. That's a BIG angry button pusher for me, when a girl is trying to manipulate me using sex. It is really incredibly insulting, since it, you know, implies I'm just a big stupid male led around by my penis. It caused me to flip a switch from smiling, apologetic nice guy gently refusing a request, to my stern, no-smiling, narrowed eyes, deep-voiced, you-are-about-to-be-in-trouble guy™.

So that prompted the exchange I wrote in my last post. I really needed her to walk away before I said something really mean. And I needed for her to know in no uncertain terms that it wasn't up for discussion any longer, and she could stow the cleavage and take it away.

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#1044 Post by Lishy »

Wait, she was so desperate to have the thing printed, she was trying to seduce you and show off her cleavage!? Just how far was the flirting going!?
-

DeeKay
Veteran

#1045 Post by DeeKay »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Then she started flirting with me. That's a BIG angry button pusher for me, when a girl is trying to manipulate me using sex.
Pushy girls trying to get away with flirting huh... And some people still wonder why I don't have a girlfriend xD
Auro-Cyanide wrote:@LateWhiteRabbit, Oh, you'll love this one. We recently changed our corporate typeface because our old one sucked because of excessive kerning and not having an @ symbol. This was done by an outside agency. First, the suggested we stay with what we have. Then they suggested DIN. And finally they made their choice. Gotham. Bloody Gotham. Our identity is now quite literally the same as everyone else. We have finance people who know NOTHING about design knowing what Gotham is. We are all just sitting there in horror. Plus, I don't actually like it. It has no personality and the whole typeface is wider than the Nullabour >:(
Dang ! That must be quite frustrating ! Why go from something unique to something else with look alikes all over the place ? Tss...
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#1046 Post by Mink »

I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time not picturing LWR as a little blonde girl, so that story is giving me a really weird mental image. >_>
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

DeeKay
Veteran

#1047 Post by DeeKay »

It's so darn hot today !
I can't focus on practicing in this heat, even though I'm only wearing a pair of jeans..
-- No longer active --
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#1048 Post by Hijiri »

@Sapphi, he reformatted the hard drive.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

DeeKay
Veteran

#1049 Post by DeeKay »

Hijiri wrote:Today I learned that I should back up every file I have that is important. My desktop got fried today by my cousin, and now I can't even boot it up. There is not enough rage nor cuss words in the world to describe how I feel right now....

The only good thing is that before this all happened, I had the bright idea of moving my VN stuff to my external drives, so at least I still have those and some of their GIMP files.
Hijiri wrote:@Sapphi, he reformatted the hard drive.
Holy mackerels ! Burn him to ashes !
Still, glad to know your VN data is safe and sound :)
-- No longer active --

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#1050 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Mink wrote:I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time not picturing LWR as a little blonde girl, so that story is giving me a really weird mental image. >_>