Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#4411 Post by zankizuna »

Do you want to make a new Art Dumpage thread? like, for clearing up?

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#4412 Post by Tetiel »

Chibi commission I did of Eileen and Octocat:

DeeKay
Veteran

#4413 Post by DeeKay »

That's very lovely Tetiel ! Just like you yourself.. Ack ! Why did I say that ??

Now for some embarrassment on my part.
Here we go :

Yeah, nothing like the chibi fanart I did a few weeks back huh ? Well... I was on fire back then ^^'''''''''

Edit :
Here's another test I made, throwing it in for the sake of it. I have to go past the chibi mind block in my head or else I'm doomed to only support people with chibi fanart xD
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

MusicaFate
Regular
Organization: Hime*Ko Productions

#4414 Post by MusicaFate »

~ Tetiel you are such an awesome artist >w< the chibi is absolutely adorable!!

~ DeeKay D: maybe you should try making the like IDK eye lashes / our eye lines first and then duplicate that. After that make one pupil or the eyeball itself and duplicate it without flipping it. :D But good job! I like your clean line art
Attachments
YY.png
Free Artist. :) PM ME ?~

Oddly Otter

#4415 Post by Oddly Otter »

I tried playing with some gif animation the other day. You can see i was doing details on the mouth then just kinda gave up on coloring details the rest haha

I also attempted the animeish style too, not on this image but recently. I cant do it! Can't give them such large eyes o.o Everything always ends up too realistic for me.

DeeKay
Veteran

#4416 Post by DeeKay »

MusicaFate wrote:~ DeeKay D: maybe you should try making the like IDK eye lashes / our eye lines first and then duplicate that. After that make one pupil or the eyeball itself and duplicate it without flipping it. :D But good job! I like your clean line art
Oh I see what you mean ! I guess I do that automatically, damn work reflexes ! I should make a mental note of that.
And thanks for your kind words but I should say it's not that clean at first ! xD
I wish I could spend more time in improving but oh well...
Nice art by the way ! I like the composition too ! :)
-- No longer active --
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#4417 Post by Tetiel »

DeeKay wrote:That's very lovely Tetiel ! Just like you yourself.. Ack ! Why did I say that ??
Stop it, you're going to make me blush xD
MusicaFate wrote:~ Tetiel you are such an awesome artist >w< the chibi is absolutely adorable!!
D'aww thanks so much <3

@DeeKay, you're drawing digitally, no? When I see proportions which I know are not correct, I sometimes use the transform tool in photoshop to be able to adjust them to what appears correct. This is especially helpful in the case of jawlines and eyes. Sometimes you draw the duplicate eye and it feels off and all you can do is go dskahglkashgkhds and rage at your screen xD Trust me, transforming and flipping helps a ton. Also, when a person is staring right at you, make sure that the irises are directly in the centre. At the moment, they are looking cross-eyed. Make sure the nose is in the centre as well.

The second image is definitely looking better, but there are a few proportion things which you should keep in mind. The tops of the eyes usually line up with the top of the ears. I think the eye level looks fine so maybe raise the ears slightly. The nose definitely looks in the centre here so ignore my last critique about that xD Here, though, the jawline is off so perhaps transforming it and then drawing over may help you out until you feel comfortable. Try making the lenses of the glasses wider so that you barely see the ear frames. Normally glasses are a bit bigger so that people can look all around while still in good vision (excepting the sides of the eyes, unfortunately. That's why I like contacts so much). You did the hair and eyes very well though. Again, huge improvement. I know how it is, though. Some days you're just off and can't draw the way you know you have the ability to do.

Uhh, sorry for the mass critique. Especially sorry if you didn't want it. It's only meant to help!

@Musica: I really love the soft skin <3 The hair and folds are also extremely well done! The butterfly barrette is also a nice touch. Composition wise- I think perhaps it would serve really well as someone's desktop wallpaper if you left the purple silhouette off.

@Oddly Otter: Honestly, don't push yourself towards anime if it doesn't come naturally. There's so many anime artists out there in the VN community and if you can do something towards realism, I feel you'd be in real demand. That being said, nice job on the teeth. I can't seem to ever make them right, so props to you. One thing I'd suggest with the hair is that you concentrate on the shadows and the shape of the hair before you add in the details. A friend of mine has done a 2 part series of tutorials which I think may help:
http://fav.me/dnnqug
http://fav.me/drd2sa
She has other tutorials as well plus a super awesome gallery so it's worth checking out. This may also be shameless pimping out, sorry.

DeeKay
Veteran

#4418 Post by DeeKay »

Tetiel wrote:@DeeKay, you're drawing digitally, no? When I see proportions which I know are not correct, I sometimes use the transform tool in photoshop to be able to adjust them to what appears correct. This is especially helpful in the case of jawlines and eyes. Sometimes you draw the duplicate eye and it feels off and all you can do is go dskahglkashgkhds and rage at your screen xD Trust me, transforming and flipping helps a ton. Also, when a person is staring right at you, make sure that the irises are directly in the centre. At the moment, they are looking cross-eyed. Make sure the nose is in the centre as well.

The second image is definitely looking better, but there are a few proportion things which you should keep in mind. The tops of the eyes usually line up with the top of the ears. I think the eye level looks fine so maybe raise the ears slightly. The nose definitely looks in the centre here so ignore my last critique about that xD Here, though, the jawline is off so perhaps transforming it and then drawing over may help you out until you feel comfortable. Try making the lenses of the glasses wider so that you barely see the ear frames. Normally glasses are a bit bigger so that people can look all around while still in good vision (excepting the sides of the eyes, unfortunately. That's why I like contacts so much). You did the hair and eyes very well though. Again, huge improvement. I know how it is, though. Some days you're just off and can't draw the way you know you have the ability to do.

Uhh, sorry for the mass critique. Especially sorry if you didn't want it. It's only meant to help!
No way, it's fine ! It's not like you're scolding me for stealing candy or anything ! I love you it ! Woo, that was close !
But you got me, I'm playing around with the features on the face and the glasses (I actually wanted to make them smaller to see the potential effect, apart from looking weird that is). Maybe I shouldn't play around so much and just practice :p

Anyway, thanks for the tips ! I'm still a beginner at this so it is certainly welcome.
-- No longer active --

Tetiel
Regular

#4419 Post by Tetiel »

Playing around is good! I don't mean to discourage that. Playing around is how one creates a unique style. As far as the glasses go, you could always make them one of these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pince-nez

Classic xD

DeeKay
Veteran

#4420 Post by DeeKay »

Tetiel wrote:Playing around is good! I don't mean to discourage that. Playing around is how one creates a unique style. As far as the glasses go, you could always make them one of these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pince-nez

Classic xD
Oh I hear you ! Funny how it's a French word and I'm French ! I love how your mind works ! ;)
-- No longer active --

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#4421 Post by chocojax »

Something that I doodled last night, and fixed up this morning. ):
I would be grateful for any critique or redlines. :v
I also need to learn how to draw noses, loool.

MusicaFate
Regular
Organization: Hime*Ko Productions

#4422 Post by MusicaFate »

Oddly Otter wrote:I tried playing with some gif animation the other day. You can see i was doing details on the mouth then just kinda gave up on coloring details the rest haha

I also attempted the animeish style too, not on this image but recently. I cant do it! Can't give them such large eyes o.o Everything always ends up too realistic for me.
@oddly otter - :D it's a really nice drawing!! I could never draw realistically xD it's way too hard for me to get the proportions right. But I think if you want to achieve that realistic look, you should go for a more painted look, perhaps even softer~~ or cleaner lines.
Tetiel wrote:@Musica: I really love the soft skin <3 The hair and folds are also extremely well done! The butterfly barrette is also a nice touch. Composition wise- I think perhaps it would serve really well as someone's desktop wallpaper if you left the purple silhouette off.
Fufufu. ;A; Sadly I couldn't find a large enough pattern!~ However I have the png file :D so I can try to create a better looking desktop background. ^^ Thank you for your complements ~ It means so much coming from a pro like you :D. I think I think I could have done better was shading the ruffles and drawing them but xD They look alright.~
DeeKay wrote:Oh I see what you mean ! I guess I do that automatically, damn work reflexes ! I should make a mental note of that.
And thanks for your kind words but I should say it's not that clean at first ! xD
I wish I could spend more time in improving but oh well...
Nice art by the way ! I like the composition too !
Thank you. :D and everyone just has their own way of improving I guess xD. It's a good thing you are open to advice. LOL I remember I was a person that wasn't open to critiques. owo and by the way. COOL SIGNATURE!~
Free Artist. :) PM ME ?~

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#4423 Post by Hijiri »

Oddly Otter wrote:I also attempted the animeish style too, not on this image but recently. I cant do it! Can't give them such large eyes o.o Everything always ends up too realistic for me.
Large eyes aren't a nessesity, since they're usually used to define "moeness" (cuteness). The anime 'style' isn't set int stone though, since there are many different ways it can be drawn:
This falls in the moe style for example (And is typical in a lot of High School anime and erouge). I know there are a few artists that do a more realistic style, but I can't find many ATM (There was a manga I was shown a while back that had a realistic style, but the style was not in the Uncanny Valley, but in the Uncanny Mariana Trench)
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Oddly Otter

#4424 Post by Oddly Otter »

Thanks for the advice! I'm really liking those hair tutorials. I've been having trouble with hair so thank you so much with that!

I only got a tablet last year and have been terribly busy the past year to really play with it. I also procrastinate enough so coloring is new to me. Currently a lot of my stuff looks sketchy. I need to try with softer colors and more of a painted look but it's a work in progress. I've grown quite a bit as of late in trying to work with digital painting/coloring. Even in doing my line art I end up sketchy. I can't seem to clean things up very well. Any tricks or tips to that?

Here's one of my sketchy ones with a bit of squiggly color for background. I dunno if any of you play Mass Effect but I have a huge lady boner for Kaidan Alenko.

I'm sure that now that I have a VN goal I'll be improving a lot with having something to actually work toward. I tend to have a problem with shapes of faces from the front perspective. I'm okay with like the 3/4 and side views but that straight on gives me some trouble. I can't seem to do the pointed chin much that comes with anime as well. I understand that it isn't always the case to have the pointy chin and big eyes but that's one of the big identifiers of the style. I tried! I have! But it's not for me I don't think. It's what started me on drawing but over time I can't do it anymore. WAY BACK WHEN that is heh. IE like 10 years ago.

chocojax wrote:Something that I doodled last night, and fixed up this morning. ):
I would be grateful for any critique or redlines. :v
I also need to learn how to draw noses, loool.

It seems the nose is too short compared to the forehead. or five head. That's a large forehead! I'm not the best at critique but besides the nose/forehead proportions it looks great! Much better than what I can do as a doodle!

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#4425 Post by chocojax »

Oddly Otter wrote:Even in doing my line art I end up sketchy. I can't seem to clean things up very well. Any tricks or tips to that?
Umm, are you only using your wrist while drawing? It's easier to have cleaner lines when you use your entire arm to draw.
If it's not that, then try to go slowly when you draw rather than going super fast(which is a problem that I had before), and try to do a certain line with just one stroke or a few strokes. :v
Oddly Otter wrote:I tend to have a problem with shapes of faces from the front perspective. I'm okay with like the 3/4 and side views but that straight on gives me some trouble.
Same for me, lool.
Oddly Otter wrote:It seems the nose is too short compared to the forehead. or five head. That's a large forehead! I'm not the best at critique but besides the nose/forehead proportions it looks great! Much better than what I can do as a doodle!
Yeaaah, he looked a lot worse when I first finished. (And thanks for the compliment! :'D)
Just resized a few things, would you say this is better? x: