Ren'Py 6.14 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren'Py 6.14 Released

#61 Post by PyTom »

Juny - are you saving the file as UTF-8, or in some national encoding?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Juny

#62 Post by Juny »

I used Jedit while working with 6.13 and never picked any enconding myself. Switched to Editra for 6.14.1 and again, simply clicked File -> Save.
I just tried going back to Jedit and it does in fact send an error about wrong encodings (Editra instead doesn't). Should I try make new .rpy files and copy over the text in case something went wrong when switching editors?

Jake
Support Hero

#63 Post by Jake »

Juny wrote:I just tried going back to Jedit and it does in fact send an error about wrong encodings (Editra instead doesn't). Should I try make new .rpy files and copy over the text in case something went wrong when switching editors?
I had a few different encodings (and combinations of newline characters) from JEdit over the years, I think largely depending on the computer I was using it on.

One thing you may find useful would be to go into Editra and open the 'Edit' menu, choose 'Preferences', then with 'General' clicked at the top choose the 'Files' tab just below that. Just next to 'Preferred Encoding', drop the list down and choose 'utf_8'.

For some reason when I first downloaded 6.14 and installed Editra, it was defaulting to one of the cpXXXX choices near the top of that list (I guess probably it was whatever the default Windows codepage is for the US or the UK, since I'm running on English-language Windows with UK regional settings?) and it kept complaining when I opened files that the file encoding was 'wrong'.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Juny

#64 Post by Juny »

Jake wrote: One thing you may find useful would be to go into Editra and open the 'Edit' menu, choose 'Preferences', then with 'General' clicked at the top choose the 'Files' tab just below that. Just next to 'Preferred Encoding', drop the list down and choose 'utf_8'.

For some reason when I first downloaded 6.14 and installed Editra, it was defaulting to one of the cpXXXX choices near the top of that list (I guess probably it was whatever the default Windows codepage is for the US or the UK, since I'm running on English-language Windows with UK regional settings?) and it kept complaining when I opened files that the file encoding was 'wrong'.
I tried that, now it keeps asking me to choose an encoding when opening the files, and no matter how many times I choose 'utf_8' it still keep asking without opening them (it went on for over 30 times before I gave up).
I went back to jEdit and after saving everything forcing the 'utf_8' encoding now everything works. I guess I'll stick around with it and forget Editra for the time being.

Thank you very much for all the help!

Jake
Support Hero

#65 Post by Jake »

Juny wrote: I tried that, now it keeps asking me to choose an encoding when opening the files, and no matter how many times I choose 'utf_8' it still keep asking without opening them (it went on for over 30 times before I gave up).
For what it's worth: this suggests that your files were previously saved in some peculiar encoding which can't be interpreted as UTF8. Now you've saved them all as UTF8, you should find that Editra opens them fine without any complaints. (And if it doesn't, that is a bug. Either with Editra or JEdit's UTF8-saving.)

Of course, if you're happy with JEdit and don't particularly want any of the features in Editra, then there's really no reason to use anything but JEdit!
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#66 Post by nyaatrap »

Juny wrote: I tried that, now it keeps asking me to choose an encoding when opening the files, and no matter how many times I choose 'utf_8' it still keep asking without opening them (it went on for over 30 times before I gave up).
Yes it occurs for me too. I always set default encodings of all editors I downloaded as UTF-8 before using them, so I thought It shoudn't occur, but not. It was pain to reset all encoding one by one :|

hugolino
Regular
Projects: Being Thursday

#67 Post by hugolino »

Thanks for the update. I just downloaded it and I like what little I've seen of the changes thus far. :)

WispoWill

#68 Post by WispoWill »

I'm having the exact same problem as Blane Doyle. I cannot get Editra to launch from within RenPy. A crash box comes up for about 3 seconds (barely enough time to mentally register that it's there and to read the message) then disappears again. From this point on Editra remains locked in memory and needs to be killed via Task Manager. This problem occurs whether I install the download package from the RenPy site or use the new launcher to install. I deleted the Renpy folder altogether and redownloaded the package altogether and it still does the same thing. I was finally fast enough to hit the bug report button and the message it tries to send is complaining that one of the toolbar BMP is invalid.

I'm running Windows XP SP3 on a laptop.

Also, with the new launcher... Although it looks nice visually, it was just a bit easier for me to work with when the Launch Project could be chosen from the left side of the screen. My laptop screen isn't but so large and usually my windows are overlapping. The Jedit now covers the two options I use most during a debugging run, requiring extra clicks.

I know that this is a very minor matter, and probably only affects those of us with small screens, but that is my actual first thought about the new launcher.

Bombermans

#69 Post by Bombermans »

I also have Blane Doyle and WispoWill problem. Back in 6.14.0 I couldn't download editra from the launcher. Now in 6.14.1 it's fixed, but editra keeps not working, showing the error during 3 seconds, then closing and staying in memory. I also use Windows XP. :(

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#70 Post by Blane Doyle »

Bombermans wrote:I also have Blane Doyle and WispoWill problem. Back in 6.14.0 I couldn't download editra from the launcher. Now in 6.14.1 it's fixed, but editra keeps not working, showing the error during 3 seconds, then closing and staying in memory. I also use Windows XP. :(
If you have Service Pack 3 it might just be our Operating Systems then. So glad I am buying a laptop.

Code Monkey
Regular
Projects: Dandelion
Organization: Cheritz

#71 Post by Code Monkey »

The new version of 6.14 is great! The bugs I reported before are fixed ^_^

Except now I get one issue.... When trying to archive and build T_T

Has anyone else gotten this? Not even sure where to debug, only shows Renpy source in traceback.
Attachments
renpy_memory_error.jpg

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#72 Post by PyTom »

Is there a chance that you're running out of memory, by trying to pack a truly huge .rpa file?

Code Monkey
Regular

#73 Post by Code Monkey »

The rpa is 1GB actually... But it worked in 6.13 just fine. I tried breaking it up into multiple rpas but still got the same error.

Code Monkey
Regular

#74 Post by Code Monkey »

Fixed. For anyone else getting that issue, if you break down the rpas to be sufficiently small, you wont get a MemoryError.

I'm not sure if this is intentional for 6.14 or I'm missing something but you can no longer pass args to the game. I get the following error

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

Before loading the script.
WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: u'C:\\Users\\My Name\\Desktop\\DandelionFull\\CodeMonkey\\*.*'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\My Name\Desktop\DandelionFull\dandelion\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 228, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Users\My Name\Desktop\DandelionFull\dandelion\renpy\main.py", line 185, in main
WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: u'C:\\Users\\My Name\\Desktop\\DandelionFull\\CodeMonkey\\*.*'

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.14.1.366

It was painful but I did some minor modification to some of Renpy's source to get it to work. The arguments were not being parsed and instead used directly as a path. The changes are minimal for PyTom but is it possible to include these? I don't really want to have a different version of Renpy that is not "standard". Our game needs the args passed to it and it's already finished and live. It's currently running on 6.13 and we want to use 6.14 because it's more stable with Intel Graphics Cards. We've had a lot of users complain about video issues.
Attachments
bootstrap.py
(13.46 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
arguments.py
(8.37 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#75 Post by PyTom »

What are you using arguments for? 6.14 now lets you register commands that can process arguments as necessary.