Visual Novel Writing Contest (planning thread)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Minnfae
Regular
Projects: Undecided

Re: Visual Novel Writing Contest (planning thread)

#46 Post by Minnfae »

I vote 1.
My avatar art is a freebie by SilverHyena. Thanks a lot!

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#47 Post by Nellie »

I vote for #1.

With a ready selection of music, it might (indirectly) narrow down the possibilities of story plots. Maybe that's just me xD

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#48 Post by LVUER »

I vote for number 3. People just need to be creative when they have limited amount of choice. If you don't like the selection, then you don't need to add any music at all. It's a choice.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Ziassan
Veteran

#49 Post by Ziassan »

Just a little warning for the 3 if I may : it will fore sure make a difference between those who used the tracks and those who didn't use : the music and the writing aren't separated things, making a writing with a soundtrack is melting the two (for instance, music carries the mood, the ambience, so if there is not, words have to be more descriptive to make the job the music was doing).

Good luck otherwise, we don't see enough of that kind of contest around here.

Miyuki
Regular
Completed: Culina: The Spirit of Cooking
Organization: TangerineTriangle

#50 Post by Miyuki »

I vote for 1 because as I said before, I generally play these things on mute anyway.

But I think that if you use 3 then everyone needs to use music because the inconsistency will probably effect people at least subconsciously if some use sound and some don't.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#51 Post by Victoria Jennings »

At first, I thought I'd go with 3, but after reading what everybody else has had to say on the topic (particularly Ziassan's warning), I think going with 1 would be your best bet. U:

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#52 Post by OokamiKasumi »

papillon wrote:Heh. Sorry. :) Not quite, though - I'm not writing any game *text*. Just a setup, like "two people meet after a train crash" (but not actually that). You may still hate it though.
It can't hurt to at least look before I make any snap decisions. :)

I like option 3.
-- Music provided as an option adds to the creativity because your writing will either fit with it, or jar against it depending on A) what effect you're trying for, and B) your Skill at writing.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#53 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I think the thing that we want to determine here is this:
Are we testing the writer's skill to adapt to certain restrictions, or are we just having a normal contest? I don't really think we're looking for the latter.

If there aren't enough restrictions, this will just end up being a "make a nice VN" contest. After giving this more and more thought, I think the best idea would be to make it restrictive, to truly test the skills of a writer. With that in mind, I think having option 3 makes sense. Personally, I think that people who complain about the restrictions should just make their own VN for themselves, and not for this contest. :wink:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

MysteriousArtistX
Regular
Projects: A Lifelong Work I'll Eventually Share
Organization: Because Arrrt?

#54 Post by MysteriousArtistX »

Is this only towards Music or SFX as well? I feel like sfx should be permitted but which an amount cap, as sound effects in moderation aren't a big issue typically.

But with music I think either 1 or a more structured version of 4. I think just capping the amount of music that can be used and making it mandatory to be CC would leave the option open for those who want and don't want it. Otherwise there just might as well be no music at all.

Not saying pre-selecting songs would be a bad idea, but seeing how many people seem to be willing to participate in this, hearing those same songs several times could prove... problematic.
"I Believe Everyone Should Have A Game They Can Relate To: That games are an art and no one should be excluded. My games will do this."

Dim Sum
Regular

#55 Post by Dim Sum »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:I think the thing that we want to determine here is this:
Are we testing the writer's skill to adapt to certain restrictions, or are we just having a normal contest? I don't really think we're looking for the latter.

If there aren't enough restrictions, this will just end up being a "make a nice VN" contest. After giving this more and more thought, I think the best idea would be to make it restrictive, to truly test the skills of a writer. With that in mind, I think having option 3 makes sense. Personally, I think that people who complain about the restrictions should just make their own VN for themselves, and not for this contest. :wink:
Nothing wrong with make a nice VN contest. Doesn't hurt LSF if every other month different make a nice VN contest of different themes appear.

Post made me think though: is there award for this? (Nope: Not reward.)

Like maybe poster giving up game would advertise writer? Not just blog about it but really like treat winner as if they not just won show like reality contestant winners and forget them? Think right now there is blind spot to who is fav writer except for forum insiders. Like had to see Bionic Heart 2 topic just to see this poster is top fav writer of certain OELVN genre style. Outsiders still don't know who's who of VN making. Think Jack Norton/Winter Wolves even more pop than SakeVisuals and SakeVisuals even less pop than Christine Love despite making more Japanese looking visuals but RE: Alistair++ more pop than any other VN including Christine Love VNs. If skill to be tested, props should be given to winner to encourage more participants.

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#56 Post by Anarchy »

Ahaha. RE: Alistair++ more popular than Christine Love? Whose works have been featured on numerous popular gaming websites, Steam, and most recently, been nominated for the 2012 Indiecade Awards? Nobody's heard of RE: Alistair outside of the very small, niche OELVN community, and while it is indeed a well-done game, the notion that it's more popular than, say, Analogue or Digital is preposterous. How are you even evaluating "popularity" anyway? What figures are you using?

Also, I vote one. This isn't a contest of music editing skills. If you're a good writer, you should be able to keep the reader's attention even without all the bells and whistles. It rubs me the wrong way because a VN should be about the whole experience, including sound/art/writing/whatever, but since this is a writing contest...

It might even make sense to have submissions purely in script/storyboard form. Like how ScriptFrenzy doesn't expect its participants to come up with full-fledged movies, just the scripts for those movies.

Dim Sum
Regular

#57 Post by Dim Sum »

Anarchy wrote:Ahaha. RE: Alistair++ more popular than Christine Love? Whose works have been featured on numerous popular gaming websites, Steam, and most recently, been nominated for the 2012 Indiecade Awards? Nobody's heard of RE: Alistair outside of the very small, niche OELVN community, and while it is indeed a well-done game, the notion that it's more popular than, say, Analogue or Digital is preposterous. How are you even evaluating "popularity" anyway? What figures are you using?
Googling VN forum threads. Read some stuff.

Example: (see what section it is under)

http://download.cnet.com/RE-Alistair/30 ... 81215.html

Christine Love very recent fad and very different Christine Love hype.

There was Christine Love as unique casual game writer. Bringing unique style to free casual games.

Then there was Christine Love free quality VN maker.

Then there was post-Steam Christine Love hype.

Each fad killing previous brand of Christine Love.

Alistair++ less tagged as VN. More known as simply good free game.

Also predated Christine Love in popularity outside of VN groups.

It like difference between Oscar nominated movie and Keanu movies.

Yes, Christine Love is more "spoken of" but Alistair ++ is more "there".

Not all people talking about Christine Love know full Christine Love. Some might be twitter followers. Other might be following game blogs. It's all over.

Where as people who mention and read Alistair++ know "it's" that game. I haven't finished playing Alistair++ and when read about it in topic, I know it's "that" game from way people talk about. You can't really miss reading Alistair++ and think you're talking about another game just as ppl can't miss Little Fighter for Final Fight or RPG Maker for RenPy.

Christine Love on other hand is "that popular VN maker". Pretty recognizable but her games are all talked differently. Her criticisms are all spread out. Her praises are all spread out. Some talk of her as a feminist maker. Others talk of her only cause Hate is selling so well.

Alistair++ on other hand? Very few even know it's upgraded version of Alistair but type re:alistair in Google and you immediately get Alistair++. As soon as you have inkling of Alistair++, you don't even think of it as VN or updated version of VN. You just think people are mentioning "that" ++ game. It game that people "who are not in the know" don't have to be in "the know" to find out about.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#58 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Anarchy wrote:Also, I vote one. This isn't a contest of music editing skills. If you're a good writer, you should be able to keep the reader's attention even without all the bells and whistles. It rubs me the wrong way because a VN should be about the whole experience, including sound/art/writing/whatever, but since this is a writing contest...

It might even make sense to have submissions purely in script/storyboard form. Like how ScriptFrenzy doesn't expect its participants to come up with full-fledged movies, just the scripts for those movies.
It rubs me wrong for the same reasons, but I believe the plan is to put them all into One game. That's why we're economizing on the music and images. If people added their own graphics, music and SFX, the file size would end up being close to a gig.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#59 Post by Donmai »

My vote is 1 (5 is not a bad idea).
Watching with interest!
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

TakeOverWorld
Regular

#60 Post by TakeOverWorld »

This sounds interesting.
I think, for the sound, as said before, option 3, and you wouldn't have to use the music if you didn't want to.