Web Hosting Questions

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Miyuki
Regular
Completed: Culina: The Spirit of Cooking
Organization: TangerineTriangle

Web Hosting Questions

#1 Post by Miyuki »

So, this is an idea I've been playing with for years and that's having my own domain and website. I think it would be useful to have for a multitude of reasons. I can have a page with my resume on it, I can host future games, I can practice all sorts of webpage coding that you just can't do with a free website.

But well, I've never actually purchased any space or a domain or whatnot. My primary reason for putting it off was not knowing enough about webpage design (a weak excuse as it is since so many places provide templates), but I've taken an HTML/CSS/Javascript course now and completed the final project and I don't really think I have a reason to put it off anymore.

So I ask you, the internet savvy people of lemmasoft, what's a good place to get a domain or host? Is it better to get them at separate places and then try to transfer the domain later? About how much should I pay? I'm sure I can google stuff like this, but there are plenty of people online who thought they had good hosts and then later found out that they weren't so great :| Like say, how trustworthy is this site.

And while I'm at it, I think I might as well ask, does anyone use php anymore? I remember desperately wanting to learn how to use it all through high school, but I don't think I've heard anything about it recently...

Also, what the heck do I do with ad credits?

Thank you for any help you can provide. At this rate, I was thinking about using webs.com just because I'm used to it, but I'm sure that's a horrible reason to pick a hosting provider.

DeeKay
Veteran

Re: Web Hosting Questions

#2 Post by DeeKay »

Miyuki wrote:And while I'm at it, I think I might as well ask, does anyone use php anymore? I remember desperately wanting to learn how to use it all through high school, but I don't think I've heard anything about it recently...
PHP is my life ! :p
Heck, this forum uses PHP for example, Wordpress does and lots of other CMS do as well.
PHP is still widely used as a web server scripting language.

For the domain name, I would make sure to buy it separately so that you hold the rights as owner and not the hosting company, especially if you want to keep it and at some point your website changes location.

As for where to get a decent hosting plan, I only have a French web hosting company in mind right now so that's not going to be of help ^^'
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#3 Post by rioka »

^^^^^^^^ Pretty much what he said.

I use GoDaddy for my domains. As for hosting sites, I've used Bluehost before and I've never had a problem with them. Cheap too! Right now, I'm using Liquidweb and though they're on the pricey side, their customer service can't be beat. Anywhoo, for a list of more web hosts that are recommended, check out this list from Indiegamer forum.

Regarding ads > You can sign up for services like buyads.com or you can go for Google's Adsense. You just drop codes in your site and it'll start showing ads and (hopefully) generating money.

darlo
Regular
Completed: Outlandish Move
Organization: Unorganised

#4 Post by darlo »

Mine are hosted with Modhost. I've never had any downtime (well, not to my knowledge, lol). My domains are UK based, and were bought through a UK company (I'm guessing as the OP is in the states that bit won't help much >_< )

jghibiki
Regular
Projects: Dream's Dénouement, Unannounced RPG framework, Renpy-Safe Logger
Organization: Team Anarky
IRC Nick: jghibiki

#5 Post by jghibiki »

I use Zymic, free web host so all you'd need to do is buy a domain name and then verify the name-servers to redirect to them. Supports PHP and MySQL. Only downside is that a FTP program is required to upload/download/edit any of the site content. Once you get that set up it's pretty smooth sailing.

aeri
Regular
Projects: Thereafter: A Medieval Life, What happens on camera doesn't always stay on camera, etc.
Organization: Meraki Tales
Tumblr: merakitales
itch: merakitales

#6 Post by aeri »

I have been using namecheap for domains a hostgator for hosting if i want to use wordpress or other types of applications :D never had a problem with either of them!

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#7 Post by leon »

This thread - Domain name, hosting and website - How to answers some of your questions.

If your site is going to be related to visual novels, you can get free hosting from redeyesblackpanda - Free File and Web Hosting for VN Related Items Project. It has no limitations, conditions or strings attached.

I could be wrong about this, but I think PHP is still the most widely used web programming language.

jghibiki
Regular
Projects: Dream's Dénouement, Unannounced RPG framework, Renpy-Safe Logger
Organization: Team Anarky
IRC Nick: jghibiki

#8 Post by jghibiki »

I could be wrong about this, but I think PHP is still the most widely used web programming language.
For server side scripting I'd definitely agree. For client side JavaScript with jquery is where it's at.