LSF collab project (was: You know what would be awesome?)

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

Re: LSF collab project (was: You know what would be awesome?

#196 Post by Sapphi »

PyTom wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that giant collab projects are horrible ideas that tend to end in heartbreak and mutual recrimination?
No.
TrickWithAKnife wrote:Potential for hurt feelings?

I know I was kind of one of the ones who suggested it, but it was in a dreamy "Wouldn't it be cool way." In practice, I don't think it is a good idea - unless it evolves naturally like this thread did and does not involve team leaders or hard rules of any sort. :)
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#197 Post by PyTom »

OokamiKasumi wrote:It might not be so bad if you let the individual characters write their own 5-stage routes, romance-able or not, (some of them aren't,) and use a point-based system for encounters. This way encounters and events depend entirely on Protag-kun's choices.
Honestly - I think it comes with the sort of compromises that people have to make in order to work on an overly large team.

Right now, we're in the bright-eyed and bushy-tailed part of the "collaboration", where ideas are free. If the game actually moves into production, you're going to wind up with people spending a lot of time on a project with there. Pretty soon it will become obvious that different people have a different amount of time to spend on the project. Some people want to go in different - and incompatible - directions with it. Your art style is different than mine - here's a redline! And so on...

All I'm saying is that the last giant collab project wound up falling apart, and leading to a lot of hard feelings in the process.

Everyone here is an adult, or at least old enough to be responsible for themselves - but I at least think that someone should give an idea of what you're getting into.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#198 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Sapphi wrote:
PyTom wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that giant collab projects are horrible ideas that tend to end in heartbreak and mutual recrimination?
No.
Nope. Me three! Or is it me four? Does puppet Alice get a vote, because strangely enough, she always agrees with me.... :wink:

I don't actually think this will come to fruition, but it is fun to joke around with.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#199 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I'll pop in here to say that there may or may not be eyes gouged out by the end of this project, and that it won't necessarily be because of a yandere character. :wink:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#200 Post by OokamiKasumi »

PyTom wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote:It might not be so bad if you let the individual characters write their own 5-stage routes, romance-able or not, (some of them aren't,) and use a point-based system for encounters. This way encounters and events depend entirely on Protag-kun's choices.
Honestly - I think it comes with the sort of compromises that people have to make in order to work on an overly large team.

Right now, we're in the bright-eyed and bushy-tailed part of the "collaboration", where ideas are free. If the game actually moves into production, you're going to wind up with people spending a lot of time on a project with there. Pretty soon it will become obvious that different people have a different amount of time to spend on the project. Some people want to go in different - and incompatible - directions with it. Your art style is different than mine - here's a redline! And so on...

All I'm saying is that the last giant collab project wound up falling apart, and leading to a lot of hard feelings in the process.

Everyone here is an adult, or at least old enough to be responsible for themselves - but I at least think that someone should give an idea of what you're getting into.
Honestly? I agree. I doubt this will ever go anywhere, but it makes for good Inspiration and getting to know the personalities of the people here at LSF. People could very well end up teaming up to make other games simply because they've gotten to know each other here.

It IS possible to do something like this, but it would take an Experienced and Dedicated team that was used to working with each other (and with an ungodly amount of free time on their hands,) to make it happen.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#201 Post by Hijiri »

OokamiKasumi wrote: People could very well end up teaming up to make other games simply because they've gotten to know each other here.
This, this very much.

And no, it is not wrong to believe that a collab project would collapse in on itself After having experienced one and almost dealing with another reason being that you're working with different people who do things a different way, that the only real way to handle it well would be to split everyone into mini-teams, people who work well with one another, and then bring the work together.

As for hurt feelings, yes, there will be iof there is a fallout, and you might even get someone to do everything they can to try and get rid of you.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

MysteriousArtistX
Regular
Projects: A Lifelong Work I'll Eventually Share
Organization: Because Arrrt?

#202 Post by MysteriousArtistX »

OokamiKasumi wrote:No Way! She totally looks like a cool sempai!
-- Awesome bewbs too.
Now you have to put her in a mock VN setting!

---

I would love to see your two characters cross paths!
Ha ha aww shucks thanks! :oops: Lol I'm pretty sure our paths meeting will end in disaster though XD
PyTom wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that giant collab projects are horrible ideas that tend to end in heartbreak and mutual recrimination? And that making it a self-insert giant collab project is only going to make the inevitable collapse that much greater?

I understand where you're coming from. I do see how this could go terribly wrong and wont even deny that factor. But I don't think it's a bad idea either, I think it just depends on who take it up and the level of organization behind it.

I agree with Deekay, that the formula would probably have to be The Main Team is small group and the community provides them with whatever they ask for. But it would of course require a series of maybe strict deadlines and guidelines defining the character roles from the get go.

Regardless I would be down to contribute to this on either side of the spectrum. I think it's a cool idea... at least in theory for now. But then again it is in that philosophical stage right now.
"I Believe Everyone Should Have A Game They Can Relate To: That games are an art and no one should be excluded. My games will do this."

DeeKay
Veteran

#203 Post by DeeKay »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Does puppet Alice get a vote, because strangely enough, she always agrees with me.... :wink:
Puppet Alice gets a vote of course ! xD
OokamiKasumi wrote:Honestly? I agree. I doubt this will ever go anywhere, but it makes for good Inspiration and getting to know the personalities of the people here at LSF. People could very well end up teaming up to make other games simply because they've gotten to know each other here.
Totally in agreement here ! And it's not because I like you or anything ! It's just because it gets people acquainted and they could very well end up trying to make creative things together ! Nothing more !
Ugh... that was a typical tsundere reaction, why did I do that !?
Hijiri wrote:As for hurt feelings, yes, there will be iof there is a fallout, and you might even get someone to do everything they can to try and get rid of you.
I won't let that happen ! Justice shall prevail !
No... I haven't been drinking weird stuff, I'm just being random.
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#204 Post by TsukiShima »

Well, if this were to be an official project (and if I may or may not be in it), can I request that the 'Saint Lemma Academy' to just 'Lemma Academy' or 'High School Lemma'? It could offend.. well.. some people.

I think the points are all made... It's not impossible, but it's difficult.
Nonetheless, people can still dream. Beside, just simply role-playing here on the thread seemed fun and it did attracted a number of people. :D

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#205 Post by Deji »

I keep thinking we could this as a "for fun" project. Without being too serious, without expending too much time on the art or the writing, just for laughs ;)

In any case, just hanging around this thread has been lots of fun, regardless of the outcome!
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#206 Post by Sharm »

I get sick for a day and miss pages worth of stuff! This thread is very fun. BTW my avatar is a self portrait, just idealized to make me look more healthy.

OokamiKasumi, I'm not a flirt, I'm actually pretty shy but I'm so open about my opinions not many people believe it (flirting is the player's job). I do like playful teasing and dry wit. I'd also rather be a crafty teacher, I'm in my 30's, being a student is going too far back in time. ^_^

Personally, I think the best way to get this done would be to have one person take the idea and run away with it, keeping the WIP easily accessible to the people who are being characterized. It'll end up very influenced by this one person's direction but it's also much more likely to be coherent and finished.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

DeeKay
Veteran

#207 Post by DeeKay »

HanaMori wrote:Beside, just simply role-playing here on the thread seemed fun and it did attracted a number of people. :D
Oooh don't get me started on that, I'm good at this ! ^^
Deji wrote:I keep thinking we could this as a "for fun" project. Without being too serious, without expending too much time on the art or the writing, just for laughs ;)

In any case, just hanging around this thread has been lots of fun, regardless of the outcome!
Yeah, that's what I think too right now. I also come across people I haven't interacted with yet so that's nice :wink:
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#208 Post by Deji »

Sharm wrote: Personally, I think the best way to get this done would be to have one person take the idea and run away with it, keeping the WIP easily accessible to the people who are being characterized. It'll end up very influenced by this one person's direction but it's also much more likely to be coherent and finished.
That won't work, since it's too much work for one person or a small team to handle =/

Ideally, each person would handle their own routes and art if they want o be part of the game, I think, but since not everybody can draw or can write, I think the best would be trading skills: "I write your route if you draw art for mine".
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#209 Post by OokamiKasumi »

HanaMori wrote:Well, if this were to be an official project (and if I may or may not be in it), can I request that the 'Saint Lemma Academy' to just 'Lemma Academy' or 'High School Lemma'? It could offend.. well.. some people.
We went with Saint Lemma originally because of the name - LemmaSoft --> LS - -SL <-- Saint Lemma.
HanaMori wrote:I think the points are all made... It's not impossible, but it's difficult. Nonetheless, people can still dream.
Exactly.
HanaMori wrote:Beside, just simply role-playing here on the thread seemed fun and it did attracted a number of people. :D
I got to know a Lot of people I'd seen around, but never quite spoke to on a friendly basis.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#210 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Sharm wrote:OokamiKasumi, I'm not a flirt, I'm actually pretty shy but I'm so open about my opinions not many people believe it (flirting is the player's job). I do like playful teasing and dry wit. I'd also rather be a crafty teacher, I'm in my 30's, being a student is going too far back in time. ^_^
Oh! I just went by what you wrote originally. Do you want to be the Arts & Crafts teacher, or do you have a specific craft in mind?