Wikipedia articles on Ren'py.

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
south desert islander
Regular

Wikipedia articles on Ren'py.

#1 Post by south desert islander »

I did a bit of digging in the forums and on Wikipedia. The article for Ren'ai is rather small, which is fine, but a lot of info on it should be on a diffrent page devoted to the Ren'py software. The problem is, I am still new about Ren'py and I don't know the history or the people who started this little sensation on the net. Since this seems where most of the ideas for Ren'py games come out, I am assuming some people here knows a great deal about the topic.

To the point I think a Wikipedia article for Ren'py should be done. But it must be done carefully, I seen many articles on the site just die out from poor constructions. Wikipedia articles are not constructed in a day, nor can should we make it an ad for Ren'py (that should be a second reason.) It does not matter if the article itself it large, we just need something with facts and a bit of history and purpose to tell people about this software for a larger audience.

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#2 Post by Counter Arts »

Hmm... so what is the best chance for it to actually stay on there? Facts? Here are somethings off the top of my head.

There is an article somewhere here about the history of ren'py.

There were some games written in ren'py for that "make-a-Ren'ai-game-in-a-month" contest.

There isn't a blade engine article up yet.

The term "ren'ai" in the english wikipeida is being disupted and currently up for deletion soon. So I guess caution on using that term is advised.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#3 Post by mikey »

Counter Arts wrote:The term "ren'ai" in the english wikipeida is being disupted and currently up for deletion soon. So I guess caution on using that term is advised.
Well, I think it's a perfectly valid term. It shouldn't depend on Wikipedia. The related terms like bishoujo game and visual novel on Wikipedia are mostly described from the Japanese point of view, whereas ren'ai game in that Wikipedia article is typically the Western way of looking at it, specifically this community, related to ren'py. But generally, calling romantic games ren'ai can't be wrong. But if they delete the article, well, life will continue. ^_^
south desert islander wrote: I am still new about Ren'py and I don't know the history or the people who started this little sensation on the net
There are a couple of articles at http://www.renaigames.net there's also a English Fan-made Ren'Ai history article there (by me, hmmm)
http://www.renaigames.net/art_mikey2.html

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Counter Arts »

mikey wrote:
Counter Arts wrote:The term "ren'ai" in the english wikipeida is being disupted and currently up for deletion soon. So I guess caution on using that term is advised.
Well, I think it's a perfectly valid term. It shouldn't depend on Wikipedia. The related terms like bishoujo game and visual novel on Wikipedia are mostly described from the Japanese point of view, whereas ren'ai game in that Wikipedia article is typically the Western way of looking at it, specifically this community, related to ren'py. But generally, calling romantic games ren'ai can't be wrong. But if they delete the article, well, life will continue. ^_^
Hehe... I couldn't allow the arguement for deletion to slip without me giving my counter-example. Everyone else argued that not all ren'ai games are dating sims. I argued that not all dating sims are ren'ai games.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#5 Post by mikey »

Agreed, it's a kind of a term matrix, as with most of the terms from this area. So you can have a ren'ai DS as well as a non-ren'ai DS (such as probably the Flash sim dates I suppose, love is a statistic in there, so it's not really that romantic).

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

mikey wrote:(such as probably the Flash sim dates I suppose, love is a statistic in there, so it's not really that romantic).
Well, I don't think modelling love as a stat necessarily prevents the game from being romantic... I think it's an independent thing. I mean, we have hidden-stats games that qualify.

Counter Arts >>> If you want to give an example, you should do it on the AfD page, not the article talk page.

I would think Ren'Py barely qualifies for Wikipedia. We've had a couple of published articles, and a few interviews for websites. I think it's marginal.

It's not clear what the article would contain, though. Well, good think I'm disqualified from writing it.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Counter Arts »

PyTom wrote:Counter Arts >>> If you want to give an example, you should do it on the AfD page, not the article talk page.
Oops, fixed it! My first time doing this so... ehehehe.

Ah... well it looks like I have checkmate. If not then I am pretty sure can get more ammo. lol... I so grateful that I am studing computer science and am doing all those proofs. It was kinda fun actually as the argument for deletion had a second problem, the first one being that not all ren'ai games are dating sims.

In anycase... there's a few published articles and interviews on websites? Who got the interview and by whom. I didn't know ren'py had that much popularity. If so... then that's awesome.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

IIRC, there were a few articles on Ren'Py in GX magazine, an Italian magazine devoted to bishoujo games. I was also interviewed for animefringe, which you can read here: http://www.animefringe.com/magazine/200 ... ial/05.php
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom