Adversity Comp - Visual Novel Writing Contest - Sept 2012

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Adversity Comp - Visual Novel Writing Contest - Sept 2012

#1 Post by papillon »

Adversity Comp - Limited Strength Edition
The Idea:

Start with the same prompt and the same resources and use the power of your words to make something that's not-so-samey.

The Prompt:

You lived an unexceptional life, until one night you saw what appeared to be a falling star. Tracking it to its landing spot, you found a young woman lying on the ground. This girl is not human, but a spirit... the spirit of disaster!

The Resources:

Download this zip and unpack it as a folder in your RenPy projects directory. Contains sprites, backgrounds, and music. The sprites and backgrounds are already set up with names in the script.rpy file.

The Competition:

Write a story that lints to a minimum of 1000 words and a maximum of 10,000 words. This story may be in any genre, and may or may not include branching, but it must relate in some way to the prompt.

To create your story, rename myentry.rpy to whatever you want to call your entry. Write all of your story and all of your code within that one rpy file - that is the only thing you will be submitting. Leave the rest of the supplied rpy files alone, other than putting a link to your own story into the script.rpy so that you can launch and test your game.

Before the end of September, 2012, you must email your rpy file to owner@hanakogames.com along with the name of your entry. I will reply to confirm receipt. If you're having trouble reaching me by email, you can PM me on the forums.

The Prizes:

$50 USD payable via PayPal, supplied by papillon
$50 USD payable via PayPal, supplied by ThisIsNoName
An anime figure, supplied by Sapphi
1 Hanako Games CD (see list of games available here) sent by mail

(If you cannot receive paypal payments, I can send it to a person or cause you nominate. If mail in your country is extremely unreliable, a downloadable game can be substituted for a CD at your choice. Customs and taxes and the like are your responsibility.)

First place winner gets first pick of prizes, and so on down the list. More prizes may or may not be added to the list as the competition continues - anyone want to donate something?

The Rules:

You do not have to use all the supplied resources, or any at all, but you may not add any more resources. No external graphics or sound. Only what you are supplied, and what you can create from that using RenPy's functions.

Whatever code you use, your entry must be able to run under RenPy 6.13. It is your responsibility to test this if you develop under a different version.

You may enter multiple stories in the same contest if you so desire. You may work with a partner if you want, but a winning entry will receive only one prize sent to one person, so splitting any winnings will be your responsibility!

Contest entries must be publicly anonymous and unreleased. Please don't tell people which game is yours or post it publicly elsewhere, I don't want to have to mess with disqualifying entries!

By entering you vouch that the story you are submitting is the original work of yourself and/or any partners. (And I'm vouching that the resources supplied are, afaik, okay for use in this contest. They will be fully credited in the final package release.) The sprite, music, and backgrounds are NOT necessarily available for use outside of this contest and anything made with them cannot be sold. Just in case anyone had ideas. :)

The final release will have all the games packed together into one download. I may have to edit some entries slightly in order to avoid namespace collisions, I will do my best not to break anyone's game.

The Judging:

Sometime after the entries have been submitted, I will create a special release with all the stories included and put it up for the public. That will begin the Discussion Period.

During the discussion period, people should talk about individual entries, discuss what they do well/badly, compare them to each other, etc.Trying to guess who wrote what is rude and should be avoided.

The discussion period will last for at least one week, possibly more depending on how the discussion is going.

At the end of the discussion period, anyone (OTHER THAN ME) who has taken part in the discussion will be allowed to vote on their top 3 entries. Votes should be sent to me by PM. Lurker votes will be discarded!

You are allowed to tell people what you are voting for if you want to. (But still, don't identify yourself as a particular entry's author, if you are one.)

----

I am a very scatter-brained person at times. If I have left out the obvious or put in dead links, PLEASE TELL ME SO.
Last edited by papillon on Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

Re: Adversity Comp - Visual Novel Writing Contest - Sept 201

#3 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

Count me in.

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#4 Post by Desu_Cake »

Deffo entering.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by CheeryMoya »

Hm... heterochromatic catgirl? I'll see if I have enough time to whip something up for this.

Miyuki
Regular
Completed: Culina: The Spirit of Cooking
Organization: TangerineTriangle

#6 Post by Miyuki »

Whelp, I wish everyone the best! I hope I finish x.X

Stainless_Steel
Regular

#7 Post by Stainless_Steel »

Count me in! Good luck everyone. :mrgreen:

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

I'm not a writer, but I'm definitely in!
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Nimuell
Regular
Projects: Cold Hands, Beautiful Boring People

#9 Post by Nimuell »

Me too, I'll try it)
Good luck, everyone!
True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new. (c) Antoine de Saint-Exupery
http://www.nimuell.deviantart.com/

Takanashi
Regular

#10 Post by Takanashi »

"the spirit of disaster!"
no... NO!

She is so adorable :( she can't be!

rasburn
Regular

#11 Post by rasburn »

This sounds like fun :D especially if you're new and haven't made any VN before, like me.

I have a question about the prompt though. Should it be included by us in any way? Will it be displayed before games are started? Exactly what does "prompt" mean? :P

And I really like the variation and style of the art and music (though the top of her head is outside the screen?). Did you draw the sprite? :)

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#12 Post by Sapphi »

Great prompt.
I'll see what I can do with this...
*cracks knuckles*
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#13 Post by papillon »

rasburn wrote:This sounds like fun :D especially if you're new and haven't made any VN before, like me.

I have a question about the prompt though. Should it be included by us in any way? Will it be displayed before games are started? Exactly what does "prompt" mean? :P
It's the suggestion of what to write about. Those actual lines do not need to be included anywhere, they're just the unifying theme meant to tie it all together.
And I really like the variation and style of the art and music (though the top of her head is outside the screen?). Did you draw the sprite? :)
Her head is wherever you put it - you may need to look at some simple code to figure out how to place/scale her to best effect. :)

And no, I cannot Art. Sprite is by http://wintercupcake.deviantart.com/ and commissioned for this contest.

MysteriousArtistX
Regular
Projects: A Lifelong Work I'll Eventually Share
Organization: Because Arrrt?

#14 Post by MysteriousArtistX »

Welp! Here we go!
"I Believe Everyone Should Have A Game They Can Relate To: That games are an art and no one should be excluded. My games will do this."

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Victoria Jennings »

[snip]

EDIT: Also, no surprised expression? U';
Last edited by Victoria Jennings on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.