Break Chance Memento [RELEASED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Cinnamoon
Regular
Projects: Crystal Aria ~Starlight (20%), かわいいなリズム (38%)
Organization: CoffeeCat

Re: Break Chance Memento [BxB] [Sci-Fi Murder Mystery]

#151 Post by Cinnamoon »

Auro, this is wonderful ! Natsume really is cute :)
I can't wait~ *___*

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#152 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@Cinnamoon, Thank you ^_^ I hope it lives up to your expectations~

I've finished Chiaki's and Shuuki's new outfits, all the minor edits are done, which just leaves a couple characters with minor pose edits, one I have to just finish off and Natsume. And then I'm done. Done.

I will be starting on the CGs this weekend. I'm actually going to be doing it properly and sketching them all out first before any thing else (I've learnt things! Wheeeeeee).

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#153 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I am very happy to announce that I have finally, finally finished editing the sprites *u* It's taken me 1 and a half, but I finally got there. The main sprites even got 2 extra outfits.

Now I can finally start working on the CGs, which I've been looking forward to for a long time. I have some exciting things planned for them, especially since I want to do the writing justice. I'm not even kidding, I'm going to have to do something impressive to balance some of these scenes.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#154 Post by Camille »

So who'd like to help us come up with names for these side characters? Because I'm getting a little tired of calling them Masaharu's classmate 1, 2, and 3. XD I mean, I could pick names myself, but if anyone has names they think might fit, feel free to throw them out there. :3

Image Image Image

Any suggestions for first names are welcome as long as they're:

A) Japanese first names
B) Male first names
C) not already used by a current character

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#155 Post by Blane Doyle »

Minoru is a name I would love to see used, probably for the guy on the left. I'm also for Jiro, Hiro, and Toshi for the other guys.

... I don't know why these are the first ones that popped into my head.

AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

#156 Post by AshenhartKrie »

Oooh the art looks good. ^_^ and the story sounds interesting. Good lucky~

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

myapple
Regular
Projects: RoG2.0, Stirling
Organization: red inc.

#157 Post by myapple »

Kyouhei?
Ryouta, Takahiro, Yuu?

Name are way too fun, eheh~

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#158 Post by Camille »

Since something-hiro seems to be pretty popular for the blond guy, we'll probably go with something like that for him. XD Thanks for the suggestions, Blane and myapple!

I've got two new screencaps from the game... New BG, altered textbox, and new sprites~ All put together like this:

I'll probably update again a bit later today or tomorrow so you guys can see the other characters in action a bit, too. I'm really excited for the art in the game to finally be at its final stage even though it's doubled my workload since I have to code/export all of these as well as write and program the rest of the game. XD Auro's now working on more tints as well as the CGs at last! :3

Endorphin
Veteran

#159 Post by Endorphin »

Good work, both of you. x3
I just love the tinting. <3
The atmosphere of the screens is great--can't wait to see these combined with Camille's writing. *___*

- R.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#160 Post by Blane Doyle »

Aaaaaaah these look so good! I can't wait to see more! I don't reply to these updates as often as I should, I always enjoy them.

Explosions&NickCage
Regular

#161 Post by Explosions&NickCage »

The backgrounds are great and the lighting and mirror in the first picture are great touches, but the eyes in the second one are kind of off. I don't know if they're supposed to be looking at each other or not.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#162 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@Ryouko, You and me both! I'm so excited to see it come together *u*

@Blane, Thank you :) Really pleased that you think they look okay.

@Explosions&NickCage, Technically, no XD It's kind of one of the restrictions of the image, since the eyes are facing directly forward, which works for when they are further away, alone or speaking to a character off screen, but does look a little off when they are closer together. It is fixable, it would just require an extra set of eyes, though it is something I'll have to think on if it's worth it since at this point it would be a little fiddly to do. Really they should be profiles if they are talking to each other (who stands like that to speak to someone next to them?) but that wouldn't be very interesting to look at and make emotions pretty hard to read. It's kind of like with a lot of VNs where the main character is off screen it looks fine when the characters are talking to you, but then they talk to each other without looking at each other. Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely have to contemplate it :)

So far with the tinting I'm most of the way through page 1 of 5 pages which represent Chapters 1-3. Though by the end we should be covering most of the instances so I expect some of the later ones to be shorter. They can be fiddly, but they do look quite nice *u*

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#163 Post by Camille »

I've updated the first post in this thread with new character portraits, screencaps, and progress information. And since I'm a few days late on posting more screencaps, I took a couple more than planned~

Zac Efr—I mean, Ryou isn't very happy. :c (he's that infamous guy who's in bed in the love hotel BG) Post-breakup scene... You'll get to see a bit more of him in later flashbacks/time travel shenanigans since he and Shuuki actually did date for quite a while.

Close-up on Chiaki. I used to really hate shrinking down the sprites because a lot of the details in Auro's art would be lost, but now in some scenes (usually when there's just one or two characters alone) I've coded in close-up sprites that are waist-up instead of thigh-up. You really can see the subtleties of their expressions a lot better this way.

See? A long time! ...In Shuuki's terms, anyway.

Because they are effortless for him? 8D Poor Masa. He'll always be #2! These are also close-up sprites.

I couldn't decide between the previous screencap and this one, so I just chose to include both so you can see both characters with their eyes open at one point. XD

As fun as it is coming up with new expressions and making the game look nice and shiny, all this excitement has been distracting me from writing, so I'll have to get back to work on that. :c

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#164 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I finished doing the tints for what is known of chapters 1-3. I love my lists by the way.

And now I have started working on the CGs, which has caused me to do the silent mental equivalent of running around in circles screaming 'I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING'. I'm rather concerned that the compositions are too... straight forward and not exciting enough. Plus apart from the really obvious important scenes I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else to draw, because I pretty much want to draw everything. If anyone has any advice for approaching CGs, whether it's compositions, planning or choosing, I would LOVE to hear it :3

Here, have some mildly freaked out Shuuki. If he doesn't spend at least some time huddled in a ball rocking back and forth from trauma, Camille and I aren't doing our jobs properly.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#165 Post by Blane Doyle »

*totally not mildly fangirling over all this, nope, not at all*

I LOVE previews and behind the scenes stuff like this so much you have no idea.