Line of Heroes [GxB][Arabian Night Fantasy]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
modesty
Regular
Completed: Line of Heroes
Projects: Captive Finwife, Trouble Brewing, Human Experiments

Line of Heroes [GxB][Arabian Night Fantasy]

#1 Post by modesty »

Summary/Plot
Mara, the daughter of a Legend struggles to find a way to rise from the shadow of her Father's legacy. Part of her heart craves adventure but the other part is too afraid to exceed the expectations of her tribe. While trying to find herself, her Father the Hero of Legend goes missing. With the help of her friends and rivals, Mara seeks to take destiny into her own hands. She finds herself on the adventure she never wanted but a strength she's never known. Will the trials strengthen her heart or break it?

Rating: Teen+ for ideologically sensitive subject matter

Features:
-5 different Endings with some variations
-4 romance options
-30,000+ words/ 2,692 screens of dialogue
-Optional "dungeon mini-game" (It's more like a text-based adventure really).

Screen shots

Downloads
http://www.sass-studio.com/LineofHeroes-all.zip
(I apologize in advance. It's a 151 MB file. I will update it with a space saving version someday.)
Alternate download: http://www.mediafire.com/?lbffmgsfb7b3aww

Credits/Extras
This is actually sort of my first Visual Novel using Ren'Py. It took nearly 3 years to complete. So I'm very relieved to finally release this version of the game.
All scripts, code, and a majority of the art was done by myself.
Audio and several backgrounds were from CC sites and have been credited in the game.

I sincerely hope you enjoy this work. ^^

Quick Tips
The "dungeon" areas are optional. You can skip the puzzles and simply continue with the story by selecting "Back Out" at the beginning of the Dungeon.

Selecting "flirty" options will reveal different layers of the story so definitely check those out! However, if you only select flirting options, you'll affect the endings available to you.

More tips can be found on the wiki page:http://lineofheroes.wikispaces.com
Last edited by modesty on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eumumii

Re: Line of Heroes [GxB][Arabian Night Fantasy]

#2 Post by eumumii »

YAY! It's finally done!
I've been stalking this even though I wasn't a member at that time so now I am so CONGRATS! I'll play it as soon as I get back home!

Hiddlestoners
Regular
Completed: Thinking Of You [KN]
Projects: PERPLEXITY [Mystery VN], simplicity [KN,Fluff,GxB,BxG]

#3 Post by Hiddlestoners »

/downloads.
I'll edit this when I finish playing :3

Edit:
Ok! I just finished playing it and I must admit it was amazing :') The art and the music fitted perfectly together and the storyline was a good one, but I found it slightly rushed - especially with the romancing of the obtainables - all I did was choose a choice which seemed 'flirty' and I got an ending?
I went for Lucios btw.
Also, I'm a bit confused...
at the end, I chose 'Call for Lucios' and then the next thing you know I was at the Queen's palace? Lucios did speak about the whole 'how my broken heart became a seal' thingy, so does that mean Shamir/Thief King was sealed within Mara? O.o
I also encountered an issue, which didn't really interrupt my gameplay, but I thought I should mention anyway.
When I was at Sea Temple I was clicking the directions when I went backwards and suddenly I was in the temple with Lucios again?! I got a bit confused xD
So yeah, lovely game! I look forward to your other games ^^
ENOSHIMA BOWL!

Aedin
Regular

#4 Post by Aedin »

Wow, you did a really good job. I loved this. It was a good balance of cuteness, seriousness, and humour.
I went for Shamir first. D'awhh, he's just adorable.
Also, I loved my brother's one chin hair. Mmm, sessy.
Rama is hilarious, especially when it involves Neir.
"I sincerely hope your motives are sadistic."
Anyhow, you did a lovely job. Wonderful game.
Hiddlestoners wrote:I also encountered an issue, which didn't really interrupt my gameplay, but I thought I should mention anyway.
When I was at Sea Temple I was clicking the directions when I went backwards and suddenly I was in the temple with Lucios again?! I got a bit confused xD
I got that too. I just had to go back and skip the maze.
"There’s no shame in pleasure, Mr. Gray. You see, man just wants to be happy, but society wants him to be good. And when he’s good, man is rarely happy, and when he’s happy he is always good."

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#5 Post by ludeshka »

Hmmm, I really like your artwork. It looks like stills of some animated film! You're very good at coloring :)
I'll download this! :)

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#6 Post by distorsion »

It's out! *downloads*
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

modesty
Regular

#7 Post by modesty »

eumumii wrote:YAY! It's finally done!
I've been stalking this even though I wasn't a member at that time so now I am so CONGRATS! I'll play it as soon as I get back home!
Awesome. Secret fans are the best!
Hiddlestoners wrote: Ok! I just finished playing it and I must admit it was amazing :') The art and the music fitted perfectly together and the storyline was a good one, but I found it slightly rushed - especially with the romancing of the obtainables - all I did was choose a choice which seemed 'flirty' and I got an ending?
Thank you very much for playing and giving me feedback. :) Romances were intentionally simple to obtain since I considered them more of a pick your own romance option instead of a "win him over" by earning many points.
Hiddlestoners wrote: Also, I'm a bit confused...
at the end, I chose 'Call for Lucios' and then the next thing you know I was at the Queen's palace? Lucios did speak about the whole 'how my broken heart became a seal' thingy, so does that mean Shamir/Thief King was sealed within Mara? O.o
Up to interpretation. :3 //end lazy comment
In all seriousness it is however you want to interpret it. How I interpret it is that the romance option helps Mara slay Shamir/Thief king and all the seals from before (the sword and 3 djinn seals) worked. It could also be said that they help her use the "Broken Heart" seal obtained from Shamir's mother.
Hiddlestoners wrote: I also encountered an issue, which didn't really interrupt my gameplay, but I thought I should mention anyway.
Thanks Hiddlestoners and Aedin for catching that. I found the rogue label and fixed it. I'll re-upload the fixed version today.
Aedin wrote:Wow, you did a really good job. I loved this. It was a good balance of cuteness, seriousness, and humour.
I went for Shamir first. D'awhh, he's just adorable.
Also, I loved my brother's one chin hair. Mmm, sessy.
Rama is hilarious, especially when it involves Neir.
Anyhow, you did a lovely job. Wonderful game.
Thanks so much for checking it out. I'm really glad you enjoyed it.
ludeshka wrote:Hmmm, I really like your artwork. It looks like stills of some animated film! You're very good at coloring
Thank you very much. It took a VERY long time to make all the sprites for the game in this particular style. So I'm glad they're appreciated.
distorsion wrote:It's out! *downloads*
YES! FINALLY!! :lol:

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#8 Post by fioricca »

omg I haven't finished this game yet but can I just spazz over here because

asdfgskdfjg the plot the characters idk if I'm at that point where I have to go for a character but I CAN'T CHOOSE the childhood friend is sweet and dreamy in his naivete, the prince has a strength of his own which really intrigues me in that I want to know what he'll do next and how Mara will shake him off like dust on Rama's butt, while the Shadow clan dude is just. Charismatic and smooth and great in general. Aaaaahhh I love the characters so much; this is really different to the traditional take of VNs that I've played, and the inclusion of the gender theme makes it so much fun. The plot is great, I just want to keep going to know what'll happen next. THIS CAN'T BE YOUR FIRST GAME it's too good to be a first game.........

Thank you thank you for persevering and making this game ;____; guhhhh everyone in hereeeee I want to take them all home with meeee

I just finished the dance event and cleared Shamir's cockblock btw rofl. He definitely has an attitude, but I like jerk characters orz

... okay now the princesses just gave her gifts awww man this sisterhood is so sweet

this game this game ;__;

eta; omg Rama is a bit of an M it's hilarious in an awesome way

also have I mentioned that I love how the last boss is called the Thief King oh man all my YGO feelings -- o/////o

nefferinthia
Regular

#9 Post by nefferinthia »

Wow, this game was so original. It would do well as a roleplaying game I think, or something Zelda-esque. I thought your art style was unique and cute and I liked that there were many characters. I guess my favorites were Rama and Shamir. I felt bad for Shamir when Mara was mean to him, he didn't even do anything wrong half the time xD But yeah, awesome game, keep up the good work n___n

modesty
Regular

#10 Post by modesty »

Harumi Fujyoshi wrote:Wow, this game was so original. It would do well as a roleplaying game I think, or something Zelda-esque. I felt bad for Shamir when Mara was mean to him, he didn't even do anything wrong half the time xD But yeah, awesome game, keep up the good work n___n
O____O You guessed my deep dark secret. It was originally going to be an RPG game. (And the original iteration was kind of a Zelda Fangame. >_> Obvious influence is obvious.)
Yeah turns out Mara is kind of a spoiled B**** at times. You have to wonder about the real reason its difficult for her to find suitors. ;)
Thanks for playing and giving feedback!
fioricca wrote: Aaaaahhh I love the characters so much; this is really different to the traditional take of VNs that I've played, and the inclusion of the gender theme makes it so much fun. The plot is great, I just want to keep going to know what'll happen next. THIS CAN'T BE YOUR FIRST GAME it's too good to be a first game.........

Thank you thank you for persevering and making this game ;____; guhhhh everyone in hereeeee I want to take them all home with meeee
It's my first Ren'Py game. I've been a comic artist/animator/writer for over a decade...this was just another medium of visual storytelling. (And I have a Master's degree in Game Design...but that doesn't really count for much.)
I'm glad the characters are so appealing. Thank you very much for playing...and gushing.

icebluehost
Regular
Projects: The Aces

#11 Post by icebluehost »

Harumi Fujyoshi wrote:It's my first Ren'Py game. I've been a comic artist/animator/writer for over a decade...this was just another medium of visual storytelling. (And I have a Master's degree in Game Design...but that doesn't really count for much.)
you...You...YOU! *is green with envy*

Do you know that you have the life/career/talent that I've always dreamed of? I always wanted to be a comic artist/animator/writer and have a Master's Degree in Game Design!!!! Do not ever count yourself short over your skills because they are really incredible if put to good use. And it's clear that you've been putting them to good use.

But look at me going on. I haven't even played your game yet! LOL I'm still going to download it. But I've been reading comments so I have a feeling that this one is going to be good XD

modesty
Regular

#12 Post by modesty »

icebluehost wrote: Do you know that you have the life/career/talent that I've always dreamed of? I always wanted to be a comic artist/animator/writer and have a Master's Degree in Game Design!!!! Do not ever count yourself short over your skills because they are really incredible if put to good use. And it's clear that you've been putting them to good use.

But look at me going on. I haven't even played your game yet! LOL I'm still going to download it. But I've been reading comments so I have a feeling that this one is going to be good XD
Lol...Thanks. I should clarify, that I'm not a comic artist/writer/animator professionally. Just as a hobby. My career is in game/simulation development though. ^^ I was a level designer for a few iPhone games and now I am a QA tester for a simulation/software development company.

In anycase, I hope you enjoy the game. ^^

Chizuka

#13 Post by Chizuka »

Not able to download the file, it fails. T^T
Could you reupload?

modesty
Regular

#14 Post by modesty »