Mandatory Introductionary Topic

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Raikiri
Regular

Mandatory Introductionary Topic

#1 Post by Raikiri »

First and foremost, I'd like to thank Tom and the users here for great documentation, as well as general helpfulness when it comes to less experience users. I have to say that I was positively suprised when I saw that people here were actually helping out instead of simply saying "use the search function lol n00b", which seems to be the norm on most of the forums I frequent(ed), software related or otherwise. On with the introduction:

Hi there! I'm Kenny/Raikiri (use whatever you prefer), 18 years old, male and living in Sweden. I'm kind of a geek, my interests being computer pogramming/gaming, anime/manga, writing stories, D&D and music, progressive metal being my favorite subgenre.

Having tried quite a number of game types/programming languages/game making engines the past couple of years (and abandoning an equally large number of projects), I decided that my next project would be a Visual Novel. I found out about Ren'Py via Google after I had tried using NScripter and Blade, both of which I couldn't work effectively with for various reasons.

Using the story of a manga that I've had in my head for a year but never got around to start on, I started working on my first major VN project, Crimson Thunder, a week ago. I'm also working on a smaller project, Bäckäng Royale (A Battle Royale parody, Bäckäng being the name of my school) as part of my Multimedia class.

Well, that's all. Based on my impressions of this forum, I won't have to regret spending some time here from now on. :D

See you around!
Lucifer status:
It Will Be Done When It's Done™

Keitsu Han'ei
Regular

#2 Post by Keitsu Han'ei »

lol normally introduction is found in the guestbook section, but i doubt it matters.

welcome to the boards and hope to see some of your works and feedback :D

welcome! ^3^
DA Page me anytime for job offers *_*

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

I'm sure a nice admin will move it if necessary :).

Well, I hope you can find further help around here ^^.

Btw, I'm a bit curious : what actually made you choose Ren'Py over the others? I'm sure some other people would be interested in knowing this too ^.^.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

I should point out that the great documentation is mostly others' doing, while the barely adequate documentation is usually mine.

Anyway, welcome!
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Laveil Kurtis
Regular

#5 Post by Laveil Kurtis »

Welcome, and I hope you finish your Visual Novel projects.

You remind me about trying a lot of gaming engines. I'm like that too, but I usually drop some engines before planning any project. I finally chose Ren'Py and RPG Maker because I like both programs. I have projects with both, but my top priority right now is finishing the translation of the Ren'Py wiki to Spanish.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Welcome Kenny. Hope your visual novel project is one that you finish ^_^

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by musical74 »

Welcome aboard!

One reason that I like this forum is that we help and support each other...I think everyone understands that they were newbys at programming, coding, artwork, etc etc at one point and want to help those that are starting out. Yeah, it's easy easy to say *look at Google (or some other search engine) but if you have the skills...why not relate them to someone just starting out?I think this forum does a good job with helping each other out :) :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Raikiri
Regular

#8 Post by Raikiri »

Thanks for the support, I certainly hope that I will finish both of my projects sooner or later. Preferably sooner. At least this time I have the advantage of being part of a friendly community. =)
Keitsu Han'ei wrote:lol normally introduction is found in the guestbook section, but i doubt it matters
Oh. :oops:
monele wrote:Btw, I'm a bit curious : what actually made you choose Ren'Py over the others? I'm sure some other people would be interested in knowing this too ^.^.
For one thing, NScripter confused the hell out of me. In fact, I couldn't even find proper documentation, and a tutorial was nowhere to be found. Blade did have a tutorial (though not nearly as much easily accessible documentation as I'd hoped - at least, I only found what was covered in the tutorial games), and I went so far as to download it and start to work on it - when I found out about the limitations of the free version. You can imagine that finding Ren'Py was like a godsend to me. The tech demo is an excellent feature, btw; I hope that it'll stay part of the future releases as well.
PyTom wrote:I should point out that the great documentation is mostly others' doing, while the barely adequate documentation is usually mine.
I see. Well, then I should thank you for developing and releasing a great piece of software, instead. :D
Lucifer status:

Misuzu
Regular

#9 Post by Misuzu »

Raikiri wrote:For one thing, NScripter confused the hell out of me. In fact, I couldn't even find proper documentation, and a tutorial was nowhere to be found.
Well, I really hope you where looking at ONScripter instead of NScripter because A)NScripter is getting a bit outdated now and B) all the documentation for NScripter is in Japanese. Assuming you were looking at ONScripter, pseudo documentation can be found on insani's ONScripter website. True, there is no tutorial, but the majority of the way people learn how to program in ONS is to dump one of the quite few games translated into English that runs on ONS and look at the source code that way.

Saying all that though, for a game maker, I think Ren'py is a better choice because it was built from the ground up for making games like these unlike ONS in which case insani's primary goal for releasing their brach of ONS is to support translation of NScripter and ONScripter games rather build games on ONS.

Admittedly though, Echoes of Thunder does show off the ONS can still be used quite well to build a game if thats what your familiar with =D.

(You may want to take this with a all with a grain of salt as I am not a game maker, but being a translator I've worked with ONS a lot and a briefly dabbled in Ren'py a while back.)
Last edited by Misuzu on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raikiri
Regular

#10 Post by Raikiri »

Misu wrote:
Raikiri wrote:For one thing, NScripter confused the hell out of me. In fact, I couldn't even find proper documentation, and a tutorial was nowhere to be found.
Well, I really hope you where looking at ONScripter instead of NScripter because A)NScripter is getting a bit outdated now and B) all the documentation for NScripter is in Japanese.
You're right, it was ONScripter I was looking at. I just sorta assumed that they were both the same thing, ONScripter being a open-source version... I admit that I wasn't really looking too hard into it, since it seemed a bit complex for me to use comfortably.

Edit: I see now that there were indeed some documentation at insani, but I'm still going to stick to Ren'Py.
Last edited by Raikiri on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucifer status:

Misuzu
Regular

#11 Post by Misuzu »

They essentially are, with the small difference that the NScripter executable is not maintained anymore while the ONscripter executable is in active development ^^.
Last edited by Misuzu on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raikiri
Regular

#12 Post by Raikiri »

misu wrote:They essentially are, with the small difference that the NScripter executable is not maintained anymore while the ONscripter executable is in active development ^^.
I see. Thanks for clearing up the confusion.
Lucifer status:

uchuusen

#13 Post by uchuusen »

Misu wrote:They essentially are, with the small difference that the NScripter executable is not maintained anymore while the ONscripter executable is in active development ^^.
Actually, Nscripter is still being maintained, as far as I know. It was last updated on September of 2006, and the developer's last post on the Nscripter forum was on the 6th of this month. Sometime last year, though, the site did move to a new domain.

The main difference between ONscripter and Nscripter, is that ONscripter can run on multiple platforms, and has support for Non-Japanese text.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#14 Post by lordcloudx »

hello and welcome.... n00b!
hehe just kidding.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

chisa-chan
Regular

#15 Post by chisa-chan »

Welcome, Raikiri!

I'll wait for your VN, nyahahaha! (While working on my own....)

Really, I was the same one as you when I wanted to work on my VN, at first I chose Blade Engine, and really, it's not comfortable to be worked on, then I chose ONScripter, and I can't handle it too, so finally I chose Ren'Py.

Well, anyway, see you later!
Kalau tidak suka ya jangan diladeni, gitu aja kok repot™.
Cynanthia's Blog (Indonesian)