Ren'Py 6.14 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Code Monkey
Regular
Projects: Dandelion
Organization: Cheritz

Re: Ren'Py 6.14 Released

#76 Post by Code Monkey »

PyTom, So sorry for not getting back to you earlier! Got swamped with a lot of work and I couldn't find any examples on what you said so I just tried stuff...

Code: Select all

renpy.arguments.register_command('--args', parse_args)

def parse_args():
        parser = argparse.ArgumentParser(False)

parser.add_argument('--arg', dest='args', default=[], action='append',
                  help='Append an argument to a list that can be accessed as config.args.')
        args = parser.parse_args()

config.args = args.args
The thing is, how can you register the command before the game gets executed? I tried this code in some init blocks and ran it but still got the same error. Hate to be a bother but some guidance would be appreciated.

By the way thanks for everything. You've done a lot of work and made some big improvements on 6.14. It's awesome! And the video works great!

Oh and we are using arguments because we use an external gui to login users to our servers and then use their credentials in the game as well.

crimsonnight
Veteran

#77 Post by crimsonnight »

Hi,

I've just updated and everything was running fine previously. Now when I launch my project I get the following message:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

After initialization, but before game start.
Exception: DirectSoundCreate: No audio device found

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\gwilde\Downloads\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 228, in bootstrap
File "C:\Users\gwilde\Downloads\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\main.py", line 331, in main
File "C:\Users\gwilde\Downloads\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 1132, in __init__
File "C:\Users\gwilde\Downloads\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\renpy\audio\audio.py", line 596, in init
File "sound.pyx", line 161, in pysdlsound.sound.init (gen\pysdlsound.sound.c:2709)
File "sound.pyx", line 61, in pysdlsound.sound.check_error (gen\pysdlsound.sound.c:762)
Exception: DirectSoundCreate: No audio device found

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.14.1.366
Always The Same Blue Sky... 0.5

(The same message occurs when trying to launch the tutorial)

How do I rectify this? Thanks
alwaysthesamebluesky.com

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#78 Post by PyTom »

Code monkey, an example of a new command is the distribute command in the launcher. Here's the code for it:

init python:

def distribute_command():
        ap = renpy.arguments.ArgumentParser()
        ap.add_argument("--destination", "--dest", default=None, action="store", help="The directory where the packaged files should be placed.")
        ap.add_argument("--no-update", default=True, action="store_false", dest="build_update", help="Prevents updates from being built.")
        ap.add_argument("project", help="The path to the project directory.")
        ap.add_argument("--package", action="append", help="If given, a package to build. Defaults to building all packages.") 

args = ap.parse_args()

# ...

renpy.arguments.register_command("distribute", distribute_command)

This can be run with:

./renpy.sh/exe <path-to-launcher> distribute <path-to-game> <other-arguments>
In general, Ren'Py now expects the command line to be of the form:

renpy.sh/exe <path-to-game> <command> <arguments>

Crimsonnight,

This is the sort of error you'd get if you don't have drivers for your computer's sound card. It's only an error in developer mode, it's automatically hidden when it comes time to play the game.

While the best way to suppress it is to fix your computer, you could also work around it by adding:

init python:
    config.debug_sound = True
to your game.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Code Monkey
Regular
Projects: Dandelion
Organization: Cheritz

#79 Post by Code Monkey »

I tried this

def parse_command():
        parser = renpy.argument.ArgumentParser()

parser.add_argument('--arg', dest='args', default=[], action='append',
                  help='Append an argument to a list that can be accessed as config.args.')
        args = parser.parse_args()

config.args = args.args

renpy.arguments.register_command('parse', parse_command)
I tried different combinations of passing the args but alas could not get it to work =(.
Does this work after the game is already built, without passing the path to renpy?

game.exe parse --arg Moo --arg Bahh

peacetomomo

#80 Post by peacetomomo »

Hi Renpy. I downloaded your older version of this program a few months ago, and used it with no problems. When my computer broke down and I got a new hard drive this week, I tried downloading Renpy again. I was excited to see that there is a new version of Renpy, and I downloaded it. Then I opened the app and saw something I was completely unfamiliar with >.< So I looked around and expected the options under "Edit File" to be the place where I edit a script. When I clicked any of those options, this message showed up: "An exception occured while launching the text editor. WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified. This may have occured because Java is not installed on the system." (By the way, "occurred" has been spelled wrong on that message.)

So I went online and downloaded Java, installed the program, and waited eagerly for Renpy to work. I installed, removed, and re-installed Java about 7 times. :cry: Still, the program showed the same message telling me to install Java. I think I might be doing something wrong...

Is it possible to download the older version of Renpy on this site? http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/quickstart.html That was the one I used, and I never had any problems with jEdit and whatnot.

Jake
Support Hero

#81 Post by Jake »

peacetomomo wrote: Is it possible to download the older version of Renpy on this site? http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/quickstart.html That was the one I used, and I never had any problems with jEdit and whatnot.
While I expect it's possible to get the newest release working on your system, you can get to all the old releases of Ren'Py here:

http://renpy.org/release_list.html
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

peacetomomo

#82 Post by peacetomomo »

Jake wrote:
peacetomomo wrote: Is it possible to download the older version of Renpy on this site? http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/quickstart.html That was the one I used, and I never had any problems with jEdit and whatnot.
While I expect it's possible to get the newest release working on your system, you can get to all the old releases of Ren'Py here:

http://renpy.org/release_list.html

Thank you for that link (: It had just what I wanted. But my problem still remains :( I downloaded renpy version 6.12.2 (I think it's the exact same one I downloaded a few months ago) and the first thing I did was to try to make a new project. It didn't work for several tries, but I kept trying to make a new project until finally one worked o-o So I clicked "Edit Script" to start writing, but lo and behold, this message showed up:
"Error
Launching the editor failed.

Return"

I'm starting to find this a bit funny ;D That's weird, isn't it? :( I'm so confused about my own computer @__@ This has never happened before D:

Jake
Support Hero

#83 Post by Jake »

peacetomomo wrote: I downloaded renpy version 6.12.2

"Error

Return"
To be honest, it does sound more like there's something wrong with your Java runtime installation than anything. Naturally, I blame Oracle. ;-)
Since you've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, have you tried running JEdit directly? You can find it inside the directory you installed Ren'Py into, in a directory called 'jedit' - try running jedit.exe and see if that works on its own.

As it goes, when you tried the latest version of Ren'Py, did you try changing your editor preference (in preferences in the bottom right, then the middle of the left column) to Editra, which doesn't use Java?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

peacetomomo

#84 Post by peacetomomo »

Jake wrote:
peacetomomo wrote: I downloaded renpy version 6.12.2

"Error

Return"
To be honest, it does sound more like there's something wrong with your Java runtime installation than anything. Naturally, I blame Oracle. ;-)
Since you've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, have you tried running JEdit directly? You can find it inside the directory you installed Ren'Py into, in a directory called 'jedit' - try running jedit.exe and see if that works on its own.

As it goes, when you tried the latest version of Ren'Py, did you try changing your editor preference (in preferences in the bottom right, then the middle of the left column) to Editra, which doesn't use Java?
It woooooorks!! :DDD Thank you so much ^____^

I changed my text editor to Editra :)) I actually tried installing Editra last night, but I guess something went wrong cause an error message showed up (I've been getting a whole lot of error messages lately, haha).

So there's probably something wrong with my Java :< But oh well, I'll get to that some other time ;D

Thanks again (:

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#85 Post by Alex »

Hi folks!
Have troubles using editra. Tried to install it using launcher and didn't succeed, so, I've downloaded it separately. For now I'm able to launch editra and open script files in it manualy, but when I try to edit script file from launcher, it gives me an error (editra is set as text editor):

#---- Notes ----#
Please provide additional information about the crash here

#---- System Information ----#
Editra Version: 0.6.99
Operating System: Windows XP (build 2600, Service Pack 2)
Python Version: 2.6.6 (r266:84297, Aug 24 2010, 18:46:32) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
wxPython Version: 2.8.12.0 (msw-unicode)
wxPython Info: (__WXMSW__, wxMSW, unicode, wx-assertions-on, SWIG-1.3.29)
Python Encoding: Default=ascii  File=mbcs
wxPython Encoding: cp1251
System Architecture: 32bit x86
Byte order: little
Frozen: windows_exe
#---- End System Information ----#

#---- Traceback Info ----#
*** Sat Sep 22 23:19:14 2012 ***
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Editra.py", line 1166, in <module>
  File "Editra.py", line 1058, in Main
  File "Editra.py", line 1098, in _Main
  File "ed_main.pyo", line 116, in __init__
  File "ed_main.pyo", line 1519, in SetupToolBar
  File "wx\_controls.pyo", line 3875, in Realize
PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "wxAssertFailure" failed at ..\..\src\msw\tbar95.cpp(726) in wxToolBar::Realize(): invalid tool button bitmap

#---- End Traceback Info ----#
Any ideas what's wrong and how to fix it?
Thanks in advance...))

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#86 Post by jack_norton »

From what I remember the version that ships with Ren'Py is a modified one, so I don't think you can download it separately and make it work... ?
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#87 Post by Alex »

Hm, it is said at 6.14 download page that one can download editor separately - I thought it will work with Ren'py...

MikeConway

#88 Post by MikeConway »

Newbie here. I'm using Ubuntu Linux to run Ren'py and i recently used the update, so I'm at the current version. Only problem is, the only way I can run Ren'py now is with Wine. "Ren'py.sh doesn't work, and instead brings up a text file with the code for that file. I tried some VN's i downloaded just to make sure it isn't my OS, and they all run fine.

I'm still new to Ubuntu and to coding, so please treat me like I'm stupid. I don't want to make any assumptions and screw something up.

Thank you.

Anima
Veteran
Completed: Loren
Projects: PS2

#89 Post by Anima »

You should make sure that the file is set to be executable in the properties.
Avatar created with this deviation by Crysa
Currently working on:
  • Winterwolves "Planet Stronghold 2" - RPG Framework: Phase III

MikeConway

#90 Post by MikeConway »

Anima wrote:You should make sure that the file is set to be executable in the properties.
Okay, I did that. Had to find where it would allow me to make it executable, but there it was. Checked it. But it still wouldn't run.

In the end, I just downloaded the newest version from the website. Simple solution. :mrgreen: