How did you decide on a team/studio/other name?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

How did you decide on a team/studio/other name?

#1 Post by Blane Doyle »

I know this is probably the most obvious and time wasting question to ask, but for those of you with a team/studio/productions/otherwise name... how exactly did you come up with it?

I've been working on a lot of projects lately and the thought "Hey, you need a producing name thing!" hit me and now I cannot make it go away and I do not simply want to use my screen name and... yeah. This is how I work, I freak out over the wrong things.

But I am interested in the backstories of your production names, maybe they will help me chose one of my own. And make the nagging thought in the back of my head die.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How did you decide on a team/studio/other name?

#2 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Well, I don't technically have a team yet, but uh...

1. The name I wanna be credited under isn't my real name. I mean, Victoria's my real first name, but Jennings... honestly, I just picked it because I thought it sounded better. :'B (also they cage the animals at night)

2. Eventually, I will have a team, and by team, I mean a partnership with my cousin. We've always planned on calling ourselves Nobumatsu, after our personal music composition hero, Nobuo Uematsu. 0;

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#3 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Camille came up with our name, and we liked the sound of it. The first part is obvious because it's from my name (and I choose that name because I had a fondness for the sound of the gold-cyanide complex ion and it's rarely taken on the internet. I hate adding numbers to usernames). The second part is a bit more abstract and comes from the fact Camille kind of sounds like Chamomile and Camellia sinensis (the scentific name for tea plants) and so we ended up with tea. I made up a logo and now it's a done deal. I think that was back about a year ago when we first decided to officially be a group.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#4 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

http://struct.ca/company-name-generator/

I was originally going to go with Angry Everything because I could imagine some pretty awesome logos, but then my sister suggested Pure Anarchy, and everyone else I talked to preferred that one.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#5 Post by nyaatrap »

Not my case, but generally the concept of their first developing game gives a circle name.
My circle name - nyaatrap itself - is just a random modified letters from cthulhu mythos.

planktheory
Regular
itch: mykanthrope

#6 Post by planktheory »

nyaatrap wrote:Not my case, but generally the concept of their first developing game gives a circle name.
My circle name - nyaatrap itself - is just a random modified letters from cthulhu mythos.
Thought your name was just backward of "partaay'n".

J. Datie
Veteran

#7 Post by J. Datie »

planktheory wrote:
nyaatrap wrote:Not my case, but generally the concept of their first developing game gives a circle name.
Thought your name was just backward of "partaay'n".
I assumed it was an elaborate trap set up by a cat. "Nyaa~ It's a trap!" and such.

junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

#8 Post by junna »

junna came/evolved from junsa. I loved MatsuJun and I RPed in an InuYasha as a kitsune youkai...
the name evolved but the persona sort of stayed...
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#9 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

It should be something unique, so you don't get confused with other companies or studios, and it should be memorable. Hopefully it will also evoke what your studio stands for or values. But memorable, easy to remember, and unique are the most important things to nail when coming up with a name and logo.

A game studio's name can represent how the developers want to live (like a Rockstar) or what kind of games they want to make (Epic). It could be a joke to get everyone to always remember you, like Massive Black has done. (Put it together with their logo. Stealth humor!)

Whatever you do, take your time and get it right. You're likely to be stuck with the name for sometime to come, and as long as the game you released under that label exists, people will also be referring that studio name. So no pressure! :mrgreen:

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#10 Post by Sapphi »

(LWR, congrats on your 1000th post!)

Um... I struggled for awhile with coming up with a label for my stories, chewed over some options, and ultimately arrived at Kitsch-soft. "Kitschy" is usually used as an insult and associated with over-sentimentality. I don't find it to be an insult, though... I am unabashedly sentimental and so are my stories. It's about as insulting as telling me my eyes are green.

What sealed the deal though was when I read this quote:
Wikipedia on Kitsch wrote:For Kundera, "Kitsch causes two tears to flow in quick succession. The first tear says: How nice to see children running on the grass! The second tear says: How nice to be moved, together with all mankind, by children running on the grass! It is the second tear that makes kitsch kitsch."
There's no escaping it... I am kitsch embodied.
Might as well let people know what they're in for, right? :mrgreen:
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Sapphi wrote:(LWR, congrats on your 1000th post!)
Thanks! It's only taken 5 years. :cry: Does this mean I get to eat at the big kids' table?

Obviously, when I come up with my own studio name, it is likely to be related in someway to Alice in Wonderland. It is fair to say I am obsessed. A person really shouldn't be able to quote a poem by heart that is composed of words that don't exist! But the beautiful insane nonsense is why I love it....

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#12 Post by Sharm »

Wonderland Studios has a nice ring to it. I've been wondering how to do this myself, I find story titles so easy because you just need to know your story and hint at what it is with a few words, but I'm not exactly telling a story with my team/studio/company. I'm not even sticking to VNs or for that matter, games so calling it "Sharm Games" or something won't work.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Sharm wrote:Wonderland Studios has a nice ring to it.
Too generic, and not memorable enough. Far too many things are named 'Wonderland' after Alice. But it does sound nice. But, you want fans and customers to remember YOU first when they hear your studio name, NOT the thing you named yourself after or in reference to.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#14 Post by Sapphi »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Sapphi wrote:(LWR, congrats on your 1000th post!)
Thanks! It's only taken 5 years. :cry: Does this mean I get to eat at the big kids' table?
If you must, but find some phone books to sit on. And at the big kids' table, we don't separate our vegetables from our mashed potatoes. :evil:

In all honesty every one of your 1000 posts over 5 years have probably been more useful than the nearly 1400 of mine over 3, lol
LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Obviously, when I come up with my own studio name, it is likely to be related in someway to Alice in Wonderland. It is fair to say I am obsessed. A person really shouldn't be able to quote a poem by heart that is composed of words that don't exist! But the beautiful insane nonsense is why I love it....
Good luck with that well-tread territory...
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

#15 Post by junna »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Sharm wrote:Wonderland Studios has a nice ring to it.
Too generic, and not memorable enough. Far too many things are named 'Wonderland' after Alice. But it does sound nice. But, you want fans and customers to remember YOU first when they hear your studio name, NOT the thing you named yourself after or in reference to.
agreed.
otherwise it'll be like me trying to explain Moacube to my friends.
"oh, the developers are called umm... the dead, big as bird that used to walk around New Zealand. Umm..."
"What? Kiwi? Huia? Haast eagle? Moa?"
"YES! Moacube".

actual conversation was longer...and included living birds. lol
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out