Where You Left Off?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
SJnova22

Where You Left Off?

#1 Post by SJnova22 »

I was thinking of doing a game where I post a part of it at a time. Kinda like MyCandyLove where they make new "episodes" and you keep going. But my confusion with it, how can I make bits of the game at a time and have the reader's SAVE point still on the game? It's a bit confusing or complicated, but I was hoping to do a game on the internet. Can someone help me? Also, the reason why it has to be continued like that is because the store has a bit going on.

Levrex
Veteran

Re: Where You Left Off?

#2 Post by Levrex »

Just release the full game first and then make "patches" with a new content. I recommend thinking beforehand which images you will be using, so you'll just have to release new script files.
You'll have to remember all the new files you've created, though.

Keep in mind that you can not ever change released scenario files, or the saves made while reading through those files will be ultimately ruined.
If your question is solved, please add [Solved] to theme's name by editing its first post, so that the helpful guys out there wouldn't mistakenly think the problem is still unanswered and waste their time.

GlassHeart
Regular
Completed: Hand in hand with destiny, Out of Sight, Summer Found Me (Again), Signed X, Trapped
itch: https://selavi.itch.

#3 Post by GlassHeart »

Another idea would be to use a password system. I've seen this in a web game called Cafe Rouge. There's no need for actual saves, each episode ending gives you a password (there are 3-4 passwords per episode) that you use to access the next episode.
Image Image

SJnova22

#4 Post by SJnova22 »

Well, when I think about it, the MyCandyLove game is most likely a whole team than just an individual or two, so that would be difficult. A log-in system would seem like the best choice.
How do you think someone could do it on a host site? I'm curious but I would probably do mine on its own site, but how can it be done on a host site, where you add more content to the game, and people can save their data? Or is that even possible...?