Guestbook

New here? Be sure to read these important posts, and then sign our guestbook.
qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

Re: Guestbook

#2341 Post by qirien »

Hi there! My sister and I are working on a visual novel about newlywed space colonists trying to maintain their relationship and their farm. The forums have been a great resource so far (thanks to PyTom for the emacs mode, BTW!). We've got the programming and writing going well, but we'll see about the art... Anyway, thanks for all the great posts, you'll probably hear more from me in the future! :-)
Finished games:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2342 Post by PyTom »

Uh... I haven't maintained the emacs mode for a while. If you want to take it over, I can give you a list of the new keywords.

I'll also note that there's already a team (well, just Samu-kun) with the name Love in Space. But don't let that stop you - a space colony-based game seems like it could be really interesting.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

angryjedi

#2343 Post by angryjedi »

Hello everyone. My name's Pete but I generally go by "Angry Jedi" or some variant thereof around the Internet. I'm a Brit who is fascinated with the world of visual novels, and am very keen to make my own. I have a "grand plan" for a large scale project in mind -- and, in fact, have started scripting it -- but have determined that, according to conventional wisdom, I should start with something smaller to cut my teeth on first. As such, I figured I'd tentatively dip my toe into the community here and make some friends -- hopefully with a mind to collaborating in the future.

I am keen to work on visual novels with realistically flawed, "human" characters, and to write using my own personal experiences with things such as depression, social anxiety and other issues as a basis. That's not to say I'm averse to the idea of a "traditional", feel-good sort of bishoujo game, however!

I'm a freelance writer by trade. For my day job I cover the dubious joys of mobile and social games, and in my spare time I run the "alternative gaming" site Games Are Evil, on which I write a regular visual novel-focused column every Sunday. I'm also a founding member of "gaming book club" The Squadron of Shame, a group that aims to rescue underappreciated classics from obscurity and podcast about them at great length. Of particular interest to the community here may be our podcast on the subject of Katawa Shoujo from a while back.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, and I hope to get to know some of you a bit better soon.

DeeKay
Veteran

#2344 Post by DeeKay »

Welcome to the new members ! :)

angryjedi wrote:My name's Pete but I generally go by "Angry Jedi" or some variant thereof around the Internet.
I personally can't call you that with your avatar not looking angry at all and staring directly into the depths of my soul ^^'
angryjedi wrote:I am keen to work on visual novels with realistically flawed, "human" characters, and to write using my own personal experiences with things such as depression, social anxiety and other issues as a basis.
Nice, I like the sound of that ! ;)
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

angryjedi

#2345 Post by angryjedi »

DeeKay wrote:Welcome to the new members ! :)
Thanks for the welcome!
DeeKay wrote:I personally can't call you that with your avatar not looking angry at all and staring directly into the depths of my soul ^^'
There's a story behind the name, of course. I used to be a teacher, and while I was training a close friend and I used to make drunken (and usually foul-mouthed) electronica as a means of stress relief after a tough day at the chalkface. The name we chose for our group was "Angry Jedi". It's just sort of stuck since. Now it's kind of too late to call myself anything else. Also the username "angryjedi" is seemingly never taken. Which is nice.

My avatar is Ell-chan from the utterly bonkers VN/eroge My Girlfriend is the President. She has something of a habit of staring into one's soul with those big purple eyes.
DeeKay wrote:Nice, I like the sound of that ! ;)
Glad to hear it. I really enjoy that sort of thing in the entertainment I choose to consume -- in VNs, I loved Katawa Shoujo, for example, and in my recently-discovered love for anime I am very much appreciating what Welcome to the NHK is doing.

But anyway. Don't let me derail this thread any more than I have already. :)

Jujupan
Tumblr: jujupancakes
Deviantart: jujupancakes

#2346 Post by Jujupan »

Hello ' o '! I'm not really new here since I went around this site playing its games some years ago. I'm usually called Jujupan or jujupancakes on the net, especially on dA ^^.

I never worked on a VN before but I was always interested in them and hoped my skills is up to some par now as of current^^: http://jujupancakes.deviantart.com/gallery/

angryjedi

#2347 Post by angryjedi »

Jujupan wrote:Hello ' o '! I'm not really new here since I went around this site playing its games some years ago. I'm usually called Jujupan or jujupancakes on the net, especially on dA ^^.

I never worked on a VN before but I was always interested in them and hoped my skills is up to some par now as of current^^: http://jujupancakes.deviantart.com/gallery/
Oo, my turn? Welcome!

I had a brief look at your gallery -- some good-looking character art there! I'm sure you'll find someone who will want to make use of your talents. :)

mdchan
Completed: Toby's Tales I
Projects: Dior (series)
Organization: The Lone Wolf

#2348 Post by mdchan »

Hiyas! Nice to meet you!

Name: Nikki (or "mdchan", or "Mystic Dragon"...whichever you wanna call me ^^ )
Website: Dun have one for my VNs yet...but I've got a Deviant Art one!
Comments: Sooo thankful for these forums! The Wiki makes me wanna facepalm cause, as a complete noob, I'm sometimes confused where I'm supposed to put a block of code presented in the Cookbook or listed; options, screens, my script...
...so, yep, very thankful for the forums! I've already hit roadblocks and made posts, and everyone's been really nice and helpful!

I discovered the world of Visual Novels when I saw a peculiar looking game through Steam. I've always liked writing and drawing, and thought about doing comics or something manga-like, but I haven't been successful (yet...still crossing my fingers) on the publishing route, and doing chaptered comics was just completely mind-numbing (not to mention my art back then was at a level where I didn't feel it was presentable as a published work).
VNs are different, though! It's a plus to only have to draw a few backgrounds for a game (that can be reused); same with the character images!

Programming is my weak point, so I'm taking things one step at a time (hence why my first game is fairly streamlined with only a single possible ending). I've got a couple projects already planned out, I just hafta get there!
The single-minded focusness that comes with having Asperger's Syndrome is hopefully gonna help me out with that. Otherwise, I might have given up halfway through my first attempt!

Welp, anyways, it's nice to meet all of you...and I promise that the grammar I use for my games is better'n what I wrote here. XD

Now...what's this about "mushrooms"...?

Jujupan
Tumblr: jujupancakes
Deviantart: jujupancakes

#2349 Post by Jujupan »

angryjedi wrote:
Jujupan wrote:Hello ' o '! I'm not really new here since I went around this site playing its games some years ago. I'm usually called Jujupan or jujupancakes on the net, especially on dA ^^.

Oo, my turn? Welcome!

I had a brief look at your gallery -- some good-looking character art there! I'm sure you'll find someone who will want to make use of your talents. :)

Ah Thankeeee >o<

FiliaFlammae
Projects: Crossing the Waste, Grim Fables, Wasurenagusa
Organization: Visual Kyouki

#2350 Post by FiliaFlammae »

Hello, all! I usually go by FiliaFlammae, though my deviantART name is Liinyar09. Check me out if you like!

I've been drawing and writing since I was little. I would describe myself as a world builder: when an idea pops into my head, no matter how random, I can't help but latch onto it and develop it into a world, a story. I've been through dozens of story ideas that I sketch or outline just for the fun of it, without publishing anything, and I've been through a few story ideas where I actually put character designs and world notes online. It depends on how much thought I put into a certain world. For a while now I've dreamed of someday making a webcomic for my most complex world, but until I can find the time and commitment to something that big, I'd love to play around with making VNs instead. I've already played with Ren'Py some, and as you can guess, I have a few stories in mind already. :D

I've poked my head in here a couple of times before and found a couple of games to play, but I never made an account. I'm currently the character artist and programmer for Visual Kyouki, headed by specialtantei (we're still recruiting a background artist and musician, if you're interested in some unpaid experience). However, whenever I get the time to acquaint myself with digital music, I'd love to publish a few things independently.

In any case, I'm happy to (officially) be here! Nice to meet you all!

~FF

Girandole

#2351 Post by Girandole »

Hulloes Ren'Py Forums and Users.

Not much I can say about my person without sounding like a bore. I'll say I enjoy expressing myself through writing and imagery. Because of that, I've been tampering with Ren'Py and learning the ropes. While with little experience, I've got to say scripting has been pretty exciting so far (there's so much that you can do and then you can't and then you have to workaround and bang your head on walls!). I'm also producing my first KN, and since there are a lot of relevant discussion in the forums, I joined to stalk your creative minds.

Boomsickle
Regular
Completed: Victorian Olives

#2352 Post by Boomsickle »

Hello, I go by Boomsickle in all my online communities except on dA which i go by ReneTheArtist , im a Fine Arts major focusing on sculpture but im also passionate about writing and Japanese culture which led to my love of visual novels and that's how i got here. Nice to meet you all.

Muzozavr
Regular

#2353 Post by Muzozavr »

Well... hello.

My interest in visual novels sparked when I first decided to try out the Higurashi VNs after watching the main 2 seasons of the anime and thinking it was the best thing ever. Due to lack of time I've only been able to read 2 arcs (Ryukishi07 is INSANELY verbose and slow-paced, making for some veeeery long VNs!) but I loved them. I really think that VNs have some unique strengths that aren't in any other format.

So now I have plans to create my own VN, but I have never finished writing a story before and I *fail* at drawing *anything*. Oh well, guess I'll have to figure something out later. For now, I'm just writing the story and the music. The music probably won't sound "epic professional" since my sample set is fairly "meh", but... whatever, it's still more than enough to carry the mood across.

Zootower
Regular

#2354 Post by Zootower »

What's going on, Lemma Soft?

Call me Zootower. I'm a film student by "trade", but I've been very interested in Visual Novels for some time. It looks like there's an opportunity to really break some new ground with the medium. Needless to say, I want in.

I only recently found out about the English Visual Novel community. I've gone through the usual gamut of "baby's first VNs" starting with that wonderful purple-prose fest that is Katawa Shoujo, and then going across the pacific, playing games like Kira Kira, Memoria and Clannad. While Clannadman brought me to tears more than once, what really got me interested in working with this medium were the shorter, Kinetic Novels. Planeterian certainly falls into this category. What really spurred my interest, however, was dischan's Juniper's Knot. It plays out like a meticulously written, shot, and directed short film. I'd very much like to embark on a project of that scale.

I don't see myself getting on the larger VN bandwagon. It's just not where I see myself creatively at this point. I guess it it's like confronting me with the idea of making a feature film. While it would be a wonderful project to embark on, I doubt I'd ever finish. I would be more than happy to work with people who are taking the big step, however. At the very least, I'd be happy to proofread and offer my... admittedly jaded views on prose writing. Never mind.

In any event, I joined because I'm currently working one of my short stories/film scripts into something resembling a kinetic novel. While I'll save the details, it can be safely summed up like this:

Berlin, 1945. Boy meets girl. Girl tells boy she's a valkyrie. Boy thinks she's a delusion brought on by PTSD.

So at some point soon, I'll be bugging the forums, looking for an artist or two. I think I'm getting the hang of Ren'Py, but I might troll around for a programmer, too. In any event, Lemma Soft, to quote Louie from Casablanca,
I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
:D

PS: Also, I do photography and video work. If you're looking for something from either of those two areas, I'd be glad to help. I live in NYC, so I can get plenty of decent backgrounds if your project is in a pinch. You can check out some of my work here.

ChameleonSushi

New and Ready for Action!

#2355 Post by ChameleonSushi »

Hi-low there, people. I go by ChameleonSushi on most of my accounts, and I've been playing around with Ren'Py for long enough that I figured it best to sign up for the forums here. You know, get some questions answered. I live in little Rhode Island on the east coast of the US. I'm not sure if I'll frequent here enough to give out all my sites, but mayhaps at some point I'll change my mind.

Thanks for having me here on the forums!