How did you decide on a team/studio/other name?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

Re: How did you decide on a team/studio/other name?

#16 Post by nyaatrap »

planktheory wrote:Thought your name was just backward of "partaay'n".
J. Datie wrote:I assumed it was an elaborate trap set up by a cat. "Nyaa~ It's a trap!" and such.
This ambiguity is how this name works :D

Daistarir
Veteran
Projects: History [GxB], Alice Revo
Organization: Kingdom Crown Production

#17 Post by Daistarir »

Don't know. Just because it's fun ( team ) and cute ( name )

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#18 Post by KomiTsuku »

Oh, mine was decided in a heartbeat. It has always been me operating pretty much alone, only having money in the more recent years. The idea that I was a "real" studio was (and still is) a massive joke, so I decided to call myself "I Don't Have A Studio Studios" (IDHAS or I'd has studio?) because... well... I DON'T have a studio. I have a crazy man who drinks too much soda.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#19 Post by Anna »

We decided on ours back in 2007 and it was originally meant to just go around Dutch circles :'D... I still like it though. Since we wanted to focus on fantasy stories and I'm half Greek, we thought a pegasus would be a nice symbol. Of course, that turned into pegasi because there's more than one of us.

Also, being big Fire Emblem fans, we were overjoyed when we got our third member so we could form a pegasi trio haha.

specialtantei
Veteran

#20 Post by specialtantei »

Mine is just a week old xD, but growing and working hard :3.

The name came based on my personality and how I like to write (I am the wirter xD). So a little bit of Visual novel and of Insanity created Visual Kyouki (insanity in japanese). I thought it had a nice ring to it, like 7th expansion, cool and easy to pronounce :). That made it a final decision.

At first I was gonna call it Schrodinger's Box, but nah, not enough originality u.u

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#21 Post by Hijiri »

MESI comes from "Mors Est Solum Initium" or "Death Is Only the Beginning" (Granted, it's a bastardization of the term...which I didn't find out until later ^^; ) However, it also sounds like "messy" which really fits the way I work on things.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#22 Post by Greeny »

Hijiri wrote:MESI comes from "Mors Est Solum Initium" or "Death Is Only the Beginning" (Granted, it's a bastardization of the term...which I didn't find out until later ^^; ) However, it also sounds like "messy" which really fits the way I work on things.
Latin, I think, is a great way of having something meaningful that noone has used before.

Personally, I recently settled on Gliese Productions. It's short, catchy and reasonably easy to remember. It's origin comes from what they tend to name Red Dwarf stars after; One of which, Gliese 581, is currently considered the most likely canditate for a life-viable solar system. It's also an element from the plot of my next project but I've already revealed too much.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Nekochi
Regular
Projects: Snow White and the Seven Thugs
Organization: Royal Flush

#23 Post by Nekochi »

Well, it isn't one hundred percent decided, but as my nickname is Nekochi and the artist I've working with goes by Batty, I thought Cat & Bat Productions (or Bat & Cat Productions, both would work) had a nice ring to it.

AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

#24 Post by AshenhartKrie »

Well, this name (AshenhartKrie) is just one that I've had for a few years. It randomly turned up while writing, so I was like, Hey that sounds cool, I'll call myself that from now on. derp
Since I work with whoever wants to program or collab with me, I don't really have a studio name. Unless the two people I've worked with so far (junna and Reyire) feel like it lol, but meh, I'm happy to be that lone chick who works with whoever.
Me and my friends a while back started calling ourselfs Dumpkoff United (I was the CEO XD) or Idiots United.
god we're a bunch of weirdos

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#25 Post by Obscura »

Good for you for asking. At least you won't do what I did, and just name your "company" after the first, random user name that popped in your head, that wasn't already taken on the Lemmasoft boards.

Bleagh.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

ImmaDeker
Regular
Organization: "Glycerine" by Bush

#26 Post by ImmaDeker »

You pick a name that is true to your heart and artistic integrity, like I did.

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#27 Post by Cidz »

Oh, dear....the naming of our studio.
it....it was a big mess to say the least >_>
We went through several names, we got into a huge arguments, and rainbow kittens was born.
at first we were called wafflesoft studios but turns out that was taken, and wierd cowinkydink also by an indie game group.
so then our project manager, Nesse, was all RUSHRUSHNOW about changing the name so we quickly (well i and nesse) went with i forgot i wanna say softcakestudios? something like that. buuuut as it turns out jubbz HATED that name. so we ended up getting in an argument cuz nesse was like RUSHRUSH and i was like UGH STOP WE NEED TIME WELRKJERLWKRJWR i yelled out something about rainbow kittens, and in the end we went with chocotech studios before we all wrung each others throats.

We kept chocotech studios for little awhile, but after awhile i wasnt too happy with it, i thought we could do better and i didnt want to go with anything chocolate or waffles or syrup related because it might be too closely related with CSW (chocolate syrupy waffles) blog my friend runs (and WWOH is loosely based on) but we wanted to be able to branch away from CSW. So after mauling over some names in my head i came up with Starlight Melodies. I thought it had a nice ring to it, and it was easily marketed (a logo would be easy to make for this) and its cute for otome games but good for other type of games too. We actually all really liked that name, and well decided to FINALLY stick with it.

So, it was kind of a disaster cuz we sucked at communication and getting along back then, but in the end we came up with a pretty good name i think so.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Applegate »

I actually just asked buddies if they had a memorable name. Or a good name.

One friend, who wasn't actually a friend of mine but who I have a love/hate relation with, suggested the name 'iihi', because if you repeated it it'd be someone laughing. (iihihihihi) I actually liked it, since it's short and sweet, and I do like laughs.

Of course, I only discovered later on that there's actually a Japanese company named IIHI, and it's an abbreviation of some sort... but I don't really plan to be some big shot indie with a huge Minecraftian hit with Matrix-esque production values; I admit to some indifference to what name I use to publish stories under.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#29 Post by Blane Doyle »

Wow, honestly I am shocked by the amount of responses I have gotten to my question. But I a highly appreciative of them as well! I think reading all of them is starting to help me get an idea of what I have in mind for a name.

Thanks guys!

Miyuki
Regular
Completed: Culina: The Spirit of Cooking
Organization: TangerineTriangle

#30 Post by Miyuki »

I picked mine after thinking about it a lot (and making a topic like this on the forum back when I joined). I had a freewebs account named tangerinetoe at my mom's recommendation in high school and I had a gaiaonline account name of riceforbreakfast. The two of them made me really want to have a name that was food/color related, but if I picked a food name then I didn't think anyone would think of writing/games.

So I decided to run with the color thing. I was kind of in love with the word tangerine at the time since it was a food AND a color and because I like alliteration I thought of Tangerine Triangle. I googled it and the only thing that showed up at the time was a dress from Urban Outfitters. That seemed like a weak enough google search for me to become more easily searchable and there you go.