SUSTAINABLE, EPISODIC and RECYCLABLE SHORT GENERIC VN

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

SUSTAINABLE, EPISODIC and RECYCLABLE SHORT GENERIC VN

#1 Post by mugenjohncel »

As the title says... I'm planning to do something really audacious and really feasible... hear me out...

The still unnamed protagonist... appearance still subject to change without prior notice since this is still early stages of planning

What I Uncle Mugen will do is layout write the basic background story which in this case is an elementary school girl who simply wanted to get even with everyone in class for the bullying and pranks she received the previous years and out of nowhere, there is Uncle Mugen, a mysterious long haired guy wearing an aloha shirt who offered his assistance and constantly encourages and brainwashes the poor girl... of course his services are not free but let's not dive into that for now...

The setting will be limited within the School premises and everything happens "inside" the school premises during school hours... The school itself will be comprehensive meaning we will already have a whole set of BG's for every single relevant part of the school like Swimming Pool, Classroom, Roof, Gym and so forth. There are two main characters... The still yet to be named Schoolgirl and Uncle Mugen and both will have a wide range set of emotions and depending on who was the writer for a particular episode, we can add additional emotions which will eventually be added to the library. The two will be shown as side images while a sprite (although not necessary) of the intended victim for the episode will show from time to time. All the art will be done by me Uncle Mugen to have it standard although a guest artist can and will be invited to do at least a set of CG (6 or less) once in a while once everything has taken off for quite some time...

Basically, it's a VN with strict framework where you have a generic protagonist (which is also the antagonist) with a specific goal and that is to get even with people in her class assisted by a long haired guy from the outside providing her with logistics, moral and material support and at the end of the day, everything they do will either fail or depending on the writer for the particular episode, backfire spectacularly although not permanently damage the protagonist or any long term effects so they can go after a new target the next day. Of course, there could be allowed circumstances where a previous event can influence the current like for example... Protagonist will try something and backfired and will most likely remember what happened and will exert some effort not to repeat the same mistake again...

To be fair, I will lead by example and release the first few episodes alone if I'm not fortunate enough to find a writer to work with. The framework will have some strict limitations like the school will have to remain intact or perhaps lightly damaged, no one dies, no permanent injuries and a few other restrictions that I still need to think but anything in between, sky is the limit... humiliation is OK but no direct rape, deadly weapons and fire and intent to kill is OK but it better backfire in a lulzy way and yet leave both party unharmed "physically"... Chemicals and abused substances are also fair game like laxatives are fine as long as we don't cross the line into heavy drugs like coke or any of the obviously universally banned substances like (I hate to say this) Marijuana, Shabu (aka methamphetamine), Cocaine, Bath Salts and so forth... Alcoholic Drinks may be used but only for the sole purpose of inflicting harm to the victim and not for personal consumption since the girl is still in elementary...

This will be a free project though if this thing does fly then we might make it beyond feasible and go profitable (wink)... The idea is to have a different writer for each episode who will work within the restricted framework of the setting. Most of the burden will be shouldered by Studio Mugenjohncel like BG's, GUI and stuff which will be standardized for every single episode though there might be a few variations like for example, the Science lab door got blown and in the next two or three episodes the spot where the science lab door used to be will be replaced by something like a piece of cardboard or the same door held only by duct tape... if you needed a nearest example... Think of the Team Rocket and their constant attempts at messing up with ash back then or the show ISNOGUD where the Sultan's trusted right man always schemes to get the Sultan out of power in anyway possible which eventually backfires but no permanent damage to him...

Music will use the same old Kevin Macleod though if there is a composer(s) willing to step up and slowly replace the generic tracks... Another thing to look out for are CG artist who preferably will work with the writer closely... there will be a hard limit of 6 CG's as to not put too much pressure on the CG artist and he/she can use his or her own drawing style which will only be limited to the CG's since the sprites, BG's, avatars and other graphics will be shouldered by Uncle Mugen + a little help from wherever I can get it...

Right now... we are currently forming the main framework but not yet recruiting but in case we do we will look for writers, CG artist and composers... the ideal length for each story is 3K or less... the lesser the better... we are leaning towards comedy, slice of life, moeblob, parody genre

So what do you think of this idea?... Toss your ideas and suggestions below, you think I needed to mention something or omit or add?... I Uncle Mugen is more than happy to hear from you guys...:mrgreen:

This thread will be updated constantly... with updates and images as we progress...

"POOF" (Disappears)
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Re: Sustainable, Episodic and Recyclable short generic VN

#2 Post by Obscura »

OMG if I ever get the time (later this year?) I would looooove to write an episode for you. It won't be a gay-men-boning-each-other story, I promise.

unless that's what you want...and need
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

#3 Post by tigerkidde »

I like the idea of episodic content from a creation standpoint. I think as I grow (or decline) in writing, I would like to contribute toward an episode of the trials the two face.

I also like the idea of having a suitable amount of art assets that allow for new stories without entirely new art. The event art being a wrench in this plan.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#4 Post by mugenjohncel »

Obscura wrote:unless that's what you want...and need
As long as it fit's the framework and no permanent damage to the protagonist why not... err... we can go for boy love but this is elementary school setting so uh...
tigerkidde wrote:The event art being a wrench in this plan.
That's why we decided to have a limit of 6 CG's for an episode and use his/her own art style as to not strain the artist too much or in worse case scenario, Uncle Mugen will also shoulder this part... of course, depending on the artist and writer, the self limit can be overriden but not recommended since we are going to recycle the GUI...

ImmaDeker
Regular
Organization: "Glycerine" by Bush

#5 Post by ImmaDeker »

I'll do it.

rasburn
Regular

#6 Post by rasburn »

I have to say this sounds really interesting! :) It's going to be fun to see how the different episodes work out together. Needless to say I'd be willing to write an episode if I had the time and my writing quality is deemed sufficient. I'll be following this thread.

PS. Mugen: from what I've seen of your art in other threads I must say it's really high quality and it's great that you're doing this :)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#7 Post by mugenjohncel »

UPDATE: Everything starts with the protagonist... I did quick sketch and color...

Here... the still unnamed protagonist. She is very plain as in very very generic... no fancy bells and whistles or special powers or skills... just an ordinary girl with a huge grudge... the drawing style is very very plain also and ahegao hair will provide additional enhancements to her emotions and will change accordingly...

'POOF" (Disappears)

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: SUSTAINABLE, EPISODIC and RECYCLABLE SHORT GENERIC VN

#8 Post by Applegate »

Clearly, it's not a cowlick, it's a tension gauge! ... Don't sue me, NIS.

I like the general concept, but:
Basically, it's a VN with strict framework where you have a generic protagonist (which is also the antagonist)
Protagonist is the one who moves the story forward.
Antagonist is the one who contends the protagonist.

So uh, how do you figure that's going to work?

ImmaDeker
Regular
Organization: "Glycerine" by Bush

#9 Post by ImmaDeker »

The main character has self destructive tendencies.

Misfile
Regular
Projects: Enjolras
Organization: Drunken Ferret Studios

#10 Post by Misfile »

This sounds very interesting, though it makes me sad that you're not going to go with the horror angle that this is so very much primed for.

ThisIsNoName
Veteran

#11 Post by ThisIsNoName »

So... Is it too much to ask for another character? I think it would be awesome to have one of the protagonist's classmates as a straight man. Someone who doesn't really care about if she succeeds or not, but doesn't pick on her either. Just someone who sits on the sidelines and comments on whatever happens.

Either way, this sounds absolutely awesome.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#12 Post by mugenjohncel »

ThisIsNoName wrote: So... Is it too much to ask for another character? I think it would be awesome to have one of the protagonist's classmates as a straight man. Someone who doesn't really care about if she succeeds or not, but doesn't pick on her either. Just someone who sits on the sidelines and comments on whatever happens.
Well... you could add him/her but be warned that everyone and every single character you introduce in this series can and will be fair game to other writers who might want to mess with him/her. I mean, he/she could be an innocent bystander in this episode then another writer comes up with a devious plot to involve him/her in a nasty accident like getting an accidental wedgie or got hit by a flying bag full of piss scooped from the toilet bowl (I miss High School)...

Right now, I'm scouring the internet for pranks and ways to get even with someone and if anyone here has a site or reference material they can recommend or even cartoon/anime shows I need to watch other than Boku no Pico, I Uncle Mugen am humbly begging to please point me to them...

Edit: Uh-oh... I now realize that my self-insert character is also subject to the same terms as the rest of the characters in this VN... things could get really messy for me in the near future...

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#13 Post by mugenjohncel »

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#14 Post by mugenjohncel »

UPDATE!...
Started fleshing the BG's and the Classroom is the most logical place to start.

But unlike my previous BG's where my aim is to create the most beautiful BG possible with the least amount of effort... for this specific project, I built the whole BG around the character and since the character is pretty much plain and simple, I now have to dumb down the detail to almost bare necessity...

Of course... being 3D means I can rotate the BG and freely chose the angle...

Also, it is flexible enough to do anything to it...

Edit:
I just realized all I have to do is stack the classroom on top of each other, put a roof, stairs and side and I now have a School Building...

The ultimate goal is to produce a set of BG's that will represent a school like this...

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#15 Post by mugenjohncel »

This whole vicious cycle of revenge all started... from a wedgie

I seriously suck at coming up with plots... I need to finalize everything and work with someone who can write better... actually, anyone as long as it's not me...

"POOF" (Disappears)