Where are the BxGs?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Boomsickle
Regular
Completed: Victorian Olives

Where are the BxGs?

#1 Post by Boomsickle »

So im new here and ive only played Juniper's Knot since it was on the front page of the re'py site and as im scrolling through the completed games forum and the demos and beta testing and ive noticed alot of these are GXB OR BXB and that's cool but its not my cup of tea could you people recommend any good BXG VNs as i cant seem to find them.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Where are the BxGs?

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

There have been a few that have come out - Homeward being most similar to the classic BxG stories. I'd argue that Taleweaver's ADRIFT has a lot of similarities to BxG games. And of course, Katawa Shoujo takes up a lot of mindspace. But there's been a bit of a BxG drought on this forum as of late.

I'd argue that VN development is cyclic, as games inspire new games. My feeling is that Re:Alistair inspired a lot of GxB games - games that you see on the forum today. Katawa Shoujo has inspired a lot of large BxG games, but those may take a year or more to complete, so it'll be a while before you see those projects come to completion.

There is the problem that a lot of BxG developers aren't active on this forum, for a variety of reasons, but they're starting to return, hopefully. (Since BxG games are some of my favorite games, I'd like to know what I can do to encourage this, while not seeming horribly unfair to everyone else.)

There are also a lot of short games, NaNoRenO/LD48/etc games, and so on.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

wakagana
Veteran
Projects: Flash Q
Organization: Team Bread

#5 Post by wakagana »

Wait 3-4 months and we'll have a demo up of Driftwood 8-D

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#6 Post by papillon »

There are a number of commercial indie BxG titles - Summer Session, Shira Oka, Bionic Heart, The Flower Shop (summer), etc

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Applegate »

(Since BxG games are some of my favorite games, I'd like to know what I can do to encourage this, while not seeming horribly unfair to everyone else.)
That's really something the community needs to do.

OP, When you say BxG, do you mean a dating game or a story that features a romantic relationship between a guy and a girl?

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#8 Post by Obscura »

Since BxG games are some of my favorite games, I'd like to know what I can do to encourage this, while not seeming horribly unfair to everyone else.
I think the prevailing criticism I've heard about the Lemmasoft community is that it's a giant circlejerk. I don't necessarily agree with this--I believe you can find honest opinions if you request it--but I will say I personally refrain from giving overly negative criticism at Lemmasoft (unless, again, the game developer/artist/writer/musician specifically requests it.)

I dunno if this will do anything to attract more BXG developers here, but it would be helpful if game makers could state in their completed games/WIP threads what sort of feedback they want, if any. Sure, the default is that everybody likes "constructive criticism", but that can mean different things to different people. I don't know if you're a hobbyist who enjoys tinkering, or someone seriously interested in making a polished game and willing to take some blows. I'm also more way more inclined to spend time on your demo/game/WIP and give you feedback if I know you're the latter.

My .02.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#9 Post by papillon »

(Speaking of criticism/feedback, don't forget to hop in and post critiques in the writing competition!)

Boomsickle
Regular
Completed: Victorian Olives

#10 Post by Boomsickle »

Applegate wrote: OP, When you say BxG, do you mean a dating game or a story that features a romantic relationship between a guy and a girl?
[/quote]

Im referring to anything related to a guy chasing after a female or females it can be a dating sim or a regular VN even a KN and thanks for the lists but ive played a couple of the oness from japan and i'd like to see what other people in the world can make. And also thanks for the list of the boy chases girl but im looking for the ones already popular , the ones that stand above the rest as i am eventually gonna work on my own id like to see how high the bar is raised.

wakagana
Veteran
Projects: Flash Q
Organization: Team Bread

#11 Post by wakagana »

Boomsickle wrote:So im new here and ive only played Juniper's Knot since it was on the front page of the re'py site and as im scrolling through the completed games forum and the demos and beta testing and ive noticed alot of these are GXB OR BXB and that's cool but its not my cup of tea could you people recommend any good BXG VNs as i cant seem to find them.

YOU JUST WAIT MY CHILD ;_; only a few more months of work now -cries-

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#12 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Oh yeah, the BxG demographic isn't doing so well at the moment :(

The majority on the forum were created earlier on when the forum was mostly guys. We have dug up a couple recently in the Group Plays like This one but these were before the recent quality boom we have now.

Most of the BxG that get talked about are indeed Japanese. And since these have been in English for quite a while, it has probably affected the makers here. I would say that there is pressure to be like or better than those commercial studio games, and so a lot of people have been unwilling to make smaller, less polished games like the GxB crowd has done out of desperation for lack of said translated games.

These are both mine by the way (and the irony being is that I like otome the best).
The Elevator is... kind of BxG, but not really. Like on the same level Juniper Knot is. Similar length too. And this is spoilerish but
Ristorante Amore http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=14646 has two BxG paths after the prologue of the game. Don't let the exterior fool you.
But yeah, there are problems with the BxG area. All I can say is that the people who like BxG need to show their support to the WiPs, they tend to be pretty silent. Create a bit of a support circle for each other. Even the BxB scene is more lively. After that it's really up to the creators to make and complete interesting games that will help inspire more games. The trend of having massive games with massive groups as inspired by Katawa Shojo... that isn't going to end well in my opinion. There needs to be more baby steps, like a couple games with 3-4 love interests that focuses on getting it right instead of massive. Once these guys have a couple games under their belt, then I'll believe they can do that epic game with 6 or more girls.

I'll admit I'm not a fan of BxG games and it has nothing to do with having a guy MC and chasing after girls, it has a lot more to do with boobs, unrealistic female characters and long winded monologues. I would gather guys have a similar issue with your average otome. But I've had my interest piqued by GxG games before because of interesting characters, so it's definitely not impossible. Just your standard school slice of life with an 'average' MC and a cast of girls that take after important troupes isn't going to light up my interest much. But I am outside the target audience. Maybe getting it right for the BxG crowd is more important.

junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

#13 Post by junna »

Boomsickle wrote:So im new here and ive only played Juniper's Knot since it was on the front page of the re'py site and as im scrolling through the completed games forum and the demos and beta testing and ive noticed alot of these are GXB OR BXB and that's cool but its not my cup of tea could you people recommend any good BXG VNs as i cant seem to find them.
hmm... can't really think of any right of the bat but I remember Ristorante Amore had a BxG route to play.
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#14 Post by Samu-kun »

Well, I think it's because most guys don't really draw as a hobby any more. That's mostly a girl thing nowadays... All the dudes are too busy playing video games to draw. :(

junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

#15 Post by junna »

Samu-kun wrote:Well, I think it's because most guys don't really draw as a hobby any more. That's mostly a girl thing nowadays... All the dudes are too busy playing video games to draw. :(
That's...just sad.
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out