Winterblood [BxB][Corrupted Fairy Tale] *NEW VIDEO 6/12/14*

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
raegun
Projects: Winterblood

Winterblood [BxB][Corrupted Fairy Tale] *NEW VIDEO 6/12/14*

#1 Post by raegun »

Thank you for taking the time to look at my thread. This visual novel is a creation I'm working on all on my own-- art, script, coding, music, etc. All critique is welcome.
Latest Announcement :

June 12, 2014 - Yes I'm still working on this project! It's not dead. I promise. I've just been awfully busy with art school. A lot of updates have been made to the script, and I will hopefully have a demo ready before the end of my summer vacation. So, before September. That's the goal, anyway. But the most exciting news is I have a promo video to give you a taste of the world I'm building.

View it on YouTube.
News:
6/12/14 - Promo video released!
1/14/14 - Much progress has been made. All art has been updated.
5/18/13 - Statistics updated. Working diligently on the script.
5/12/13 - Project rekindled with myself doing 100% of it alone.
10/24/12 - Still waiting for Tyler to code the script. I think if he doesn't get on it soon,
I'll be searching for someone a bit faster than him... Working on CGs and plot planning in the meantime.
10/16/12- I've been working on making images almost every day. Waiting for the first part of the script to be
properly coded so Tyler and I can test it out.
10/12/12 - I have begun working on the script. Man, this thing is going to be really long.
10/11/12 - Thread created. Having a bit of trouble with uploading a few
of the images to the internet at the moment because of my internet connection.
Will update the thread later.
10/9/12 - Project started

Winterblood is built off of the fairy tale of Snow White. It takes many plot points from the old fairy tale into its framework, but has its own unique imagining. I'm also taking inspiration from many games, such as The Path and The Cat Lady. The setting is dystopian and slightly gothic, set in a world where industry reigns and corporations own private armies.
The VN's goal is to entice the reader to take many different routes to discover more details about its setting and the personal secrets of all the characters. It is, at its core, a BL game, but I wanted to make it very challenging to get through. It might be rated 16+ for violence and sexual themes, though I might bump the rating higher, depending on how things go.

When I have finished an in-game week, I will release a demo version. Though, if you are interested in beta testing what I have so far, PM me.

First and foremost: our protagonist and cast of characters.

Isaiah Weiss
The son of the CEO of White Block Corp., a leader in the world's energy innovators, Isaiah quickly finds himself in a desperate situation, ending up with the company of a motley crew of odd individuals in one of the last remaining forests on the planet. His personality is typically polite and reserved, but he will not hesitate to speak up if moved to.

"The Crow"
Shhhh, spoilers.

Dorian
A charismatic man with a sharp tongue, he is able to run his boarding house
with the guile of a politician. However, he's fairly easy-going and doesn't take much too seriously.

Cicero
Once a wildly popular artist and poet, Cicero has left his home in the city to get away from the pollution and take care of his failing health.
He's highly knowledgeable about literature and can often be found reading some more.

Blaise
A drifter, welcomed around any fireplace for his ability with an acoustic guitar.
Hopelessly romantic, he is better with lyrics than with an average conversation.

Grey
Dorian's best friend from his teenage years, Grey now belongs to the
private army of White Block Corp.'s rival business. When off-duty,
he stops by the boarding house to visit his friend and adopted son.

Devin
The youngest tenant of the boarding house, Grey's adopted son takes pleasure
in causing mischief and cooking and sometimes both combined.

Silias
An introverted man, Silias seems to always be up in his room. Occasionally
a loud noise can be heard from the other side of his door.
He's probably up to something science-y and ambitious...

Hector
An optimistic fellow, always available for a joke or a helpful hint when you need one.

Background examples:

Discussion points:
[*]Suggestions
[*]Who is your favorite character, visually?
[*]Tips from veteran visual novel writers
[*]General comments
Last edited by raegun on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 11 times in total.

AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

Re: Winterblood [BxB][Corrupted Fairy Tale]

#2 Post by AshenhartKrie »

This looks and sounds amazing. The art is different, and that's a good thing!
I'm guessing that this is a dark twist on Snow White (which was, really, like most unabridged fairytales, dark and slightly horror themed) and I like the idea of it.
Plus it's BXB ^^ Always a good thing lol.
I want to know who The Crow is now, he reminds me of The Morrigan, and I wanna know if he's roamceable. TT^TT If you want a proofreader I'm always here, just drop me a PM.

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

raegun

#3 Post by raegun »

AshenhartKrie wrote:This looks and sounds amazing. The art is different, and that's a good thing!
I'm guessing that this is a dark twist on Snow White (which was, really, like most unabridged fairytales, dark and slightly horror themed) and I like the idea of it.
Plus it's BXB ^^ Always a good thing lol.
I want to know who The Crow is now, he reminds me of The Morrigan, and I wanna know if he's romaceable. TT^TT If you want a proofreader I'm always here, just drop me a PM.
Thank you for your input! Wow, you're fast. Haha~ I'm super excited to get this thing in motion. I've only been on it for a few days now, if you can believe that. The only character I have yet to draw is Hector since he doesn't have a path. He's more of a .... Cheshire Cat/comic relief character.
The Crow takes the place of the Huntsman in the original story and yes, he is romanceable. Though I'm doing my best to make that path extremely difficult. I hope I can make it worth it in the end~

AshenhartKrie
Veteran

#4 Post by AshenhartKrie »

Yup~ I'm a quickie. I'm suprised no one else has commented actually.
Cheshire Cat types characters are my personal fave.
I think there are ways to make a secret, or 'hidden' ending which you could do for him, but since I don't know anything about programming, you'd have to ask someone who's had loads of experience on the matter. I'm just a writer. ^^

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

raegun

#5 Post by raegun »

AshenhartKrie wrote:Yup~ I'm a quickie. I'm surprised no one else has commented actually.
Cheshire Cat types characters are my personal fave.
I think there are ways to make a secret, or 'hidden' ending which you could do for him, but since I don't know anything about programming, you'd have to ask someone who's had loads of experience on the matter. I'm just a writer. ^^

Yes, a hidden ending. Or rather, a true ending. Huhuhuhu. I won't say much more. Tyler and I will probably work it out.

AshenhartKrie
Veteran

#6 Post by AshenhartKrie »

:D Offer for proof-reading is still on the table. Good luck you two! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#7 Post by FatUnicornGames »

If you want to make someone a hidden character that isn't super hard.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =8&t=14954
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Asuka Shinota-chi
Completed: In the Name of Love and DotA
Projects: In the Name of Love and DotA the Second Login

#8 Post by Asuka Shinota-chi »

Gothic style,right?nice hand drawing...

raegun

#9 Post by raegun »

Asuka Shinota-chi wrote:Gothic style,right?nice hand drawing...
Yeah, you could say "gothic"~ I've heavily inspired by this game that's based on Little Red Riding Hood: This~
It's obvious now that I point it out. Heheh....

And thank you very much. I'm not very good at doing lineart digitally, so I'm doing mostly everything with ink and paper.

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#10 Post by Joey »

Love the art style, I can see where the influence from The Path (which is a neat game) comes in :D The reddish backgrounds especially! I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by try10 »

The art is really unique and the backgrounds scary ( in a good way ). :D
I really want to play the full game when it's released, because I always liked the story of Snow White and everything related to it. :)

raegun

#12 Post by raegun »

Thank you both! I was originally slightly nervous about my artwork, but I'm glad you like it. In addition to The Path, I was also slightly inspired by the artwork of a manga called Kami no Kodomo. Just a fun fact here~ I hope I manage to distill all the nice traits from these things into the final game.

At this point, I have the introduction written out and I'm waiting for Tyler to code it. Maybe we'll release that first little piece as a demo? What do you think?

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by try10 »

Yes, a Demo would be awesome! XD

raegun

#14 Post by raegun »

Alright, with the addition of user Rokuso3 to my little programming team, I'd like to think progress will start up again. Hopefully.
u n u

wakagana
Veteran
Projects: Flash Q
Organization: Team Bread

#15 Post by wakagana »

OH GOD. 'THE CROW' nearly made me poop my pants.

I'm going to have nightmares now ;_;

Aside from that...I like the filtered pictures, they should go exceptionally well with the art style of the sprites.