Raven Hollow (Psych-SciFi, RPG, a little bit of GxG) On Hold

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
squark
Veteran
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy (Proofreader), The Abandoned Land: Book One (Proofreader)
Projects: Raven Hollow (Core Coder, Proofreader), The Universal Hope (Core Coder, Proofreader)
Organization: FlareBlue Entertainment

Raven Hollow (Psych-SciFi, RPG, a little bit of GxG) On Hold

#1 Post by squark »

So anyway, getting as far as I have has taken the better part of two and a half years to date.
Revisions, bugs, fixes, GUI updates, College and a host of other "Gonna Get In The Way" things had stalled this.
This is the first really big thing that I've attempted. Multiple ends, being a major selling point to me will be in later revisions.
Anyway, now that the blurb is out of the way, here's something.

PLOT/STORY
Now, how best to explain the plot without giving away everything, too?

The player will be cast into the role of Raine, a star player of her College's Basketball team, and on this particular day, she's late. Quite late indeed. And this is the fault of her closest friend, Claire - who said she had something important to tell her, but kept stuttering and tripping over her own words when she tried to say anything.
Unable to take it anymore, Raine just bolted for the arena, not wanting to be so late that she'd miss the game plan.
Claire just stood there dumbstruck, watching Raine's form slowly disappear in the Midsummer heat, and eventually decided to go for flute recital.
Pausing at the door, she mused "I already know all this, and it's perfect. Do I really need to sit through the same thing as I have for two weeks?"
Eventually reasoning that it would be okay to miss one class, she ran after Raine, making up her mind to thoughtlessly blurt out what she'd been wanting to say.
And she stopped when she saw Raine's gear bag just sitting there, on it's side. Picking it up, everything was still there. There were no side alleys here, so what's happened?
Raine eventually wakes up with what seems to be an excruciating headache. As her eyes focus, all she sees is a dank cell, a moonlit night and a someone who is both familiar and strange at once, staring at her with wide, surprised eyes.
This leaves her with three questions:
Where is this? Who is she? What am I doing in a cell?
No, make that FOUR questions.
What the hell is that smell?!

A Little Bit About The Story As A Whole

The primary objective is to find a way back, and also to explain to the head coach how you managed to miss so much training and a major match without so much as a phone call. Also on the cards is to try to unravel the mystery that is Raven Hollow. Can you do this, or will her adventure take a different path? This is where you come in. Your choices will determine what happens to Raine as she struggles to make sense of the situation.

There aren't any screenshots for me to show yet, but that will change, but I do have a short video of the first couple of minutes of gameplay.

Raven Hollow as it currently stands.

All music and graphics used are considered Stock, and are used without commercial interest.

What I'd really appreciate is a character artist and a BG artist. I can't afford to pay, however. I do have a thread open for this purpose.
I need a truckload of Backgrounds. This is because I want to cut down on rehashing.

People I'd really like to thank for helping me get this far:

Anima, for the awesome code work
kankan, for helping me really sort things out
chronoluminaire, for the early motivation
PyTom, for making Ren'Py
And anyone else who's at least interested.

Later!

EDIT: This is now on hold. But not abandoned.
Last edited by squark on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Without communication, nothing is possible.
"All we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore"
-- Edgar Allen Poe, "A Dream Within A Dream"
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Raven Hollow (on hold for now)
Peace and Love,
Squark

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Raven Hollow (Psych-SciFi, RPG and a little bit of GxG)

#2 Post by papillon »

Interesting premise, hopefully you'll find someone to work with.

I would suggest not using all caps all the time though, it can get aggravating to read. (And better padding of the text to fit in the dialog box would help!)

squark
Veteran
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy (Proofreader), The Abandoned Land: Book One (Proofreader)
Projects: Raven Hollow (Core Coder, Proofreader), The Universal Hope (Core Coder, Proofreader)

#3 Post by squark »

I know the padding needs work, thanks. And the font I picked is supposed to look like that. I could've picked something nicer, that's true. You should've seen the first one I picked. That was aggrevating AND difficult to read.

Knight's Quest.ttf is what I'm using (at least until I can find something better suited) and the only lower case it has is Small Caps.

I'll take it under consideration and see if there's something I like the look of more.

Thanks for letting me know what you think!
"All we see or seem

I stand amid the roar
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Peace and Love,
Squark

squark
Veteran

#4 Post by squark »

(Update 21/10/12)
The text box has been fixed, and font changed. I'm not on my project compy at the moment. Will upload screen caps later, when I get back home.
Next I'll start on some more scenes.

Planned for next update:
Town Central
Forest Gates
Third demo version character implementation

I swear, this is moving faster than I thought.
"All we see or seem

I stand amid the roar
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Peace and Love,
Squark