Pokémon Dating Sim: Character Writers and Tracers wanted

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Ayutac
Regular
Projects: Pokémon Dating Sim
Organization: A Breeze Of Science
Deviantart: Ubro

Pokémon Dating Sim: Character Writers and Tracers wanted

#1 Post by Ayutac »

EDIT: Game is released, please post anything relevant to it there.

@those who are to lazy/busy to read: the last three paragraphs capture the main subject of the thread, thank you.

I've read Suggestions for recruiters and so I know you're going to look at my post number and ask: Is he just meat shopping? I think that's just half true. I realized I can recruit people here AFTER I signed up and I think it's a chance I just shouldn't let slip away.

Before I start I may tell some things about my other projects so far. I'm more the programmer and because of the lack of grafic designers I hate to tell you I haven't completed any game so far. But let's have a short look what I did by now, in (mostly) chronologically order:
  • My calculator (Pascal, Delphi, C, C#, Java): The first thing I mostly do when I get a new language is to implement my formula for drawing a bunch of cards from a deck. I notice I'm still saying "my formula" even after I got to know it's known as the multivariant hypergeometrical distribution one year ago.
  • MineSweeper and Snake (Pascal/Delphi): Two very old games of mine, imitations of the two known games.
  • Kirby Jump'n'Run (Pascal/Delphi): Got to move this little guy, let him suck up enemies and take damage. Project got frozen because I missed a sprite creator and a level designer (through I didn't really looked for help, I was just about 18 and inexperienced).
  • Field Games (Java): My first real Java project (after the calculator): I was told to program TicTacToe for the console but I overdid it and created a package with which it got easy to create a 2-dimensional field of any size with any number of win combinations and players. The most interesting part of it is the AI.
  • RPGMaker (Java): Out of boringness I started to create an RPG-Maker (yes, an own). The mentionable thing is that I completed the map creator, with loading images and splitting them into tiles, the whole direction thingy and so. Then I somehow lost interest because, you know, it already exists and isn't half bad.
  • SoS vs. DN Beat'em'Up (Java): Basing on the stories of a friend of mine and me I started a Beat'em'Up game, got them moving, taking damage and the first steps of attacking, but I froze it because of missing images. It was hard to determinate where the damaging objects (like fists) are to be placed if you can only see a red and a blue square.
  • FractalGenerator and Turing Machine (Java): The fractal generator takes a polygon line to reproduce it on itself and the Turing Machine is just a Turing Machine and well, I didn't create a GUI for it (but for the generator).
  • Sebastian's own Stories, short: SoS (Writing): Since I was six I was thinking of stories and when I got 16 I started writing them down. Before I started studying I did a chapter (~20 A4-pages) half a year, after starting studies I haven't published much new, but created a wiki which aims to be bilingual (German and English). I should mention that I find my stories hillarious and I'm aware others mostly do not.
  • Pokémon Dating Sim (Python/Ren'Py): The project I'm now working on and this thread is about, see content below.
  • Pokémon GTA (Ruby/RPG-Maker XP/Pokémon Essentials): After I finished the Dating Sim enough (something about Version 2.x I guess), I wanna continue this. Like Firered/Leafgreen, just with the possibility for the protagonist to be evil. And not the "Oh no, he just stealed my Pokémon and now I'm a completely defenseless girl" evil but two, three steps after that. The possibility at least. First off I have to mimick Firered with Pokémon Essentials. By now I copied the maps from start town to Mount Moon.
I have some other smaller things of course, but they are not really worth mentioning I guess.

So, I want to make a Pokémon Dating Sim, where you can date various girls from the anime/manga/games/whatever. My dreamy, unrealistic team wishes and a huge introduction to the game are to found here. So in this thread I'll concentrate more on what I actually need and what I already have by now.

First off, by now I have new software, an Intel Core i7; Ren'Py works. I started this project around New Year (because I was bored or something), created the game concept together with a friend and scripted the core things like character objects and interaction methods, in Python only because Ren'Py didn't worked on my hardware back then. And when I write "game concept" I do not mean ideas but really game concept like how the relationship system will work and which stats are available and some formulas e.g. how the charm factor will affect interaction with the girls. Concerning the programming I want to have everything reuseable and extendable. When the project is finished (Version 1.0) I want to make the code open source. I've programmed everything so far in such a manner that it is no problem to add any number of girls to the game later. Also switching the target gender to boys or use a complete different theme (like Naruto or something like that) would be relative easy (easy as in much easier than to write everything from scratch again). The code is well subdivided and so files like character.rpy could be copied completely and files like girlsNavData.rpy would only need a little change in the programming and of course the new lines what the characters want to say.

So, I'm not just the designer, I'm also the programmer. And the game is pretty far in this manner, except for dating the basic Dating Sim is playable from the programmer's view and also from the player's view (even if it's almost only text-based). I wouldn't like to give a screenshot (because duh, no pictures and stuff) and don't want to share source code just yet (Edit: Except when seeking for problem solutions like this), but I'll tell you I have 1549 lines of reasonable Ren'Py-/Python-code. Reasonable in that way that I counted the empty lines you need for readability. options.rpy and screens.rpy are not included but the few database entries we have so far (especially items). I would guess about half of it is pure programming (without empty lines :P).

My work before Ren'Py ran on my hardware lasted about 2 month and I started again this August, after I got this i7. By the way, I only learned Python for this project, through I have to admit it's a nice language.

So now, what do I need? Girls ain't gonna add themselves. While I like Pokémon I have to admit I'm not really familiar with most of the girls. So I need some guys who can write their lines for when the protagonist is speaking to them. Like, when he is a stranger, she says "Go away..." or just "...", you know. But with Bulbapedia I could do this part alone, it would just take longer. By now I'm taking care of Misty (so I get something done) and together with two friends I started Bianca. After getting accepted as a writer (or developer, as part of the project), one will join the board for it with detailed information for writers (hidden for guests).
But more important are the images. As stated in the very third link of this thread backgrounds can be found at the internet, although I would prefer vector backgrounds. But the girls need to be vectorized, or traced, to say it more properly. As my thread at the PokéCommunity has shown or this example at my DeviantArt-Page shows, I can do that part to. But that takes way to much time and I'm really not happy with me doing that (while I'm completely satisfied with the quality (except for the eyes maybe)).

The trick is that any volunteer can trace or write any girl (from Pokémon) he/she likes, I'll store the effort and when I have vector image and lines both for one girl she will be added to the game. And I would like to mention that I think tracing is very easy, because I have no talent and besides those three images I haven't worked with vectors before, so anybody can learn it. Please join for creating a fun game!
Edit: I forgot to mention we need just one traced image for a girl for the start, so the player can at least see who he is talking to.
Edit: For anyone who wants to trace a character: It should be no problem for you if your work gets reused and/or modified later on, e.g. when we need another expression.

What else is there to say about the game? We plan a lot of features, but they are exactly that and thus they play no role for the first release. You gotta start small, after all. One of this is the adult content, for the game is a Dating Sim after all (just compare the flash dating sims out there). But this is still far away and one should only worry the project he take/took part in will have such things later on. But you can switch the content on/off of course.
Second it is no 100%-serious game, so we will have some jokes and internet culture references in it (someone knows Gary Mother ******* Oak?), the Pinky Pie Scene when a girl becomes Best Friend FOREVER! is already written in stone. But of course it won't be too silly either, so no "LOL drugs!"-jokes like they were in the Love Hina Dating Sim (seriously, did this game consisted of anything else?). I go for a 80-90% seriousness level.
And no I haven't to offer anything than fun and credits, sorry.
Last edited by Ayutac on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

CtrlAltLee
Regular
Completed: Pizza Ditza, Som'thin' Short
Projects: The Despots Daughter
Organization: Nerd Eden Studios

Re: Pokémon Dating Sim: Character Writers and Tracers wanted

#2 Post by CtrlAltLee »

Hmmm. Usually I'd say no, but since you're a programmer already it seems like it might not be a useless time sink. Plus, there are plenty of cute Pokemon girls. Does it have to be from "season 1", or can it be any pokegirl? If any, I'd be willing to spend 10 or so hours on a spite, her expressions, and an outfit swap or two for Maylene (Sumomo), as I've always thought she was a bit cute in promotional art.

Ayutac
Regular

#3 Post by Ayutac »

CtrlAltLee wrote:If any, I'd be willing to spend 10 or so hours on a spite, her expressions, and an outfit swap or two for Maylene (Sumomo), as I've always thought she was a bit cute in promotional art.
This one? No problem at all. Sounds great actually :D
But I hope it would be no problem if your work get derivated later? E.g. if we need another expression and you're not available or something like that.
And I'm not sure what you mean with spite... But for the record I would like the characters to be based of offical artwork including anime and manga scenes.

Are you also interested in writing her lines? If not I'll study her to write a decent character, so I get my first three girls for version 1.0 ready :D
Up next: An original, open source, text-based Dating Sim. Stay tuned ;)

CtrlAltLee
Regular
Completed: Pizza Ditza, Som'thin' Short
Projects: The Despots Daughter
Organization: Nerd Eden Studios

#4 Post by CtrlAltLee »

Oops, I meant Sprite. Haha.
And yeah, I'll do her that way, like the anime/manga, not like, eight bit.
Nah, not at all. I'll even send you the PSD when I'm done so that deviating be easier to do.
I'll need either a PSD template or the specific size and DPI you want the character at so mines not like super huge or super tiny compared to the others you'll get.
I'm not really interested in writing, I just think bandages and sweatpants are cute XD; And I like pink hair.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

If you're committed to creating a fan project, make sure you know the risks. Some fan games have received cease-and-desist notices, including (according to a web search that I just did) one fan-made Pokemon MMO. It's less risky to create an original game or story.

Also, you talked about your experience with programming. If you have any trouble using Ren'py, or getting a gameplay feature to work, then be sure to ask.

One more important question: do you have an estimate of how much of your game will be narrative, and how much will be gameplay (schedules, statistics, minigames, etc)?
Ayutac wrote:We plan a lot of features... One of this is the adult content, for the game is a Dating Sim after all (just compare the flash dating sims out there).
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. You see, I have played a few Flash games written in English that had genuine simulation gameplay. But the only one I remember which had anything resembling adult content was Aching Dreams. A lot of the others which I tried were really mild. As far as I recall, the romance games created by Nummyz and Pacthesis didn't even have cursing.

Now as for complex romance games that were *not* created in Flash... I have played a few translated games that were NSFW, but most of the games available in English are reasonably worksafe. For further details, take a few minutes and browse this list from the Visual Novel Database (in alphabetical order, with tag: Dating Simulation, and filter: English).

If you want to create optional adult content in your fan game, then there's nothing I can do to stop you. If you're not sure, then think about it carefully, and ask other fans that you trust.
Ayutac wrote:Second it is no 100%-serious game, so we will have some jokes and internet culture references in it...
Don't worry, most people incorporate humor into their works. It's entirely possible that someone has created an all-drama no-comedy complex romance game and I don't know it... but if you're creating a game for entertainment, then humor definitely has its place.
Ayutac wrote:...so no "LOL drugs!"-jokes like they were in the Love Hina Dating Sim (seriously, did this game consisted of anything else?).
That fan game was created at least seven years ago. Now you've got me wondering where its creators are now... But enough of this tangent.

Sexy Yuri
Regular
Completed: None..
Projects: Demonic Hearts(Current). Paradise Plus
Organization: Ero-Ga

#6 Post by Sexy Yuri »

I remember wanting to do a pokemon dating sim game! :'D The list got too long so it didn't get anywhere. :cry: I'm wondering if I could do write for Pokemon champion Cynthia. Maybe?

Ayutac
Regular

#7 Post by Ayutac »

gekiganwing wrote:If you're committed to creating a fan project, make sure you know the risks. Some fan games have received cease-and-desist notices, including (according to a web search that I just did) one fan-made Pokemon MMO. It's less risky to create an original game or story.
I know these risks, but I don't see them as an obstacle. First off at least the programming will be reuseable and second if the rest of the pain shares my ideal we don't really care about the game shut down: They can't forbid the vectors because that would mean to forbid artwork of Pokémon. They can hardly forbid the character lines because that would mean to forbid fanfictions. Both would make the audience very mad. And I can share the free-of-protected-names source code as I please. Every guy could just compile the game for himself/herself.
That doesn't work with MMO's, through.

And yeah, I'll ask for help anytime I need some. I'm not shy, you know :-) But just by using search I just got the inventory ready.
gekiganwing wrote:One more important question: do you have an estimate of how much of your game will be narrative, and how much will be gameplay (schedules, statistics, minigames, etc)?
I don't really get the question I guess. It's a dating sim, so you basically click where to go and what to do, e.g. raising stats and hitting on chicks. There is some kind of main story (which reasons why you could meet any girl) and it's expandable. Minigames are features as a advanced inventory system is.
Ayutac wrote:We plan a lot of features... One of this is the adult content, for the game is a Dating Sim after all (just compare the flash dating sims out there).
Well, I'm not so much educated in this section. I played the Dating Sims of DNA², Galaxy Angels, Love Hina and Naruto. See a pattern there? I also played the Pico Sim Date and later on, err, Hitomi (Stepsister) (jeeeez, that was a sick game). I do not plan to aim at a 50:50 ratio for non-Hentai/Hentai. But hey, all girls are adults (appearence does not change this fact) and when the player reaches the "Lover" milestone, it only seem natural he/she gets proper rewarded.
gekiganwing wrote:If you want to create optional adult content in your fan game, then there's nothing I can do to stop you.
Why would you want to stop me? Afraid that messes everything up? And I'm aware a good game does not need hentai of any kind. I just think it belongs to the good tone to make it available if wanted (proper rewards, as stated above).

Sexy Yuri wrote:I remember wanting to do a pokemon dating sim game! :'D The list got too long so it didn't get anywhere. :cry: I'm wondering if I could do write for Pokemon champion Cynthia. Maybe?
Wouldn't happen to be this list? I'm sorry to tell you Cynthia is taken already, as Saphire/May is and I'm more or less doing Misty. Got any other favourites you feel you could write in character?

Sexy Yuri
Regular
Completed: None..
Projects: Demonic Hearts(Current). Paradise Plus
Organization: Ero-Ga

#8 Post by Sexy Yuri »

That would the list I have. haha. I wasn't aware that people still wanted that. P: I think it best if I did it installments. Bummer that Cynthia was taken... I think I will revive P: I will get back to you on which character though.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by gekiganwing »

I realized that over a week has passed, and this reply is overdue... Are you having any trouble with development or getting support? If you have any trouble finding people who have time and resources on this forum, then you might need to look elsewhere.
Ayutac wrote:I played the Dating Sims of DNA², Galaxy Angels, Love Hina and Naruto. See a pattern there?
SimGirls has existed for over a decade now, but I haven't made time to play it. I'm familiar with fan-made Flash games based on the three latter series. Each one had romance options and gameplay, but none of them had any explicit content. I apologize if I did not make this clear earlier.
During my first few years in fandom, I had quite a bit of cash and not much common sense, so I bought quite a few games translated by JAST and G-Collections. (I kept hoping the companies would license one of the untranslated games that I really wanted...) In that time, I read a few adult VNs that made Hitomi My Stepsister look pretty mild.

More recently, I have delved into the fan translation and western VN scene. It's been refreshing to discover different kinds of content. Very different takes on romance, or VNs with entirely different themes. I found "A Midsummer Day's Resonance" and "Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side DS" to be revelatory. Same for "Black Pencil" and "RE: Alistair."
Ayutac wrote:Why would you want to stop me? Afraid that messes everything up?
My intention was to encourage you to think about what you planned to create. As you may already know, Rule 34 ("if you can name it, then someone has made NSFW material of it") has no exceptions. That said, sometimes the original creators find out that vulgar fanworks exist. Read the TVTropes article on Rule 34 Creator Reactions if you have time. Keep in mind that there have been an awful lot of negative reactions.

Ayutac
Regular

#10 Post by Ayutac »

gekiganwing wrote:I realized that over a week has passed, and this reply is overdue... Are you having any trouble with development or getting support? If you have any trouble finding people who have time and resources on this forum, then you might need to look elsewhere.
Well no, I don't have any trouble. (Except for this maybe.) Actually, I'm quite finished. Just some jobs and shops and the Dating Sim is finished functionality-wise. Oh, and I have to add the music. All I need then are the characters (vector images and lines). For ANY character from Pokémon. If I haven't said it already, tracing is easy. I just started Cynthia just so I get my 2 start characters for the game.

So please tell me, what do I do now? Currently I did at least 97 % of the (almost complete) game so far, the other 3 % are from a lazy friend of mine. Maybe we will meet this weekend to discuss which Alpha/Beta/Omega Version we have by now so I can create a proper "Work in progress" thread. Did I said tracing is easy and ideal for beginners? But yeah, what would be the next step, at this board at least?
gekiganwing wrote:
Read the TVTropes article on Rule 34 Creator Reactions
Gonna do that, TVTropes is always worth a reading. (Sounds like terrible English o_O) Thank you very much for the recommendation.
gekiganwing wrote:SimGirls has existed for over a decade now
Now I feel old. Again. *sigh*

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Lishy »

Any ideas what kind of hentai to expect? Also, how is the art situation coming?

I'm actually *really* intrigued by a pokemon dating sim idea. PM me if you want to hear some ideas.
-

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by gekiganwing »

Ayutac wrote:So please tell me, what do I do now? ...what would be the next step, at this board at least?
If you have a (nearly) finished game or demo, let us know. Tell us if you need help with finding/removing bugs, checking gameplay balance, correcting typos and inconsistencies, and so on. We can provide feedback on art, music, writing, and more.

Also, make sure to back up your data!
Ayutac wrote:Now I feel old. Again. *sigh*
Every year brings another video game related anniversary that makes me think "wow, it's been __ years since that happened." It was forty years ago when Pong was first released, and became the first commercially successful video game. It was only thirty years ago when the Atari 2600 and arcade games were huge. It was only twenty years ago when games on CD-ROM were becoming commercially viable, and console wars became a big deal ("Genesis does what Nintendon't"). And it was only ten years ago when games such as Morrowind, GTA Vice City, Animal Crossing, and Kingdom Hearts were first released.

Ayutac
Regular

#13 Post by Ayutac »

Lishy wrote:Any ideas what kind of hentai to expect?
For the time being, none. It somehow became a feature to me, means I will add it somewhen in the future... Thing is, it is dependent on art and as I said, that is not my primary job. But when it comes, there will be two versions, one safe for work (at least so much as a Dating Sim can be) and one with a switch to disable hentai if wanted.
But to answer the question, after Boyfriend-Milestone there comes Lover and things that come with this status. Actually it would be quite funny to make the success of certain dependent on the stats like skills etc >:D
Lishy wrote:Also, how is the art situation coming?
One Misty image is fully traced, one May image near completion and I started Cynthia some days ago, already got her clothes. For version 1.0 I'm fine with that, but we would want a additional image for meeting and one for dating. Changing expressions on the existing ones is not difficult since they are vector images :D Although it is not done yet. My primary goal is to get this running so people/fans feel more like they could make this more awesome by helping out with art. I'm NOT the artist of this project (even when I feel like I haven't done a bad job so far :D).
gekiganwing wrote:If you have a (nearly) finished game or demo, let us know. Tell us if you need help with finding/removing bugs, checking gameplay balance, correcting typos and inconsistencies, and so on. We can provide feedback on art, music, writing, and more.
So, it would take about an hour of work or two to finish the game to Alpha (very little things to add, I'm just lacking some time), where only the graphics would be lacking a little bit. I could also need a tracer for items...
gekiganwing wrote:Also, make sure to back up your data!
There would be five versions flying around here somewhere :) Somehow this feels like you're asking me to save before I close the editor xD

Also: These e-Mail notifications are great :D