Witch Apprentice (Oct 31st update: Demo up on page 3)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

Re: Witch Apprentice (Oct 31st update: Demo up on page 3)

#46 Post by Anna »

Yay 7-zip worked indeed! :3

Wow the soundtrack was awesome. Wow the art was great. Wow the characters were weird and interesting. I only thought that maybe there were a bit too many black backgrounds, but other than that... I'll just be waiting here for the full release~

edit: also yay for new zip
redeyesblackpanda wrote:Ah, I see. It seems that I screwed up with the zipping. (That's what I get for playing around too much with 7zip when zipping other things...)
I think this here might work a bit better.

izukwon
Regular
Projects: Saundersi: Level 7

#47 Post by izukwon »

Yay, a demo! I have 7-zip so I won't have trouble opening it, right? BTW, could you please check your e-mail, Razz?

Iarumas
Regular
Completed: Death Rule: Fear Complex -Standalone Edition- | Death Rule: lost code
Projects: Death Rule Series (MESI Games)
Organization: MESI Games

#48 Post by Iarumas »

The second download link seems to work fine. I was able to unpack the demo without an trouble; no error messages or the need to use 7-Zip. Thanks for the reupload. I'll be looking foward to the final release!

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#49 Post by Obscura »

Oh my--I'm not able to fully play this until later next month, but your art looks amazing and this seems like a really polished demo.

The music seems absolutely perfect too. Great job...really impressed!
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

WickedRaccoon
Veteran

#50 Post by WickedRaccoon »

^_^;; i just couldn't resist playing the demo.man,i LoLed so hard,especially with cassandra and panties.now i know what to expect when playing the full game.

magbie
Regular

#51 Post by magbie »

That was fun :D Panties was definitely a star of this show (though Cassandra tried to steal his spotlight ^^).
Can't wait to play the full game

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#52 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I feel I should mention this, just in case there were some misconceptions. This is a fantasy game with witches, so while it might relate to Halloween in some ways, it's not Halloween themed. It's more evergreen. This means that you can enjoy this whenever! :mrgreen:
(This was to no one in particular, it's just something that I think I might have failed to mention.)
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#53 Post by Blane Doyle »

I just finished the demo and I have to say that was definitely enjoyable. Not what I expected, but that is not a bad thing. I liked how it was a bit over the top but not so much that it was weird, and I really liked the characters we got to meet.

It goes without saying that the art is superb! (But are the ends of the red tie on Pantie's cape supposed to be uncolored or just black lines? That's the only thing art wise that looked weird).

I have a few awkward things that caught my eye technically , but as I know this is going to have a massive overhaul I don't know if I should bring them up. You probably know about them already so it might actually be a bit of a waste.

Overall, I enjoyed that! I am looking forward to the full game.

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#54 Post by Razz »

Blane Doyle wrote: I have a few awkward things that caught my eye technically , but as I know this is going to have a massive overhaul I don't know if I should bring them up. You probably know about them already so it might actually be a bit of a waste.
Nah, please bring them up! I don't want to overlook stuff in the final :P

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#55 Post by Blane Doyle »

Ok then... I'll list a couple things.

The main thing was that Servant's sprite appeared to jump a few pixels when changing from a mouth open to mouth closed expression. It was a very small jump but very noticeable to me.

The other thing was that when Servant, Cassandra, Panties, and Adri were all on screen it was exceptionally... cluttered looking? As Servant was standing behind Adri and there is only a see through black text box (at the moment) it looks very strange. I think it may be because, in perspective, Panties looks farther away and to me it would look better if Servant stood in front of him instead of behind Adri.

Also, on the map, is Cassandra's office not supposed to be on there? I'm just confused about that, I had the impression she would have a teleport spot to in front of her door. I don't know if this was on purpose or if it's just not coded yet or what.

That's really it. They're small things that I'm sure you already know about.

Razz
Veteran

#56 Post by Razz »

Thank for the feedback! :D Yeah i noticed the weird shifting thing during play, I tend to not notice that when doing the sprites since it's like a pixel of a shift, i'll fix it in the full. I might have downsized panties too much so i'll have to see and fix him in the perspective.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#57 Post by CheeryMoya »

Anna wrote:I only thought that maybe there were a bit too many black backgrounds
It's a demo, so maybe they have a few more backgrounds to do?

Anyway, here's some of my thoughts while playing:
  • Imagemapped main menu is a little wonky when you hover over Start, Load, etc.
  • Intro is rather lengthy, maybe something more creative can be done with it? NVL mode so there isn't so much clicking? IDK
  • Music's pretty great, props to Sam12
  • Typo spotted, "are at busy"?
  • Backgrounds don't quite mesh with the sprites, probably due to lack of outlines on the BGs
  • Occasional jump of pixels when expressions change
  • Maybe... make Panties a part of the stairwell background? Would that help anything?
  • Pretty infodump-y when it comes to explaining demon cats, though I have no idea how to fix it
Hm... I hope it'll be more polished by the time November 15 rolls around, but don't rush if it isn't your guys' best by then. I'll be sure to check out the final thing when it's done.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#58 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

CheeryMoya wrote:Imagemapped main menu is a little wonky when you hover over Start, Load, etc.
Ah, that thing. :lol:
Let's just say that it's entirely my fault. I threw together the hover layer myself from a few pieces that Razz made in photoshop, so it's pretty terrible.

We'll... see how things go. 8)
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Razz
Veteran

#59 Post by Razz »

CheeryMoya wrote:
Anna wrote:I only thought that maybe there were a bit too many black backgrounds
It's a demo, so maybe they have a few more backgrounds to do?

Anyway, here's some of my thoughts while playing:
  • Imagemapped main menu is a little wonky when you hover over Start, Load, etc.
  • Intro is rather lengthy, maybe something more creative can be done with it? NVL mode so there isn't so much clicking? IDK
  • Music's pretty great, props to Sam12
  • Typo spotted, "are at busy"?
  • Backgrounds don't quite mesh with the sprites, probably due to lack of outlines on the BGs
  • Occasional jump of pixels when expressions change
  • Maybe... make Panties a part of the stairwell background? Would that help anything?
  • Pretty infodump-y when it comes to explaining demon cats, though I have no idea how to fix it
Hm... I hope it'll be more polished by the time November 15 rolls around, but don't rush if it isn't your guys' best by then. I'll be sure to check out the final thing when it's done.
Thanks so much! Those are really really good points. I actually wanted to make panties a background figure but he got a bigger role, so he'd have to be in more scenes. Backgrounds are definitely a little rough since I did a whole new style for them (no lineart just color) doing it on top of my lineart would have meshed better but it would have taken me an awful amount of time. Dx

Cadenza
Regular
Projects: Ghost Memory

#60 Post by Cadenza »

I've been following this project for a while and got super excited when you released the demo, but after playing I felt a bit like it didn't match my expectations? I hope you don't mind me giving the demo a quick ""review"" of sorts, it's just been on my mind for a bit and I thought I might as well share it!

First of all, Adriana's sprite seems far more polished than Servant's and Cassandra's, and it began to throw me off after a while. I can't quite place what it is about it! Maybe it's the thickness/cleaness of the lines on Adriana's sprite? I'm not an artist, so.

I don't think there's a problem with Cassandra being.. well, Cassandra, and her character seems very fun! But, I think you could pull off the "this is the Pervert Witch" idea much better if you progressively revealed her perverted ways. The first hint being the fact that her lil' demon kitty buddy is named Panties! Most of Cassandra's lines felt a lot like .. forced self-indulgent fanservice, almost? I ended up skimming most of them because I thought it was a bit inappropriate for the situation seeing as we just met her. The whole thing about Panties' name felt similar, and I skimmed that too. I wouldn't be surprised if I missed out on actual plot information because the lines around it made me think it was pointless dialogue.

(I also got some squicky dubious consent vibes from the Servant/Cassandra relationship - are they actually sexually involved or is Cassandra just playing around? Is Servant okay with Cassandra flirting with them or do they just accept it as Part of the Job? Is Servant aware of the implications of Cassandra's flirting?)

I hope none of that sounded too presumptuous or rude, I really didn't mean it that way and I think this project shows a lot of promise overall! Rosalyn and Walpurga poking their heads in at the end of the demo was also very cute. ♥