The Lockdown of Shinisou Elementary [Halloween 2012]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Untramen

The Lockdown of Shinisou Elementary [Halloween 2012]

#1 Post by Untramen »

A short Kinetic Novel in time for Halloween! Just under 1.3K words, this shouldn't take you too long to read.
A normal day at Shinisou Elementary takes a sinister turn at the appearance of a stranger.
What does this man want?
The only clue we have is his cryptic statement: "I wonder what kind of performance this school has for me..."
Click image thumbnails to view larger.
ImageImageImage
Credits:
Original Concept: Untramen
Writing: CheeryMoya and Untramen
Character/CG Art: Untramen and friends
Backgrounds: http://masato.ciao.jp/ and http://xxcubexx.web.fc2.com/
Textboxes: OokamiKasumi
Music: Devil Soul Music and Kevin MacLeod
Fonts: Font Squirrel and y2blog (Download the Yandere font here)
Proofreading and Beta-testing: TwinTurtle Games

If you receive a notification from your web browser or antivirus program that says this game is a virus, it's not! The only reason is because it's "not commonly downloaded." Trust me, I hate viruses and malware as much as the next guy, and I'm not putting any viruses in my work.
Last edited by Untramen on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

Re: The Lockdown of Shinisou Elementary [Halloween 2012]

#2 Post by Crocosquirrel »

I'll have a look when DropBox comes back up, but it looks like you went for scary here, and that's not a bad thing.

But then, I remember your last release...
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#3 Post by leon »

I had no problem downloading it. Maybe Dropbox disabled it temporarily, because you had too many downloads in a short time.

Congrats on another release. It's a very nice, short story.
What's wrong with this school, starting alarms like that? It's Halloween - a lot weirder stuff could happen... :D
Great work on the sprites.
Maybe you should downsize the girl sprite. She looks bigger than her father.
The font is *very* hard on the eyes (even for a short story I don't want to strain my eyes). I would suggest using bolding and using a shadow / outline.

I added these lines to make the text more readable. Thanks for including the code. :D

Code: Select all

style.default.bold = True
    style.default.drop_shadow = [(1, 1)]
    style.default.drop_shadow_color = "#F9F7ED"
    style.default.size = 28
This messed up some other text too, but it worked as a quick solution.

Untramen

#4 Post by Untramen »

DarkSpartan wrote:I'll have a look when DropBox comes back up, but it looks like you went for scary here, and that's not a bad thing.

But then, I remember your last release...
The fact people still remember me "fondly" for my last release still makes me smile. Did I gain some sort of infamy here?

I'm a concept writer at heart so I'm pretty much the worst at executing things. Most of the work was done by the lovely Twin Turtle Games for their coding expertise, I myself really didn't do much for the game besides the base story and parts of the script.
The spritework was done by a friend of mine, but a few problems with sizing and the type of file (.jpg is not good at all for this wow) did halt this game's process for a while, as she only drew me one expression for each before somewhat disappearing into the ether. When I finally did get a hold of her it turns out she never did actually save the .psd files she used to draw them. Ouch. I had to edit the spritework very quickly to get the game done.

I got a private message saying that the game prompts up some anitivirus warning, and I actually have no clue why it does that. The only reasoning is because it's "not commonly downloaded" which makes perfect sense seeing that I just released it. But trust me I hate viruses and malware as much as the next guy, I'm not putting any viruses in my work. Bad crash codes and plot twists, maybe, not not malware. Just click ignore for it.

Thank you for any comments, it's well appreciated.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#5 Post by sake-bento »

Untramen wrote: I got a private message saying that the game prompts up some anitivirus warning, and I actually have no clue why it does that. The only reasoning is because it's "not commonly downloaded" which makes perfect sense seeing that I just released it. But trust me I hate viruses and malware as much as the next guy, I'm not putting any viruses in my work. Bad crash codes and plot twists, maybe, not not malware. Just click ignore for it.
That happens a lot with Norton. Since it's a new file with few downloads, it gets flagged as a potential threat, as those are both markers of a virus. And also a brand new indie game...

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest

#6 Post by leon »

Some antivirus apps report false positives quite often. If you get a lot of reports and want to reassure paranoid worried people, that the file is safe, you can upload the file to a multi-engine virus scanner site like http://virscan.org/ and link to the scan results (or screenshot them).

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by CheeryMoya »

Uploaded Version 1.1 to http://download.vnovel.com/ and stuff! It's about time, IDK how long DB could take it >_>

Version 1.1 of this game fixes several things.
  • Nicer font for easy reading
  • Adjusted the sizes of sprites
  • Fixes typos
  • More credits (woohoo)
  • Other stuff I forgot about but it's all good
Grab it here! We hope you enjoy the game :3

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#8 Post by OokamiKasumi »

CheeryMoya wrote:Uploaded Version 1.1 to http://download.vnovel.com/ and stuff! It's about time, IDK how long DB could take it >_>

Grab it here! We hope you enjoy the game :3
I can't seem to download your game. It stalls on 2mb. (I've tried 4 times now. ) *pout*
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by CheeryMoya »

OokamiKasumi wrote:I can't seem to download your game. It stalls on 2mb. (I've tried 4 times now. ) *pout*
I made sure that the download worked the day I uploaded it, so maybe the server's overloaded by the demand? That or the file hosting is screwing up again :C If push comes to shove I could upload it on the TTG website... but I'll see if I can figure out what's up (again). I really just don't want to deal with MediaFire and all the ads :/

Edit: Well, here's another Dropbox mirror. Don't want to have to keep relying on this though...

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by leon »

We've set up a mirror for http://download.vnovel.com on a different host in case of server overload and other issues - http://dl.vnovel.com/The_Lockdown_of_Sh ... .1-all.zip