Critique Requested Once Again.

Art threads specific to a single artist.
AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

Critique Requested Once Again.

#1 Post by AshenhartKrie »

So, I was reading Crimson Spell, and my brain said to me. "You know we haven't drawn in a while? Asrain."
Asrain is a male demon prince who tends to be grumpy all the time, so I drew him in a rage and a very annoyed chibi. I took Sharm's advice to heart and drew with guidelines, and I must say it looks much better, but I still think there is room to be improved.
So, anything you can add to help me draw even better? Oh, and sorry for the crappy quality.
Oh, and the clip things in his chibi hair is actually his hair. It just goes everywhere when he gets mad.
Attachments
PICT0298.JPG
PICT0296.JPG

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

Re: Critique Requested Once Again.

#2 Post by dramspringfeald »

Yeah.... um read my "How to draws" in my Sig... then come back. I don't mean to be rude, but you need a lot of work... and I don't want to hurt you or your feelings.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

AshenhartKrie
Veteran

#3 Post by AshenhartKrie »

Err, considering I've read thousands, and I watch Mark Crilley's tutorials reguarly... it probably won't help much.
Actual pointers of where I've made an anatomy mistake or something similar would probably be more appreciated. But thanks~

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#4 Post by dramspringfeald »

AshenhartKrie wrote:Err, considering I've read thousands, and I watch Mark Crilley's tutorials reguarly... it probably won't help much.
Actual pointers of where I've made an anatomy mistake or something similar would probably be more appreciated. But thanks~
...Okay here we go then!

For picture 1
You need work on your anatomy. (Mark has about 6 tutorials and Stan I think has 2 for chibi's alone) Using your resources for more then background music is a good Idea. Just cause because you've "Read all the books" means nothing if you don't utilize it. Reread them again and try drawing from their examples.

Chibis except for the head are proportional to themselves. the simple 3 head rule will work here. Chibis have no bones and thus no elbows... it makes them look like deformed midgets. The arms, legs and neck (If you have one) should be about the same thickness. which is about 1/4 or 1/3 to their head but that can very by style and character design.

Next Hair placement. Unless there is a legit reason for the hair to be hanging over the sholder like that, such as the character likes being or IS blinded in that eye, then don't do it to your chibi. It looks bad.

the Tats on your chibi should be as simple as possible maybe the basic shape or the core that's up to you. Remember Chibis are Simplified "Cute" versions of an anime/comic character... which in of themselves are simpler versions of human as we see them. That leads me to...

Picture 2 -

Before learning to draw anime Take up learning human Anatomy. Thinks like Bone structure and Muscle placement is every bit as useful as learning how to dress them. Pose Maniacs is a good place to start as the Pirate bay Medical Books Collection *cuase many of us don't have $1000's of dollars for medical books. Learn to draw the muscles individually.

Learn to add weights to your artwork. Hair unless in a gravity free area or attacked from the 80's really doesn't move like that. http://www.ukhairdressers.com/

Learn Eye placement location and structure. Again Both Mark and Stan have varied ways of doing this but drawing a true to life skull is more effective. http://www.nature.com/eye/index.html

Go back to your medical Book and Learn how the muscles hang on the face. This will help with placement and "Teeth" http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-3439123 ... ndons.html

AFTER you've gone back and learned some of this try this drawing again.

Now Remember Just because you watched something does not mean you practiced it or even learned it.

*Now I do allow a percentage of errors for style cause I don't think lucky star would be as good if it was rendered in say Black Lagoons Style even if Konata would like otherwise.

Still the point is Work on your Core skills before expanding into the "Other" stretches of the medium. It makes your work look better and Other see you more as a professional.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#5 Post by Obscura »

I didn't have a problem with these drawings--I thought they were fine!

The chibi, I think needs a thinner left arm to match the right arm. The fist is also too club like, it should be smaller.

The lower drawing also looks fine proportionally to me, but I think the mouth should be drawn so a line connects the whole thing. (It looks like there are two pieces to the mouth, unconnected?)

Take my critique with a couple of grains of salt though...I have lots of proportion problems myself.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

100puro
Regular
Projects: Driftwood, FatexHeart

#6 Post by 100puro »

Chibis have big heads but their bodies still follow basic proportion. Like the torso shouldn't be longer than the legs in this picture. As you may notice i made the legs longer on him. Other things also follow, like your elbows at the rib cage area and your hands ending at upper thigh. Also since his head is slightly turned to the right, a bit of the hair should be showing like i've written on the picture.

There were also other things like the feet being completely bent to the side . You should try it, it isn't comfortable unless you practice ballet. Feet naturally point straight out and I drew the feet so that it'll be more diagonal are more natural. The chibi face is also round and I think the face is a bit too narrowed in this picture. The right hand was also missing some palm and I couldn't tell the pink from the thumb so a possible example hand for you to imagine it easier (hopefully).

For the second picture I just drew some guidelines for the face and restructured the body a little. The neck should start further back in since he is turned to the side. Necks are not straight, but angle back a bit. Collar bones extend all the way to the shoulder joint and is a bit lower. You seem to want to make him broad shoulder and muscular but there isn't much muscle definition and his arm seems thin so I thickened it some. And hopefully with the guidelines on the face you will be able to fix the balance of the facial features.

Hopefully this helped! Good luck!

----edit-----
d'oh I forgot to attach the images
Attachments
guidelines.jpg
ashenhartkrie.jpg
::Currently looking for work! <3::
Doing sprites, cg's, and chibis. PM me if interested!

AshenhartKrie
Veteran

#7 Post by AshenhartKrie »

dramspringfeald wrote:
AshenhartKrie wrote:Err, considering I've read thousands, and I watch Mark Crilley's tutorials reguarly... it probably won't help much.
...Okay here we go then!

For picture 1
You need work on your anatomy. (Mark has about 6 tutorials and Stan I think has 2 for chibi's alone) Using your resources for more then background music is a good Idea. Just cause because you've "Read all the books" means nothing if you don't utilize it. Reread them again and try drawing from their examples.

Chibis except for the head are proportional to themselves. the simple 3 head rule will work here. Chibis have no bones and thus no elbows... it makes them look like deformed midgets. The arms, legs and neck (If you have one) should be about the same thickness. which is about 1/4 or 1/3 to their head but that can very by style and character design.

Next Hair placement. Unless there is a legit reason for the hair to be hanging over the sholder like that, such as the character likes being or IS blinded in that eye, then don't do it to your chibi. It looks bad.

the Tats on your chibi should be as simple as possible maybe the basic shape or the core that's up to you. Remember Chibis are Simplified "Cute" versions of an anime/comic character... which in of themselves are simpler versions of human as we see them. That leads me to...

Picture 2 -

Before learning to draw anime Take up learning human Anatomy. Thinks like Bone structure and Muscle placement is every bit as useful as learning how to dress them. Pose Maniacs is a good place to start as the Pirate bay Medical Books Collection *cuase many of us don't have $1000's of dollars for medical books. Learn to draw the muscles individually.

Learn to add weights to your artwork. Hair unless in a gravity free area or attacked from the 80's really doesn't move like that. http://www.ukhairdressers.com/

Learn Eye placement location and structure. Again Both Mark and Stan have varied ways of doing this but drawing a true to life skull is more effective. http://www.nature.com/eye/index.html

Go back to your medical Book and Learn how the muscles hang on the face. This will help with placement and "Teeth" http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-3439123 ... ndons.html

AFTER you've gone back and learned some of this try this drawing again.

Now Remember Just because you watched something does not mean you practiced it or even learned it.

*Now I do allow a percentage of errors for style cause I don't think lucky star would be as good if it was rendered in say Black Lagoons Style even if Konata would like otherwise.

Still the point is Work on your Core skills before expanding into the "Other" stretches of the medium. It makes your work look better and Other see you more as a professional.
Good thing mum has hundreds of them then! slowly dies inside
And it's true - although I try to draw while I'm watching or reading the tutorials, my brain can't really concentrate on two things at once... which probably leads to me drawing AFTERWARDS. I guess I never thought of that. Stupid teenage brain

Thanks though everyone. I knew there was something wring with the chibi, but I couldn't quite work it out.
*hums happily*
Off to do some more practise now.

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#8 Post by Deji »

I made a little redline and redraw of your chibi. I hope it helps along with the other people's advices and critics you've been given already (:
Screen Shot 2012-11-03 at 7.17.44 PM.png
You should always sketch the structure of the body first and only then draw the details; that way you'll make sure everything is in proportion and works the way it should! (:

And for chibis, good references are actually chibi dolls, like Petit Nedroids :P

Keep practicing with posemaniacs if you can and draw many, *many* naked people mannequins/dolls! It helps you *tons* with how the human body works and how it moves, trust me :)
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

AshenhartKrie
Veteran

#9 Post by AshenhartKrie »

Deji wrote:I made a little redline and redraw of your chibi. I hope it helps along with the other people's advices and critics you've been given already (:
Screen Shot 2012-11-03 at 7.17.44 PM.png
You should always sketch the structure of the body first and only then draw the details; that way you'll make sure everything is in proportion and works the way it should! (:

And for chibis, good references are actually chibi dolls, like Petit Nedroids :P

Keep practicing with posemaniacs if you can and draw many, *many* naked people mannequins/dolls! It helps you *tons* with how the human body works and how it moves, trust me :)
chibi dolls are creepy lol.
I now have a new artbook. Full of nothing but basic human shaps. ^__^
Thanks again~

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

AshenhartKrie
Veteran

#10 Post by AshenhartKrie »

Well, I've been drawing more, to pracitise. I don't have any of the same guy I uploaded at the start, but what do you think? The first guy is a character of mine named Ivan. I'm terrible at colouring OTL, and the other one is Luka from Betrayal Knows My Name (why am I even mentioning that??). I don't have any anatomy pictures on my laptop YET, but I do have pictures of them at home that I'm thinking about uploading for critique. So, thanks in advance.
Attachments
PB220075.JPG
PB220078.JPG

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#11 Post by SundownKid »

The first one seems somewhat better, but the face is still too long in proportion to the body (and not round enough). The chin of the second character is way too triangular with ridiculously high cheekbones, it seems that you never sketched out the shape of the face before continuing on to add the rest of the features. In general, male characters tend to have less triangular chins than female characters. I would also suggest making a general sketch of the face's shape before doing the lineart. It should generally be an oval shape with the features such as a chin and cheekbones added onto it.

AshenhartKrie
Veteran

#12 Post by AshenhartKrie »

SundownKid wrote:The first one seems somewhat better, but the face is still too long in proportion to the body (and not round enough). The chin of the second character is way too triangular with ridiculously high cheekbones, it seems that you never sketched out the shape of the face before continuing on to add the rest of the features. In general, male characters tend to have less triangular chins than female characters. I would also suggest making a general sketch of the face's shape before doing the lineart. It should generally be an oval shape with the features such as a chin and cheekbones added onto it.
I knew there was something wrong with the way I had drawn the faces, but I really couldn't place it. I always tend to draw guys with pointy chins... they just look weird to me when it's a little bit squared off. Thanks for the feedback~

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

AshenhartKrie
Veteran

#13 Post by AshenhartKrie »

So this guy was originally drawn on the back of my math exam becuase I finished early and I was bored. I'm still not fabulous at digital colouring, but I'm practising and I think I'm getting better.
One eye is slightly bigger than the other, but there's something else I can't quite put my finger on. Anyone else know what it might be?
*mentally kicking herself because she forgot about the little white lines on his earrings.* OTL
Soo yeah...
Attachments
Dylain.JPG

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

Paul Mesken

#14 Post by Paul Mesken »

AshenhartKrie wrote:but there's something else I can't quite put my finger on.
Well, there are a couple of issues with anatomy and a bit with the folds but the main thing is this :

put your hand in the pocket of your sweater and look what your arm is doing. The elbow isn't swung outwards like you've drawn it. It's slightly pointing to the back along the side of the body and the lower part of the arm swings gently to the front to rest the hand in the pocket.

The way you've drawn the arm is as if the hand is resting on the hip (then the elbow will swing outwards).

Sure, it's possible to have your hand in the pocket of your sweater AND have your elbow swung outwards but it's not a relaxed posture and that's why it looks a bit "off".

Also, for the other arm, you have placed the elbow pit in such a place that the palm of his hand must be facing us. When the arm is hanging relaxed then the palms face the side of the legs.

TakeOverWorld
Regular

#15 Post by TakeOverWorld »

As well as that, the left side of the head looks flatter than the right side, and the jaw isn't even. Um, like if you imagine him without the hair, there'd be this strange empty space. I don't know how to describe it, -_- sorry, I hope you know what I mean.