Frozen Essence: V.2 uploaded

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
destiny_921
Regular
Completed: Closure [KN]
Projects: The Universal Hope (writer, WIP)

Re: Frozen Essence: V.2 uploaded

#346 Post by destiny_921 »

I created an account just to review...

Imeanwhat.

Anyway.

You did a really, really good job with this game. The characters are quite nicely done, though there's still room for improvement (sprite-wise cause some of the positions looked a tad awkward). But the overall development and different personalities you gave them are good and mostly different than some in the other VNs I've played.

The BGs are quite nice, though they could have probably be more realistic because to me, I think, a visual novel should be able to enchant people and draw them into its world. Be the character, live as the character, and so on forth. You're quite close, cause I could almost feel like I was Mina while playing the game, so kudos to you for that! Just a bit more, and I think you'd have it.

Music-wise, it's very fitting. The sound effects Ilaughedsohardatthesmackingsounds were satisfactory.

The plot is especially very well done. It's not your typical cliché plot (which is impressive). You made the heroine vulnerable, but still powerful (literally and figuratively) in her own way. And the twists you gave to each path were amazingly done.

I'm very picky about plots and storylines (almost to the point of extreme) because being a writer myself, reader of more than thousands of stories (no seriously), watcher of hundreds of shows and movies it's very easy for me to determine if the plot is too overdone or predictable or whatsoever. However, I found myself pleasantly surprised with this game with the outcomes of the choices I made. Mind, I have nothing against cliché's but sometimes it's just really dull though I don't mind them once in a while.

And the cut-scenes? Love them.

My thoughts about characters are below (in no specific order). Used the spoiler tag just in case....
Caius - Earth Path
Well, I don't want to take up too much space, so I'll make it as short as possible. Personally, I think Caius is like a demonic protagonist (reminds me of Hiruma from Eyeshield 21 a bit). He's like a mixture of Sai and Hidan from Naruto. A sadist with a penchant for violence, yet in strangely vulnerable and uneducated in other aspects. (Poor guy.) The festival scene was so cute. Ahem. His endings (both) were nicely done ^_^

Runne - Life Path
On one hand, his laid-back/serious attitude is engaging. On the other hand, sometimes I feel like face-palming or just sighing at his overprotective-ness and stubbornness. Though, once you get under his skin, he's rather quite sweet. That scene nearing the end when they touched hands was so worth it. And the True Ending was just... curse those onions....

Varian - Fire Path
I swear, he's like one of the most complicated characters ever. But.....interesting. A very different take on the average stereotype, so kudos for that. Grim, determined - but lost - and extremely righteous. When Varian was sitting on the other side of the door and Mina on the other - that was just heart-wrenching. A workaholic, but...Mina brings the best outta him so that's solved >.>

Aurelius - Wind/Air Path
Egoistical womanizer *cough* with charisma and an intriguing background. His scenes are quite endearing in a way - loved the snowball scene hehe. Personality-wise? His ego's large (thank goodness for Cascade and Mina *cough*), doesn't really fully listen to people but he makes it up by being charming and sweet to boot as well as the determination to find out the truth before judging people unlike certain characters. Stupid Oryon... I sorta wished the light ending was done a bit differently and that he interacted and developed a more 'official-like' relationship with Mina as it was a bit too 'open' for me unlike the other endings. But still, very nicely done. He went so out of his way to save Mina. D'aw.

Secret Character
I really, really didn't expect it to be you-know-who. And no, I'm not talking about Voldemort. Really. This came as a surprise to me. But the scenes and all, and the way Mina's thoughts went and everything else fitted nicely. Everything made sense. I sympathized with the guy >.> His ending is very well done. Loved the interactions and the background story. Vitus, why you so stubborn and no listen to this person? Very good job.
Overall: 4/5

I look forward to your future projects :)

michi 18
Veteran
Completed: none at the moment's notice
Projects: The Universal Hope;Wisdom Revival
Organization: Pridal Heavens Inc.

#347 Post by michi 18 »

destiny_921 wrote:I created an account just to review...

Imeanwhat.

Anyway.

You did a really, really good job with this game. The characters are quite nicely done, though there's still room for improvement (sprite-wise cause some of the positions looked a tad awkward). But the overall development and different personalities you gave them are good and mostly different than some in the other VNs I've played.

The BGs are quite nice, though they could have probably be more realistic because to me, I think, a visual novel should be able to enchant people and draw them into its world. Be the character, live as the character, and so on forth. You're quite close, cause I could almost feel like I was Mina while playing the game, so kudos to you for that! Just a bit more, and I think you'd have it.

Music-wise, it's very fitting. The sound effects Ilaughedsohardatthesmackingsounds were satisfactory.

The plot is especially very well done. It's not your typical cliché plot (which is impressive). You made the heroine vulnerable, but still powerful (literally and figuratively) in her own way. And the twists you gave to each path were amazingly done.

I'm very picky about plots and storylines (almost to the point of extreme) because being a writer myself, reader of more than thousands of stories (no seriously), watcher of hundreds of shows and movies it's very easy for me to determine if the plot is too overdone or predictable or whatsoever. However, I found myself pleasantly surprised with this game with the outcomes of the choices I made. Mind, I have nothing against cliché's but sometimes it's just really dull though I don't mind them once in a while.

And the cut-scenes? Love them.

My thoughts about characters are below (in no specific order). Used the spoiler tag just in case....
Caius - Earth Path
Well, I don't want to take up too much space, so I'll make it as short as possible. Personally, I think Caius is like a demonic protagonist (reminds me of Hiruma from Eyeshield 21 a bit). He's like a mixture of Sai and Hidan from Naruto. A sadist with a penchant for violence, yet in strangely vulnerable and uneducated in other aspects. (Poor guy.) The festival scene was so cute. Ahem. His endings (both) were nicely done ^_^

Runne - Life Path
On one hand, his laid-back/serious attitude is engaging. On the other hand, sometimes I feel like face-palming or just sighing at his overprotective-ness and stubbornness. Though, once you get under his skin, he's rather quite sweet. That scene nearing the end when they touched hands was so worth it. And the True Ending was just... curse those onions....

Varian - Fire Path
I swear, he's like one of the most complicated characters ever. But.....interesting. A very different take on the average stereotype, so kudos for that. Grim, determined - but lost - and extremely righteous. When Varian was sitting on the other side of the door and Mina on the other - that was just heart-wrenching. A workaholic, but...Mina brings the best outta him so that's solved >.>

Aurelius - Wind/Air Path
Egoistical womanizer *cough* with charisma and an intriguing background. His scenes are quite endearing in a way - loved the snowball scene hehe. Personality-wise? His ego's large (thank goodness for Cascade and Mina *cough*), doesn't really fully listen to people but he makes it up by being charming and sweet to boot as well as the determination to find out the truth before judging people unlike certain characters. Stupid Oryon... I sorta wished the light ending was done a bit differently and that he interacted and developed a more 'official-like' relationship with Mina as it was a bit too 'open' for me unlike the other endings. But still, very nicely done. He went so out of his way to save Mina. D'aw.

Secret Character
I really, really didn't expect it to be you-know-who. And no, I'm not talking about Voldemort. Really. This came as a surprise to me. But the scenes and all, and the way Mina's thoughts went and everything else fitted nicely. Everything made sense. I sympathized with the guy >.> His ending is very well done. Loved the interactions and the background story. Vitus, why you so stubborn and no listen to this person? Very good job.
Overall: 4/5

I look forward to your future projects :)

MAn! This is a very good review! Especially the review about Caius.
Projects: (I hope you'll support them ) Wisdom Revivalhttp://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=16488 and Universal Hope (Uni-H)http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=16452.

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#348 Post by VenusEclipse »

Unfortunately, life has taken time away from uploading a new version (mostly grammar fixes) for Frozen Essence. During the time I wanted to fix things, editing took longer than usual and by then, my life got busier than the time I had to work on this VN. Sorry about leaving info all over and then forgetting to replace them.

@destiny_921
If you look at the backgrounds for Heartstring Bugs here.
If the background art was like that, will it help with your immersion if it's in this VN? Since you mention that backgrounds should be more realistic. My skills were sort of inferior back then so I couldn't make backgrounds that well.

Thanks everyone, for replaying, leaving your thoughts, and making an account just to review. =D

michi 18
Veteran

#349 Post by michi 18 »

VenusEclipse wrote:Unfortunately, life has taken time away from uploading a new version (mostly grammar fixes) for Frozen Essence. During the time I wanted to fix things, editing took longer than usual and by then, my life got busier than the time I had to work on this VN. Sorry about leaving info all over and then forgetting to replace them.

@destiny_921
If the background art was like that, will it help with your immersion if it's in this VN? Since you mention that backgrounds should be more realistic. My skills were sort of inferior back then so I couldn't make backgrounds that well.

Thanks everyone, for replaying, leaving your thoughts, and making an account just to review. =D
Are yo kidding me ? Your art is great!
Projects: (I hope you'll support them ) Wisdom Revivalhttp://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=16488 and Universal Hope (Uni-H)http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=16452.

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#350 Post by VenusEclipse »

I kid you not. Of course, everyone has room for improvement. xD
There's definitely some parts of art that may have ruined immersion for a lot of people, so I'm glad people do bring it up.

michi 18
Veteran

#351 Post by michi 18 »

point taken.

destiny_921
Regular

#352 Post by destiny_921 »

@michi 18: thank you!
VenusEclipse wrote:Unfortunately, life has taken time away from uploading a new version (mostly grammar fixes) for Frozen Essence. During the time I wanted to fix things, editing took longer than usual and by then, my life got busier than the time I had to work on this VN. Sorry about leaving info all over and then forgetting to replace them.

@destiny_921

@VenusEclipse: It looks extremely promising. Though, if I may, if you're planning to do seasons do be careful. I'd suggest you observe/research pictures of the seasons to give them a natural feel.

Anyhow, the BGs look great so far. Though I think the one with the table, door and window could use a bit more shadows. I'd suggest you take a look at how the shadows of the objects you're using in the VN look like in everyday life and then apply it to enhance the experience. Shadows have many different looks depending on the time of the day. Long, short, non-existent - so yeah. Don't worry - very good job :) Practice makes perfect. I'm looking forward to it!
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try”
– Dr. Seuss

::Completed:: Closure (KN)
::WIPs:: The Universal Hope

::Misc::
Writing Guide

michi 18
Veteran

#353 Post by michi 18 »

seems like you have a lot of experience destiny.
Anyhow, she's right VenusEclipse.Good Luck! Dont loose hope!

destiny_921
Regular

#354 Post by destiny_921 »

@michi 18 - Really? I don't think I am. Though, I did use to take art classes for a couple of years, and school also taught art as a mandatory subject for the entire primary school and the first three years of high school..but then again, I had good teachers and am sort of an art lover, so yeah. But I haven't much experience with digital art compared to the usual paint and all unfortunately. Maybe one day.

@VenusEclipse : Good luck and all the best :) Will be around for critique or anything if you need any :)
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try”
– Dr. Seuss

::Completed:: Closure (KN)
::WIPs:: The Universal Hope

::Misc::
Writing Guide

michi 18
Veteran

#355 Post by michi 18 »

destiny:Everyone is free to dream.

MJDAlleria
Regular

#356 Post by MJDAlleria »

mm... so far. I'm very impressed with this VN (story wise)
Though the part with the hundred of days and stuff seriously feels so unreal.

I really want to say something about all the paths but... Rune's path is bugging
me so much. I have only ONE freaking locked CG and I have no clue how to get
it. I played the game so many times to attempt to get it. Yet, I couldn't. What
am I doing wrong?
Attachments
what is that.png

✿ Usagi Totoro ✿

#357 Post by ✿ Usagi Totoro ✿ »

I LOVE YOU CREATOR OF FROZEN ESSENCE !

Rainbow Colors
Regular
Projects: Come Here Often?

#358 Post by Rainbow Colors »

This game was great, the sprites could use a little bit of improvement though. Oh, and I recommended this game to a friend but she couldn't download this because her IP was blocked for some unknown reason. Is there a mirror for this?

Minari Cipher
Regular
Projects: Seasons of Love, The Dare to Gamble, Halloween Otome (Beta Tester)

#359 Post by Minari Cipher »

This is the 1st VN I've played and I really love this the game. I even played it until
2 am
just to finish a path (don't remember what path it is) :mrgreen:. Well that's my determination in playing, if I like the game I will finish it playing even it takes me until morning :lol:. The characters was really awesome (I sum up all my comments here about the characters cause I'm too lazy to write :mrgreen: ). I have no complaints about the drawings, for me it's really nice and I'm not very good at drawing either. All in all great game. ^^,

Lire
Regular
Projects: Witch Hunt
Location: Anywhere this minds follows.. stops at Indonesia for now..

#360 Post by Lire »

Here's my light reviews. Very like this vn.. :D
http://scan-vn.blogspot.com/2013/06/frozen-essence.html
Not enough time..
Or i'm a genius in wasting time.. :lol: