The Host Holic [commercial] [slice of life] [sim] [otome]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
GreyLadyHelenaR
Regular

Re: The Host Holic [commercial] [slice of life] [sim] [otome

#46 Post by GreyLadyHelenaR »

redpandastudio wrote:Thanks for your support!

You actually did everything right. If you found the DVD, that is excellent and not easy to do (also optional)!

We tried to keep some of the endings open, so people could imagine what they wanted for themselves, but it ended up being confusing and people were like, "What did she do? I have to know!" The whole idea is that you are the teacher, so what happened and what you decided to do is up to you based on your own interests/ideals and personality, but a lot of people said that they just wanted to be told what happened. For the upgrade, we'll put in some choices and tell you what would likely have happened from our standpoint. The last thing that we wanted to do was write, "And you got married and lived happily ever after!" THE END

And yes, a lot of people asked for a shota option. I was really surprised because I saw on Zeiva's blog (I think) that people didn't want Shota interests in their games. We'll probably get this in for the BL version, but I'm really on the fence about it, because I'm worried people will be offended and send me lots of complaints. Maybe I can make it optional or something.

Thanks again!
Oh, I see. It's ok, I ended up liking the open ending. It's interesting, because there are tons of things the teacher could do and you get to imagine it all. It's like a whole new adventure. :)
There's gonna be a BL version!? *fangirling* I'll definitely buy it! *gives you a virtual hug* Thanks! :D

GreyLadyHelenaR
Regular

#47 Post by GreyLadyHelenaR »

jack_norton wrote:Doing that on a western VN might be quite risky IMHO and do more bad than good. I've been asked that a lot too, but I definitely don't want to add such features. I get already lots of complaints by the mainstream pubilc for Dora in Loren and she isn't even a romanceable character.
Why do people complain about Dora? She's a dwarf, for God's sake, she's supposed to be short!

redpandastudio
Regular
Completed: Curse of Slate Rock Manor, The Host Holic, Nowhere Safe 1 & 2
Projects: Harvest Festival: All Signs
Organization: VisualNovelGames.com

#48 Post by redpandastudio »

Mirage wrote:
redpandastudio wrote: And yes, a lot of people asked for a shota option. I was really surprised because I saw on Zeiva's blog (I think) that people didn't want Shota interests in their games.
Hey, don't blame that on me, I was basing my opinion on LSF survey of which majority said they hated shouta. :lol:
But the most popular character in X-note is Oure, which is shouta. So obviously there is a market for it. :D
LOL! Hilarious. Yeah, I remember a little better now.

redpandastudio
Regular

#49 Post by redpandastudio »

jack_norton wrote:Doing that on a western VN might be quite risky IMHO and do more bad than good. I've been asked that a lot too, but I definitely don't want to add such features. I get already lots of complaints by the mainstream pubilc for Dora in Loren and she isn't even a romanceable character.
Yeah, my content has gotten some push back already, and I don't really think that I pushed very much at all. I've been resisting the shota requests for months at this point. It just seems like an opt in may be a reasonable solution.

redpandastudio
Regular

#50 Post by redpandastudio »

Oh, I see. It's ok, I ended up liking the open ending. It's interesting, because there are tons of things the teacher could do and you get to imagine it all. It's like a whole new adventure. :)
There's gonna be a BL version!? *fangirling* I'll definitely buy it! *gives you a virtual hug* Thanks! :D
Yeah, I'm going to create multiple versions. If you bought the original, the BL version will be FREE!

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#51 Post by jack_norton »

GreyLadyHelenaR wrote:
Why do people complain about Dora? She's a dwarf, for God's sake, she's supposed to be short!
People complain about anything if they have a chance :D in this case, they said looks underage. The fact that the game is FANTASY, has Dragons and Magic, and as you said Dora looks like that because is a female dwarf, has no importance of course :mrgreen:
Anyway better be safe than sorry as they say.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Mirage
Veteran

#52 Post by Mirage »

Well, let's just say it depends with how you do it. X-note main character is only 14, so the shouta fits perfectly to her age group.
I tend to make character age at the range of 4. It can be 4 years older or 4 years younger, but nothing below 14, and I prefer the characters to be at least teenagers.
Last but not least, is how you portray the character. I don't have any risque scene in my games. No nudity, no shirtless/shower scene, no kisses (Instead I got complain why my games are so tame lol)

GreyLadyHelenaR
Regular

#53 Post by GreyLadyHelenaR »

redpandastudio wrote:Yeah, I'm going to create multiple versions. If you bought the original, the BL version will be FREE!
...I cannot tell you how many excited squeals I let out just now. I look forward to play the BL version! :)

GreyLadyHelenaR
Regular

#54 Post by GreyLadyHelenaR »

jack_norton wrote:People complain about anything if they have a chance :D in this case, they said looks underage. The fact that the game is FANTASY, has Dragons and Magic, and as you said Dora looks like that because is a female dwarf, has no importance of course :mrgreen:
Anyway better be safe than sorry as they say.
*facepalming* I weep for humanity.

redpandastudio
Regular

#55 Post by redpandastudio »

Maybe I can make the character 21 and have her/him date an 18 year old student. That may just be "shota" enough. Please feel free to reply if you want or don't want shotas. I'm interested to know what people think.

AxemRed
Veteran

#56 Post by AxemRed »

Shota means prepubescent boy. In my experience, 18 year-olds tend to not be prepubescent.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#57 Post by papillon »

AxemRed wrote:Shota means prepubescent boy. In my experience, 18 year-olds tend to not be prepubescent.
There are fans who use 'shota' simply to mean 'datable boy younger than the female protagonist' though. Terminology gets easily confused among players who don't speak the language. I'm seeing people in voltage letsplays referring to characters as "the shota" when they're... not really noticeably younger than any other options, but have slightly wider eyes and more energetic demeanors.

Taosym
Veteran
Projects: http://lupiesoft.com/
Organization: Lupiesoft

#58 Post by Taosym »

AxemRed wrote:Shota means prepubescent boy. In my experience, 18 year-olds tend to not be prepubescent.
Like loli, Shota can be a prepubescent character, or a character appears to to be young. It has more relation to appearance than age.

redpandastudio
Regular

#59 Post by redpandastudio »

Well, then I guess I'm going to have some "late bloomers" in my game.

DiamondRoseTears
Regular

#60 Post by DiamondRoseTears »

redpandastudio wrote:
DiamondRoseTears wrote:I'm trying out the demo right now, but I can't seem to find how to save??
Is there no save button on the demo or it doesn't have one anyway??
(or maybe I couldn't find it :/)
The game will ask you to save every night automatically. If you want to save earlier, you can save anytime that the menu is presented (after class, etc.).

Go to "Menu"
Then "Main Menu"
Then Save.

Click "Resume game" to resume.

Thanks for asking!
Oh right!!!
Thank you for answering!!

It is a realy nice game, at least the demo!! The graphics and the art is awesome!! And like that mystery it has!!
I'll surely think about buying it when I have enough pocket money :P

Good job!!
D. for: Diamond
R. for: Rose
T. for: Tears

That's what is going to happen if you make a rose made of diamond cry!!

My cover of Winter Blossom by Aoi Shouta (Ai Mikaze, Utapri)
Please listen <3

Co-writer ~ Seasons of Love