[RenPSP] PSP Ren'Py Clone | Recruitment Thread

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
weetabix
Completed: RenPSP Visual Novel Engine Clone
Projects: RenPSP, You'll Hear My Voice Someday
Organization: New Forte Visual Novel Works
Tumblr: weetabixsu
Github: weetabix-su
Soundcloud: deej-weetabix
itch: weetabix

[RenPSP] PSP Ren'Py Clone | Recruitment Thread

#1 Post by weetabix »

Hey everyone! You probably heard of the RenPSP Visual Novel Engine, a PSP Ren'Py Clone, which was introduced 2 years ago here at LSF. Since a few months ago, more recent development of the engine popped up in different forums and PSP homebrew sites, the more recent being the 0.3 version released by lolbot.

You're probably wondering who I am. I'm the guy responsible for co-developing the engine and "introducing" some of *your* games to the platform. The reason I'm here is because I'm quite short-handed with the project, firstly because I have a lot of released visual novel ports in my list, and second because there's only two of us (that being me and lolbot) working on the project.

So who am I looking for, exactly?
1. Engine Developers
Sure, RenPSP may seem complete, but it still has its many bugs and complications (considering that it runs inside a Lua Player EBOOT). I'm seeking for anyone with at least minimal experience in programming with Lua or any similar programming language. Background with PSP development is an advantage. Access to GitHub is mandatory.
2. Game Contributors
By far, most of my ports for the RenPSP format is simply stuff credited but with no proper permission from either the developers or the translators of the actual game. I am in need of people willing to let their content be the meat inside the behemoth. All games from all VN engines welcome. Add in as much special features as you want. Content optimization for the RenPSP format is an advantage (that means NO MP3s and NO pictures larger than 480x272).
3. Porters
I'll also need people to convert some content (like script, "pseudo-UI", and video data) from game contributors' content. Everyone is welcome, as long as you have an image editor and a text editor. Access to GitHub or FTP is an advantage, although negotiable.

If you have any comments/suggestions or if you want to assist in the development of the engine, reply to this thread or contact the project's e-mail (kraftwerk.renpsp@gmail.com) or Twitter (@Wtbx_RenPSP).

In addition, if you do hear of anything regarding a port of your work and would want to put it down, contact me via PM or e-mail (vovo27_miranemiko@yahoo.co.jp).

I'll be setting up some RenPSP-related threads in LSF as well, so stay tuned.
Last edited by weetabix on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AxemRed
Veteran

Re: [RenPSP] PSP Ren'Py Clone | Development & Recruitment Th

#2 Post by AxemRed »

So basically you've been illegally distributing derived works?

Taosym
Veteran
Projects: http://lupiesoft.com/
Organization: Lupiesoft

#3 Post by Taosym »

You are actually properly seeking approval, and consent and crediting the groups who's games you are porting, right?

Beyond that I think it's interesting to have multiple platforms like these for EVNs. And in the future I think PSPs, Tablets and Phones could be EVN platforms.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#4 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I think it's a combined dream for us to have an app that can be used to purchase (if it isn't free), download and play VNs created by this community. But... it seems an unlikely event.
Although what the OP talked about sounds interesting.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

weetabix

#5 Post by weetabix »

AxemRed wrote:So basically you've been illegally distributing derived works?
Yes, and no.

Firstly, thank you for noting that. Yes, they are illegally distributed because most of my ported games have no prior consent from their producers; some with sources gathered from pirate copies of actual games from multiple visual novel engines. I'm only using them as a means of proving the abilities of the engine, but I do have plans to pull them out.

Secondly, not all of them can be labeled as 'illegally distributed', most especially if the said work is not under certain terms and conditions (which put most of them under public domain). Other than that, I've stared asking consent from some of the producers whose games I have used for RenPSP.
Taosym wrote:You are actually properly seeking approval, and consent and crediting the groups who's games you are porting, right?
So far, I have consent from Ayu Sakata (for her short visual novel, Ripples) and Mugenjohncel (for his NaNoRenO 2012 entry, Marijuana: The Truth). In the meantime, I credit all the groups involved in the actual production of the games I port. I also added in my contact details so people may be able to reach me.

Anima
Veteran
Completed: Loren
Projects: PS2

#6 Post by Anima »

weetabix wrote: Secondly, not all of them can be labeled as 'illegally distributed', most especially if the said work is not under certain terms and conditions (which put most of them under public domain).
Actually if no license is specified the work is simply copyrighted. A work has to be specifically released into the public domain.
Avatar created with this deviation by Crysa
Currently working on:
  • Winterwolves "Planet Stronghold 2" - RPG Framework: Phase III

weetabix

#7 Post by weetabix »

Anima wrote:
weetabix wrote: Secondly, not all of them can be labeled as 'illegally distributed', most especially if the said work is not under certain terms and conditions (which put most of them under public domain).
Actually if no license is specified the work is simply copyrighted. A work has to be specifically released into the public domain.
Bollocks. I better get started with those e-mails!

weetabix

Re: [RenPSP] PSP Ren'Py Clone | Recruitment Thread

#8 Post by weetabix »

Excuse me. I'll just bump this thread. I just edited the rest of my original post to suit my purpose in the Recruitment board.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Lishy »

While I'm greatly a fan of PSP homebrew, playing Pokemon Card GB2 right now using Rin v1.32 as I type this post, I would still like to impose that you please do not port my VN without my permission, or any other work under the Doujin Circle "Black Lilium".

As a fan of PSP homebrew, you will of course have permission eventually. However, please do not port it until so. This is an imposition.

Thank you!
-

weetabix

#10 Post by weetabix »

Lishy wrote:While I'm greatly a fan of PSP homebrew, playing Pokemon Card GB2 right now using Rin v1.32 as I type this post, I would still like to impose that you please do not port my VN without my permission, or any other work under the Doujin Circle "Black Lilium".

As a fan of PSP homebrew, you will of course have permission eventually. However, please do not port it until so. This is an imposition.

Thank you!
Thanks for the reply. Don't worry, I'll notify you first! :)

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Lishy »

weetabix wrote:
Lishy wrote:While I'm greatly a fan of PSP homebrew, playing Pokemon Card GB2 right now using Rin v1.32 as I type this post, I would still like to impose that you please do not port my VN without my permission, or any other work under the Doujin Circle "Black Lilium".

Thank you!
Thanks for the reply. Don't worry, I'll notify you first! :)
Thank you for understanding. And don't worry, I will contact you!

It's just I put a lot of work into my VN, and as a fan of PSP homebrew, I want the VN-port to be the best it can be.
-