Q/A: Run Game.exe icon

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

Q/A: Run Game.exe icon

#1 Post by rioka »

How can we change it? And it is an ico file right?
Thanks! =)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

I was just about to post on this, but you beat me to it. (Literally.)

Right now, I have to rebuild the exe file to change the icon. It's not really a user-servicable part, unless you want to try building the exe yourself. (Which requires python 2.3, pygame, and py2exe installed.)

If you want me to rebuild the exe with a new icon, email me with 32x32 and 64x64 256 color icon images, and the name that you'd like the exe to have. It's actually really easy to do when I have those things.

PNG images work best. (Not just for this, but for most lossless image needs.)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

I hate windows.

#3 Post by PyTom »

Hm... I may have been mistaken. It may be that XP requires 48x48 icons, rather than 64x64. If someone who actually uses windows could clear this up, I'd appreciate it. I just use windows to play games, and to build and test Ren'Py.

Most Ren'Py game development actually takes place on Linux, but Python and Pygame provide enough abstraction that it's possible the games could run anywhere Python, Pygame, and SDL have been ported to. (Which, IIRC, includes some game consoles, but I'm not totally sure about this.)

Grey
Veteran

#4 Post by Grey »

For windows, desktop icon size is 32x32, and taskbar/menu bar icons are 16x16. I can't think of what icons are 48x48.

If you've got a program like Microangelo you can make an icon that contains all of these, else the single icon image is just scaled down (or up I guess).

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

I did a little searching, and it winds up that XP uses 48x48 icons in some cases. If you only supply a 32x32 icon, XP will scale it, but it looks kinda ugly.

Grey
Veteran

#6 Post by Grey »

I guess that would be thenew style start menu or one of the high visuability schemes, neither of which I use :roll:

If you supply only a 48x48 icon scaling to 16x16 would be uglier that just 32 to 16. Best to put 16, 32/48/both in the icon file really if the scaling doesn't look good.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#7 Post by PyTom »

I concur.

You really want to provide icons in all three sizes. 16, 32, 48.

Tage
Regular

#8 Post by Tage »

Mhrr... :shock: Which file(s) do I compile to get the "run_game.exe" file? I'm guessing it's the "run_game.py" or "build_exe.py" file, lol. Where do I edit which icon to use for the program? And I have another question regarding the icons...is there any way to edit the icon inside the window? Don't feel bad if you don't have good answers for these, lol. Great work! I'm definitely going to make a game with this. n.n

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#9 Post by PyTom »

Okay, for changing the icon of the exe, the reccomended procedure is for you to send me:

1) PNG files in 16x16, 32x32, and 48x48 sizes, such that they are transparent where you want your icon to be transparent.
2) The name of the exe file that you want to have.

I will build the exe and send it back to you.

Alternatively, if you want to do it yourself, the procedure is:

1) Ensure that you have python, pygame, and py2exe installed on your windows system.

2) Build the icon file prefix.ico, where prefix is the name of the exe file you want.

3) Run build_exe.py prefix. This will build prefix.exe.

Right now, there's no way to edit the icon that is used for the window. A future version of Ren'Py may have this feature.

#10 Post by Guest »

Alright, thanks! :D Yah, I wanted to build it myself. =) It's not that hard, just time consuming. And no problem about the window icon, I was just wondering. =D Later

Naraku

#11 Post by Naraku »

I dont know about windows XP, but windows ME will automaticly
supply a default icon to .exe files that dont have one.
For windows 95, 98, and ME the icon size is 32x32 with 16 bit color.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#12 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:Right now, I have to rebuild the exe file to change the icon. It's not really a user-servicable part, unless you want to try building the exe yourself. (Which requires python 2.3, pygame, and py2exe installed.)
Actually, i have just renamed the exe file and then used a proggie called ResourceHacker (opens exe files and can cange things inside) to change the icon (to a black square for starters). It seems to work.

#13 Post by Guest »

I dont have Windows 2000 yet, hopeing to get it for Christmas.
I have heard alot of bad things about Windows XP, is it as bad
as it is rumored to be? I heard that XP has system restore, from
my experince with Windows ME I consider system restore to be
a bad thing, it makes getting rid of computer viruses almost
imposible. :roll:

Tage
Regular

#14 Post by Tage »

I don't know what this has to do with the game icon(?), but as far as system restore preventing you from getting rid of viruses. That much is true if you restore to a point that had a virus, but it is really simple to get rid of your system restore point and make a new one after you get rid of the virus. Therefore, I assume it is not a problem anymore.

Having both operating systems...I can say that they don't make much difference to casual users -- except for styling the windows and stuff. It takes a little more effort to secure Windows XP, but after it's secure there's not much difference to me. I'm an above-average casual user, lol. So, if you're an advanced-expert user, then all my blabbering probably means nothing to you. Also, I can say I HATE SERVICE PACK 2 for Windows XP as far as what it has done to Internet Explorer. But if you use Mozilla or something, don't worry about it.

On a side note, just to keep this on topic, was getting an icon on the window too much to incorporate at the moment? And are there still plans to incorporate it in the future (no matter how far down the road that future may be, lol)?

Edit: I also hate Service Pack 2's stupid security program (actually, I should say service). I had to disable that service/program. I could not STAND it! It prompted me EVERY time I turned on my computer!
Last edited by Tage on Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#15 Post by PyTom »

Yes, it was/is planned...

I just forgot it. :-( Sorry about that.