Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising [Mecha][GxG][Fangame]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Graph
Veteran
Completed: Touhou Mecha Chap. 1
Projects: Touhou Mecha, Eastern Starlight Romance
Organization: Dai-Sukima Dan

Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising [Mecha][GxG][Fangame]

#1 Post by Graph »

Chireiden and Parsia, two territories deep within Gensokyo's underground, are at war. In order to turn the tide of the war, the hell raven Utsuho Reiuji travels to the Remains of Blazing Hell to attain the power of the sun god Yatagarasu. This power will allow her to use the AM Yatagarasu, a mecha with amazing power. However, the sun god isn't the only thing waiting at the Remains of Blazing Hell...
Touhou Mecha is a free-to-download fangame created by Dai-Sukima Dan, and a derivative work of Touhou Project by Team Shanghai Alice and ZUN. It's an alternate universe of the Touhou Project world with a pseudo-contemporary look, and the cast fights using mecha.

Touhou Mecha is a Kinetic Novel with short but visual-packed installments. It comes with some simple animation that is influenced by Muvluv Alternative, though I also take inspiration from Super Robot Taisen.

This topic is here in the WIP section to inform everyone of updates on the game. Comments and critiques on all game releases and preview material are welcome.
Release topics:
Chapter 1
Chapter 2

Current version: 2.0, which includes Chapters 1 and 2 and related extras.
Filesize: 87.1 MB
Length: ~2 hours for main story

Downloads
Additional game info
Preview videos and screenshots

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Staff

Story and Art……………………………….Graph
Music…………………………………………….OverCoat and FlameZero16
Programming……………………………….SleepKirby
Editing…………………………………………..Iced Fairy
Blog and forum webmaster………..Sigma

The RPY files from version 2.0 are attached here for the learning of the Ren'py community.
Attachments
Touhou Mecha rpy.zip
Touhou Mecha 2.0 RPY files
(162.92 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Last edited by Graph on Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:35 am, edited 6 times in total.

Graph
Veteran

Re: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising [Mecha][Fantasy]

#2 Post by Graph »

Been a while! I found the time to work on this again, and I've put up a new entry on the blog.

The short version:

We're switching from a 4:3 screen ratio to 16:9. There's a lot of backgrounds and CGs to pad, but thankfully my BG work hasn't been that detailed so I've made decent progress.

I did a rewrite of the first half of Chapter 1 based on feedback from LSF and elsewhere. Notably, a new battle scene has been added near the beginning! Hopefully it'll also be easier for folks reading it for the first time to follow. This rewrite is written and programmed, and I'm making new art for it.

Also updated to Ren'py 6.14.1, and will include some extra features, which will at least include the TM Database and a music room. Going to work towards a November or early December release for all this.

Graph
Veteran

#3 Post by Graph »

Hmm, so, I noticed that Levrex has been teaching the younguns' in this part of the forum using code examples from Touhou Mecha. How about if we make the code open-source? I'll have to ask SleepKirby of course, but I'm fairly sure he won't mind, seeing how he used to help out on that part of the forum when he had more free time.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#4 Post by Crocosquirrel »

It'll be interesting to see how this all comes together. Any chance of some sort of screenshot or other similar thing?
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#5 Post by Samu-kun »

You know, you can call me impatient if you want, but I would rather that you work on chapter 2 instead of fixing up chapter 1. I thought chapter 1 was more than good enough and I just want to see more gratuitous mecha goodness.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#6 Post by papillon »

From what I recall from things seen in this project earlier, I'm sure there are many code bits that would be eagerly pored over if you did open-source it.

Graph
Veteran

#7 Post by Graph »

An update on the Chapter 1 re-release:

Click to enlarge!
Image Image Image

The addition to Chapter 1 has been written and coded. I’ve also finished the new mecha sprites and CGs. That leaves us with this remaining work:

- A few more expression sets for the rewritten dialogue (for characters that were already in Chapter 1 before)
- Rework the code on the old part of Chapter 1 to work with the new 1024×576 resolution
- Program the Music Room and Hellcat Corner

What's Hellcat Corner, you ask? A little idea I came up with... with each Chapter release I'm planning to write a little skit in which we freely break the 4th wall and talk about the story and world of Touhou Mecha itself! I liked the feel of the "Teach me, Ciel-sensei" sections of Tsukihime, but since Touhou Mecha is linear we don't need any gameplay hints.

At this point, there are no plans for a CG gallery, since the VN has been kept to a fairly modest screen size to simply the task of animation. Instead, I’m thinking of uploading select CGs to my Deviantart account and possibly the DSD forums, depending on image size limitations. You may see them in up to twice the size of how they appear in the VN!

A first-half-of December release should be possible. See you all again soon!

Graph
Veteran

#8 Post by Graph »

A bit belated, but the Completed Works Touhou Mecha topic has been updated with the rewrite of Chapter 1, Touhou Mecha 1.5.

And today I have an update for Chapter 2! The dialogue scenes are mostly done with character sprites and backgrounds; just a couple of CGs to go. I've put up new screenshots on the blog. http://dsd.faceroll.net/?p=563

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#9 Post by Samu-kun »

Looks great. *thumbs up* You should release it soon.

Sol

#10 Post by Sol »

I agree, it sounds good, Graph, thanks to you and your team!

However, I have to say I would be even more glad if you could release good news about Eastern Starlight Romance... Yes, it's not the right place and time to write about this, and alright, I also already check it out on DSD forum, but you know, there's a legion of ESR fans all around. Even I became one of them after ESR...

In fact, there's no surprise... Perhaps there's a kind of real magic behind of imaginary worlds so well done, undoubtedly product of so hard work and talent, of course... But even considering all this, you, guys, made an delightful job on that game. Very well done so far!

Good luck on Touhou Mecha as well - the art is even better than before, the CGs are amazing, congrats!

Graph
Veteran

#11 Post by Graph »

An update! I've made solid progress on Chapter 2, and the character sprites, animation and sound effects are done. Most of what's left is mecha sprites and CGs, which are currently in TM as sketches. More details in the blog post!

Here's a couple of screenshots showing where I've made adjustments for Ren'py 6.15's additive blending, as well as Marisa's AM.

Image Image

Graph
Veteran

#12 Post by Graph »

Hello folks, we're now putting the finishing touches on Touhou Mecha Chapter 2. We're taking reader input for a couple of things now:

-Applications for beta testing of Chapter 2.

-Questions for the new Q&A section to be featured in the Extras section of Chapter 2. Yes, right in the VN! Ask about Touhou Mecha, or other stuff!

More details in the blog post.

Graph
Veteran

#13 Post by Graph »

Today, I have a little present for the more curious Ren'py devs.

I've attached the RPY files for Touhou Mecha 2.0. I cleaned up the image definitions a bit after the release, but it plays the same, other than a few lines of edited dialogue near the beginning of Chapter 2. I'm far from the most knowledgeable or efficient programmer on these forums, but it may give you some inspiration if you're looking for ideas. Also, some of the GUI is coded in straight Python thanks to SleepKirby, so if you're a fairly advanced programmer there's that as well.

- The filenames of the "gui" folder are pretty self-explanatory. Except atl_customize.rpy, maybe. It was an attempt to make the overall framerate a bit better in sections where the screen constantly scrolls, by reducing how often the background gets updated. I'm not sure if it was really necessary.

- The mecha sprite definitions are in animation.rpy, and other images are in main.rpy. I used a lot of LiveComposites so I could change the appearance of sprites in mid-flight, and also put additive blended layers on top of other layers. Most mecha sprites have an anchor point around where a projectile would hit if it's on target, for obvious reasons.

- You're free to use this code in your own projects. But write your own story! :wink:

Though the methods used for the ATL aren't always consistent, feel free to ask if you're curious about why it's coded that way, or how a certain scene from the VN was animated. Don't expect much asking about the GUI code though; I didn't write it!
Attachments
Touhou Mecha rpy.zip
Touhou Mecha 2.0 RPY files
(162.92 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

Graph
Veteran

Re: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising [Mecha][GxG][Fangame]

#14 Post by Graph »

As a heads-up, I'm going to start using the DSD Twitter account to post updates on Touhou Mecha, and hopefully Eastern Starlight Romance in the future.

Follow DSD!

On Twitter we'll have smaller, but more frequent updates on our projects. Major progress reports will still go on the blog and wherever else we feel like posting them.