F.I.N. [Modern|Fantasy|Crime] - Season 1 - Episode 1

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Jod
Regular
Projects: F.I.N.
Organization: JodCorp

F.I.N. [Modern|Fantasy|Crime] - Season 1 - Episode 1

#1 Post by Jod »

Check out my tumblr for my latest updates: http://unexpectedconsequences.tumblr.com/
Last updated: 05-04-2013

Added some thoughs on choices in games, and my game in particular!

-------------
Summary
A friendship is built up between a group of high-school delinquents and misfits, who form their own little school gang which quickly grows into a loosely organized criminal organization. Through their friendship they survive their inner struggles and find new meaning in life. However, the newfound friendship that gives their lives meaning is being manipulated from the shadows by a Demonic entity that has it's own reasons for bringing them together.

In episode 1 we follow Rin, the only daughter of what's left of her Yakuza family on her way to school and trying to deal with all the things a normal high-schooler has to deal with: her mother, the school bullies and fighting the new kid on the roof of her school.
-------------
Characters
F.I.N. follows a group of misfits as, one by one, they find each other and develop the kind of friendship that will never break. At least, that's the plan...
Rin
A beautiful girl, sixteen years of age. The daughter of a Yakuza clan-leader who has passed away five years ago in a bloody inner-family struggle. Due to constant ‘brainwashing’ by her mother she is fanatic about her family’s honour. She has become desensitized to violence by her father’s training, ‘practical examples’ and alcohol-fueled beatings. She still has some kind of stockholm syndrome about her father, however, refreshed by her mother’s constant admiration of her deceased husband.

She doesn’t give herself time to realize the way she dislikes the way she is right now. She has her family’s honour to uphold and duty always calls. At least, her mother always says so.

Sam
A tall girl, even for a half-blood American. Her father was a Marine stationed in Hawaii that came to Tokyo for the girls. At least, that’s what her mother tells her. She found out from a young age that looking different than everyone else could easily get you into trouble. She got teased mercilessly until she decided that if trouble was inevitable anyway, she might as well go looking for it herself. From that moment on, she easily found trouble whenever she went looking.

She doesn’t realize she started picking fights to get respect, to get recognized. Of course she got fear instead of respect, but she doesn’t know the difference yet. Sam somehow fears she will forever be the outcast, a despicable half-blood. The only place she feels halfway at home is the MMA-dojo, where she spends several hours every day.

Kazuko
The daughter of the Yakuza-clan that had a rivalry with Rin's father. She has her own little gang in the school. She pretty much rules it, it's teachers and it's students. She puts up a ruthless front, ruling through fear. What does she hide behind that ruthless front?

Rin’s mother
A proud, traditional woman that is living in the past. She remembers her husband's rise to power in the Yakuza in great detail and has shoved all her hope on Rin's teenage shoulders. Manipulative, ruthless and quite bitter, it's easy to see how she turned Rin into the ice queen she is today.

Storyteller
An ancient being that has been imprisoned in hell for a long, long time. When it seems that there is a chance for it to escape, it stops at nothing to break free from it's prison. He/she/it knows each of the friends’ feelings and emotions better than they do themselves.

-------------
Features

-------------
Screenshots

Image Image

-------------
Music preview

The game is made by Dragons + Lillies. I am extremely excited to have such a talented musician writing the music for F.I.N.! Check out some previews below!

Fighting scene
Epilogue
-------------
Artwork

ImageImage
-------------
Dialogue

A preview of the dialogue in Scene three of Episode one.
-------------

Progress

• Story - 100% completed (all scenes and alternative scenes described)
    Dialogue - 50% completed (5 out of 10 scenes finished)
    Art - 40% completed (placeholders completed)
    Music - 80% completed (1 song being mixed, 5 songs composed, 1 to be done)
    Coding - 80% completed (Ren’py functionality completed, minigame functionality completed, user interface not done yet)
-------------
Last edited by Jod on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:28 am, edited 13 times in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: F.I.N. [Modern|Fantasy|Crime] - Season 1 - Episode 1

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Back in the mid-90s, there was a slightly similar game called Fire Woman Matoi-gumi. According to a review on PCFX world, it featured quite a bit of gameplay and combat. Since it was never translated, and apparently had no sequels or adaptations, it's not well known.

Anyway, it sounds like your story is about the lives of three delinquent girls, and how they fight one or more demons. Your summary has quite a few useful details. When you have time, please let us know the following:

* The balance of slice-of-life and plot that you hope to achieve.
* Is there anything notable about your setting? Is it a particular town or region? Are the events happening during a specific year or season?
* The nature of the antagonist. What sort of demon(s) exist in your story? How do they threaten and challenge the characters?
Jod wrote: This visual novel will be episodical in nature. Both because I want to give myself clear goals and make the work to be done something that can be overseen and because I like the way seasons and episodes work.
I agree that creating episodes can be a useful way to structure your writing. (Much like having or choosing to create 22 minute TV episodes, 32 page comics, and so on.) But are you sure that you're ready to make an entire series? Creating just one visual novel requires quite a bit of time, dedication, and passion. Creating a four-part mini series might require two or four times as much work.

If you're willing to consider other options, then think about making a single VN that's divided into chapters. While it's possible to use persistent data in Ren'py to share information between multiple games, this design decision might make it easier to remember choices and variables.

Jod
Regular

#3 Post by Jod »

Thanks for you reply, I appreciate the time you put into it! To answer your questions:
* The balance of slice-of-life and plot that you hope to achieve.
Slice-of-life will follow plot. Most of the slice-of-life will be regarding the fragile nature of their friendships and the way the protagonists deal with their own mental problems. Plot takes the front seat here, though.

* Is there anything notable about your setting? Is it a particular town or region? Are the events happening during a specific year or season?
Not particularly. A medium- to large-sized Oriental town. It doesn't figure very prominently in the story, so these things will remain vague until there's a need to work them out. Good point regarding the season though, thanks!
* The nature of the antagonist. What sort of demon(s) exist in your story? How do they threaten and challenge the characters?
Hmm, perhaps calling him an antagonist is not quite right. But that's more some long-term stuff. The demons we're talking about are the biblical kind. They're inspired by 'To Reign in Hell' , 'Demon: the Fallen' and 'Armageddon'. They're not all that different from angels, in my story, just on the wrong side.
I agree that creating episodes can be a useful way to structure your writing. (Much like having or choosing to create 22 minute TV episodes, 32 page comics, and so on.) But are you sure that you're ready to make an entire series? Creating just one visual novel requires quite a bit of time, dedication, and passion. Creating a four-part mini series might require two or four times as much work.

If you're willing to consider other options, then think about making a single VN that's divided into chapters. While it's possible to use persistent data in Ren'py to share information between multiple games, this design decision might make it easier to remember choices and variables.
Thanks for the persistent data link! Very useful indeed!

As for the discussion regarding chapters versus episodes, I think it's a pretty moot point. I know the story I want to tell. Wether I tell it in one go and call the manageable chunks chapters or produce manageable chunks episodes, to me it makes no difference.

Of course, I haven't read through that page yet. But I'm of the opinion that if Ren'py doesn't offer the option itself, Python will. We'll just have to wait and see! :)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

Jod wrote:The demons we're talking about are the biblical kind. They're inspired by 'To Reign in Hell' , 'Demon: the Fallen' and 'Armageddon'. They're not all that different from angels, in my story, just on the wrong side.
An intelligent opponent is always the best kind. If your characters are faced with a supernatural creature who can tempt them and mess with their thoughts, that will be a challenge. "The Screwtape Letters" (which I read years ago) makes its demon protagonists seem thoughtful and deliberate.

While I'm not exactly sure what fictional work "Armageddon" you were referring to, it's probably safe to assume you weren't talking about the 1998 movie Armageddon. :lol:

Jod
Regular

#5 Post by Jod »

My favourite types of Demons are, indeed, thoughtful and not all that different from humans. Lucifer from Sandman was beautifully done.

The Armageddon I mean is the roleplaying game by CJ Carella. It's an interesting mish-mash of all mythologies. Also now I have a feeling I should homage Bruce Willis :).

Jod
Regular

Proof of concept - Fighting minigame

#6 Post by Jod »

Right, some progress to report. Most of these progress reports I keep on my tumblr, but because this might actually contain some things that are useful for others, I figured I'd post it here as well.

DISCLAIMER #1: This small 'blog-like' post is made so others can maybe learn from it, and I have somewhere to look back on while I'm working. I'm pretty sure the below is pretty damn easy for the more experienced amongst you, but at the very least you'll have something to laught about :).

The idea: A 'fighting' minigame, where the players describe the action they want to take, and the screen fills up comic-book style with the results of what they typed. Did they type the correct word for the situation, they will be winning the fight. If they type the wrong word, they'll start losing. Because each piece of player input will cause another picture to increase on the screen, in the end they player will have a cool overview, like a comic-book page, of the fight.

The typing bit is very much inspired by Typing of the dead, after I tossed some ideas around in my head and held them against the possibilities in the framework. The way I want the pictures to form a comic/manga page at the end of the fight has been inspired by Square's Imaginary range.

So what were the steps I took? First, some mock-ups so I can work with a visual example. For that I fished some Artwork from All-Rounder Meguru by Endo Hiroki.

DISCLAIMER #2: These images are obviously not mine. They're just used here as a mockup. Don't sue me, I have no money. If these need to be removed, I will of course remove them immediately when prompted by an admin. But since they're just used as examples without commercial intent, I'll consider this harmless.

So, I took these images:
all-rounder-meguru-3248149.jpg
all-rounder-meguru-3401691.jpg
All-Rounder_Meguru_V07_ch_61_14.png
And created what I'd want my end-result to be:
fighting_scene_master.png
This way I have the idea in my head on my screen, so it becomes a lot easier to work with. I didn't spend too much time on this, just some easy copy and pasting. Of course, if I do this for real there should be different frames for different outcomes, but for now we just have one possible outcome. All the real effort on art will come when I get an artist to work with. But that's a different story. For now, the proof-of-concept!

I split up the work I needed to do to make my proof-of-concept for this minigame into two parts: Text input & Picture framework.

Text input consisted of the following steps:
  • text input field
    remember input
    check input against list of possible words
The picture framework consisted of the following steps:
  • Showing comic-book style frames depending on input
    Effects
Text input

Now, we have to try to get this to work. Let's work on typed player input and receiving it in Ren'Py. This page describes what should work:

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... s/ui.input

But wait! There's also:

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... enpy.input

So which one should I use? I started looking at the dates: UI.input has last been changed on 7th of October, renpy.input on 29th of october. So I'll use ui.input. Is there a difference? Are both available? Who knows! Renpy.input seems easier. Let's see how that goes. Copy paste the lost into the code:

Code: Select all

$ name = renpy.input("What is your name?", "Joe User", length=20)
    "Pleased to meet you, %(name)s."
Which has the following result:
text_input_0.png
That works, but it sets the input in the 'text screen' or whatever it's called. Let's see what the other option does.It's a label, so I should probably just jump to it.

label prompt_for_name:

$ ui.text("Please enter your name:", xalign=0.5, yalign=0.4)
    $ ui.input('', xalign=0.5, yalign=0.5)
    $ player_input= ui.interact()
    if player_input== '':
        $ player_input= 'Guy Shy'    
Which has the following result:

That works more like I meant it to! I need to be able to put the text input on the screen where I want it (possible changing depending on where the fighting is going on). It means I can make it look like:
text_input_1.png
On a small tangent: this cost me way too much time, but... if you want to change the colour of the input text, add 'color="#000"' (for black) to the ui.input as a property. I am slowly getting the hang of Renpy, and looking back it looks so damn simple!

Finding this would've helped me a LOT: http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... Properties . Also, these properties are really useful if you want to be background-colour independent: drop_shadow=(1,1), drop_shadow_color='#000'.

Good, good. Now we need to build the system so different words are allowed are not.

The property 'allow' seems a good property. However, it will check from the first character of your input string. For example, allow='punch' would only allow the word 'punch'. So you'd try to type 'kick', nothing happen because k isn't p. If you'd start typing pudding, it'd allow 'pu', but nothing else. Not quite what I'm looking for. So the check will have to be after input.

Which is quite easy to do. Create a list:

$ list_words = ['punch', 'kick', 'stab']
And check if any of your input is in that list:

if player_input in list_words:
        $ player_input = 'Input was in the list'
Dead easy! To the next step, showing different frames! However, I've ran out of time, so this shall be updated later! Next part will include putting images on-screen depending on player input, as well as a short video of the end-result.

Until later!

Jod
Regular

#7 Post by Jod »

Right! I've been sick for a bit, but now it's back into action!

So, how do we show individual images? This seems rather useful:

http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/displaying_images.html

Just define the image, then show it at the correct location. Should be easy, right?

Not quite. The show command does allow us to use custom locations, by putting them in an init block, but that'd mean a _lot_ of init blocks. Somehow it doesn't seem worth the hassle. I'd like to use a show command with custom positions, without having to define the postion beforehand. Is that possible? Yes! This works:

show f_01 at Position(xpos=287, ypos=53, xanchor=0, yanchor=0)
Don't forget to put the xanchor=0 and xanchor=0 in there. They indicate that you start counting pixels at the top left of the screen. So the picture in this example is shown 287 pixes to the left and 53 pixels from the right of the top left corner. Leading to this:
Picture placement
Picture placement
Then it's a matter of creating some if and elif statements to see if the correct input is given. This took me some fidgetting around ('not' instead of !, 'and' instead of &&), but eventually worked out. Comparing it to Java, this actually makes more sense, it's more 'organic', if you will. At least, to a programming noob like me :). So far, lots of love for Python.

Then add some shine (vpunch, hpunch and some soundbites) and we have something that gives an idea of the direction I want to go in. Is there more to this? So very much, but for that I'll want an actual artist. For now, this shows the idea behind the minigame I want to include in my game. I hope you enjoy the video!

The video

Jod
Regular

#8 Post by Jod »

Right, there's been some progress, which can be found in the following tumblr posts here:

Tumblr post

Which resulted in some placeholder art. It's not for the final game, but it'll allow me to show the game with some coloured artwork which is good enough to get the idea across:

Rin:

Rin's mother:

Next stop, putting the dialogue and artwork that's finished so far into the game:

Tumblr post

Todo list for today:
  • Put all the content made last week into the game so I can send my writer and placeholder artist the result of their work.
    Finish fighting minigame design document and make the minigame modular for future (more complicated) use.
    Work on establishing the visual identity of the game. In other words: what should all the menus look like? What should the text-fields look like? Probably need to index what needs to be done, first….
    Update tumblr with the progress so far.
    Create a todo/idea list

Jod
Regular

#9 Post by Jod »

Right, so after a day of working on all the small things that pop up, I finally managed to get the text and artwork in for as far as it's finished for episode 1. In the end it was a lot of work just to get to know Ren'Py some more, to find out what works and what doesn't and to get the build to work! But I must say I am pleased. I did tons of things and my todo-list just grew bigger! Ah well, that's the way these things go, I guess.

So here are some screenshots from the work that's been done so far:
Screenshot from prologue.
Screenshot from prologue.
Screenshot from episode 1, Rin and her mother.
Screenshot from episode 1, Rin and her mother.
Doesn't look like much, but it's all the things around it that take all the time! :)

Jod
Regular

#10 Post by Jod »

Jod
Regular

#11 Post by Jod »

Okay, just a quick post with some cool resources:

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/

Free for commercial use fonts. Tons and tons of them. Going to have to sort through these when looking for fonts and hope they’re Ren’Py-compatible. They look good so far!

Makes me wonder though: what makes a good font? How do I decide to use what based on what reasoning?

http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/2007/0 ... f-painting

Some interesting colour pallettes. Thinking of stealing these when developing the visual identity for my user interface, something I’m actually sort of apprehensive of doing, it seems intimidating to get it all to ‘fit’.

Hah, that’s what she said! :D

Seriously though, it’s the same as with fonts: how do I decide on what colours to use based on more then just ‘it feels right’? An interesting question, which I’ll have to ponder some more later!

Also neat:

http://coolmaxhot.com/graphics/hex-color-palette.htm

(copied from tumblr: http://unexpectedconsequences.tumblr.co ... -interface)

Jod
Regular

#12 Post by Jod »

Right, bit of a list of stuff I wanted to do today:

Get Vpunch and Hpunch to work after player input
After the player 'punches' an opponent in the prologue, I want both audio and visual feedback on that action. Audio feedback was simple, just play a short punching noise. Video feedback gave me some headaches last time, but it was rather late and my brain was frizzled, so I worked on trying again.

Shouldn't be too hard, right? Well, I only get this to work when coupled with 'with', not just by themselves. This frustrated me to no end, but in the end I figured I was playing a sound after player input anyway, so I made this:

play sound "resources/soundfx/Upper Cut-SoundBible.com-1272257235.mp3"
Into this:

play sound "resources/soundfx/Upper Cut-SoundBible.com-1272257235.mp3"
        with vpunch
I still think it's odd I can't just get vpunch to work without a 'with' statement. Should I use it on the background or something? How do I 'just' use a transition without connecting it to an action or image? For now the problem's been solved, but I'm pretty sure I'll be coming back to this one.

Change text colours per character
In the end I didn't do this, it seemed like overkill. It's still possible, of course, but it just seems that changing the character names and adding character portraits is enough to make a clear distinctions between characters.

Change name colour per character
Easy! This is all handled in the tutorial and easy to find, so I'm not going to put a reference to code here. I did, however, spend some time on defining on what colour fits what character. I made short list of each character's traits, then tried figuring out which colour suited them. For that to make any sense, I must describe the characters first... so that's for late.

Add second ‘whosays’ window in dialogue
Dead easy!

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/FAQ ... y_speak.3F

Right up until you want to have the portrait image match the character image. So you need to make multiple character portraits and link them to each character image. Quite easy to work out!
screenshot_03.png

But then you want to have the portrait image when there's no character images. So that's more work!
screenshot_04.png
In the end all worked in one go, though. The only problem I had was with having the portraits reference the right image.

In the end: a very productive day with a lot of ToDo's done. I'm thinking more and more on working on the visual identity of my game: the user interface and colours... there's more to be done there!

Until next time!

Jod
Regular

#13 Post by Jod »

I had a very productive evening with Fenko (read: she did all the drawing and I occasionally said 'ooh, that's nice' or 'perhaps a lighter shade?') and there's two more characters placeholder art done! Let me share with you Sam and Kazuko:
A happy Sam. I love how she's tall and gangly.
A happy Sam. I love how she's tall and gangly.
Sam's the Gai-Jin girl that never fit in. Technically not Gai-Jin, but the blonde hair and tall stature are enough for people to pigeonhole her and not look twice. She's a brawler, going to her MMA-dojo regularly and kicking ass on a regular basis. Now if only she felt she was good at anything else...
You're supposed to be a side character! Stop being likeable!
You're supposed to be a side character! Stop being likeable!
Oh Kazuko, what am I going to do with you? You're supposed to be a side-character. A flat, 2-dimensional antagonist so Rin has someone to fight for control of the school she's in. A punky, rebellious, polar opposite of the seething ice-queen that is episode one's protagonist. Instead I'm starting to think you might show up more then was originally planned.

Jod
Regular

#14 Post by Jod »

(reposted from tumblr)

Right, so yesterday was productive, and so is today! Working out a system for the fighting minigame from scratch turns out to be more work-intensive then I thought. Sure, it’s possible and not bother with any sort of design, just see where I get to, right? Well, it’d certainly be easier in the short run! But, thinking about how you want a system to work and doing all the hard work now so you can easily re-use it later just makes a lot more sense.
flowchart
flowchart
Of course, re-using modules means a constant battle between customizeability and flexibility. For example: it’s pretty easy to make a system that loads a different set of variables at the beginning of each fight, but what if you want things to go slightly different each fight? In fight one I want to display three pictures, in fight two, I want to display eight. Or if I want to display a different amount of pictures on a different location depending on fight? I’m getting there, but the main challengs is not getting it to work, I managed that with the little demo I built earlier. The challenge lies in making things specific enough too make the interesting. I’m getting there, but not quite as quickly as I wanted. Ah well, step by step.

Meanwhile, I’ve had some damn interesting discussions regarding the overarching storyline with Adam, and received another scene’s worth of dialogue from him! Damn great! It’s interesting to see how sometimes things just ‘fall together’ without any apparent planning. However, the need to write story-archs becomes bigger and bigger, and the balance between getting episode 1 done versus investing in the future becomes a little bit harder to handle. No probems so far though, it’ll probably just take some time to write things down until it’s something discussable.

Jod
Regular

#15 Post by Jod »

The work on the game's music is going great! I already have a preview of the fighting scene music on my tumblr here

Tumblr post

And we're now working on the main theme, the opening track which will have vocals in it. I've heard a preliminary version of it and it is sounding awesome! As soon as I have something I'll post it here!