Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#2101 Post by MaiMai »

Weird, I love shirtless guys (although guys with tight pants, I would see as threatening in some weird, deep, scarring, psychological way) and I love muscular forms.

Now if only I could actually DRAW them.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#2102 Post by Obscura »

Deji wrote:I'm more like.... "Get away from meeeeee >^<!!!!" when it comes to that >:
I don't mind my boyfriend's nakedness or my friends in bathing suits, it's just those... guys in sexy attitudeS/clothes ON PURPOSE that I have a problem with >>;
Hahaha! How are you gonna fix my art, Deji?!? That's all I ever draw!
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#2103 Post by Deji »

Obscura wrote:
Deji wrote:I'm more like.... "Get away from meeeeee >^<!!!!" when it comes to that >:
I don't mind my boyfriend's nakedness or my friends in bathing suits, it's just those... guys in sexy attitudeS/clothes ON PURPOSE that I have a problem with >>;
I knooooooooow! x'D
For some reason your art doesn't bother me o_o I mean, you male sexy characters are super gay, so I don't feel threatened, lol. I sort of... "know" I'm not the intended recipient of their sexy-vibes x'D;
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#2104 Post by Anarchy »

Deji wrote:
Obscura wrote:
I knooooooooow! x'D
For some reason your art doesn't bother me o_o I mean, you male sexy characters are super gay, so I don't feel threatened, lol. I sort of... "know" I'm not the intended recipient of their sexy-vibes x'D;
I feel like this is precisely the reason that certain girls, especially younger ones, like BL so much (including me!). We get to enjoy sexy men without having to feel threatened by their sexuality, because it's all directed towards other men. Personal theory: the uke archetype, in a sense, serves as a psychological suit of armour of sorts - as girls, we can project ourselves into the uke's position and enjoy male sexuality without the stereotypical vulnerability and power imbalance that comes with being the female in a sexual situation.

It's unfortunate that society conditions us to think of male sexuality (especially heterosexual male sexuality) as aggressive and threatening and powerful, unless it's in the context of a marriage or romantic relationship, and sometimes not even then.

9-of-Hearts
Regular

#2105 Post by 9-of-Hearts »

I've never had a problem with sexiness, and shirtless guys and stuff, even as a heterosexual female. I'm not big on BL, unless I can see it's just a normal, my-kind-of-love-story with just a different gender dynamic.
I tend to roll my eyes at buff guys, and it confuses me when a heroine is so panicked because a guy takes off his shirt or something.
Is it just me?
I mean I have no problem at ALL appreciating the male body, but I'm not intimidated by sexuality almost ever. I guess I'm the odd one out?

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#2106 Post by Anarchy »

9-of-Hearts wrote:I've never had a problem with sexiness, and shirtless guys and stuff, even as a heterosexual female. I'm not big on BL, unless I can see it's just a normal, my-kind-of-love-story with just a different gender dynamic.
I tend to roll my eyes at buff guys, and it confuses me when a heroine is so panicked because a guy takes off his shirt or something.
Is it just me?
I mean I have no problem at ALL appreciating the male body, but I'm not intimidated by sexuality almost ever. I guess I'm the odd one out?
Oh no, I love sexy male bodies and seductive men too! They're incredibly hot. (I mean, just look at the guy in my avatar *drooool*) I was just trying to understand why BL holds such fascination for certain kinds of people. I was exclusively into BL when I was younger, but now that I'm older (and completely desensitized to all kinds of stuff thanks to the internet *cough* gurofutatentaclerape*cough*), I am totally into sexy men regardless of sexual orientation. I'm perfectly capable of finding more masculine, seductive, straight men sexy, because masculinity itself isn't all that threatening anymore. It's different when you're a 12-year-old girl, I guess. At that age, even imagining yourself being the object of a grown man's seduction? Preeeetty creepy, if you ask me. That's why we like pretty, feminine boys instead because that's not as threatening. At least that was probably the case for me, hell, I don't know what 12-year-old me was thinking!

Not trying to imply that you're a 12-year-old girl if you find seductive guys disturbing. I think it's because of this cultural narrative that male sexuality is aggressive, often violent (because that's how guys should be, right?), that we often see sexually aggressive guys as creeps or potential rapists or whatever. I know that I'm personally creeped out whenever a guy I don't know tries to hit on me, even if it's probably totally innocent, because for women, it seems like there's always this vague threat of sexual harassment lingering in the back of your mind. Deji's feelings might be an extension of that kind of mentality.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#2107 Post by Deji »

I've never liked BL, myself, oddly enough.

No pretty girls = boring x'D
Ok, that's not really the reason, haha. While some girls like the fact they don't need to empathize with a woman in the setting and still enjoy male sexuality in a non threatening way, I find the lack of an "subject" to empathize with boring; if there's no girl to empathize with, I lose all interest whatsoever >: There's no "Oh, I wish I'd be in that situation!" or "Hmm, that looks like it feels good~~"
Shirtless/naked guys do close to nothing for me; a bunch of them being sexy to each other just keep doing close to nothing xD
And can't empathize with the uke because uh... I don't enjoy that sort of thing myself *cough* ;_;

Then again, that only allows me to enjoy only certain kind of media that doesn't feel threatening to me ^^; The rest, I just don't. But hey, to each their own, I guess?
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#2108 Post by mugenjohncel »

I've done a terrible thing to my Niece-in-law... I feel like a horrible evil person inside right now... I know I did the right thing but still it contradicts me greatly and I feel disgusted by the fact that it only hit me this late in the night that horrible thing I did a few hours ago... It must be because of old age and maturity but I... :(

So we were having a short dinner together with the whole extended family and my soon to be College Niece-in-law said she wanted to take Fine-Arts in College... on the far side of the table talking to my Brother-in-Law business matters I without thinking said NO!... Take another course... you'll end up as a bum. Go take business management or any profitable course for your own good. She didn't say a single word afterward... Back then I was like inside my head... This is the right thing to do... I've seen your work and drawings and they're not that stellar and in today's very competitive environment you'll just end up getting devoured unless you have some financial buffer...

Only later in the day did it hit like like BAM!!! what an awful thing I just did... I just crushed the dreams of an aspiring artist... and then flashback I too was just like her back then... except I have it worse but still... yes, I was able to indulge in my artistic hobbies and goof off all day if I wanted to but that's because I'm financially secured for the rest of my life but what an awful thing to crush people's dream... especially she's my Niece-in-law and who knows how much emotional scar I may have left in there at a young age of 16...

I feel awful... I told this to my wife because I cannot sleep and consulted her what to do... she comforted me that I did the right thing but I need to do something about it... tomorrow... I'll give her my Bamboo Tablet and tell her up front to pursue her dreams but just be prepared for consequences and the unexpected... and in case you needed advice on Photoshop or anything else that might have something to do with Graphics, don't hesitate and come to Uncle Johan... I'll even lend you my Cameras, Tripods, Lights, Green Curtains... everything... just take them... they're just sitting there collecting dust anyway... (NO! The Cintiq Touch is HANDS OFF!... go ask your Dad to buy you one...)

There... it's OFF my chest now... It's 11:41PM... I'll sleep now...

"POOF" (Walks away slowly... :( )

Taosym
Veteran
Projects: http://lupiesoft.com/
Organization: Lupiesoft

#2109 Post by Taosym »

mugenjohncel wrote:I've done a terrible thing to my Niece-in-law... I feel like a horrible evil person inside right now... I know I did the right thing but still it contradicts me greatly and I feel disgusted by the fact that it only hit me this late in the night that horrible thing I did a few hours ago... It must be because of old age and maturity but I... :(

So we were having a short dinner together with the whole extended family and my soon to be College Niece-in-law said she wanted to take Fine-Arts in College... on the far side of the table talking to my Brother-in-Law business matters I without thinking said NO!... Take another course... you'll end up as a bum. Go take business management or any profitable course for your own good. She didn't say a single word afterward... Back then I was like inside my head... This is the right thing to do... I've seen your work and drawings and they're not that stellar and in today's very competitive environment you'll just end up getting devoured unless you have some financial buffer...

Only later in the day did it hit like like BAM!!! what an awful thing I just did... I just crushed the dreams of an aspiring artist... and then flashback I too was just like her back then... except I have it worse but still... yes, I was able to indulge in my artistic hobbies and goof off all day if I wanted to but that's because I'm financially secured for the rest of my life but what an awful thing to crush people's dream... especially she's my Niece-in-law and who knows how much emotional scar I may have left in there at a young age of 16...

I feel awful... I told this to my wife because I cannot sleep and consulted her what to do... she comforted me that I did the right thing but I need to do something about it... tomorrow... I'll give her my Bamboo Tablet and tell her up front to pursue her dreams but just be prepared for consequences and the unexpected... and in case you needed advice on Photoshop or anything else that might have something to do with Graphics, don't hesitate and come to Uncle Johan... I'll even lend you my Cameras, Tripods, Lights, Green Curtains... everything... just take them... they're just sitting there collecting dust anyway... (NO! The Cintiq Touch is HANDS OFF!... go ask your Dad to buy you one...)

You should tell her if she wants to become an artist, pursue a degree in marketing. Not fine arts, fine arts is almost a useless degree in the professional world. You are going to get into the business via connections, and your portfolio. So I would tell her straight up, have a conversation with her that if she pursues a degree in marketing that will actually help her art. Because she will learn how to sell herself, and become a professional artist that way. It's not hard to self teach yourself art these days. Then when she's out of college, she has a degree she can use to get a job with, and then transfer her experience into her dream job.

Lumella
Regular
Completed: Jose Rizal Visual Novel Game
Projects: Last Cycle's Vision
Organization: Unis

#2110 Post by Lumella »

mugenjohncel wrote:I feel awful... I told this to my wife because I cannot sleep and consulted her what to do... she comforted me that I did the right thing but I need to do something about it... tomorrow... I'll give her my Bamboo Tablet and tell her up front to pursue her dreams but just be prepared for consequences and the unexpected... and in case you needed advice on Photoshop or anything else that might have something to do with Graphics, don't hesitate and come to Uncle Johan... I'll even lend you my Cameras, Tripods, Lights, Green Curtains... everything... just take them... they're just sitting there collecting dust anyway... (NO! The Cintiq Touch is HANDS OFF!... go ask your Dad to buy you one...)

As an adult, I think you just did what you think is right and I'm sure she'll understand if you explain why. Though it's quite disheartening that it could ruin her dreams, you should talk to her and perhaps apologize.

I think anywhere, including Philippines, Fine Arts is seen as a course that can't make much of a career. I don't think it's true. It just depends on the different factors that can affect your future like the choice of school, skill you wish to master, or people you associate with.

If I were in your shoes, I'd tell her to pursue another course related to Design instead. There's more demand in advertising agencies, and studios for them. I suggest Multimedia Arts or Advertising (I insist on the 1st one though. They teach the necessary stuffs on 2D, 3D, Photography, and Graphic Design). If she doesn't have much skills, she should go to a school that teaches more in technical skills than theories, at the same time, has great facilities. Also, do research! Try to know which applicants from various schools do they trust to enter in their companies. My best bets for a school would be De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde. They have the best facilities I've seen compared to other schools. The library and classrooms are heaven ♥ The only difficult part in here is that the tuition fees are quite high, but I insist she take the scholarship programs from that school. Most of the students from my program are scholars, and dean's listers (they get discounts for every consecutive terms they're on the list).

You must be wondering why I'm insisting she still pursues a course related to Arts?
Well, it was based from my experiences. I'm doing fairly well as a varied artist. Though I initially enrolled as an illustrator, I gained new mastered skill sets in 3D, Animation & Graphic Design. I also joined an organization that opened a lot of doors for me. I've gotten a lot of job offers and referrals while I'm studying (I couldn't take them since I promised myself to concentrate on my studies, but they did keep their offers open until now). I do take occasional freelance jobs once in awhile, if I have time. So you can guess, it's just a matter of being smart in surviving as an artist. Having a network of artists, professionals & clients in the industry, and an updated portfolio ALWAYS helps.
Last edited by Lumella on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Artist. Indie Game Designer. Graphic Designer. 3D Hobbyist.
My VN Project: Last Cycle's Vision / Status: Slowly Active

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#2111 Post by teacup »

Should I be happy that my professors keep canceling class and giving students days off? Gosh, these classes were really expensive. I didn't exactly have my parents pay thousands of dollars to put me in college just for my classes to be canceled by lazy professors... it seems like all I do these days is sit in my apartment playing games or reading. My English professor canceled class for one week and a half, and my health professor has canceled class for the next two weeks. I don't even have homework anymore, as most of my classes only grade exams. Why am I not happy about this? Well, I moved miles away from home to "get an education"... and here I am on Lemmasoft at one PM on a Tuesday with absolutely nothing to do! Sometimes I think there's something really wrong with the education system in this country ^^;

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#2112 Post by Razz »

A little lost on where to go with my projects. I really, really want to start on a new project since the art needs for my last two are more or less complete. One needs the script and some CGs, and the other is in a similar position plus some coloring, but I dunno if i'm getting too ahead of myself here.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#2113 Post by SundownKid »

Razz wrote:A little lost on where to go with my projects. I really, really want to start on a new project since the art needs for my last two are more or less complete. One needs the script and some CGs, and the other is in a similar position plus some coloring, but I dunno if i'm getting too ahead of myself here.
Nah, if you were able to art 2 games in a short period, it was probably a small game anyway. But if you want to start another project, I'm always open to collaboration :wink: *eyebrow raise*

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#2114 Post by fleet »

teacup wrote:Should I be happy that my professors keep canceling class and giving students days off? Gosh, these classes were really expensive. I didn't exactly have my parents pay thousands of dollars to put me in college just for my classes to be canceled by lazy professors... it seems like all I do these days is sit in my apartment playing games or reading. My English professor canceled class for one week and a half, and my health professor has canceled class for the next two weeks. I don't even have homework anymore, as most of my classes only grade exams. Why am I not happy about this? Well, I moved miles away from home to "get an education"... and here I am on Lemmasoft at one PM on a Tuesday with absolutely nothing to do! Sometimes I think there's something really wrong with the education system in this country ^^;

Contact the department heads who oversee those departments and request replacement instructors. It might not do any good, but at least you'll express your concerns to the people who have the power to take action.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#2115 Post by Razz »

SundownKid wrote:
Razz wrote:A little lost on where to go with my projects. I really, really want to start on a new project since the art needs for my last two are more or less complete. One needs the script and some CGs, and the other is in a similar position plus some coloring, but I dunno if i'm getting too ahead of myself here.
Nah, if you were able to art 2 games in a short period, it was probably a small game anyway. But if you want to start another project, I'm always open to collaboration :wink: *eyebrow raise*
Thanks man, might see if you're interested if i decide to do another one. :)