What TV Show fandoms are you in?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
MarineScripter
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi
Organization: Oceanic Eden Productions

Re: What TV Show fandoms are you in?

#31 Post by MarineScripter »

Doctor Who and Bones for me.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#32 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

thedarkdefender wrote:
Lumen_Astrum wrote:And yes, Adventure Time. Mostly from the internet, but I watch Filipino dubs every Sunday.
There are Filipino dubs every Sunday? What channel yo?! XD
On TV5! :) Right after Johnny Bravo at 9AM.
MomoiroGirl wrote:OH GOD, YES!! THIS SO MUCH! Legend of Korra!! <3 I am so riddiculously in love with LoK XD

Gotta admit that I've never watched Spartacus, but I've zapped past a channel airing it a few times and hung around, and it seems really cool. I've gotten a thing for bloody shows like True Blood XD
YES I FANGIRL OVER EVERYBODY IN LoK, AND I'M PROUD OF IT.

And yes, Spartacus is awesome like that. I cringe a little sometimes at the exaggeration of the blood in the fighting scenes, but for me, it was really detailed and cool for a TV series. :)

---
Btw, if local TV shows count, I watch Princess and I. It looks so much like a Korean-novela, and the story bits are really cool, putting aside the huge portion of it being romance. Dasho Yuan Rinpoche is badass.

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#33 Post by Destiny »

Um...
I'm not sure what falls into the word "TV show", so I just say which series I like, k?

It's Navy CSI, My Little Pony, Powerpuff Girls and Cold Case.
(Fun fact: I don't own a TV and only watch these at my mothers place, because she likes NCSI and Cold Case, too. I normally never watch TV, because I dislike it)
But I wouldn't call it a fandom, I just really like watching it.
MLP and Powerpuff Girls are maybe some kind of fandom, since I also like the fanworks to the series, but I wouldn't run around with a T-Shirt of either of the series ôo
Last edited by Destiny on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Lumella
Regular
Completed: Jose Rizal Visual Novel Game
Projects: Last Cycle's Vision
Organization: Unis

#34 Post by Lumella »

I don't watch TV often, so I stream them off instead. I'm currently watching the following series:

-Downton Abbey
-Sungkyunkwan Scandal (OH GOSH. I RECOMMEND ANYONE TO WATCH THIS IF YOU LIKE GENDERBENDER GENRES ♥)
-Star Driver (Do not judge me. Haha!)

I have yet to watch other TV Series. I'm eyeing on Doctor Who next or maybe Game of Thrones, but I'd prolly watch them next year or over the holidays instead if things turn so busy these days.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Downton Abbey. All my love for this series and the Dowager Countess.
YES, OMG! ♥ The countess has that no-nonsense attitude. I love her for being a clever character. xD
I heard they're going to make the prequel of Downton Abbey, telling the story of Lord & Lady Grantham's stories.
ImageImageImageImage

Artist. Indie Game Designer. Graphic Designer. 3D Hobbyist.
My VN Project: Last Cycle's Vision / Status: Slowly Active

Veniae
Veteran

#35 Post by Veniae »

I'm actually not much into TV shows, but recently I've been watching more of them.

Most of all, I'm not hopelessly addicted to Doctor Who. I'd never assumed I'd enjoy a sci-fi show so much, but I do! The combination of English humour, awesome characters and imaginative stories is just too good to pass up on.

Other than that, I'm in love with Sherlock (the show, as well as the main character :D), for pretty much the same reasons as with Who.

I also enjoy Game of Thrones, even though I haven't got round to watching the second season yet - I'm a bit put off by some changes of the book's plot that they took the liberty of making. Other than that, it's pretty good and I'm a big fan of the books, so it's definitely on my Watchlist.

Oh, and I've also been planning on watching Once Upon a Time and Merlin. Has anyone watched them? Yay or Nay? :D

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#36 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Veniae wrote: I also enjoy Game of Thrones, even though I haven't got round to watching the second season yet - I'm a bit put off by some changes of the book's plot that they took the liberty of making.
I'm one of those people that PREFER media adaptions to be different from the source material. Otherwise, why bother? I don't want a movie to perfectly follow a book, but adapt the material and do things with it that were impossible to do in a non-visual medium. As a reader or viewer, I appreciate changes because it means I get to experience the story over again with suspense and uncertain knowledge intact. It means that neither version can be seen as necessarily better, just different. Kick-Ass the comic is, in my view, better than Kick-Ass the movie, but Kick-Ass 2 the movie sounds like it is going to be a whole lot better than Kick-Ass 2 the comic was, so it all balances.

As an author or creator I would LOVE to get the chance to remix my own work. I think many of us who have written stories know there are times when there were equally valid directions we could have taken the story in, but were forced to choose one. If I wrote a book and then got a chance to help write the screenplay for a movie or TV adaption, I'd totally change things up. This character who lived in the book and was a lynchpin to the group staying together? Let's kill him off in the movie and see what happens. Did my murder mystery have two equally valid suspects (maybe I was using one as a red herring)? Let's have the other guy be the actually guilty party in the adaptation. Maybe as an author or creator it has been years since I got to touch my old story, and well, I've become a BETTER storyteller since the original incarnation, and now I get the chance to correct what I perceive as weaknesses or mistakes in the original story. Hindsight is, after all, 20/20, so now from the other end of the story I can tell it WOULD have been better if I'd chosen direction B over direction A.

Also, as someone who believes in the Everett Many Worlds theory of quantum mechanics, I just view adaptions as parallel realities within the universe of the story, all equally valid outcomes seen from different reference points.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#37 Post by MaiMai »

I also forgot to mention I love Big Bang Theory even though I don't adamantly follow it. The humor is just top notch.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Veniae
Veteran

#38 Post by Veniae »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:I'm one of those people that PREFER media adaptions to be different from the source material. Otherwise, why bother? I don't want a movie to perfectly follow a book, but adapt the material and do things with it that were impossible to do in a non-visual medium. As a reader or viewer, I appreciate changes because it means I get to experience the story over again with suspense and uncertain knowledge intact. It means that neither version can be seen as necessarily better, just different. Kick-Ass the comic is, in my view, better than Kick-Ass the movie, but Kick-Ass 2 the movie sounds like it is going to be a whole lot better than Kick-Ass 2 the comic was, so it all balances.

As an author or creator I would LOVE to get the chance to remix my own work. I think many of us who have written stories know there are times when there were equally valid directions we could have taken the story in, but were forced to choose one. If I wrote a book and then got a chance to help write the screenplay for a movie or TV adaption, I'd totally change things up. This character who lived in the book and was a lynchpin to the group staying together? Let's kill him off in the movie and see what happens. Did my murder mystery have two equally valid suspects (maybe I was using one as a red herring)? Let's have the other guy be the actually guilty party in the adaptation. Maybe as an author or creator it has been years since I got to touch my old story, and well, I've become a BETTER storyteller since the original incarnation, and now I get the chance to correct what I perceive as weaknesses or mistakes in the original story. Hindsight is, after all, 20/20, so now from the other end of the story I can tell it WOULD have been better if I'd chosen direction B over direction A.

Also, as someone who believes in the Everett Many Worlds theory of quantum mechanics, I just view adaptions as parallel realities within the universe of the story, all equally valid outcomes seen from different reference points.
Mm, while I definitely see where you're coming from, I can't fully agree with you. It's true that an adaptation can change things in order to improve the story, to correct any flaws in the original, but those changes would work only when they make sense in the context of the narrative. (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 comes to mind. The
fist fight between Harry and Voldemort
stuck out like a sore thumb and was jarringly out of place. On the other hand, one of the best movie adaptations of my favourite book, Pride and Prejudice (the 1995 BBC mini-series) doesn't always follow the book verbatim, but the changes they make don't disrupt the logic and flow of the story. So I guess it depends on the execution, like everything else.)

It may be a bit conservative, but as a fan of X book, I go to the cinema to see that same story adapted as a film. Especially if we're talking about a book of Game of Thrones' calibre (which is very well thought out and without any glaring plot holes that beg for correction), I would perceive any major deviation from the original as a weakness. From the author's point of view, some change might be an improvement, but for a great part of the fanbase, it would probably be a let-down. Especially if - as it happens - a favourite character/scene gets changed for no apparent reason. Since we're speaking about two versions of essentially the same work of fiction, they can be compared. At least for me, the comparison is almost always in the original's favour.

That being said, I agree with the Everett interpretation. I'm not saying that the original must never be changed when it's adapted, but rather that it shouldn't be changed just for the sake of changing it.

Arelune
Regular

#39 Post by Arelune »

Veniae wrote:Oh, and I've also been planning on watching Once Upon a Time and Merlin. Has anyone watched them? Yay or Nay? :D
I'm assuming you're talking about the BBC version.
While I do love Merlin, it definitely has its flaws. Especially the first season. The production values really aren't good at the start and I sometimes laughed at the sheer ridiculousness of the situation. Arthur's numberous knock-outs lol.
It starts out as a light-hearted series, but turns slowly darker and -in my opinion- better as it goes along. The one that's airing now, Season 5, is really great. :)
The best thing about the series is the Arthur - Merlin banter. It's sometimes hilarious and it's nice to see their relationship develop.
So my recommendation would be : it wouldn't hurt to try. :)

Lekhaka
Regular

#40 Post by Lekhaka »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Did my murder mystery have two equally valid suspects (maybe I was using one as a red herring)? Let's have the other guy be the actually guilty party in the adaptation.
I boo at this...

Even using your many-worlds interpretation this makes for a completely different story. It's different from your other examples because in a sherlock-styled "deduction" mystery, the chain of causality is followed backwards as the story progresses forwards in time.

Changing the actual culprit and leaving all the clues to appear the same doesn't make sense to the highest degree. And this bothers me.

Think about it, if all but the actual culprit is changed, this means it most likely isn't a branch even close to the original story. This is a completely different branch, selected solely for its superficial resemblance to the other one. Well, this wouldn't matter except...

The traditional point of mystery plots is to solve clues by following them on a path to the solution. If you do a backstage switch...this you just proved to the audience that the original "solve" was meaningless, and that solutions in general in this meta-verse is meaningless. How could it possibly be a test of problem solving skill if, given the same clues, two culprits could both be guilty, and which one actually in your universe simply depends on your observer's luck of landing in that universe...? There is no path. You happened to see a clue, then happen to stumble to the solution.

Unless of course, the point of your story is somewhat radically utilitarian...let the cop incapacitate both suspects because they could both be dangerous, and it's impractical to try to figure out which world you're in with the given resources and time. :lol:

Jaydens

#41 Post by Jaydens »

According to me South Park and Dexter are the best series of all.

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#42 Post by ebi brain »

It got cancelled years ago... But I will forever love "Wonderfalls"!
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D