Heartstring Bugs [dating sim, otome] (Guide's up)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

Re: Heartstring Bugs [dating sim, otome]

#46 Post by VenusEclipse »

I posted a quick guide up for those that need it.

http://www.unbrokenhours.com/forum/view ... =335#p4578

For clothing: If you are dating multiple people, it's harder to keep track of which clothes you had on, but every guy remembers what you wore the last time you went out (even four weeks later if that's the last time you dated).

For the teacher, I had to get rid of him and another character because it was becoming too much to handle. ^^;

@Ashen: It's okay. xD I suspect some people may feel that way, it might be because I didn't incorporate him enough in between the first meeting and thanksgiving. I just couldn't write any more, or put additional events by then. Although he does appear on certain "paths" more and helps with interaction.

@Okiness: I didn't do bombs because I don't understand them. I really only played one Tokimeki GS game in Japanese, relying on voice acting to get me through.

@shanou20 and Kimmy: Your problem can be fixed by checking out the troubleshooting section on the first post of this topic. Most people fix it by running it through software renderer.

@fae: :(

@Junko Mihari: Thanks for your review. I'm happy to receive one. =D I'm glad you noticed and like the interaction with characters, which is something I always like to play around with. It's really hard to write in the perspective of a teenager since I haven't been one for a long time, and will never be again. For the few inconsistent events, they're based on what stats you had at the moment, and they activate when your friendship with someone else reaches a certain level. It was tough to weave them together but I'm glad they didn't throw you off or ruin the immersion. The biggest inconsistencies were fixed during beta, for example, where you can phone someone when they are "not there." Or you can invite someone out when they left. The only way for me to make it so those ones you encountered won't feel inconsistent, is if I remove a lot of what they say. But I think these small things should be okay for now. ^^;
Again, thanks for mentioning them.
Last edited by VenusEclipse on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

#47 Post by 9:19 »

YEESSSSSS.

Congrats!

I'll edit in my comments later. Sorry for the lack of substance I should make this my signature to save time.

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

Re: Heartstring Bugs [dating sim, otome] (Guide's up)

#48 Post by FatUnicornGames »

Yeah, I think it might be a little glitchy then. Because I would change every piece of clothing and he still would think I was unhygienic. I was only dating Chase, so it wasn't too confusing.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#49 Post by Arowana »

Oh god, I have been obsessively playing this game for the last two days because it is just that much fun. As I said before, I'm a Tokimeki Memorial fan, so I was stoked to see a North American counterpart (and no bombs or rival mode - heck yeah!). It's obvious how much work went into this game (it's waaay more than 2 hours/playthrough! :) ), and you have my eternal respect for that 2.5 year development period. Many lesser souls would not have pulled through, so hats off to you!

I've only done Chase's path so far, which was kind of a love-hate relationship for me.
I dislike aloof jerks, so I was pretty mean to him at first. Then he turned out to be in chess club with me. And he liked that my MC was smart. And he was friends with my buds Lucas and Alice (love the chibi scene where Lucas messes up his chess board!). I finally bust a gut laughing at Chase's Halloween scene (my fav part of the game so far), which sealed the deal -> "I'm sorry I shunned you, Chase, please give me your numberrrr!"

At first, I thought he was great because we had the same taste in clothes and dating spots, haha. His big secret and ending, however, came out of left-field for me. I'll admit to feeling pretty trolled by the crazy Twilight parody, which may have been intentional on your part. Just goes to show me, the jerk is not worth it after all! ;p
Alice was also my bffl this playthrough, because she's adorable. I really emphasized with her story and wanted to give her many hugs.
Did she have a crush on Chase after all? Or was she just happy to have a friend? I could never quite figure out if I was betraying her by dating Chase...some friend I am. ^^
Also wanted to say I loved the little references to VNs, Frozen Essence, Lucky Rabbit Reflex, etc.! I also enjoyed how you did the credits at the end
where each of the characters reflects on their experiences, then meet up again after high school is over. Super sweet.
Some nitpicky issues:

I noticed several continuity problems, which I assume stem from the difficulty in programming so many random conditional events.
For instance, after I had the scene with Chase's family, I had a storyline with Alice where she still was hiding Chase's secret from me, even though she knew I already found out.
Sometimes when I went to Tamera's house, it would jump immediately to the "hang out" choice without giving me the menu. Not sure why.

I also had issues with guys complaining about old outfits, even when I had never worn those clothes before.

Final exam results in the third year never showed up for me. Still miffed that I got all Ds in the second year even though all my stats were well above 100 - how high do they have to be to get an A, lol <-- totally plays the nerd route.
Though Vi was cute, I'm not sure if he was used to his full potential. I expected him and his powers to have a bigger impact on the story, but I barely saw him outside of a few scenes. To be fair, I've only played one route, and he likely appears more in other paths.

The MC seemed a bit too accepting of the crazy things around her, imo. I guess if I were in her shoes, I'd be freaking out a lot more about Vi and Chase's secret, haha.
Again, great work! I am super impressed by (and addicted to) your game. :D
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

okiness
Regular
Projects: Puella Nomen Invenio
Organization: ONP

#50 Post by okiness »

And I love you for it. Bombs made me so angry. Loving the game

Connie
Regular

#51 Post by Connie »

You do not know how loud I gasped when I saw this out.... I've been waiting for this for a long time!
I love food.

RainbowMusicAddict
Regular

#52 Post by RainbowMusicAddict »

I am REALLY happy you were able to get this game to come out!
I've played only one route so far (WHO PLAYS AND BEATS THIS GAME IN TWO HOURS?!)
It took me a few days, minus me being busy.
One route, and I saved over 155 times.. o-o
(literally on save spot 155 xD)
I kind of wish there was a 'clear saves' button,
because now I kind of have to search for the last page I saved on to load something xD
Though I'm mostly the only person with this problem, baha.

Anyways thank you with your hard work on this game!
It really shows :D
I'm going to go through the other routes now,
and probably be playing this for a long time.
When I'm finished, I'll be sure to let you know what i think about it.!

Edit:
I was playing through Blaze's route,
and well this showed up o-o
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ebftqt.png

And what happened to Thanks giving?
It never happens again after the first year. o-o
At least I have not seen it happen at all.
Last edited by RainbowMusicAddict on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.” -Salvador Dali

fae_of_the_rose

#53 Post by fae_of_the_rose »

Having played one route, got frustrated with two others (before the guide went up, thank you thank you for putting that up!), and in the process of a fourth, I have to say that the biggest "issue" with the game was continuity. You'd get a scene with Chase asking why you chased him last year in your last, obviously meant for the first in-game year, or you'd get a scene with the girls telling you where Huang can be found before you actually meet him in game. I'd've also liked to see them acknowledge that you're dating, or even for the MC to have a moment of "uh I hope [insert boyfriend here] doesn't mind Tamera" when Tamera was....Tamera and pushing her friends to do crazy relationship related things. Aside from all that, though, I love this game. The stories are cute and it's just really, really fun!

Also, even if I played without distractions, this is way longer than two hours a route. Maybe more like four or something.

Strawberries

#54 Post by Strawberries »

Ever since I've seen this post, I downloaded the game quickly and I had been playing non-stop.
Things were simple to figure out for me. So far, I've finished playing 2 routes: Lucas's and Dimitri's. Originally, I was going for Dimitri until I saw a certain scene of Lucas.
Since I didn't read what you mentioned in your post about the features and all, I was surprised that the game didn't end in just one year. I've been playing several Dating sims/Otome games and mostly, they will end when a year has past by or even shorter than that.
There were stuffs that I would like to say about the game as I played but I seem to have forgotten what they were. I'll list them down when I play.
Overall, it's a addicting game with a lovely plot-line. :) /rumblesawaywishingherhighschoollifewaslikethis
I shall take a break and start playing other's routes soon. :D
Nothing says that love would be like a chocolate-coated strawberry.
-Strawberries

Vynuxys
Regular

#55 Post by Vynuxys »

KittyKatStar wrote: Once you click this: http://www.unbrokenhours.com/projects/h ... nload.html

It's the buttons in the bottom right corner: Windows, Mac, Linux.
Thanks so much. Can't believe I missed that -facepalms self-.

nipaa_kazuma
Regular

#56 Post by nipaa_kazuma »

Sorry for being late,I was waiting to play Lucas's path.

Well, it's true that with this language you can tell one thing with many sentences.
(That why people are saying it's hard to learn). Futhermore since in Quebec, they're
using others words and expressions.
However you did a good job =3.
I'm just fixing the few mistakes I found.
"Je suis de raccrocher. Si je n'ai pas, je vais avoir une grosse facture de téléphone."
"Je dois raccrocher. Si je ne le fais pas, [...] (next is correct)
"Voulez-vous d'accrocher quelque temps ?" well, this didn't mean anything but I can
understand what you wanted to say. The verb "to hung" is traduced like tie someone
(with ropes and others things). I suppose he used the second person of singular so the
traduction is "Tu veux sortir de temps en temps ?" (or in english "You want to hung sometimes ?")
I hope it will be useful now I come back to my playing.
I'm really enjoying your game and its durability =D.

inhalance
Regular
Projects: Seasonal Melody ♬

#57 Post by inhalance »

I'm already so addicted to this game. It's so fun and entertaining ;__; I could play it all day! Also, I noticed when I went to the mall and met Huang, he was trying to help a lady get somewhere and she was speaking in Cantonese! At first I was wondering what language it was since it's a bit odd to write Cantonese out in English letters, but I was happily surprised to see that. I'm just curious, are you a Cantonese speaker yourself? Have I stumbled upon a fellow Canto member? :) Anyways, I'm really glad I stumbled upon this thread. I can't wait for more of your future games!
Offering proofreading help and writing assets.

Current WIP:

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#58 Post by VenusEclipse »

Hmm, it might be only Chase's problem. I'll look at the script for his reaction again.

@inhalance: Yeah, I speak Cantonese. I'm glad you recognize it. I add a bit here and there. =D

@nipaa_kazuma: I'll send you a PM soon about what's written. ^.^

@Strawberries: I changed the average play through to four hours. I first based the estimate off my own play through, since I know what I'm doing.

@fae: For continuity, due to many of the events being conditional, it's tough for me to change some events without rewriting them. There's a few I can adjust and fix, like the one you mentioned: the girls talking about where Huang is before he is introduced. That is an error on my part, I thought I fixed that already. There a few conditions that trigger that and I didn't touch them all. And I can change Chase's talk about "chasing last year" to "chasing in the first year." =D
I think I'll wait a bit to see what else may get mentioned, and I can do one full update. My bandwidth is a pain on upload speed.

@Rainbow: I don't know how to label save points. I might need to find out. And thanks for that missing image. I overlooked it. It's also an uncommon event so it doesn't pop up often. xD
And I'm not sure about Thanksgiving off the top of my head. Let me remember if it happens again after first year. *Thinks and realizes... I probably only made it happen once at this point. The other events are so much more important that it slipped my head that it doesn't happen again.

@Arowana: I don't mean to troll. I sort of want to embrace the love for that culture, as well as try to make fun of it for those that dislike it. I try to add as many hints to it as possible so people don't get surprised, but then of course, I can't expect everyone to love that part of it. xD
But I'm glad you still enjoyed it. Just in case you didn't do it and I suspect you won't go for him again, I'll like to mention that if you give him "that" novel for his birthday, he'll express his disgust.

For Alice, I made it so
she may like whoever the player chooses. It's why I made it unclear. In the cooking club, she blushes when Dimitri shows off his skills and wishes he'll join. Lucas becomes her white knight in random places (or is it just one?). And Chase is an obvious choice too. The other girls might get swayed by the other guys too. Their preference is more clear, but then the player can decide with the way they react to the other guys. Tamera talks to all of them and she has different relationships with all of them.
For a few continuity problems, I switched some events around and realized that I moved Alice's after Chase's event. That probably did it. If I get enough content to update, I'll probably move their events around so it makes more sense. Thanks.

~Thanks for playing everyone. This is the first time that there are no bug-related crashes for me!~

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#59 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

This is awesome :D Thank you so much for releasing this, I've been waiting for it patiently and it's definitely worth it. I don't have any problems so far so the game went smoothly, that's all I guess. Oh oh wait, you're awesome :D And now, I'm done. :3

rainaria

#60 Post by rainaria »

This is so fun! I really liked it, it's a bit repetitive, but dating sims usually are. I'm still in my first playthrough, but everything looks great so far. :)
There was one bug I encountered - when it was the clothes choosing part of the date, the bug showed no clothes on her and there was no 'off' button, even though I clicked on any clothes. When going to the date, though, it seems that she wears whatever she was wearing last.