Yesterday's Dream [Puzzle, KN]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
FlawedFlare
Regular
Projects: [Without Your Half],[ Underground], Unidentified Shallow Heart

Yesterday's Dream [Puzzle, KN]

#1 Post by FlawedFlare »

Synopsis:

You play a girl, Coleko, who wakes up in the middle of snow.
Or rather in the middle of nowhere.
She has no idea what just happened or why she was there.
In fact, she has no recollection of anything at all.

After wandering around a bit, she finds a house to take shelter in.
A rather... strange house.

Features:
--------------------
3 room puzzles
2 Endings
And a Gallery

Download links: (Hopefully they work)
----------------------
All (Broken again)
Macs: On 4shared
Windows: On 4shared

4shared requires an account to download. Hopefully it works for now. If not, I'll still be continuing on uploading this thing somehow!

------------------------------------
As a beginner, I'm proud to have finished this. You know that feeling of accomplishment you get when you finish something?
Oh man, that's good. Though I'm a little nervous as I'm not too sure if the puzzles are too hard or something. ; - ;
I tried to make it as easy as I could, but still with a little difficulty. So I'd kind of like to get some feedback on them.
The story was rather rushed actually, when though I did all the planning and stuff. It was lot of fun though!
I hope you enjoy Yesterday's Dream!
Last edited by FlawedFlare on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 10 times in total.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

Re: Yesterday's Dream [Puzzle, KN]

#2 Post by TsukiShima »

Firstly, congratulation with your first. My first impression of it was the VN is good, and I enjoy the puzzle already. The art is nice and the music are very calming. I'll leave my review as soon I finish playing this.

Though, I need a little help.
I'm currently in the library, and now rearranging the books. I'm pretty sure I've got the arrangement correct, but nothing happened. I just wanted to be sure if I'm doing it wrongly or there's some bugs to it. It is Red Purple Yellow Green Blue, right?

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Censor
Organization: Lucky Special Games
itch: saguarofoo

#3 Post by saguaro »

Mediafire blocked the download for me.
This file has been identified as a copyright protected work and cannot be distributed using MediaFire.

Still have questions or do you think we've made an mistake? Check our knowledge base for more information or contact us about it.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#4 Post by papillon »

yeah, I can't download it either :(

Might be better to use VN-specific hosting rather than these sites which are so constantly entangled in piracy problems, dodgy ads, and legal actions? I know there were some people offering hosting before...

jghibiki
Regular
Projects: Dream's Dénouement, Unannounced RPG framework, Renpy-Safe Logger
Organization: Team Anarky
IRC Nick: jghibiki

#5 Post by jghibiki »

papillon wrote:yeah, I can't download it either :(

Might be better to use VN-specific hosting rather than these sites which are so constantly entangled in piracy problems, dodgy ads, and legal actions? I know there were some people offering hosting before...
Yeah check with redeyesblackpanda or leon for hosting stuff :)

xKonoex

#6 Post by xKonoex »

Why cant i play the windows download?

FlawedFlare
Regular

#7 Post by FlawedFlare »

Hey guys. I'm so sorry for the misleading links. My computer was acting up (or rather my internet was). When I was uploading the files, it must've messed it up and "finished" it. But that's fixed now. I went and reuploaded the files and updated the links so that they work.
HanaMori wrote: Though, I need a little help.
I'm currently in the library, and now rearranging the books. I'm pretty sure I've got the arrangement correct, but nothing happened. I just wanted to be sure if I'm doing it wrongly or there's some bugs to it. It is Red Purple Yellow Green Blue, right?
That should be the correct answer.
Unless you haven't found the switch nearby yet.

Sheridan
Regular
Completed: Tea & Sympathy, 51 cards

#8 Post by Sheridan »

The download links still don't work for me =(

This looks interesting, though, I'd love to play it.

FlawedFlare
Regular

#9 Post by FlawedFlare »

Sheridan wrote:The download links still don't work for me =(
I've reuploaded and updated once again! It took a few hours though... V w V;;
Sheridan wrote:This looks interesting, though, I'd love to play it.
I actually saw your game and downloaded it before making this topic. I've been rushing to get this uploading problem over so I can play your game!! XD

I'm actually curious as to how HanaMori was able to download this, despite everyone else's problems.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#10 Post by TsukiShima »

Because I was around when you made the post and downloaded it before the link had a breakdown. I never thought mediafire would take it down.

Edit : I've finished the game. So the library puzzle was the last puzzle, I feel sad now.
The story was rather good, but perhaps because I'm slow, I couldn't understand completely during my first play. From my guess, Collie is an uncompleted ghost, since she was unable to see them. What I didn't understand was the flying objects that were threw to her. Did Rev threw it unintentionally to release his anger? Or because he was feeling uneasy since a ghost was in there? And since the story only mentioned 3 characters, I wondered if the Collie's killer was already found, or Rev is going to find him/her before moving away.

The puzzles were neatly done, though I cheated for the 'SUM' puzzle by pressing any possible numbers. I'm not sure if it was an error, but the puzzle in the kitchen could be repeated : I already got the Library key, and I tried to go back to upper shelf, and finding a spoon all over again. I was even able to bang the oven multiple times.

The music was nice and fitting to me. Not too dark, yet brought a little hint of sadness to me. The art was nicely done too. I liked the gallery.

This is a bit funny, but since the ring on her neck is the mark of death, it reminded me of Zombie Loan.
I rarely play puzzle games since most are difficult for me, but since I could go through this without too much hints (expect for the switch), I enjoyed this game!
Last edited by TsukiShima on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlawedFlare
Regular

#11 Post by FlawedFlare »

HanaMori wrote:Because I was around when you made the post and downloaded it before the link had a breakdown. I never thought mediafire would take it down.
Every time I re-uploaded, Mediafire didn't let it get shared because of copyrights. I rechecked my files and decided to maybe alter some of the properties (Is that even okay? ; - ; ). Afterwards, I was getting tired of re-uploading two separate files that took forever to upload (I am very impatient. V w V;; ) and I decided to build a distribution that just support all three, Linux, Mac, and Windows. After each and every re-uploading test, I was super nervous that I wouldn't be able to get this game out to the world! Hence the resort of the 4shared links.

Sheridan
Regular
Completed: Tea & Sympathy, 51 cards

#12 Post by Sheridan »

That's odd. Did you use copyrighted materials?

Anyway, I did play the game, and I liked it. The art's very nice, and the puzzles weren't too difficult.
I think the twist was a bit obvious from what you learn in the first room, but maybe it was meant to be. It works fine as a natural resolution of the story, rather than a surprising twist.
One (possibly nitpicky) suggestion:
It might be a good idea to edit the books puzzle to accept lowercase letters as an alternate correct answer. I got stuck for a minute because I knew I was entering the colors in the right order, but I didn't capitalize every word.

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#13 Post by DragoonHP »

@FlawsFlare: You should contact Mediafire about this issue; it might just be a bot tagging your file as an identified copyright work because of conflicting names or something like that.

FlawedFlare
Regular

#14 Post by FlawedFlare »

Sheridan wrote:That's odd. Did you use copyrighted materials?
DragoonHP wrote:@FlawsFlare: You should contact Mediafire about this issue; it might just be a bot tagging your file as an identified copyright work because of conflicting names or something like that.
I believe it was the music that was copyrighted. I did a few edits to the files, but gave credits in the game. Afterwards, I didn't really check to see if it worked with the individual versions. I did contact Mediafire about the problem though.
Sheridan wrote:Anyway, I did play the game, and I liked it. The art's very nice, and the puzzles weren't too difficult.
I think the twist was a bit obvious from what you learn in the first room, but maybe it was meant to be. It works fine as a natural resolution of the story, rather than a surprising twist.
One (possibly nitpicky) suggestion:
It might be a good idea to edit the books puzzle to accept lowercase letters as an alternate correct answer. I got stuck for a minute because I knew I was entering the colors in the right order, but I didn't capitalize every word.
The diary was hinting a little too much, wasn't it? Thanks so much for your feedback!
I'll also remember for the puzzle responses to take lowercases. I didn't really think about it. >w<;; Sorry!

Jayne
Regular

#15 Post by Jayne »

I'm already stuck at the first room.
I wonder if you would mind telling me how to solve the first room the door code. It is a bit too confusing for me. Besides, I can't reread the diary. So mind lending some help? >< Thank you ><