Need Help !

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Ashmina

Need Help !

#1 Post by Ashmina »

Im really a beginer and i would appreciate some help since i dont know which programs to use .. i want to start to make a short vn ! send me a message if u can !! thankssssssss :roll:

HamstarXCrown
Regular

Re: Need Help !

#2 Post by HamstarXCrown »

Renpy, Novelty are free.
Eventually, if you want to pay then RPG maker
Read this
My new account is Bear X - Any progress or Project update I will posting by it. If I'm working with someone please PM me by it

Ashmina

#3 Post by Ashmina »

yeah i already have that :P
In to the sky to win or die

desulishor
Regular
Completed: Project Dualis, Of Valkyries and Life
Projects: Project Scribble [on hiatus] Project Aivisu (WIP) Seven Seasons (WIP)

#4 Post by desulishor »

doesn't renpy come with tutorials and directions though? should be simple enough for anyone to use after a while-..- (they're on the renpy help option in the main menu.)

kankan
Regular

#5 Post by kankan »

If you're set on creating a VN, tell us about it. Do you have a story in mind? Have the characters been figured out? What are you going to bring to the table? It'll be hard to recruit people who will work seriously with you without some sort of directional focus. If you're looking more to learn about using Ren'py, perhaps you can ask around to see if somebody will let you shadow them as they make their game? It's probably easier than jumping straight into a VN on your own.

Ashmina

#6 Post by Ashmina »

kankan wrote:If you're set on creating a VN, tell us about it. Do you have a story in mind? Have the characters been figured out? What are you going to bring to the table? It'll be hard to recruit people who will work seriously with you without some sort of directional focus. If you're looking more to learn about using Ren'py, perhaps you can ask around to see if somebody will let you shadow them as they make their game? It's probably easier than jumping straight into a VN on your own.

yeah thats what i should probably do at least for now. About the story and everything i have been working on something it's not yet finished ( i'm writing it ) but i do have a story .. hmm but i shouldd ''shadow'' some one ! so who can I shadow!!!!? :?: :roll:

Ashmina

#7 Post by Ashmina »

and umm which is the best and more easy program to learn renpy or novelty? what do u think? :-/

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#8 Post by fleet »

Ashmina wrote:and umm which is the best and more easy program to learn renpy or novelty? what do u think? :-/
Which one is better depends on you. I prefer Novelty since it does not require coding to produce a visual novel.
Ren'py requires coding, but it has the advantage of being able to produce VNs in Windows, MAC, and Linux. I believe the majority of VN creators here at lemmasoft use Ren'py.
Both programs have active forums where you can get help and advice.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Ashmina

#9 Post by Ashmina »

yes i know i have already read allot about it and tryied it my self but its not the same i seem to have a question every 2 minutes :-S

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

#10 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

I haven't ever used Novelty before, but I can say that while Ren'py looks intimidating, it isn't that hard to get a handle of (as far as basic functions) If you decide to use Ren'py play through the tutorial, that will pretty much teach you all the basic stuff. If you encounter a problem or an error and you aren't sure how to fix it, just simply ask. LSF is full of kind people who will answer your question, but you need to tell exactly what the problem is or else people can't understand well enough to know how to help you.

Ashmina

#11 Post by Ashmina »

i already have a problem on ren'py--> tutorial-->edit file--->script.rpy----> i pressed editra it automaticly downloaded or something and then it said error, launching editra failed .. but anyway i suppose i can re download it right? ppff

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

#12 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

So it crashed when you clicked 'Edit Script,' in other words when it was trying to load the program used for editing the text files? If this is the case, you may need to run Ren'py with Admin privileges if you're not already.

If you are already running it as Admin, or this doesn't fix it, or my assumption of trying to understand the problem is incorrect. Then yes you should probably re-download. I hope this helps.

Ashmina

#13 Post by Ashmina »

it actually did download (editra)then it froze then i closed the whole pc and then it had the error im using a very old lap top right now so i think thats even worst .. im gonna get a new one next week or so. so i wil download it again and hope it works . thank u anway :) (my english is not so good im half greek sorry if u miss understood things ) ..

Ashmina

#14 Post by Ashmina »

i am runing it as admin :-/

Aux10

#15 Post by Aux10 »

Ashmina wrote:i am runing it as admin :-/
Are you running in an admin account or are you right clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator" There's a huge difference between the two. (Windows Only)
You could always try opening the editor manually by executing it directly instead of through Renpy. You can find it in your Renpy folder. You could also try using a different compatible editor such as JCEdit.