Gay romance novels

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
quityiex

Gay romance novels

#1 Post by quityiex »

What are some good gay romance books hat i can read online? I want some romance books not erotica i dont mind if it has alittle in it but mainly i want it to be romance. I would like to be able to read them online and have them be free.

Admin Edit: Spambot. Account deleted, but topic left in place for further discussion.
Last edited by quityiex on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Romance

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

As strange as that may sound, I recommend scanning http://www.fanfiction.net/ for what you're looking for. Fifty Shades of Grey started as a Twilight fanfiction, and you won't find more gay romance anywhere than in fanfiction.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

Re: Gay romance novels

#3 Post by Hijiri »

Taleweaver wrote:As strange as that may sound, I recommend scanning http://www.fanfiction.net/ for what you're looking for. Fifty Shades of Grey started as a Twilight fanfiction, and you won't find more gay romance anywhere than in fanfiction.
However, abandon hope all ye who enter here. A majority of it horribly written, but once in a blue moon you'll find one that neither defies the laws of nature or one that dosen't turn the bottom into anweak, blushing idiot who can't do shit for himself.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#4 Post by Anarchy »

Ooooooh are we talking about gay romance fanfic now? Definitely check out Tread Softly, one of the best-written HP slash fics ever. The prose is absolutely gorgeous.

I've also heard lots of good things about The Shoebox Project. You can find the whole thing as a PDF here. It features both a het couple (James/Lily) and a gay couple (Remus/Sirius) though, so if you don't like het that might be a problem. Otherwise, I hear it's a really realistic, heartwarming, funny, in-depth exploration of the Marauders and their relationships, so yeah. Check it out.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by DaFool »

I think that first post is spam. One that doesn't have Nike, Ipads only $50 missing from it's (yes, it's a robot) signature.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

I'm still giving it the benefit of the doubt.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

MJDAlleria
Regular

#7 Post by MJDAlleria »

Anarchy wrote:Tread Softly
Hmm... I'm going to check that out.

Have you ever read about To Kill you with a Kiss?
It's a fine read itself (nods)

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#8 Post by ebi brain »

Hope it's okay to ask here..

Does anyone know about (paper/tangible:p) good books that explore same sex relationships/themes? ( also, nothing specifically erotic, just slice of life stuff)?
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

Zylinder
Veteran

#9 Post by Zylinder »

I've been something of a slash/MM nut lately, so I can only speak from that side of the field. You'll be surprised how many LGBT authors publish paperback copies of their books though - pretty much every author that's moderately/quite well-known among the circle have paperbacks published, so you have plenty to choose from. Now onto recommendations...

Here's a brilliant list, newly compelled where some authors have gathered up the favs of the genre.

Goodreads is where I'll recommend you to do some look-see for your own personal likes. It's a bit hard to differentiate between Erotica and the more serious works at first, but if you have an account and you start adding the books you like, the site does the rest of the work for you. Most of the time, the reviews also tell you what you need to know. Don't bother with the ratings; they're jacked up by die-hard fans who five-star everything halfway readable even when it's mediocre.

And here's a list for the most humorous LGBT books.

Most of those aren't so sex-centric, and they have the bonus points of being super funny. I've read Almost Like Being in Love by Steve Kluger (which was amazing, and I'd recommend it) and a few others on the list. Perils of Praline is VERY sex-centric but very funny, while some like Hard Tail and Muscling Through shouldn't even be on the list since they're not meant to be funny in any way. The reviews will tell you what you need to watch out for.

I'll throw in a few recommendations of mine, keeping in mind that you like slice of life:
Almost Like Being in Love by Steve Kluger
Gillibran Brown's journals, of which this is the first.

You can read some of Gilli's stuff at his website here too, to see what he's like.

Okay, I'll stop babbling now, or I'll have something to say about most of the list. Those links should help you start out! C:

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#10 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I'm straight, but I kind of find LGBT literature interesting. Thank you for these links, Zylinder! :) I think I'd do a book hunt for the New Year for these works (if any bookstore sells these, that is, you know, media board and all)~

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#11 Post by ebi brain »

Wow thanks Zylinder!

I think your list will keep me busy for quite some time :D

What's mm/slash though?
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#12 Post by Hijiri »

ebi brain wrote:What's mm/slash though?
MM/slash is shorthand for "gay sex story" though it can also just mean "Gay romance story" depending on who is using it, and what's its rating.

Shameful confession: The first thing I ever wrote as a writer was a slash fic Orz
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Zylinder
Veteran

#13 Post by Zylinder »

I've personally never seen any at the local book stores myself... Which isn't surprising, considering that I've seen articles openly denouncing LGBT people as 'unfit to rule the country' and Obama subtly implied to be wrong for supporting LGBT people on the mainstream newspaper in my country. Hell, I'll be surprised if gay anything made it through the censor board.

I think about the only way to get them will be through online ordering. Most of those books are available through Amazon, and I often see them go on for dirt cheap prices. And if you're feeling miserly and have a smartphone, you can always get the e-book versions~