Why so many unfinished VN?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

Why so many unfinished VN?

#1 Post by ririruetoo »

When I first came to lemmasoft I used to stalk the WIP's constantly, but I came to the realization later that very very few of them were being completed. Some would have amazing premises, artwork, or even demos. Then, gradually, they would drop off the face of the Earth due to 'lack of time management' or 'real life issues.' But it really just the case? Are there really just thousands of people on the forum with time management problems? Of course I understand about RL issues, I've had quite a few while working on my current projects, but they pass with time. If you put so much into something, why would you ever not want to finish it? It just seems to me theres a problem with creators actually finishing VNs.
ImageImageImage

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Why so many unfinished VN?

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

ririruetoo wrote:Are there really just thousands of people on the forum with time management problems?
Yes.

Or rather, there are many, many people who

1) for their very first project try to bite off more than they can chew
2) heavily underestimate the work they have to do for a VN
3) during production, find out they don't have the skills to do all they had planned and neither want to devote the time to learn these skills nor have the heart to release something less than they were planning to
4) have people critical to the project (artist, programmer...) drop out from their team
5) find out their project is coming out less impressive than they thought it would and decide to just quit

While Ren'Py can and does produce quick results, making things look good actually requires effort. I believe this is what most people don't seem to understand when announcing their radical, 300,000 word, fifty-five ending, nineteen character dating sim VN in production here.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#3 Post by Greeny »

PROTIP: Aim for 90,000 words. Settle for 60,000.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Lishy »

My VN is still in progress, don't worry. It's just it takes time for a single person to do so much writing.

The creator of earthbound said something along the lines of "A bad game released is a bad game forever."

Be patient! :)
-

destiny_921
Regular
Completed: Closure [KN]
Projects: The Universal Hope (writer, WIP)

#5 Post by destiny_921 »

What Taleweaver said is true. I'm working on my first VN - and I'm using all free resources. Plus, I'm doing everything (coding, editing, writing..etc) all by myself. My story seems simple and straightforward, but I can already tell that the story-line is going to be long, despite having only two obtainable characters. Post-completion, depending on the responses, I may do an extended version. Fear not, my VN WILL be one of those which joins the Completed thread.
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try”
– Dr. Seuss

::Completed:: Closure (KN)
::WIPs:: The Universal Hope

::Misc::
Writing Guide

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#6 Post by fleet »

Some folks stop when they get no response or non-constructive criticism to their WIP thread or demo
Last edited by fleet on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#7 Post by teacup »

Because making a VN is hard. D:
Everything Taleweaver said is the truth.
I tend not to get very excited about WIP threads anymore. Usually I just think, 'oh, that looks cool. Too bad it will never get released'. A bit negative, but it's been true for 90% of cases. ^^;
Also I found that posting in the WIP thread can cause quite a bit of pressure. When so many people are asking when your game will come out, having huge expectations, and critiquing various things, it becomes overwhelming. Or alternatively, getting very few comments on your WIP can be very discouraging and make you want to give up.
Sometimes I think the WIP forum is not always good. That's why I just keep most of my progress to myself now and am planning an unexpected ninja release in the future. :)

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#8 Post by dramspringfeald »

The Simple answer is, Do to our ADHD we get distracted Easily.

**Interesting fact~ Almost All programmers are ADHD do to the constant change of things it grabs out attention.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#9 Post by sake-bento »

There are a lot of reasons, and you did hit on a few. One of the big things is that as making VNs is largely a hobby for most of us, we don't "have" to finish, and there are usually more important things going on in life like school, work, or even other hobbies.

I think there's also the fact that the creator might lose interest. There are a lot of shows, books, even genres that I used to love, and now I'm only somewhat interested in them. Maybe when I started this project I was really into space operas, but my interest has since waned. I'd rather go off and spend time on my newer interests than force myself to work on a space opera VN that I don't enjoy.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#10 Post by Donmai »

teacup wrote:Because making a VN is hard. D:
Everything Taleweaver said is the truth.
Well, I think teacup said it all!

I've just finished my first VN. One thing I would add to Taleweaver's list is what happened to me: I started a simple project but, as I worked on it, it began to evolve into a not-so-simple project anymore! I was in love with the story and the characters, and got carried away! I had to "pull the plug" and stop when I had a good chance! I think this is one of the dangers of working solo! :)
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#11 Post by Destiny »

Well, Taleweaver hit the most important ones, but there is also truth to sake-bentos claim.

There are just also factors outside of creating a VN.
School, work, family, friends, politics, money, etc.

I for instance haven't worked on my VN since octobre and won't work on it till around octobre next year.
Simply because I'm doing my exam right now and will leave my country for an exchange term in april.
I don't have the time. I don't have the nerves (I'm already happy, if I get my university stuff done without considering my exam).

There are also people that simply get bored of it.
Or that suddenly get another great idea that would be EVEN BETTER. Which will later be overruled by a EVEN BETTER BETTER idea. And so on.

Thing is simply that nobody here seriously does that for a living. Nobody here is employee of some company where you have to arrive at 8am and work till 5pm. We all do this in our free time.
Some are able to finish theirs. Others just sooner or later forget about them or abadon them for various reasons. Some finish them more or less, but just upload them and live with the result (

But be honest:
There are surely games that you once bought and never finished, right?
Simply because they were cool back then, but aren't now. Or because you realized that it isn't the game you really wanted. Or because it is a lot harder then what you expected.
It's pretty much the same.
Last edited by Destiny on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#12 Post by ririruetoo »

This is all very true. I was just curious at the seemingly huge supply of WIP yet very little in the way of Completed. Whenever I go to look at WIP (not often, but sometimes) theres always that little voice that says, 'ooh you would love to play this! Too bad it will never be finished.' I suppose there are the few lucky exceptions though that do get completed, but they are few and far between.
ImageImageImage

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#13 Post by SundownKid »

The majority of hobbyists never actually finish their work, be it video games or this. That's because you either need a sizable team or a lot of skill and dedication to finish something like this. Most people can't invest any money in it and then realize their idea is out of their scope or would require more time than they're willing to invest. Unlike a book, to make it look presentable means good art, music, GUI design, etc...

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#14 Post by LVUER »

My very first VN (and the only finished VN that I work alone, the rest is collab) is for NaNoRenO event. Perhaps because we have strict deadline, I have to make do with whatever I have and so managed to finish it. Without strict limitation, we tend to go overboard and never finish it as the result (especially for the first-timers).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#15 Post by FatUnicornGames »

My VN is slow going, but still being worked on. The artist is just really busy right now. We are hoping to get the first chapter done as a demo and try to get a Kickstarter to pay him. If that doesn't work then it could take longer, but it IS getting done.
Last edited by FatUnicornGames on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-