I had this weird dream

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

I had this weird dream

#1 Post by papillon »

I dreamed I got this huge brochure in the mail as an advertisement plus personal invitation to a Ren'Py convention. Being held on Py'Toms _family estate_ in Ireland. (I don't remember if there was a castle or not. Possibly.)

As I don't even use RenPy, my brain apparently came up with the idea that I was being invited as an artist (hah) and I was being requested to draw lots of pictures of men and a bunch of h-scenes to be used to create short games at the convention!

Silly silly dreambrain... :)

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#2 Post by Counter Arts »

Heh heh heh... be careful...

There was a great many famous VNs that had "Dreams" as themes. AIR, Kanon, Tsukihime in a sense if you know who Len is...

Dreams are the strength behind the grand VNs we all know and love.

It sounds like your dream was an interesting dream to say the least. I have seen many dreams come true. A ren'py convention? I'd say that would be well within possiblily. Maybe not exactly a ren'py convention but one very close to a VN one.

While I speak in jest... don't be surprised if something interesting happens.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#3 Post by mikey »

The Forum has you. 8)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: I had this weird dream

#4 Post by PyTom »

papillon wrote:Py'Toms _family estate_ in Ireland. (I don't remember if there was a castle or not. Possibly.)
My family isn't the sort that had family estates in Ireland. My family was the sort that left for the US after being caught poaching during the potato famine. (True.)

Although, I'm thinking that if I did have a family estate, I'd so want a castle.
As I don't even use RenPy, my brain apparently came up with the idea that I was being invited as an artist (hah) and I was being requested to draw lots of pictures of men and a bunch of h-scenes to be used to create short games at the convention!
When we hold the english-language VN convention, we'll invite you to give a talk on VN-making for "fun and profit... especially profit".
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Misuzu
Regular

#5 Post by Misuzu »

Oh oh! I want to be a guest speaker at such a convention! =D
Pick me! Pick me! xD

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

Come to think, barely a century or two ago, there was hardly such a thing called the "middle class". Everyone was either a worker or a lord. By tracing family names, I discovered that it seems my father's family was of a much lower class than I expected, and my mother's family was much higher, since during Spanish occupation they changed the family names of whomever they can, but the 'nobles' during that time stuck to their guns so their names weren't changed. Perhaps this can be similarly applied to immigration and how closely a family name most resembles its roots.

That being said, I want a castle too :D

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

Papillon, a question for you, and I'm not asking you to disclose sales figures...but

Which sell more at Hanako Games, gameplay-based or story-based?

Thank you.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#8 Post by papillon »

My data won't be much use to you - I don't have a lot of games, and I'm working entirely on my own, and my skill level - not to mention investment level - makes huge changes between them.

It's pretty obvious that Cute Knight is my smash hit, it's the one that got all over the portals. OTOH, I *refused* to put Summer Schoolgirls onto the portals, even though it's the second-best seller on my site. It's too short and the character designs are heavily 'inspired' by my favorite anime. It's NOT what I want to try and push to the public as their great breakthrough english VN. (And portals don't sell $10 games generally - it would be thoroughly unfair to price that game at $20 in my opinion.) It sold enough copies to give me the idea that doing a VN *right* (if budget is kept low) will work out, and that's all it was for.

Story-based takes a lot longer to make though. After FH I'm not sure I'll have the energy to do a full one of these ever again... :)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by DaFool »

Yup, I realized how much more you can get away with gameplay-based.
With gameplay, you can easily stretch entertainment time.

Sorry, going OT...
I mean I'm looking at Magical Boutique right now...just one well-done BG and 2 well-done sprites later, and the whole thing looks so professional-level already. Try doing that for a kinetic novel...and it will take forever, even if it does get completed. And then people will read it once...and then that's it. That is one of my motivations for hybrid gameplays for the Great English Visual Novel...barring nothing catastrophic happening that will make me sane.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

DaFool : Can't we have this as a surprise? :P... Gnn~. I had a cool idea for a picture too ^^;...

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by DaFool »

Uh, leaked already here: :D :D :D

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 8&start=15

Come on, I'm building hype. :D

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by DaFool »

Ok ok, how about this:

I had a weird dream that two of the most highest-posting members of this forum actually finished a game! (sadly, all those demos you made do not count :( ) So we're not all talk, yes?

If I'm starting to get annoying, you can hire a virtual thug to come to my place and give me a virtual beating

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#13 Post by PyTom »

DaFool wrote: That is one of my motivations for hybrid gameplays for the Great English Visual Novel
Isn't this something of an oxymoron? In much the same way that the Great American Novel can't be a movie?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by DaFool »

That was not my intention, but yes, you can consider it that way.

DaFool speaketh in riddles.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#15 Post by Blue Lemma »

DaFool wrote:Yup, I realized how much more you can get away with gameplay-based.
With gameplay, you can easily stretch entertainment time.
You've discovered the secret of Hanafuda Club! :shock: :wink:

Hmm, PyTom Castle in Ireland... I bet it would have a nice big moat and huge laser cannons for guarding against.... stuff... :P (He just likes weapons)