Not sure what I want to call this, but . . .

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
littlenaturedeity

Not sure what I want to call this, but . . .

#1 Post by littlenaturedeity »

Recently I've been thinking about making a visual novel/dating sim type yuri game, but for lesbians. Like, I haven't been able to find many Yuri visual novels that don't over-sexualize lesbian relationships and, being a lesbian who enjoys visual novels myself, it's a bit disappointing. I don't really have very much confidance in my art, so I'd like someone who could help me with that. Same goes for the music. I'm very good at writing, though, and I'm good at basic python programming. Of course, I'd love to see what kind of ideas you all have for the story, as I'm still not entirely sure what the plot and characters and whatnot should be like as of yet!

In any case, feel free to reply with ideas and stuff!!

Funnyguts
Veteran

Re: Not sure what I want to call this, but . . .

#2 Post by Funnyguts »

So you want to make a game that just has one person who happens to be a girl fall in love with another person that happens to be a girl? Or do you want the yuri relationship to be something that can only exist between two women, whatever that may be?

littlenaturedeity

#3 Post by littlenaturedeity »

Funnyguts wrote:So you want to make a game that just has one person who happens to be a girl fall in love with another person that happens to be a girl? Or do you want the yuri relationship to be something that can only exist between two women, whatever that may be?
Well, I guess I was thinking something kinda like your standard BxG visual novel, but with a female protaganist, and a somewhat more serious storyline that would maybe touch upon some things actual lesbians might have to go through, like issues with society and whatnot.

Funnyguts
Veteran

#4 Post by Funnyguts »

I guess a few questions you could ask yourself about the game:
1) What's the setting? What kind of world do the characters live in, and how does it affect who they are?
2) How many dateable girls will be available for the protagonist to have a chance to romance?
3) What's missing from the player character's life that would be best filled by a relationship with another woman?
4) What's going on in the PC's life that has nothing to do with relationships, but is still something she has to deal with?

littlenaturedeity

#5 Post by littlenaturedeity »

Funnyguts wrote:I guess a few questions you could ask yourself about the game:
1) What's the setting? What kind of world do the characters live in, and how does it affect who they are?
2) How many dateable girls will be available for the protagonist to have a chance to romance?
3) What's missing from the player character's life that would be best filled by a relationship with another woman?
4) What's going on in the PC's life that has nothing to do with relationships, but is still something she has to deal with?
Oh, that's a good suggestion! I'm not really sure at the moment, but I'll definitely be sure to think about all that!

Funnyguts
Veteran

#6 Post by Funnyguts »

You can always PM me and ask for any advice, I'm always happy to talk about yuri things! For now, take your time and get an idea of what your game is about, beyond GxG. Since this is your first game, you should probably keep it simple, with maybe 15-20,000 words maximum, and no more than two dateable girls for the player to decide between. Once you get the hang of it, try larger projects.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by gekiganwing »

littlenaturedeity wrote:Oh, that's a good suggestion! I'm not really sure at the moment, but I'll definitely be sure to think about all that!
Be sure to take some time to think about what you plan to write. I say this because with a premise such as "story of two women in love" or perhaps "lesbian/bisexual love triangle," there are many possibilities. If you're okay with TVTropes (...and the website's addictive qualities...), then read their topic on how to write a love story. There's a number of other useful writings there, such as a discussion on how to create a visual novel.

Once you've sorted out your plans, you may benefit from giving yourself a deadline (such as "finish short story in 30-45 days"). This forum has a thirty-day challenge every March called Nanoreno, but if you want to compel yourself to create a VN in a short period of time, you certainly don't have to wait until then.