HTML5 engine that can handle interactive video?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

HTML5 engine that can handle interactive video?

#1 Post by DaFool »

I'm looking for a game engine or framework that can make FMV CYOA (Full Motion Video - Choose Your Own Adventure) "games" for the web. Something like youtube but interactive.

I'm not sure if I should be looking at Webstory engine, from what I've read it's not yet fully fleshed out. Proprietary engines / tools are fine with me, as long as they work easily out of the box. I hear Multimedia Fusion will feature HTML5 export soon. Methinks I should just suck it up and use an Adobe product, I've only recently discovered Animate which recently got out of Beta, I think.

I've reached a point where just making a separate video for GOOD PATH and BAD PATH is simpler than heavy customizing. Event CGs will just be portrayed as overcooked motion comics and After Effects timed to voice overs. It shouldn't be too bad if each video segment will be only 2-5 minutes long. This might be the preferred method for me to tell basic stories, leaving Ren'Py for games with RPG elements or other aspects that need mathematical programming.

Just one of my projects or anything I can do so I can continue to procrastinate scripting ATL commands. No need to try to impress with programming prowess if the end result ("animation") should look the same. What is saved in megabytes of space is a lot of wasted time.

Funnyguts
Veteran

Re: HTML5 engine that can handle interactive video?

#2 Post by Funnyguts »

People have already made interactive games that are FMV (or can be) using a bunch of different Youtube videos, and smart use of the annotation feature. Just pause the video when the player needs to make a choice, and include links to other videos in a few annotations. Each video becomes its own part of the route the player's chosen.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: HTML5 engine that can handle interactive video?

#3 Post by DaFool »

I've heard of annotations, didn't know it's been a feature for so long, and the way they are demonstrated in the tutorials makes me think why I don't see more CYOA's using Youtube.

I mean, you can literally rip Let's Plays of tons of VNs, and synchronize the annotations to appear when the menu choices are supposed to prompt the user.

No need for complex text features like rollback/fast forward (just click on the video progress bar). In addition, you can have choices with time limits -- don't click on the annotation, and the video will conclude with a Bad End.

What I'm looking at is an HTML5 system that's more flexible with the potential to add more complex gameplay, but yes, this will definitely do in the meantime, thanks.