The [X] Story [Non-romance] [Mystery//thriller]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
mirelle
Regular
Projects: The Story of X
Organization: Vocamania

The [X] Story [Non-romance] [Mystery//thriller]

#1 Post by mirelle »

(This post will be updated as the development progresses)

About:
This VN Project is based on this creepy interactive novel.

Story:
A band of friends, connected through their Hangout place known as the Spamelot Cafe, were thrown into chaos
at one fateful night. Someone is throwing every single member of the group into separated places- places which
are very far from openly welcoming them.
While suspicions arise between and the shadow of death not so far away, a choice, if not many choices, had to
be made, for the sake of survival.

Features:
1.) Indulge in a board game styled map and survive through the three different areas with different rulesets.
2.) Choose your preferred protagonist- each with a different plot adhering to the main goal!
3.) Play your style, either being a nice, caring friend or a solitary person who leaves behind blood trails.

Characters:

Pear:

your common neighborhood Pear... not. Pear is Pear and prefers to be called as Pear.
More than often she is a hyper, slightly nonsensical girl dreaming of a paradise where
she can eat pears all she wants and the company of her prince in a white horse. Pear
often acts on impulse and pays minimal attention to those around her. this causes
massive headaches not only her friends but also anyone involved with her, but this
side of her also brings a sprinkle of optimism whenever things really get on the stressful
side.

Neko

Usually silent in nature, it's hard to pump a word out of her if you don't have a
close relationship with her. She's pretty timid and tends to back out from crowd.
she usually relies on her older brother to protect her, but when she found herself
all alone in a place she doesn't recognize, nothing can possibly help her...

Image]

Shizu
A worker in the Spamelot Cafe and a member of the circle, he enjoys teasing
Michelle, a frequenter, even though others admit that he had been crossing
the line over and over again. He seemed to be ignoring these warnings though.
He's not a believer of supernatural things and runs his mind by common logic.

He's in a relationship with Mirelle.

Kiyorin
Kiyorin is someone of a very outgoing personality. She has a motherly side
to her, trying to protect her friends from things that are potentially dangerous.
She's easily shocked and can be naive at times.

Mirelle
yesit'smyusername
Not the nicest girl in the bunch, she can be snarky most of the time but tends
to be a lot softer around people she knows very well. Has traits of a typical
Tsundere, but actively denies it.

Unlike Shizu, her boyfriend, who believes in logic, mirelle tends to believe
and is interested in things leaning to the supernatural side.

[the remaining characters' sprites are in progress or have not been made yet.]

Infelia

A strange girl found in one of the alternate worlds.... she seemed to be helping
Elise (who found her) to escape, but was there an ulterior motive...?

"Screenshot"
as you can see, because of... ehm, laziness, the background is a framed 8-bit RPG-Maker style map.

Staff:
Gorou-Kun (Story)
mirelle (scriptwriting & art)
kiyorin (art)
Cardioid (Programmer)

Progress:
Sprites: 20%
Story Writings
School Chapter:
concept: 100% done
main plot: 50%
branches :25%
script in ren'py: 15%

Mansion Chapter:
concept: 70%
main plot: 10%
branches: 0%
script in ren'py: 0%

???:
???

CG: not planned yet.
Last edited by mirelle on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.
[[The X Story]]
Discover the hidden truth within-- but be reminded that more often than not, curiosity kills the cat.
lurking here as a representative of the team~

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: The [X] Story; Horror game.

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Your premise sounds fairly similar to Corpse Party. This is not necessarily good or bad. But please let us know what will make your gameplay and story distinct. Tell us more about your cast, your setting, and how the story and/or gameplay will work.

mirelle
Regular

#3 Post by mirelle »

I.... just contacted the story-maker about that, orz. That was a big shock after seeing how similiar the script was.
The things I'm pretty sure of is that There's no HP system like they have on Corpse Party, which means wrong decisions will net instant deaths.
I. will. settle this. with him.

about the cast descriptions, I'll do that when I get home, since I'm currently residing at my cousin's place. (And the bad keyboard is killing my sanity...)
[[The X Story]]
Discover the hidden truth within-- but be reminded that more often than not, curiosity kills the cat.

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#4 Post by Michiyo6918 »

Ah... Geki is one step ahead of me haha. I've read through the game's thread and was pretty surprised at how similar the two stories were. The girl who died and got dragged on the floor, her friend committed suicide after finding that out. (they remind me of Naomi and Saiko)

Hmp... I'm pretty sure there is no HP system in Corspe Party uvu; as far as I'd played it. All the wrong choice will result you in a "Wrong ending" where you got an important character that should be alive died or lost track of the main story. (longest wrong ending I ever seen... But I fancy it this way with no instant dead/surprise dead that leaves me confused "what the heck just happened??")

I would suggest you to either change the setting or the bare bone of the story, make it distinguish from Corspe Party. Oh, and I have one more question.... Is it going to be visual novel or RPG game (that may or may not have visual novel effect)?
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

mirelle
Regular

#5 Post by mirelle »

I am sorry for the late reply, had to discuss the gameplay base with the others and all.
And finally we found something that might be a good distinguisher with Corpse Party.
In the story there will be different areas, not just the school, with different characters to meet. And they have their own rules- disobeying the rules will bring out bad events (even death) to the player.

Players will move around sections of an area in a board-game styled map- a dice is rolled to determine how far a player can go in a certain in-game time.
For example, in the school staying in the hallway during class period (each hour and 20 mins after) is prohibited. If the player stays in the map (hallway) during that time, something will appear and chase at you full-speed. If you get caught, game over.

Other than that, landing on special tiles might give you trivial information, reveal the contents of mysterious doors, or extend the time limit so you can go further inside the area. some tiles might give you negative effects, it may temporarily hide descriptions, skip a certain amount of time, et cetera.

The in-room events and gameplay works like a normal visual novel, with character-specific events and whatnot.
[[The X Story]]

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

Really, it doesn't matter if the script or premise is similar. Don't let that discourage you and keep going. Even if it's similar, it could be different later... even if it's wholly similar, story doesn't make a game... a game, there are plenty of other factors. Screw originality, there's no such things nowadays.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

mirelle
Regular

#7 Post by mirelle »

@Geki and Michiyo I watched a playthrough on Corpse Party- I think we might have been talking about different versions hahahahah :'D I was referring to the pc-98 version.

@LVUER thanks for the encouragement! I'm not planning to stop this :3

also, updated the first post quite a bit. Read up if you may :D

current status:

Code: Select all

The game contains 349 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 2,204 words,
for an average of 6.3 words per screen.
The game contains 11 menus.
that's not including the 500 words waiting to be thrown inside... ~w~
[[The X Story]]

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: The [X] Story [Non-romance] [Mystery//thriller]

#8 Post by azureXtwilight »

Just wanna tell you that I'm watching this thread like a hawk. I like the corpse party series, and the art is cute as well :3

MarineScripter
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi
Organization: Oceanic Eden Productions

#9 Post by MarineScripter »

What story this VN may be similar to doesn't matter to me at all. Overall, it looks fairly interesting and the sprites look nice.

If you think about it, the story could be similar to many, many, things, but so long as you pull it off well, it'll be a great game.

mirelle
Regular

#10 Post by mirelle »

added link to the nightly builds for those who are interested. be careful that these builds uses the forum usernames and hence might make no sense!
[[The X Story]]

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#11 Post by tiya_nofurita »

I love dark, and creepy story. I'm going to follow this thread. So don't let my expectation drop out. Te heee heeeee :lol:
p.s : I love the sprites and GUI so far :mrgreen:
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

mirelle
Regular

#12 Post by mirelle »

After a debate of mixed opinions about character names, we decided to just stick with the forum usernames. Some of them are downright silly or weird, just for a warning.

also, released a short demo in case anyone is interested.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 45&t=20131
[[The X Story]]