The Silent Maiden

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mokenju1
Regular

The Silent Maiden

#1 Post by mokenju1 »

My second renpy game. I think it's finished but... I have the feeling that I'm forgetting something as always.
Attachments
The Silent Maiden.zip
(17.37 MiB) Downloaded 7919 times
The Silent Maiden-linux-x86.tar.bz2
(16.85 MiB) Downloaded 736 times
The Silent Maiden-mac.zip
(17.05 MiB) Downloaded 1744 times
Last edited by mokenju1 on Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Finished Projects: "Host Love", "The Silent Maiden", "The Worthy Bride" and "The Wandering Child"
Currently working on: "The Smiling Lady", "The intruder","Cassandra's Knight" and "Cinderella's choice"
Unfinished Projects: "Dear Friend, Secret Lover"

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by DaFool »

Whoa, that was fast...the W.I.P. thread only started Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:32 am

And since Host Love was 'officially' finished around Feb 9, this makes this game a NaNoRenO winner if it had been started a month later.

Wow!

EDIT: OMG...Industrial Revolution, turn of the century. Nice style! It really fits well.
You might want to find another old photo for the title screen that captures the feel. But wait until more comments filter through, it seems pretty smooth so far.

mokenju1
Regular

#3 Post by mokenju1 »

Thanks Dafool :D . But I don't make art or original music for the game, so people who make all the game by themselves (with or without a team) are the real winners.

I'll try to find a nice photograph for the main menu as you suggested but it's difficult because many of them look really bad at a 800x600 size. In fact, I have some doubts about some of the backgrounds of the game because they look... strange :roll: .

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

Hmmm...the game was shorter than I expected, but its ok.

Regarding title menu photograph, since they look bad at 800x600, why not get all the photographs and make a collage? You can apply some old wear n tear filters to them, then make it look like a scrapbook. Then put the title of the game spelled using some antique font.

mokenju1
Regular

#5 Post by mokenju1 »

Umm... Make a collage it's a good idea. Although with my photoshop skills who knows what could be the result of this... :lol:

And I have a little idea for a sequel but it could be integrated fairly well in this game (Although it's only an excuse to give Ashton more "screen time" because I love writing about him. :twisted: )

Ignosco
Veteran

#6 Post by Ignosco »

Congratulations :)

mokenju1
Regular

#7 Post by mokenju1 »

Thanks Ignosco :wink: .

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

Are we still waiting for last-minute fixups (such as title screen), or this safe to declare as complete?

mokenju1
Regular

#9 Post by mokenju1 »

I'm still working in the title screen and some transitions. I would have ended it by now if I was not also working in the script of the NaNoRenO entry. I knew I had to wait to finish one game before starting the script of another, I knew it... :roll:

mokenju1
Regular

#10 Post by mokenju1 »

So after thousands of proves I have made the lamest title screen and transitions :lol: . But believe me, the photoshop collage was still worse...
Last edited by mokenju1 on Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Finished Projects: "Host Love", "The Silent Maiden", "The Worthy Bride" and "The Wandering Child"
Currently working on: "The Smiling Lady", "The intruder","Cassandra's Knight" and "Cinderella's choice"
Unfinished Projects: "Dear Friend, Secret Lover"

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#11 Post by Recca Phoenix »

Original idea, very interesting.

mokenju1
Regular

#12 Post by mokenju1 »

Thanks for playing and making a comment, Recca :) .

Mr. E
Regular

#13 Post by Mr. E »

I've played your game, and liked it! Maybe it's because I have a bias for Victorian-era stuff, but I loved the atmosphere of your game. It actually felt very Victorian! Of course the images helped. The backgrounds were good, I felt that the old photograph look fit the game very well. The portraits took some time to getting used to, but the characters really looked like the way they were portrayed, so it's fine. The music also fit well. The story was a very good mistery, and it had an supernatural feeling all over it...
...Even though in the end it is entirely realistic and has no outside beings involved. When it came the time to choose a suspect I got it right on my first try, since I had a suspicion that she loved him more than just family-like. I had a difficult time getting there though, and this is my complaint about the game. (Of course, I have to be nitpicky, haven't I?*Sigh* :( ) Although you give enough evidence about who is the culprit (by the way, the amount of clues was just right, not too much and not too little) finding the path to the final decision is very difficult, and the choices don't make much sense until you've played through the game long enough, which can be quite frustrating... And there are many choices throughout the game, which is both good and bad, given the thing I just mentioned. But don't let that spoil the review. This was a great game and I really enjoyed the challange, even though I had to run in the dark for a while. :D
So congratulations on your release, Monkeju! (And it was a really quick release too... I'm impressed!) And thanks for mentioning the source of the pictures. It will help me a great deal, since I am doing a Victorian Era game myself! :twisted:

mokenju1
Regular

#14 Post by mokenju1 »

Thanks for your review Mr.E :D . I'm glad you liked it, about the choices:
I had doubts when I was designing the game about the possibility of dead ens. At one hand, it's frustating for the player to know the solution ,but not get the "right end" of the game. At the other you have to take in consideration if you want to make a realistic game or not. In real life you can't talk with a person anytime you want and you can't ask her/him a hundred questions and she/he is going to be just there to patiently answer you. I mean that person has his own life, too :lol: . And if you want to go somewhere to find a clue,it's not probably going to be waiting there for you although you wait four or five days to go there. In real life when you make choices you also don't know what is going to happen next and if you are doing the right thing or not, it's not like in your mind it appears a game menu that says "Go to the park to meet the girl" "Stay at home where Mr.X is going to call me".

But I also know that a game is not real life, so people is used to change her/his way of thinking when playing a game. And that is more true in a mistery game where the player is supposed to be a "private eye", so he expects to have to use the logic to make the choices.

Like all things in life the virtue is in the right proportion, I suppose that a well designed game has to be realistic ( if it was designed to be realistic of course) and not frustating but challenging to the player. A player doesn't really care about replaying a game if he "lost", if the game is enough interesting for him. If not he probably would say something like "That's crap, I'm tired of replaying it again and again. How bad designed is this...". And he would probably be right.

So If you had that feeling that means I have to work a lot harder next time 8) .
And good luck with your game :wink: . I'm sure you'll find lots of good photographs in that site. I spent a hard time choosing a few of them for my game (all of them were so beautiful :o )

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#15 Post by mikey »

I liked what I saw so far, but I want to make some time to play it properly - in any case, when the game will be final in the new Vista-compatible Ren'Py, will we have the permission to host it on the RAA?

It doesn't have drawn character graphics, but I think it fits into the current scope, as it's a very classical approach to the narrative, structure and overall presentation.