[Ren'Py] Pokémon Dating Sim V1.0 Alpha

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ayutac
Regular
Projects: Pokémon Dating Sim
Organization: A Breeze Of Science
Deviantart: Ubro

[Ren'Py] Pokémon Dating Sim V1.0 Alpha

#1 Post by Ayutac »

And here I am with the promised Dating Sim! First off, I hope you guys don't mind that I write the same thread for the other board and this one.

So, what is happening? You (the player) are gymleader Brock (the protagonist) and – as we all know – a single like no other. But you get a big opportunity when the Pokémon Association announces the very first WORLD TOURNAMENT! There'll be a lot of trainers and due to statistics also a lot of girls, so while you see no chance in competing in the tournament (because a lot of other strong trainers will be there, e.g. the champs of the regions), you will take the chance to finally get a girlfriend! Because of the around 400 contestands from around the globe the tournament lasts a whole month and that is your time limit to use your charm (as well as strength, intelligence and skills) on the island where the tournament is hold. Good luck!

ImageImageImage

[CREDITS]
Inspired by Emerald07
Game Design - Sebastian "Ayutac" Koch
Plot Writing - Sebastian "Ayutac" Koch
Character Writing:
Misty - Sebastian "Ayutac" Koch
Sapphire - Gero "Myrrhion" Büßing
Cynthia - Cazicon
Character Tracing:
Misty - Sebastian "Ayutac" Koch
Sapphire - Gero "Myrrhion" Büßing
Cynthia - Sebastian "Ayutac" Koch
Item Tracing - Sebastian "Ayutac" Koch
Background Images - provided by morguefile.com
Programming - Sebastian "Ayutac" Koch
Music - provided by The Ghoul alias partyghoul2000

Special Thanks To:
the members of the lemma soft forums for their help with programming issues

Programs of Choice:
Ren'Py V 6.14 for the actual game
jEdit for writing the source code
InkScape for tracing Characters and Items
GIMP for olifying the Background Images
SoundConverter (on Lubuntu) for converting the music files to .ogg

© 2002-2013 Pokémon. © 1995-2013 Nintendo/Creatures Inc./GAME FREAK inc. TM, ® and Pokémon character names are trademarks of Nintendo. / © 1997-2013 TV Tokyo, ShoPro, JR Kikaku / © 1997-2013 Pikachu Records

No copyright infriction was intended. This game can be downloaded and played free of charge. If you paid for the contents of this game in any way, you were ripped off. In this case, or if you want to contact the developers, please write to sos.nait@googlemail.com.
[/CREDITS]

Download and play the game! By the way, this is the Alpha Version, it is almost completely untested, through I hope you won't get to much error messages. If you do, please report them here. Also, this game is safe for work, as save as playing a Pokémon Dating Sim at work can be.

Known bugs: - Save/Load does not works perfectly. After saving your game, you have to start a new game and then load your saved progress. Loading from the main screen will cause an error.

It has been exactly a year since I've started documenting this projects (and judging from the idea thread a little bit more since the idea came to me out of boredom). It is written in Ren'Py and Python, where Ren'Py is a visual novel engine written in Python itself, thus the high compatibility. Besides some minor things, the game is a pretty standart Dating Sim, so you build up your stats and conform the girls to get them to like you. But a Pokémon Dating Sim (to date girls) did not really exist up until now (except the links posted in the idea thread). And I programmed it: As a programmer, my goal was to keep the programming as general as possible, so that it is extendable. I did good. In fact, on this point of development I'm already satisfied because if I would give out the source code, people could use it to create their own (not necessarily Pokémon) Dating Sim with little effort. Except for the fact that I won't at this point of time, because there are sure some bugs left AND two, three code designing decisions have to be changed.

Up to now, we have 3 dateable girls, which are Misty, Sapphire and Cynthia. Now the magic: As long as you provide me with a vector image of her and/or her lines in the game (which would be specified in my development board as soon as someone says he/she wants to do it), I'll add any (Pokémon) girl you want. Image/Lines can come from different persons, you don't have to do both. As soon as I have both, she'll be added. However, there is one restriction. It would be stupid if two people would do the same things for a character independent of each other, so that one who claims a part first, get this one. But since the work could be done on one free day alone and since I don't want to wait / block a character for others forever, it should be done within a month before I set the character free again. I'm also going to make a vector tutorial within the next month because despite the tracing itself it easy I have to make sure people trace the girls in a way we can easily change details. Meanwhile I've learned my way of tracing is probably not the way everybody would go on a first try.
See also.

By the way, battling is (of course) possible, but it is not the main component and by now it is only a coin toss.

As I mentioned, I'm the programmer and the organisator. I don't even see tracing the images, building the inventory GUI and looking for sounds/backgrounds as my duty. Nevertheless I did it because nobody else did, so I guess I'm not the usual guy who says "organisator" when he means "I say things and you all do them!!1!".
That doesn't change the fact that I still don't want to create GUI or graphics. And what is still missing at the moment are certain screens and item vectors. Go figure.
Well, I better do a list of what still needs to be done. Help is wanted with everything as long I don't write otherwise.

## Screen language:
- A calendar.
- A better navigation system, not this text menu based thing.
- An overview of every girl, not this thing under the status bar. This is especially important since there could be any number of girls.
- A screen to distribute the start points. Until then Brock will stick with 10 for each.
- Make the credits accessable from the main menu.

## Screen language and coding:
- Expand/build a debug/cheat system, INCLUDING the GUI. This is needed for proper game testing.

## Coding (I'll do that):
- Work over the navigation code-wise (more loops and return, less jumps).
- Create a bigger maze (automatism in progress).
- Create a better battling system (in progress).
- Work over interaction.rpy, because the way it is now is kinda stupid.
- Add more-liners and expressions to the automatic talking of girls.
- Maybe implement the language switch (not needed yet, but really, really easy to implement).

## Graphics:
- More girl's expressions! I could do that, but you know... The basic idea is to take a vector and add some layers to build in the expressions.
- Special/second vectors for the girls, e.g. sleeping, on date, kissing I guess
- Vectors of certain characters which aren't dateable: Brock, Oak (both season 1 please) and maybe the shop keeper
- Make the missing item vectors, by now we only have pokeball and super potion
- Vector backgrounds would be nice instead of olified photographs, but then we would need them for ALL current backgrounds, which are quite a lot. Also creating a new olified is faster than creating a new vector bg when needed.

## Graphics and writing:
- More girls, therefore lines/vectors.

## Writing:
- More questions for the existing girls (in progress)

## Misc:
- Get (real) sizes, length and mass for girls! This is standart Dating Sim Information but not only I'm introverted enough to not know this but I'm also not used to the bust/waist/hip measurement because in good ol' Germany we don't really have that. At least I didn't notice.
- The source code commentary must be improved. Programmers know how funny this part is.
- Also some balancing in the game would be nice.
- And there is a README.html delivered with the game which pops up when the Help Button is used. Maybe overwork this one.

This were the things that NEEDS to be done, but there are way more ideas we want to implement in the future, ranging from Legendary Pokemon Encounters to a complex inventory system, where you have to order the things in your bag to fit (right now you can carry anything).
Last edited by Ayutac on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:40 am, edited 9 times in total.
Up next: An original, open source, text-based Dating Sim. Stay tuned ;)

maypaymusic
Regular

Re: [Ren'Py] Pokémon Dating Sim V1.0 Alpha

#2 Post by maypaymusic »

this sounds interesting :D (anything to do with pokemon is interesting, hands down.)
i always felt sorry for brock in the anime cos he always can't seem to land the girls~
I'll be checking this out~~
♥Sometimes we must get hurt in order to grow, we must fail in order to know, Sometimes our vision clears only after our eyes are washed away with tears...♥

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#3 Post by Kato »

Bringing it in now, way too excited to play through this!
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

Thanks for the update, Ayutac. I had been wondering how development was going.

When I tried to start the game, I got the following traceback:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/intro.rpy", line 13, in script
Exception: Backslash in filename, use '/' instead: 'images\\backgrounds\\letter.jpg'
This might be related to my OS and version of Ren'py (specifically, Windows 7 and Ren'Py 6.14). I'm not sure.

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Kato »

gekiganwing wrote:Thanks for the update, Ayutac. I had been wondering how development was going.

When I tried to start the game, I got the following traceback:

While running game code:
File "game/intro.rpy", line 13, in script
Exception: Backslash in filename, use '/' instead: 'images\\backgrounds\\letter.jpg'
This might be related to my OS and version of Ren'py (specifically, Windows 7 and Ren'Py 6.14). I'm not sure.
Just got round to opening it up and i'm getting the same problem. Apparently coming from the intro paths?
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Ayutac
Regular

#6 Post by Ayutac »

Geeez, that's what I get for being overconfident. Please download and try again!

I know different OS have different directory separators, especially Linux has "/" and Windows has "\". So, to have the program work on every platform, I used "os.separator" insted of "/" or "\" or any other way. And now Ren'Py tells us that it WANTS the "/", even on Windows. I don't know if that's Python's or PyTom's doing, but now I feel stupid, because I actually could have tested it on Windows but thought my solution would be flawless.
However, this way I could insert the missing line break in the credits :)

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Kato »

Working now! :)

When I lose a battle against Misty (haven't tried battling the others yet) I get this error though:

While running game code:
File "game/girlNavi.rpy", line 168, in script
File "game/girlNavi.rpy", line 168, in python
NameError: name 'linesBattleWin' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\Adrian\Downloads\Pokemon-Dating-Sim-1.0-all (1)\Pokemon Dating Sim-1.0-all\renpy\execution.py", line 266, in run
File "C:\Users\Adrian\Downloads\Pokemon-Dating-Sim-1.0-all (1)\Pokemon Dating Sim-1.0-all\renpy\ast.py", line 646, in execute
File "C:\Users\Adrian\Downloads\Pokemon-Dating-Sim-1.0-all (1)\Pokemon Dating Sim-1.0-all\renpy\python.py", line 1172, in py_exec_bytecode
File "game/girlNavi.rpy", line 168, in <module>
NameError: name 'linesBattleWin' is not defined

Windows-7-6.1.7600
Ren'Py 6.14.1.366
Image Image

Ayutac
Regular

#8 Post by Ayutac »

Fixed. And thank you very much! As said, this is the Alpha Version so you guys are the very first testers!
By the way, it was linesBattleWin instead of linesBattleWon

"haven't tried battling the others yet"
All girls have identical code for their interaction. If something's wrong with one, then most probably with all.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by gekiganwing »

Downloaded the new version this morning, and will have time to try it tonight/tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.

The file host that you use is a little worrying. To be more specific, the page where you have your alpha version has about five "download" links, but only one of them leads to the file... and it's not easy to tell which is which. Is there another convenience place where you could host the file?

Ayutac
Regular

#10 Post by Ayutac »

gekiganwing wrote:The file host that you use is a little worrying. To be more specific, the page where you have your alpha version has about five "download" links, but only one of them leads to the file... and it's not easy to tell which is which. Is there another convenience place where you could host the file?
Sure. If you tell me one. Because I don't usually upload files anywhere except my dropbox fol– oh dawg. This is so me. Well, this was a good tip I guess. Consider it done.

EDIT: However, this takes away the sweet knowledge of how many downloads I had :(

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by briannavon »

Aren't you worried about being sued by the makers of Pokemon? :( I once wanted to make a Durarara dating sim but people on this forum told me I would get sued so I put the idea to rest.
Join Me At LivingGame Productions!

http://livinggameproductions.blogspot.com/

Ayutac
Regular

#12 Post by Ayutac »

briannavon wrote:Aren't you worried about being sued by the makers of Pokemon? :( I once wanted to make a Durarara dating sim but people on this forum told me I would get sued so I put the idea to rest.
There are tons of fan art and fan fictions out there, even fan games. Pokemon is to big to sue all the fan content. And they are clever enough to know that sueing such would anger the fans (who pay them) big time. So to get into the near of sueing, I would either have to make money out of this game (which I don't), because companies easily get angry when they don't get anything of this money OR my game would have to be very popular to get noticed, which would be an honor. And then my game is Pokemon-independent source code + fan art + "fan fics" (creative writing) + some sounds. As said, the three latter components are still tolerated, so I would just split it up to let it be built together by anyone who would like to play it. They can't forbid fan fiction, muhahaha! (And this is only necessary if no one ups it again. But as I know, the Internet does not forget ;) )

Nevertheless, this is mainly because Pokemon is big and I was warned by the guys here, too. I don't know how it would be with Durarara. BUT I plan to distribute the source code as soon as I worked over it and I expect many fan dating sims to come :)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by gekiganwing »

When my main character went to his apartment, I tried the Take Item option, and it showed one line of text (Pokeball x0 stored=0), but the game stopped working after that. Same thing happened when I tried the Store Item option. It didn't crash or freeze... I could use the right click menu, but that was the only thing I could do.
briannavon wrote:Aren't you worried about being sued by the makers of Pokemon? :( I once wanted to make a Durarara dating sim but people on this forum told me I would get sued so I put the idea to rest.
No matter what sort of fan labor you create (art, fiction, games, music videos, etc), there is a possibility that the creators will send a cease and desist order. The possibility might decrease if the company or group that created the original work no longer exists, and it's almost zero with a public domain work. Unless you are part of the team that created the original thing, this is an inherent risk. I mentioned this in an earlier thread.

Ayutac
Regular

#14 Post by Ayutac »

gekiganwing wrote:When my main character went to his apartment, I tried the Take Item option, and it showed one line of text (Pokeball x0 stored=0), but the game stopped working after that. Same thing happened when I tried the Store Item option. It didn't crash or freeze... I could use the right click menu, but that was the only thing I could do.
Are you sure? There are item images missing, so I'm using place holder images which are in fact a bit bad to see:
ImageImage

I guess the background will be changed when someone will create a better item system for me. Same goes for the item graphics. Buy a pokeball for once, these have an image :D

I admit the fact the line is focused on the pokeball was used because it was simply the first item, I'll change that to Spare Key, but that's no reason to upload a new version for that.

EDIT: But NOW I notice it does not work when you have no items stored/with you. You meant that, right? Fixed. And oh hey! Now the big advantage of dropbox is that I don't have to refresh the download links :D

Ayutac
Regular

#15 Post by Ayutac »

Version 1.0.4: Girls are not supposed to be available the time they fight in the tournament, fixed that