Death Rule: lost code//Second Stage Demo

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

Death Rule: lost code//Second Stage Demo

#1 Post by Hijiri »

12 people have been taken into the forest with a PDA containing an objective, and a brace keeping a bomb implanted within them neutralized. Should they fail to complete the given objective, the bomb within them will detonate. However, things will not be so simple. Along with their objective, a special clause has been placed on each person; a Death Rule.
No one knows what the other Player's objectives are, or what Rule had been placed upon them. Being alone is a disadvantage, but in a deadly game such as this, how do you know who to trust?

Click here to download (Win/Mac/Linux)

Some questions to answer about the demo:
1-Did the story flow well?
2-Were the characters believable?
3-Were you able to keep up with the Game's events?
4- Which episode is your favorite?

Bonus questions:
-Favorite character?
-Favorite moment?
-Who do you ship?
Last edited by Hijiri on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

M.T.D.G.
Regular
Completed: -SacrifiXi (BxB)-Beta-Love (BxB)-Ivan Berk Dress Up Game-Kiss the Cock (BxG)
Projects: -Death on Holiday (BxG)
Tumblr: mtdg
Deviantart: M-T-D-G
itch: mtdg

Re: Death Rule: lost code Solitary Stage Demo

#2 Post by M.T.D.G. »

Just downloaded and finished to play the demo! YAY!
I'd have tons of things to say about the perfectness of the UI, the music and everything but I'll just answer your specific questions as better as I can:

Yes! At the beginning it was a bit difficult to keep track of everything 'cause there are many rules and various things but the positive note is that you don't just throw them in there and bye-bye; you explain them in a very detailed way and let the reader metabolize them. I guess we'll have a better picture of the characters and the story just when the game will be complete but, for what I could see in the demo, the story is definetly flowing well (altough I noticed that its rythm tends to change. Sometimes is faster then usual -but it may be just in the case of bad end-).
I'm not the most recommended person to talk about grammatical mistakes, but I noticed a pair of repetitions ( "voice voice" around the part when Abraham hears a woman screaming at the beginning and "a a" when Tina and Dwight saw their first dead body).

IMO, yes! Most of them are quite believable but I've got some doubts on George. Sometimes he is very likable with his attitude and his 'melancholy-hero' side, some other times he just looks like a low bastard and I just hate him <__<; he's inclined to be two-faced but in reality he isn't! Good and bad at the same time but, in the end, good.....I don't know if I managed to explain myself XD

Again yes. Also the extra you unlock in the demo helps to understand better some important unexplained points (plus, it was very funny. I finished the game with a smile :D )

Bonus questions:
-Favorite character?
Abraham for sure! I like good guys with guts! Cold but rational! Besides, he is very cute <3
Oh, and I love also the oh-so-cute Lilly!

-Favorite moment?
Maybe Tina's death (but I enjoyed all of the story). That part made me shiver! And I could feel the tension and the fear to die. Nice one!

-Who do you ship?
Am I supposed to answer to this one? Lol! I'm such a fangirl when it comes to shipping!
I totally ship Abraham/George and Hector/Gabe (fufufu, I'm so unoriginal).

Keep up the cool work, man! It's going to be epic! <3
mtdg.tumblr.com (nsfw)

ImageImageImageImageImage

DreamDragonHatchling
Regular

#3 Post by DreamDragonHatchling »

It felt a bit too rushed, but that is probably because being a demo.
I didn't like that sleeping time was just past by since this is the time when we are alone with or minds, best time to plot and doubt. Get paranoia and feel the most unsafe.

They felt a bit too calm. I would imagine that few would freak out more and for a little time go in emo mode or something. But those are just my thoughts. I just believe that most people are mentally weak so under this kind of circumstances they would need some time to adjust or die.
Than again there were time lapses and that might had happened in that time, but if i was in that game i wouldn't be sleeping in first night and second one. Hey i couldn't sleep in a barn full with hay, because sounds all around me kept me up and something similar would be in a forest. Then again that might be just me....
But i was surprised that no one vomited there guts out seeing a dead body... or not feeling sick, maybe i missed that part.
And it felt weird when Abigail woke up. Well I understand that she tried to remember what happened to her, but she remembered something like someone put something on her wrist.
* I am in unfamiliar place (Abigail can see it and feel it)
* I have been kidnapped (Abigail remember it)
Two this that are more important then a watch on her hand, she might notice it but not pay much attention to it in the beginning. Knowing where she is and why will run her mind.

I guess, yes...

-Favorite character?
Hunters :D
-Favorite moment?
-Who do you ship?
Abraham/George and Abigail/Hector

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi

#4 Post by Hijiri »

Thanks for the feedback you two!
Ciliegiosa wrote:1-Did the story flow well?
Yes! At the beginning it was a bit difficult to keep track of everything 'cause there are many rules and various things but the positive note is that you don't just throw them in there and bye-bye; you explain them in a very detailed way and let the reader metabolize them. I guess we'll have a better picture of the characters and the story just when the game will be complete but, for what I could see in the demo, the story is definetly flowing well (altough I noticed that its rythm tends to change. Sometimes is faster then usual -but it may be just in the case of bad end-).
I'm not the most recommended person to talk about grammatical mistakes, but I noticed a pair of repetitions ( "voice voice" around the part when Abraham hears a woman screaming at the beginning and "a a" when Tina and Dwight saw their first dead body).
The demo does go rather quickly since it's the ending you get railroaded onto if you try and play "lost code" before the other. However, I guess I'll go back and take another look at this path later on, after I finish the main one.
Ciliegiosa wrote:2-Were the characters believable?
IMO, yes! Most of them are quite believable but I've got some doubts on George. Sometimes he is very likable with his attitude and his 'melancholy-hero' side, some other times he just looks like a low bastard and I just hate him <__<; he's inclined to be two-faced but in reality he isn't! Good and bad at the same time but, in the end, good.....I don't know if I managed to explain myself XD
George is meant to come off as the sort of wild card, so I'm glad that came through.
Ciliegiosa wrote:3-Were you able to keep up with the Game's events?
Again yes. Also the extra you unlock in the demo helps to understand better some important unexplained points (plus, it was very funny. I finished the game with a smile :D )
Yeah, I tried making the extra a bit funny since it really isn't made to be too serious.
DreamDragonHatchling wrote:1-Did the story flow well?
It felt a bit too rushed, but that is probably because being a demo.
I didn't like that sleeping time was just past by since this is the time when we are alone with or minds, best time to plot and doubt. Get paranoia and feel the most unsafe.

They felt a bit too calm. I would imagine that few would freak out more and for a little time go in emo mode or something. But those are just my thoughts. I just believe that most people are mentally weak so under this kind of circumstances they would need some time to adjust or die.
Than again there were time lapses and that might had happened in that time, but if i was in that game i wouldn't be sleeping in first night and second one. Hey i couldn't sleep in a barn full with hay, because sounds all around me kept me up and something similar would be in a forest. Then again that might be just me....
But i was surprised that no one vomited there guts out seeing a dead body... or not feeling sick, maybe i missed that part.
And it felt weird when Abigail woke up. Well I understand that she tried to remember what happened to her, but she remembered something like someone put something on her wrist.
* I am in unfamiliar place (Abigail can see it and feel it)
* I have been kidnapped (Abigail remember it)
Two this that are more important then a watch on her hand, she might notice it but not pay much attention to it in the beginning. Knowing where she is and why will run her mind.
Fair criticism :)
The characters I put the most focus on have dealt with stressing situations in the past, and a couple of them have purposely volunteered (as reveled in the demo). That's why quite a few of them are so relaxed. Also, the fact that they can sleep is because they're staying inside a Combat Prohibition Zone. I know I didn't show the map much, but if you go back to ascene that shows it, you'll see that the rest areas are all located inside them. The only excluded one would be Abigail, Hector, and Gabe's group, which had one person keeping watch for a few hours. (Though, I guess I should mention that in-story >_>) However, I will concede to the fact that sleep time is the time many of them would plot. (As Tina proved with her sneaking away)
DreamDragonHatchling wrote:-Favorite moment?
Just know that I was looking for an excuse to use that expression :'D
Image Image

Kessie
Regular

#5 Post by Kessie »

There was a lot of information to take in at the start that it was hard to get a grip of and really comprehend but I wouldn't say it's a bad thing considering that's what the characters go through themselves and we can relate to their point of view of having to take so much in so quickly
(at least those who weren't there on purpose)
As it ventured further in it still felt rushed but again, not so much a bad thing considering it's a demo and the characters are rushed themselves having an inflicted time limit where they could potentially die...
I think under those circumstances, a rushed feeling is not a bad thing and again, allows the player to relate.

Yes and No. I felt that all the characters in some way including Dwight yup!, had wits. Realistically, I was thinking there would at least be one character or two who are panicky and have no idea what they are doing..
Unless they were all kidnapped with the idea they all had some chance to survive?

Or maybe a character who really doesn't believe any of this is really happening and gets themselves killed by being delirious... something along those lines, though I suppose there was enough insanity brewing :3.

I did find it believable though the way the characters interacted with each other and the overall tension within their bonds/alliances too.
That moment when Dwight dies.. I knew it wasn't Tina but I hated her for it anyway..
Yes....it was kind of like a fast paced and more detailed version (with the rules and objectives etc.) of Hunger Games?
but it was pretty sad how some characters I wanted to get to know more, died before they could really blossom to their full potential...at least, that's how I felt ^^;

Hope that helps! Goodluck o:

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Hijiri »

Kessie wrote:1-Did the story flow well?
There was a lot of information to take in at the start that it was hard to get a grip of and really comprehend but I wouldn't say it's a bad thing considering that's what the characters go through themselves and we can relate to their point of view of having to take so much in so quickly
(at least those who weren't there on purpose)
As it ventured further in it still felt rushed but again, not so much a bad thing considering it's a demo and the characters are rushed themselves having an inflicted time limit where they could potentially die...
I think under those circumstances, a rushed feeling is not a bad thing and again, allows the player to relate.
Seems pacing is conflicted, I'll see if I can try and slow things down just a tad more.
Kessie wrote:2-Were the characters believable?
Yes and No. I felt that all the characters in some way including Dwight yup!, had wits. Realistically, I was thinking there would at least be one character or two who are panicky and have no idea what they are doing..
Unless they were all kidnapped with the idea they all had some chance to survive?

Or maybe a character who really doesn't believe any of this is really happening and gets themselves killed by being delirious... something along those lines, though I suppose there was enough insanity brewing :3.

I did find it believable though the way the characters interacted with each other and the overall tension within their bonds/alliances too.
That moment when Dwight dies.. I knew it wasn't Tina but I hated her for it anyway..
They're all rather terrified by their situation, but they try their best to hide it. But yeah, I get what you're saying.
That was the point of that scene, to lead people to believe that.
Kessie wrote:3-Were you able to keep up with the Game's events?
Yes....it was kind of like a fast paced and more detailed version (with the rules and objectives etc.) of Hunger Games?
but it was pretty sad how some characters I wanted to get to know more, died before they could really blossom to their full potential...at least, that's how I felt ^^;

Hope that helps! Goodluck o:
The demo covered only the bad ending of the game, which diverts from the 'real' storyline. I hope the full version will give the cast a chance to shine.

Thanks for the feedback!
Image Image

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Hijiri »

Links have been updated. If anything breaks, don't hesitate to tell me.
(Also, still looking for feedback...)
Image Image

LukanFox

#8 Post by LukanFox »

Looks very interesting so far; haven't read the other chapters yet(demos or final product), so I'm just going off of what's in the Solitary Stage demo. (I hope they're in the demo I found on the other thread.)
Also, I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, but even so I need to say that you've done an awesome job so far.

Has the other path where Abraham doesn't kill the woman in the trap after the start been written yet? And is this the lead in to the 'true' end of the chapter?

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Death Rule: lost code//Second Stage Demo

#9 Post by Hijiri »

New demo is out. GO check it out!
Image Image

nancie
Regular

#10 Post by nancie »

I played through this (both stories) and my initial response would have to be that I enjoyed this story way too much. I love the new gui and the opening is very polished looking too. I must say I'm really looking forward to the final product. Love the new bonus scene too.
I only found one typo that jumped out at me.

Demo questions:
- I followed it very well, even with the constant POV changes. I've read previous versions of the story so I already understood the rule system.

- Yes, though I think Abigail seemed just a bit too calm for being kidnapped and dropped into a forest. Unless of course she had some prior knowledge of the game or that she would be chosen. I think most women would be terrified in that situation.

- Yes

4- Which episode is your favorite?
- Lost code (but I did like both of them) I do hope that in the future we are able to obtain more choices/endings.

Bonus questions:
-Favorite character?
- I'd totally have to say George

-Favorite moment?
- I have two and surprisingly enough the are both with Abraham - the bonus scene when Tanya shoots him down and this one,
you know you shouldn't look but you just can't help yourself.

Anyway nice work I was very entertained!

joakkar
Completed: None
Projects: ygj 2017

#11 Post by joakkar »

I only played the last demo but I really enjoyed the plot. Still, the whole players menu confused me since I'm guessing the double agent ability also affects that (at which point did the "Kill all uneven players" player entry even appear?). Also the part where number one was killed was really weird because we never saw who he/she was even though they found his/her dead body.

The other thing that bothered me is that they said the game only starts when all players wake up but Gabe took forever to wake up and people were already dying when he did (unless I got that wrong).

Also am I the only person annoyed that Tina seemed so combat ready yet was so easily killed by George (who even being an adult is still just a rich boy running a fashion enterprise)?

- With the exception of certain parts like the "always check people stay dead" and the part where they found number 1 dead, it generally flowed really well.

- I guess the most unbelievable one would be Abigail unless she's secretly a sociopath because she's the one who said she wouldn't find it in her to kill anyone yet she didn't seem the least affected when Maria died. (well maybe a little but not nearly as much as she should've been.)

- Barely but then again I'm kind of dumb when it comes to stories like these.

But anyways, my favorite character so far would be either Tanya or Abigail (though I don't know Tanya enough to judge I guess)

My favorite moment would be when Dwight threatens to tell the rest about George being suspicious while checking his PDA. That was unexpectedly smart of him and it was nice seeing George in a pinch considering he always acts like he's on top of everything.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Hijiri »

joakkar wrote:I only played the last demo but I really enjoyed the plot. Still, the whole players menu confused me since I'm guessing the double agent ability also affects that (at which point did the "Kill all uneven players" player entry even appear?). Also the part where number one was killed was really weird because we never saw who he/she was even though they found his/her dead body.

The other thing that bothered me is that they said the game only starts when all players wake up but Gabe took forever to wake up and people were already dying when he did (unless I got that wrong).

Also am I the only person annoyed that Tina seemed so combat ready yet was so easily killed by George (who even being an adult is still just a rich boy running a fashion enterprise)?

- With the exception of certain parts like the "always check people stay dead" and the part where they found number 1 dead, it generally flowed really well.

- I guess the most unbelievable one would be Abigail unless she's secretly a sociopath because she's the one who said she wouldn't find it in her to kill anyone yet she didn't seem the least affected when Maria died. (well maybe a little but not nearly as much as she should've been.)

- Barely but then again I'm kind of dumb when it comes to stories like these.

But anyways, my favorite character so far would be either Tanya or Abigail (though I don't know Tanya enough to judge I guess)

My favorite moment would be when Dwight threatens to tell the rest about George being suspicious while checking his PDA. That was unexpectedly smart of him and it was nice seeing George in a pinch considering he always acts like he's on top of everything.
Thank you for the feedback! I enjoy these kinds since it tells me what I should be clearing up in-game.
Anyways, I may as well clear them up here too.
Still, the whole players menu confused me since I'm guessing the double agent ability also affects that (at which point did the "Kill all uneven players" player entry even appear?)
That is unaffected by the Double Agent ability because
YOU, the reader, are watching the Game. That's why the narration is in 3rd person, and why the focus jumps between groups.
And that one appears when George mention's Tina's Number. If you clear the persistent data and go back to that scene, you'll see it appears there.
Also the part where number one was killed was really weird because we never saw who he/she was even though they found his/her dead body.
They never found the body. The automated systems running the background stuff of the Game detected that Player 1's vitals had flatlined, so it marked them as dead/killed. And there is an important reason WHY we don't see Player 1: it's because the identity of Player 1 becomes a major point of conflict in the main storyline. What I put in the demo is the 'Bad End' route, sort to speak.
Gabe woke up when everyone else did, but having to deal with sudden sobriety drained him, and he fell asleep again. Plus, it was pretty late when Hector and Abigail run into him.
About that:
Tina's just bluffing her way through, since she realized if she can scare people away from her, then she has no need to actually fight. George, on the other hand, volunteered to participate, and took the chance to train a bit prior to the date he would have to present himself. However, he doesn't make it too obvious that he knows to defend himself well since he can catch someone off-guard if he plays the fabulous idiot.
I guess the most unbelievable one would be Abigail unless she's secretly a sociopath because she's the one who said she wouldn't find it in her to kill anyone yet she didn't seem the least affected when Maria died. (well maybe a little but not nearly as much as she should've been.)
Abigail was a field nurse during the war Gabe and Hector mention, she's seen people die in front of her before. So seeing Maria die didn't faze her since she had just registered it in her mind as another casualty. One can be used to seeing others die, but still be unable to put someone down.
Thanks again for the feedback! Hope you'll enjoy the full game when its out.
Image Image

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#13 Post by Asceai »

Looks very nice, need a slice of time to open up so I can play a bit more of it.

One thing, though; I know everyone was comparing this to The Hunger Games but after a brief look this is actually Killer Queen (PDAs and objectives), isn't it? No complaints at all, because I love those.

(reminds me that I've still got to play Rebellions or whatever that CODE:Revise remake was called)

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Hijiri »

Asceai wrote:One thing, though; I know everyone was comparing this to The Hunger Games but after a brief look this is actually Killer Queen (PDAs and objectives), isn't it? No complaints at all, because I love those.

(reminds me that I've still got to play Rebellions or whatever that CODE:Revise remake was called)
Funny story, that comparison...
And yes, I do reccomend you read Rebellions, was much better than Revise.

And I'll be keeping a closer eye on this thread for any feedback
Image Image