Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#2611 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Blane Doyle wrote: I don't delete ANYTHING until I think I am "finished". I add things but I don't delete. You can always rework it or just remove it later in editing. At least it makes it possible for me to actually write stuff and keeps me from trashing things I wish I had kept for editing later on.
I've actually heard this advice before regarding writing. Just "get it out" on paper and then when you've finished go back and edit, remove, and revise. Seems like good advice if I could follow it....

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#2612 Post by xavimat »

I never delete anything. The bad stuff is filed, but not deleted. Who knows if it'll be a source of further inspiration.
I've read (and experienced) that writing is, in fact, re-writing. After the first drafting the text needs to "rest"; later it's rewritten so many times.
At last, it takes more hours re-writing than preparing, making schemes or just writing.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#2613 Post by teacup »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Blane Doyle wrote: I don't delete ANYTHING until I think I am "finished". I add things but I don't delete. You can always rework it or just remove it later in editing. At least it makes it possible for me to actually write stuff and keeps me from trashing things I wish I had kept for editing later on.
I've actually heard this advice before regarding writing. Just "get it out" on paper and then when you've finished go back and edit, remove, and revise. Seems like good advice if I could follow it....
I'm a writing major and that is exactly how I learned to write.
Write your first draft without revision. It doesn't matter if it's absolutely terrible, because revision is the most important process of writing. The point in writing a shitty first draft is that you can write all of your ideas down. Revision is when you really start making magic, because you already have a foundation to build on (and take down, as needed).
I used to revise and write at the same time, and writing that way took significantly more time. I'm a much more efficient writer now. :) (Not when it comes to VNs, exactly... but schoolwork, yes).

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#2614 Post by mugenjohncel »

I just visualized and imagined Johnny Bravo few years later now working as a Barrista for Starbucks or maybe working for Walmart or McDonalds or something in a lovey-dovey moe relationship with Suzy, now in High School drawn anime style in OELVN format... with Japanese voices... it seems my stupid brain is up to something again...
"POOF" (I'll go get a coffee)
Edit: Now I feel like actually drawing it...
Edit 2: I'll draw it later!

Carassaurat
Veteran

#2615 Post by Carassaurat »

teacup wrote:I'm a writing major and that is exactly how I learned to write.
Write your first draft without revision. It doesn't matter if it's absolutely terrible, because revision is the most important process of writing. The point in writing a shitty first draft is that you can write all of your ideas down. Revision is when you really start making magic, because you already have a foundation to build on (and take down, as needed).
I used to revise and write at the same time, and writing that way took significantly more time.
I know it's an easy trap to just keep polishing your work and never get to the end by re-writing the first half and never getting to the second half — but in this case, it was vital that my two characters had a conversation at that point, and I actually liked the way it played out, but the conversation that I had written for them wasn't actually about the story at all, so it needs to be re-written into something actually relevant. It's difficult, because I explore all kinds of sides of my protagonist, while losing sight of what story I actually want to tell, and this isn't the first time that happened either.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#2616 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

It's 2 30 AM here. I stayed up ALL NIGHT because I did my Journalism project (due tomorrow/later) and my Chemistry magazine layout (due Thursday but have to be done tonight for printing). I'm almost dome with the latter.

BUT

I still have to do a Physics reviewer. *sobs* I want to sleep now... but I still have to do something, and worse, there are pre-finals tomorrow/later. Aaaaagh what to do

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#2617 Post by Mink »

Once again, people on Tumblr are making want to abandon this planet, and then nuke it from orbit. It'd be the only way to be sure.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#2618 Post by Blane Doyle »

My grandma and I went shopping together today and we headed into an arts and crafts store... and I caved in and bought a sketch book.

I haven't drawn in a few months and while my art is HORRENDOUS I really want to practice to make it better. Unfortunately, I am now slightly terrified that I won't draw anything good and either waste the entire sketchbook or give up part way through again. I feel like I am trying to quit before I even start...

Twisted-Eva
Regular
Projects: Our Crossing Paths

#2619 Post by Twisted-Eva »

I'm already a senior in college even though I've been there for 2.5 years... IT'S GOING BY TOO FAST. Initially, I thought it was a good idea to not dawdle in college too long because of cost and leave myself more room to do internships, finding jobs while in school, etc. but... I fear I might run out of units to use before I can get a minor and get ready to apply for grad school :__:
Deviantart Account
Current Project: Our Crossing Paths [GxB] [Alternate History/Drama]

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#2620 Post by ebi brain »

Blane Doyle wrote:My grandma and I went shopping together today and we headed into an arts and crafts store... and I caved in and bought a sketch book.

I haven't drawn in a few months and while my art is HORRENDOUS I really want to practice to make it better. Unfortunately, I am now slightly terrified that I won't draw anything good and either waste the entire sketchbook or give up part way through again. I feel like I am trying to quit before I even start...
Just use the sketchbook!
That's what they're for!

Seeing that skechbooks will continue to exist for a loooong time, and you can always buy a new one, you should just draw in it and fill it up.

While I draw on cheapo printer paper at home, I do like to use a sketchbook when out in the wild. I make sure not to spend too much money on it though, that helps with feeling less guilty about filling up page after page :)
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

myapple
Regular
Projects: RoG2.0, Stirling
Organization: red inc.

#2621 Post by myapple »

@Blane Doyle: Having a sketchbook is always a good thing! Try to take it everywhere with you, and do a few doodles every day when you have a minute. Don't be afraid to get it dirty and try different styles and mediums as well. Everything helps with improvement :D

--

I'm finding it really hard to try and divide my time between working on projects and spending time with friends/playing games. Both things I love, but it feels like I can only do one or the other... I want to do both, but when I try to devote more time to art, my gamer friends get upset because I can't spend as much time with them. They don't seem to understand the concept of having a hobby that is not gaming that also takes up a significant amount of time or something...
So then I feel bad about not spending time with them and try to just play a few hours... except a few hours of gaming easily turns into a few days, then weeks... and my productivity goes all to hell.

ugh... -throws computer against wall-

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#2622 Post by Mink »

>Set alarm
>Wake up early
>Get ready for class
>Leave for class
>Find out classes don't resume until tomorrow

FFFFUUUU-!
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#2623 Post by KittyKatStar »

Oh boy, things gotten rocky at work quickly. T_T Not just for me, but for many employees in general.

Because of an issue, one of the coaches quit suddenly and now they have to scramble for people to cover Monday/Friday.
(That's just one of the problems, there's even more things going on. D:)

Those are the only days I don't work, but it looks like I'll be called in until they get it sorted out... (They say they'll try not to use me since they know how often I work already but yea...) Plus I did offer. >_<;

Of course it's known for the whole 'if you start covering a class often, then they'll just give it to you' so you gotta be careful when you offer... XD

I love my job, and we all strive to make it enjoyable for everyone working there. So it's just one of those 'snags' right now but hopefully it'll return to normal.

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#2624 Post by Fungii »

Got drunk, finally told classmate I liked him, thought it was going well, said we should probably talk about it tomorrow so we'd both be more sober. Got rejected, don't really want to move from my bed for a week.

WhydidIdothat.wav

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#2625 Post by Hijiri »

Fungii wrote:Got drunk, finally told classmate I liked him, thought it was going well, said we should probably talk about it tomorrow so we'd both be more sober. Got rejected, don't really want to move from my bed for a week.

WhydidIdothat.wav
Better to be rejected than never finding out an answer.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."