Music while writing?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

Re: Music while writing?

#16 Post by Gear »

For me, the music can't have lyrics, or I will never get anything done. I typically use classical music, though lately I've been listening to an orchestral version of Pokémon Red and Blue while writing, and it seems to work the best for me (a lot of good memories associated with that music). If I'm particularly stuck, I'll sometimes write to the music I've already scored my game with, as it kind of puts me in the right frame of mind.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Palas
Soundcloud: palasvuash
itch: pequigames

#17 Post by Palas »

I've realized I'm the most efficient when I have something stuck in my head. A chorus, a beat, a bass drop. But I don't usually listen to music, no. I'm far more likely to hum and whistle the tune I have stuck in my head - and it's usually bubblegum pop music, videogame music or electronica.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#18 Post by Obscura »

I'm part of the "write in silence" club. I'm envious of all of you who can write with music on. I can't hear dialogue in my head with music in the background, as much as I'd love to have something on.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

M.T.D.G.
Regular
Completed: -SacrifiXi (BxB)-Beta-Love (BxB)-Ivan Berk Dress Up Game-Kiss the Cock (BxG)
Projects: -Death on Holiday (BxG)
Tumblr: mtdg
Deviantart: M-T-D-G
itch: mtdg

#19 Post by M.T.D.G. »

I listen to music most of the time but it has to be without lyrics, or else I won't be able to hear my own thoughts. Usually I listen ambient music or the music I'm going to put in my visual novel and it goes along with the mood of what I'm writing (sad music for sa parts, happy music for happy parts and so on...).

Lately I've been listening the OST from the game Dramatical Murder. All the music from Nitro+chiral games is very relaxing and inspiring! <3
mtdg.tumblr.com (nsfw)

ImageImageImageImageImage

Nisa-chan666
Regular

#20 Post by Nisa-chan666 »

I usually write while listening to music that is appropriate to whatever mood I'm trying to create. For example, if I'm trying to write a battle scene then it tends to be the sort of music that gets the adrenalin going, while I'm more likely to listen to soothing stuff in a more emotionally intimate scene. At the moment I'm writing a route for a very confident, self-centred character, so I tend to have Lady Gaga on repeat.

LittleAngel

#21 Post by LittleAngel »

I usually play music that fills me with many different emotions, and ultimately I feel as if my story is more likely to move someone.

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#22 Post by Desu_Cake »

It depends where I am in the story. If I'm working on an early draft where the goal is just to get the scene in my head written down, I like to listen to fast-paced rock or metal. It really helps get the words flowing. On later drafts I either don't listen to anything, or listen to something without any lyrics, since I'm trying to get the right words to come to me.

Lachez
Regular
Projects: Nakajo

#23 Post by Lachez »

I typically write depending on the current mood of the story.
So typical osts from a playlist that i have a million different osts from a bunch of random things.
If i am feeling neutral while writing I'll but on some J-rock to relax.
If I am feeling extremely pumped about writing I'll throw on some heavy punk.
I listen to a lot of odd genres of music but I'll often drown it all out while I'm writing.

LadyAvori
Regular

#24 Post by LadyAvori »

I like a little bit of everything so it depends on my mood.

Music is usually on while I'm writing, but I don't always listen to it. It drowns out all the other noise in my house, noise I can't ignore otherwise. The music becomes white noise that makes it easy to ignore. Like a fan. My earphones make the rest of the world go away then it's just me and my story.

Sometimes I'll listen to a song before I write a scene just to set the mood. But it could be Rock, pop, country, classical, folk and so on. Depends on the scene and my mood.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#25 Post by nyaatrap »

Metal. Melodic death or thrash or speed or gothic.
Though when I'm proofreading and coding (those 2 are the same process to me), it always be music which will be used in a scene in the game. In my experience, music is one of the core element on coding. I can listen random music when I'm writing or drawing, but not coding.

zankokunoyami
Regular
Projects: Dies Irae: Phantatiom Elements

#26 Post by zankokunoyami »

Ah, here we go.

I cannot, and I will repeat it; canNOT write without the right music. To me, music is the soul behind anything grand. It can turn a horrible scene into something amazing, and lacking it can turn an amazing scene into crap. Therefore, music itself, fuels the imagination and allows one to fully bring out the emotions you are trying to convey through your writing.

With that said, I have several thousand songs in my arsenal. Having gathered them for years; each one, pin pointing a particular emotion. When I am struggling with my writing, I go through my music until I find one that allows me to write how I want to be writing. Something that matches the scene and feeling I am not always so easily able to convey through simple words. From oldies, jazz, classical to modern, Japanese, Korean, German, etc. All styles and countries. Whatever gives off that particular melody or conveys that particular message.

Seriously. If I am listening to the wrong music, I can't feel anything, well, well enough to to actually be able to properly write for my characters.

No wonder one of my simpler, yet favorite stories, is about the power music instills in the human soul.
Dies Irae: Phantatiom Elements
Check us out on facebook!
Listen to the radioplay on YouTube

SimonLayton
Regular

#27 Post by SimonLayton »

I usually listen to alt rock, or anything that's loud with guitars and drums and sad lyrics. It's sort of upbeat and melodramatic at the same time, and always keeps me awake, since I usually write at night, where no one would distract me, and the only thing I can hear is music and only music (and the occasional Facebook bling when me and my partner-in-crime are working together).

But recently, because of plenty of deadlines, I've been listening to no music so I could concentrate more on the writing, thoughts and dialogues and all. I'm pleased to say that the quality of the writing improved a bit, but it's sort of lonely. xD
Honest Critique
itch.io | avatar by crestforge

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#28 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Well I typically don't write with music but when I do it usually has a direct correlation with what i'm writing. Same with drawing and I also don't really like having lyrics but it isn't the biggest deal. For example, the music I've selected for NaNoRenO this year I've placed into a playlist and have it on repeat. When i'm writing/drawing scenes for it the music really helps me get the general mood going ^^

So i'm kind of half and half when it comes to music but, if I do listen to it, it's usual lyric-less and directily related to what i'm doing.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

thedarkdefender
Regular
Projects: TBTR
Organization: Clockwork Cafe

#29 Post by thedarkdefender »

I play songs which I think fit the plot. Doing this actually gives me more ideas which I haven't thought of before.

deviltales
Regular

#30 Post by deviltales »

anything that fits the mood of the scene I'm writing. If I'm writing a sad scene, sad song plays.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.