PSP Otoge Licensed: Sweet Fuse: At Your Side/Bakudan Handan

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

PSP Otoge Licensed: Sweet Fuse: At Your Side/Bakudan Handan

#1 Post by Blane Doyle »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 3238,d.dmQ

Apparently Hakuoki did well enough for Aksys to license another PSP otome game.

Aside from being generally excited for a new otome game after enjoying Hakuoki... I have to wonder why THIS one? It looks very weird, but interesting as well. But there are many more high profile ones they could have chosen... maybe it has something to do with the protagonist being the niece of the MagaMan developer. And the "survival game" aspect, perhaps, since 999 did well in the West too.

borisoda
Regular

Re: PSP Otoge Licensed: Sweet Fuse: At Your Side/Bakudan Han

#2 Post by borisoda »

I'm really glad Aksys decided to license another otome game,
but at the same time I wish it was a different title like amnesia, wand of fortune, & black wolves etc

I hope the sales go well~~

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

I'll consider this one an unexpected surprise. Maybe Sweet Fuse was licensed from the Otomate / Idea Factory library because it did not already have a TV animation spinoff or other merchandise. Maybe Aksys Games staff believe that fans will be interested in the suspense plot. Maybe the meta element of Keiji Inafune as a background character, which the Siliconera article points out, is a selling point. I'm not sure.

I wasn't sure if Aksys had plans to release more GxB games or stories in English. Releasing a straightforward visual novel (no stats, adventure, or other gameplay) into the landscape of console games is quite rare, but I don't think it's an easy sell. Only one small store in my area had any physical copies of Hakuouki. I'm going to assume most of its sales were from the Playstation Store.

Otomate made PS2 games until the end of 2010, and made DS games all the way into spring 2011. Nearly all of the company's releases have been PSP software, except for a 3DS port of Hakuouki, and iOS/Android ports of Hiiro no Kakera and Amnesia. I know that there are a lot of risks in releasing software for 3DS, as well as iOS and Android devices. But hopefully the company can sell its products on more and newer devices...

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#4 Post by FatUnicornGames »

I think they may have licensed this because it doesn't look TOO girly. They figure it might have some cross over potential. The art kind of reminds me of games like Phoenix Wright, so they might be trying to appeal to that audience.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by OtomeWeekend »

FatUnicornGames wrote:The art kind of reminds me of games like Phoenix Wright, so they might be trying to appeal to that audience.
The artist of Bakudan Handan is INDEED the one who did the Miles Edgeworth Files. Otomate thought BH would sell well because Ace Attorney did but it wasn't even successful. All the reason I could really think about on this getting an english release would be the artist's influence.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#6 Post by teacup »

I actually am looking forward to this. It looks more interesting than the regular otome games that are popular right now, and plus I love a good survival/puzzle game (major 999 fan right here)
I guess the only disappointing thing is that the guys don't look that hot, but it seems to be more story focused anyway so to me it isn't a big deal. I don't think the typical bishounen would fit in this style of game anyway.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#7 Post by azureXtwilight »

teacup wrote:I actually am looking forward to this. It looks more interesting than the regular otome games that are popular right now, and plus I love a good survival/puzzle game (major 999 fan right here)
I guess the only disappointing thing is that the guys don't look that hot, but it seems to be more story focused anyway so to me it isn't a big deal. I don't think the typical bishounen would fit in this style of game anyway.
Gotta agree with everything you said, teacup! From the reviews I've seen for more popular otome games, they don't actually feel appealing to me story-wise. 'Bout the art style, people have different definitions of hot right? I like the purple-haired guy with the glasses ;P Looking forward to this one.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#8 Post by teacup »

Pre-orders are up on Amazon. :)
It comes with a pre-order bonus, but I'm not sure what it is. I went ahead and placed an order, though. It won't come out until August 22nd, sadly...

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by gekiganwing »

Aksys Games staff is now talking with Siliconera about translating GxB console games, and why Sweet Fuse was chosen.

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#10 Post by enta »

I see. So the translators were bribed by the cupcakes and treats by the fans :lol:

On the other hand, I never played Hakuoki but according to a friend of mine who did, the translations were horrible and some lines were different from the original(well, that's expected though).

----and if EVER Aksys would really translate Duel Love, I wonder whether they'd release it in DS :'D I mean, I sold out mine months ago to get a 3DS (;_;)

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#11 Post by Googaboga »

Ahaha that article was a fun read. He has a good sense of humor.

I am looking forward to seeing what the mysterious pre-order bonus will be. I'm going to pre-order no matter what but I'd still like to know.

To be honest I think most of the guys look really good (the guy with the braid is the only one throwing me off). I am enjoying the art stye a lot too. And from the screen shots I've seen the characters seem to have some nice dynamic poses which is always nice.

I think I'll be a big fan of this one ^^.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by gekiganwing »

I purchased Sweet Fuse last week, and made some time after work to read it. So far, I have finished one route, and I plan to read at least a few more soon.

The voiced dialogue and the mouth movements are not often in sync. I'm using a PSP, the official PSN download, and the optional "install data" feature. I don't know if this problem exist with the UMD version, or if the sync problem exists when playing the VN on a
Vita.

The thing which has impressed me most so far is the pacing. The hostile takeover of the amusement park happened almost right away, followed by assembling the team and starting the first challenge. Some parts of Sweet Fuse's story still seem implausible, but then again, it might make more sense after I read other routes. I expect they will include explanations for the currently unexplained plot threads.

(I thought Hakuouki had good pacing -- a horrifying battle scene within the first few minutes, and the next two chapters had some slow moments mixed with quite a bit of conflict and suspense. I left off around chapter three. While I understood the characters' plight, I just didn't prefer one of them over the others.)

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by 15385bic »

just got my copy in the mail~ yay - more games to play OTL
do have to say there's quite a range in guys O_o
i dont mind the art at all~ - they all look pretty good
only thing that bugs me is u play as a teenage girl and most of the guys look way too old >_>'

supervamp78

#14 Post by supervamp78 »

15385bic wrote:just got my copy in the mail~ yay - more games to play OTL
do have to say there's quite a range in guys O_o
i dont mind the art at all~ - they all look pretty good
only thing that bugs me is u play as a teenage girl and most of the guys look way too old >_>'

thats because most of them are well above her in age,4 of them are in theirs 20s or up and 1 is 2 years below her (in the japanese version at least) and the onl one close is two years older

Though age is nothing but a number

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by 15385bic »

supervamp78 wrote:Though age is nothing but a number
tell that to the cops ;P

still - i quite enjoyed the game though - so far have played through twice...now i just feeling like going for them all~
when i have time to play OTL