MorningStar

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
squark
Veteran
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy (Proofreader), The Abandoned Land: Book One (Proofreader)
Projects: Raven Hollow (Core Coder, Proofreader), The Universal Hope (Core Coder, Proofreader)
Organization: FlareBlue Entertainment

Re: MorningStar

#196 Post by squark »

That's because those links are outdated. The ones in this post should work just fine, so long as you right-click and hit "save link as".

Enjoy!

P.S. If those don't work either, I'll put them up somewhere. Still have them, myself.
Without communication, nothing is possible.
"All we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore"
-- Edgar Allen Poe, "A Dream Within A Dream"
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Raven Hollow (on hold for now)
Peace and Love,
Squark

Vier Klein
Organization: XIII

#197 Post by Vier Klein »

Sorry for the necro post*, but I can't find any links for the MorningStar games that work, except for the zip file on the renai.us archives. Are there any newer links that may work?

*(I'm so sheepish about it I'm baaing, no joke)

Jake
Support Hero

#198 Post by Jake »

Vier Klein wrote:Sorry for the necro post*, but I can't find any links for the MorningStar games that work, except for the zip file on the renai.us archives. Are there any newer links that may work?
I don't have any of the files for MorningStar any more, I don't know about Fice - they were on his server, then relocated to a new one when he let the old domain lapse and moved to a new one, but now that one's gone as well and... I have no idea if they're available on the web anywhere.

I believe the ones in the Ren'ai Archive are relatively 'current', though.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Vier Klein

#199 Post by Vier Klein »

That's too bad :( these games were good (though I could never understand the battle system). I did download the first one from the archives, but I couldn't find Zwei.

Uzukunoichi

#200 Post by Uzukunoichi »

I tried all the links (and the suggestion of using "save link as" instead of clicking) but none of the servers seem to work anymore. I've searched and searched for about an hour ( :oops: ) but still couldn't find a single working link to "Morning Star Zwei" anywhere!

Can anyone who has the file PLEASE upload it or give me a link? I LOVED the first installment (played it yesterday after downloading from Ren'ai archive) and am somewhat desperate to play the sequel. :oops:

Thanks a lot in advance, if anyone can help me out... (it's a really good game, shame if it's really lost!)

ficedula
Regular

#201 Post by ficedula »

Heya,

I'm afraid the old links have stopped working. I've uploaded MorningStar Zwei to a new server:

Windows: http://shizuka.ficedula.co.uk/MS/MorningStarZwei120.zip
OSX: http://shizuka.ficedula.co.uk/MS/MorningStarZwei.dmg

I'll try and remember to upload the original MorningStar tomorrow as well.

Uzukunoichi

#202 Post by Uzukunoichi »

ficedula wrote:Heya,

I'm afraid the old links have stopped working. I've uploaded MorningStar Zwei to a new server:

Windows: http://shizuka.ficedula.co.uk/MS/MorningStarZwei120.zip
OSX: http://shizuka.ficedula.co.uk/MS/MorningStarZwei.dmg

I'll try and remember to upload the original MorningStar tomorrow as well.
Thank you so much, you're amazing! :D

I already have the original (downloaded from renai.us), just needed this one. :)

Now I'll wait giddily for the next two minutes bouncing off the walls till the download finishes. :oops:

Vier Klein

#203 Post by Vier Klein »

Ahhh thanks a lot ficedula :) I'm looking forward to seeing if I can finally figure out the battle system

ficedula
Regular

#204 Post by ficedula »

I've uploaded MorningStar as well;

http://shizuka.ficedula.co.uk/MS/sdldot ... -setup.exe
http://shizuka.ficedula.co.uk/MS/InstallMS.exe

Download & run both files to install it.

It's an updated version which is probably newer than the one on Renai. That said not much is different so if you've played through the original you're not missing much; it has some graphics and textual glitches fixed, and the battle system is tweaked a bit to re-balance it. Otherwise it's basically the same.

There is an OSX version of the original which I'll have to upload when I'm actually at home with access to a Mac.

squark
Veteran
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy (Proofreader), The Abandoned Land: Book One (Proofreader)
Projects: Raven Hollow (Core Coder, Proofreader), The Universal Hope (Core Coder, Proofreader)

#205 Post by squark »

So, aside from the minor glitches and the rebalanced battle system, just what IS different? ;)
And it's good to hear from you again, Fice.
"All we see or seem

I stand amid the roar
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Peace and Love,
Squark

squark
Veteran

#206 Post by squark »

I can't get this version to work >.<
I've installed the SDL runtimes and tried to run the game (both in my Games folder and the default location) and it fails. I've even set up the options as I had them for the previous release, and still nothing.

All I get is "Sylph has stopping working". What's going on to thwart my attampts?
Running Windows 7 64Bit, if that helps.
"All we see or seem

I stand amid the roar
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Peace and Love,
Squark

Sol

#207 Post by Sol »

Thanks, ficedula, for uploading an alternate version for the original game on Ren’ai. It seems dating from 2007, it's a long time...

But, unfortunately, this other version does not work for me, too. I don't think my problem is the same as squark's. Although menu opening screen seems to work properly, as well the background music at that very beginning, the game freezes during the transition to the second screen. I followed your initial instructions without any results, though (I still run Win XP). All remains freeze, in a typical transition black screen, without any background music...

By the way, MorningStar Zwei worked well – and it’s very cool, I liked it a lot, congratulations!
MS and MS Zwei are both very good games for me, I enjoy their RPG features and the battlesystem at all, as well the background story. Hope if the minor problems on their original versions could be fixed someway - mostly that synchronization thing, I mean.

In the remote possibility that you would consider release an revised or upgraded version in the future - it would be great, believe me!, as a simple suggestion, it would be nice if it were added some more light yuri content, giving some more emotional background to them - at least in the way I had noticed/was led to believe at the beginning of MS original story… Relationships are an interesting part of this game, almost as its RPG features.

Thank you and congrats to you and and Jake, I presume!

ficedula
Regular

#208 Post by ficedula »

squark wrote:I can't get this version to work >.<
I've installed the SDL runtimes and tried to run the game (both in my Games folder and the default location) and it fails. I've even set up the options as I had them for the previous release, and still nothing.

All I get is "Sylph has stopping working". What's going on to thwart my attampts?
Running Windows 7 64Bit, if that helps.
Hi,

Sorry about the delayed response; I was away on holiday last week.

All I can suggest is;

-Make sure the SDL runtime is definitely installed; do you need to run it as administrator on your machine to make sure it installs correctly?

-Failing that, if you don't have it installed already, .NET 3.5 make need to be installed.

Certainly the error is what you would get if something isn't installed correctly, either one of the runtimes, or some files missing from the install...

squark
Veteran

#209 Post by squark »

Okay, still doesn't work.

I've disabled .NET 3.5.1 that comes preinstalled as a "feature" on Windows 7 so I could install 3.5.
It extracts everything then executes the run procedures. Before it does anything I get this:
"To install .NET Framework 3.5.1, use the Turn a Windows feature on or off Panel."
I was "WTF? It's thinking I want to install 3.5.1?"

At any rate, it still doesn't work.
"All we see or seem

I stand amid the roar
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Peace and Love,
Squark

ficedula
Regular

#210 Post by ficedula »

Hi,

If you've got 3.5.1 installed that should be fine.

Could you try downloading:

http://shizuka.ficedula.co.uk/MS/MorningStarRE.zip

Unzip it into the folder where you've put MorningStar and run the new program. I expect it still won't work; however it should give detailed error messages so we can figure out what's going wrong....

Sorry about the issues!

Cheers.