What kind of Fiction should You write? 5.0! [Quiz game ]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

Re: What kind of Fiction should You write? 5.0! [Quiz game ]

#121 Post by OokamiKasumi »

HienFan wrote:Yeah I know the other two aspect I got is important. Heck I am trying to describe stuff as hard as I can.
Time and practice fixes almost everything.
-- Practice describing stuff in your head as you go about your daily life. Run your fingers down the banister and try to describe what it feels like. Sweep your hand across a desktop and try to describe the motion and the sensation under your fingers. (Remember! On paper, the motion ALWAYS comes before the sensation!) When you're annoyed, or laughing, or sad, try to describe what those feeling are doing to you; how your breathing changes, if a part of you starts to sweat, and how your heart feels in your chest. Don't write anything down, just run it through your head. If you do this enough, the words will come when you need to put them on paper later.
HienFan wrote:Though to be honest some of the questions I feel kinda haphazard on what to pick.
That would explain why some of your scores were all over the place.
HienFan wrote:All I know is I want a work mainly about friendship of the same gender first.
*Nods.* That's definitely a Children's Lit theme. "The Power of Friendship!"
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Starwulfen
Regular
Projects: Project PeGASuS, Destiny's Spire, The Dragon Call
Organization: Mist Fables

#122 Post by Starwulfen »

A little suprised I ended up with Historical.
Not suprised on the second highest scores being Fantasy and Children's Lit, since those are the genres I mostly read
There was a few questions I found it difficult to choose the best one for me
scores1.jpg
scores2.jpg
Work in Progress - Destiny's Spire
NaNoRenO 2013 - The Dragon Call

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#123 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Starwulfen wrote:A little surprised I ended up with Historical.
Not surprised on the second highest scores being Fantasy and Children's Lit, since those are the genres I mostly read.
Okay, but what do you Write?
Starwulfen wrote:There was a few questions I found it difficult to choose the best one for me.
I can tell. The only things you didn't score in was Mystery & Erotica.

Unfortunately, your scores are a little too evenly distributed for me to make a clean assessment of your writing patterns.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

Starwulfen
Regular

#124 Post by Starwulfen »

OokamiKasumi wrote:
Starwulfen wrote:A little surprised I ended up with Historical.
Not surprised on the second highest scores being Fantasy and Children's Lit, since those are the genres I mostly read.
Starwulfen wrote:There was a few questions I found it difficult to choose the best one for me.
I can tell. The only things you didn't score in was Mystery & Erotica.

Unfortunately, your scores are a little too evenly distributed for me to make a clean assessment of your writing patterns.
Oops, I meant to put 'and write' on the end of that

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#125 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Starwulfen wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote:
Starwulfen wrote:Not surprised on the second highest scores being Fantasy and Children's Lit, since those are the genres I mostly read.
Oops, I meant to put 'and write' on the end of that
Oh, so you do write.
-- This doesn't change the fact that your scores are a little too evenly distributed for me to make a clean assessment. It almost looks as though you tried to get one in every genre.

Starwulfen
Regular

#126 Post by Starwulfen »

OokamiKasumi wrote: Oh, so you do write.
-- This doesn't change the fact that your scores are a little too evenly distributed for me to make a clean assessment. It almost looks as though you tried to get one in every genre.
I can promise you I wasn't conciously trying to.
I tried again, changing up the answers where I was wavering between two or more options.

Fantasy - 5
Mystery - 2
Gothic, Romance, Historical, Science Fiction, Horror, Suspense, Comedy, Action Adventure - 1
Literature, Erotica, Childrens Lit - 0

Drama - 4
Characterisation - 4
Description - 5
Plotting - Modest
Premise - Respectable
World Building - Very Strong
Novelty - Strong
Male Lead - Strong
Female Lead - Strong
Villain - Modest

I think I'm just not very good at defining what I do, it's still all over the place.

SimonLayton
Regular

#127 Post by SimonLayton »

wha.JPG
Sort of surprise I got this result but okay. xD
Then I got 3 for Historical, 2 for Children's Lit, 1 for Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, Mystery, Horror, and Comedy.

Great quiz! Had some fun. xD
Honest Critique
itch.io | avatar by crestforge

gemgem05

#128 Post by gemgem05 »

First of all, I would like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this quiz.

The result that I got was the gothic genre which didn't surprise me since two of my literary idols are Edgar Allan Poe and Anne Rice, and I tend to emulate some of their aspects into my story hence the result.

Now, as for the thorough results, I got:

Gothic: 6
Horror: 2
Mystery: 2
Historical: 1
Science- Fiction: 1
Fantasy: 1
Comedy: 1
Action Adventure: 1
And the rest is 0.

Drama: 8
Characterization: 6
Description: 6
Plotting: Respectable
Premise: Respectable
Word Building: Strong
Novelty: Strong
Male Lead: Weak
Female Lead: Strong
Villain: Strong

To be honest, I was shocked that my male lead was weak but then I realized that I tended to focus more on my female lead and the villain than him which is something that I think I should work on. Also, I'd like your analysis please especially on the many 1s that I got which I am a little baffled by.

Once again, this was an amazing quiz and good luck with your future work!

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

#129 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

Gothic: 5
Action Adventure: 3
Romance, Literature, and Comedy: 2
Children's Lit: 1

Drama: 9
Characterization: 10
Description: 5

Plotting: Weak
World Building: Modest
Novelty: Respectable

Male Lead: Respectable
Female Lead: Respectable

When I saw that I got Gothic I just stared at it. "Gothic? Isn't that emo stuff?" So I looked up your Writing Tip: Structure of the GOTHIC Tale. Modern day fairy tales focusing on the drama which exists within ourselves. Okay yeah, that's me all over.

Thank you so much for making this! You have expanded my horizons. :D

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#130 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Starwulfen wrote: Fantasy - 5
Mystery - 2
Gothic, Romance, Historical, Science Fiction, Horror, Suspense, Comedy, Action Adventure - 1
Literature, Erotica, Childrens Lit - 0

Drama - 4
Characterisation - 4
Description - 5

Plotting - Modest
Premise - Respectable
World Building - Very Strong
Novelty - Strong

Male Lead - Strong
Female Lead - Strong
Villain - Modest
To be honest, having that many 1s scattered all about is a little troubling, especially with a Novelty (willingness to break the rules) set at Strong.

Having a good solid 5 in Fantasy with a Very Strong World-building, and Description your highest score tells me that you definitely have the right instincts for writing true Fantasy. However, the only other genre with a score above 1 is a 2 in Mystery. This genre focuses on Plot, which would be an excellent back up for your Fantasy, if your Plotting wasn't set at only Modest.

What I am seeing, is the ability to create fantastic worlds, but no story. The characters journey from one end of your world to the other, but with a Drama set at 4; nothing happens to them.

My advice would be for you to look up BASIC PLOTTING.
-- Here are some links to start you with the super-basic stuff:
7 Basic Plots: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... BasicPlots
Hero's Journey: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... rosJourney

And a video I highly recommend:
Forget Hollywood: http://www.paperwingspodcast.com/2012/0 ... hollywood/

Creating worlds is all well and fine, but stories are about things Happening in those worlds. If not, then what you have is a fantastic Travelogue, and nothing more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SimonLayton wrote:Sort of surprise I got this result but okay. xD
Then I got 3 for Historical, 2 for Children's Lit, 1 for Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, Mystery, Horror, and Comedy.

Great quiz! Had some fun. xD
I'm glad you enjoyed it!
-- I happen to be very fond of Gothics. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gemgem05 wrote:First of all, I would like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this quiz.
I'm glad! I enjoyed creating it. :)
gemgem05 wrote:The result that I got was the Gothic genre which didn't surprise me since two of my literary idols are Edgar Allan Poe and Anne Rice, and I tend to emulate some of their aspects into my story hence the result.

Now, as for the thorough results, I got:
Gothic: 6
Horror: 2
Mystery: 2

Mystery and Horror are excellent back-ups for the Gothics, since the truly delicious Gothics have a taste of both: Why are such odd things are happening (Mystery,)? And... How can the characters can stop the monster from doing terrible things (Horror,) without terrible things happening to them!

Drama: 8
Characterization: 6
Description: 6

With a Drama at 8, you clearly have no problem letting your characters suffer quite a bit, but with a Characterization of 6, you may want to look deeper into the Psychological effects, and aspects that dealing with bizarre things can do to people -- just to give it a bit more character depth.

Plotting: Respectable
World Building: Strong
Novelty: Strong

Your Respectable in Premise tells me that you have no problem writing tales about those who Deserve to get punished, and fully following through. This is particularly good for Gothics, which are in fact, modern day Fairy Tales; the monster inhabiting them being reflections of the Darkness dwelling within the characters' psyche.

Your Strong in World-building and your Strong in Novelty tells me that you're fully capable of creating a fully realized Dark Fantasy world for your characters to run around in. Add to this, a Respectable in Plotting, and you have the makings of a very fine psycho-fantasy Thriller, that doesn't go over-board.

Historical: 1
Science- Fiction: 1
Fantasy: 1
Comedy: 1
Action Adventure: 1

Believe it or not, theses are good genres to score in if you plan on following through with writing Gothics.

Historicals tend to focus on Details and Accuracy in Description, which can only make your Gothic story creepier by making it easier to Imagine. Sci-Fi is huge on Premise; the point the story is trying to make. If you're story is trying to show what really goes on inside the human heart, you're definitely working with Premise. Fantasy's focus is World-building, a necessary thing if you're going to write a fully realized dream-world. Action-Adventure's focus on things the Drama of Action, which is definitely a plus if you're going to have your monsters pursuing your characters.

Believe it or not Comedy; especially Black Comedy and Sarcasm is what will keep your readers (and yourself as the writer) from falling into a pit of despair and never coming back out.

Male Lead: Weak
Female Lead: Strong
gemgem05 wrote:To be honest, I was shocked that my male lead was weak but then I realized that I tended to focus more on my female lead and the villain than him which is something that I think I should work on.
Good catch! That's exactly what this score shows, that you concentrate more on your Female characters and Villains than your Male characters.

Add Comedy to your Weak Male Lead, and you have the makings of a wonderfully sarcastic Deadpan Snarker that refuses to believe what's happening around him. A wonderful foil for an action-based, Monster-killing Heroine and a truly evil Villain that is in fact, his opposite reflection.
gemgem05 wrote:Once again, this was an amazing quiz and good luck with your future work!
I'm glad you enjoyed it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Flowers from Nowhere wrote:When I saw that I got Gothic I just stared at it. "Gothic? Isn't that emo stuff?" So I looked up your Writing Tip: Structure of the GOTHIC Tale. Modern day fairy tales focusing on the drama which exists within ourselves. Okay yeah, that's me all over.

Thank you so much for making this! You have expanded my horizons. :D
My pleasure. I'm glad I could provide a bit of inspiration!

Gothic: 5
Action Adventure: 3
Romance, Literature, and Comedy: 2
Children's Lit: 1

All of these are good support if you want to write Gothics, especially the 3 in Action-Adventure, but the 2 in Comedy and the 1 in Children's Lit will keep the story from falling into an Angst-Fest.

The 2 in Literature is troubling though. Make sure you don't digress too far into 'stream of consciousness' writing, or any other weird literary techniques, or you could lose your readers in confusion, 'kay? Avoid 2nd Person POV! (point of view.) NO story is written that way, only Letters and Diaries are.

Drama: 9
Characterization: 10
Description: 5

You have a wonderfully high Drama and Characterization. This is perfect for the Gothic which focuses on the Characters' thoughts, feelings, and anxieties. However, your Description is a tad low to truly make your story Visible in the reader's imagination. You may want to brush up on your Description techniques.

A lot of people write off Description when Game-Making, thinking: "Oh, well, the pictures will do all that for me!"

NOT TRUE. Word choice is particularly important in a Gothic. Why use a plain, ordinary word (tree,) when you can add a far more decorative word, or two, more to pack it full of meaning and symbolism?
-- The gnarled and ancient oak.

Plotting: Weak
World Building: Modest
Novelty: Respectable

My sweet, you're going to need to work on your Plotting, especially with Gothics. You can't just have things happen. Every single thing in your story needs to happen for a Purpose and/or an Effect. For that, you need a Plan -- a Plot.

Male Lead: Respectable
Female Lead: Respectable

Having a Strong in Villain is perfect for Gothics because the Villain is actually the star of the show. It's the magic mirror that reflects all the nastiness inside the main character. The nastiness the main character must Face and Overcome to End the story.

And there you have it. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#131 Post by azureXtwilight »

So I replayed the new one with more thinking and I'm frankly quite surprised at what I get:
ScreenShot020.jpg
ScreenShot021.jpg
Hey, what can I say? I like making the themes that overpowered villains can be defeat through hard work and union of weak people :P

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#132 Post by OokamiKasumi »

azureXtwilight wrote:So I replayed the new one with more thinking and I'm frankly quite surprised at what I get:

Hey, what can I say? I like making the themes that overpowered villains can be defeat[ed] through hard work and union of weak people :P
It's a damned good theme because it's Right.

Amorphous
Regular
Completed: Recording the Predestined Time
Tumblr: beastamorphous
Github: dmliao
Soundcloud: a_morphous
itch: amorphous

#133 Post by Amorphous »

I got 'Literature' for mine...I'm not entirely sure what Literature even is, but considering that I never really write with a genre in mind (and tend to just let things happen as they happen in my stories), I guess that's accurate?

Full score was:

Historical - 1
Science Fiction - 2
Literature - 4
Fantasy - 1
Horror - 1
Comedy - 1 (how did this happen?)
Action Adventure - 1
Children's Lit - 1

Drama - 6
Characterization - 9
Description - 5
Plotting - Weak
Premise - Weak
World Building - Respectable
Novelty - Very Strong

Male Lead - Modest
Female Lead - Respectable
Villain - Strong

Note that I had a lot of trouble relating to the plotting and premise questions, though; the answers available weren't exactly accurate to my thoughts (with plot, I always have a pretty tight plot in mind at first, but as the characters grow and develop, the plots sometimes change loosely as well. None of the premises listed as examples really matched with ones I've used in the past, and I have a different premise for each story... I ended up choosing the vaguest answer)

Nice little quiz you got there; reading through all your analyses of different peoples' responses is pretty insightful, too.
Confused person. Makes art and music.
Website | Twitter

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#134 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Amorphous wrote:I got 'Literature' for mine...I'm not entirely sure what Literature even is, but considering that I never really write with a genre in mind (and tend to just let things happen as they happen in my stories), I guess that's accurate?
Literature is a genre that doesn't conform to any genre rules, (or writing rules). Think: Creative Writing. If you write without any sort of genre idea in mind then yes, you're writing Literature. Also, it's because you "tend to just let things happen as they happen" that you scored a VeryStrong in Novelty which is a measure of how willing the writer is to break the rules of Fiction writing.

Literature - 4
Science Fiction - 2

Sci-Fi is premise heavy. The story exists to illustrate the point the author is trying to make, so I was kind of surprised to see that you've scored in Sci-Fi when you have a Weak in Premise.

Plotting - Weak
Premise - Weak
World Building - Respectable
Novelty - Very Strong

This however, explains it.
Amorphous wrote:Note that I had a lot of trouble relating to the plotting and premise questions, though; the answers available weren't exactly accurate to my thoughts ... None of the premises listed as examples really matched with ones I've used in the past, and I have a different premise for each story... I ended up choosing the vaguest answer)
It's not that you Don't have a Premise to your stories, it's that you don't use any of the more common --genre-oriented-- Premises.

Historical - 1
Fantasy - 1
Horror - 1
Action Adventure - 1
Children's Lit - 1
Amorphous wrote:Comedy - 1 (How did this happen?)
Apparently, you like happy endings. :)

Drama - 6
Characterization - 9
Description - 5

Male Lead - Modest
Female Lead - Respectable
Villain - Strong
Amorphous wrote:...with plot, I always have a pretty tight plot in mind at first, but as the characters grow and develop, the plots sometimes change loosely as well.
That your character rule your stories is very much reflected in your 9 in Characterization. 9 is actually a very high score. It's possible to score higher, but you would have had to have gotten more hits in other genres to get it.

However, with a VeryStrong in Novelty, it looks as though your characters rule your stories so much that you have a problem wrestling them to conform to the stories you try to write. In other words, your character don't rule your stories, they Take Over your stories, to the point that you may lose the story's original Plot entirely, and possibly, the Point (Premise) you're trying to make too.

My guess is that you come up with the characters first, then try to find a story to fit them.
-- When I do this, the story always veers off into the wild blue yonder because my characters tend to be more interesting than the story I'm trying to write. Unfortunately, this is something I can't afford to let happen because I NEED to finish my stories -- they pay my Rent.

If you want better control of your characters, try Plotting the story out first, then creating characters to specifically make that story happen.
Amorphous wrote:Nice little quiz you got there; reading through all your analyses of different peoples' responses is pretty insightful, too.
I'm glad you liked it!
-- I like helping my fellow writer improve their craft.

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

#135 Post by RunicV »

You've probably heard this countless times, but please analyze my results? :oops: Sorry to bug you, but I'd really like to know what my strong points in writing are, and how I can improve on my weak points. It would be easier if you'd make one gigantic guide XDDD but thank you so much for creating this amazing game already. :D
This time I tried to answer what I normally write, instead of what I want to write, so the results were a little different.
...still sad that my male lead is Gary Stu XD
screenshot0001.png
screenshot0002.png
screenshot0003.png
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.