Ookami's attempts at making characters.

Art threads specific to a single artist.
OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

Ookami's attempts at making characters.

#1 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Okay, if any of you remember the last sprite I posted, it was 100 % original in style, and Freaky, to say the least. This time, I decided to experiment by quite literally aping the style of my favorite manga-ka, so don't freak out if they look really familiar.

These are fully pose-able.
-- They're also updated and changed out regularly. (Because my OCD has reared it's ugly little head.)

I finally figured out how to draw jeans. Go me!
-- And their shirts don't look like folded paper anymore. :)
Updated
Updated
Tomoko.jpg
Tomoko02.jpg
Tomoko03.jpg
Adult versions.
-- Both the hair and eyes are shades of gray. I used color overlay to change them.
Tomaru.jpg
Tomari.jpg
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

specialtantei
Veteran

Re: Ookami's next try at making sprites.

#2 Post by specialtantei »

Hey, these are pretty good! I ain't no artist but the arm positioning feels awkward and painful (can't understand why though, they just feel that way to me). I like the faces and coloring :D!

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by OokamiKasumi »

specialtantei wrote:Hey, these are pretty good! I like the faces and coloring :D!
Thank you!
-- My last effort was pretty creepy, especially in motion. I plugged it into a game and freaked myself out. Naturally I had to post it here and share. :)
specialtantei wrote:I ain't no artist but the arm positioning feels awkward and painful (can't understand why though, they just feel that way to me).
That could be because I just moved them from their original straight down positions to...wherever. However, I suspect that it's the hand positions. I think I went a little too 'creative' with some of the fingers.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

Aines445
Regular

#4 Post by Aines445 »

OokamiKasumi wrote:. However, I suspect that it's the hand positions. I think I went a little too 'creative' with some of the fingers.
Yeah, I think it's the fingers too, especially in the first sprite. I think they're good, except maybe their necks are a little long. (Damn they look like they're going to kill me! XD) And the coloring is good too, so it's not that bad.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Aines445 wrote:Yeah, I think it's the fingers too, especially in the first sprite.
Note to self: Don't get fancy with the fingers.
Aines445 wrote:I think they're good, except maybe their necks are a little long.
Thank you! Actually, ALL of their limbs are too long; arms, legs, everything... But that the style I was working from. Should I shrink them, do you think?
Aines445 wrote:(Damn they look like they're going to kill me! XD)
Um, yeah, the expressions are a bit on the aggressive side, but their lips are smiling? Really! (But then, that could be because they're happily plotting something...) Anyway! That's just this expression. They're made so that their mouths, brows, and eyes are changeable.
Aines445 wrote:And the coloring is good too, so it's not that bad.
Thank you! I made them --and colored them-- fully nude so I can make whatever costumes I need, or just pop their heads onto a ready-made costume.
-- Wait... That didn't sound right...

Endorphin
Veteran

#6 Post by Endorphin »

Thank you! Actually, ALL of their limbs are too long; arms, legs, everything... But that the style I was working from. Should I shrink them, do you think?
I like it--it just fits the style. ;o
(If this is what your going for, then do it. People will eventually get used to it.)

However, the sprites are nice. :>
A bit too flat at the moment, but otherwise nice.
(You only put texture/patterns on the clothes without shading folds or how it fits the curves, and the drop shadow just enhances the feeling that it's one of this paper dolls on which you can clip clothes. [You might want to remove this "drop shadow" effect. It makes stuff flatter and is especially weird as the arms don't have them.])

But you really made progress, congratulations! <3
Can't wait to see more from you, you always amaze me with your productivity. :>

- En.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Endorphin wrote:
I like it--it just fits the style. ;o
(If this is what your going for, then do it. People will eventually get used to it.)
The way people got used to CLAMP's ultra-long-limbed characters?
Endorphin wrote:However, the sprites are nice. :> A bit too flat at the moment, but otherwise nice.
(You only put texture/patterns on the clothes without shading folds or how it fits the curves, and the drop shadow just enhances the feeling that it's one of this paper dolls on which you can clip clothes. [You might want to remove this "drop shadow" effect. It makes stuff flatter and is especially weird as the arms don't have them.])
*wince* Okay, so once I got both dolls made, I was tired of shading every tiny thing and took some short-cuts...
Endorphin wrote:But you really made progress, congratulations! <3
Thank you!
-- Not so creepy this time, ne? LOL!
Endorphin wrote:Can't wait to see more from you, you always amaze me with your productivity. :>
- En.
Once you have it trained properly, OCD can do amazing things for you. :)

Rye
Regular
Projects: : MAlice :

#8 Post by Rye »

Ohmygod!
/crawl back to chair.
Their color are fairly good. They're going tp kill me The 2nd one
is the first one with longer hair, different eyes's color and chest, right? Hip is a bit small. The most
funny part are arms, like they got shrink their wrist because the wrist is a bit small and yeah. Their poses're a bit awkward. That's for now.
I'm hiatus from everything for exam... Slow pace on projects. I need to write and draw..
"I'm wearing your granddad's clothes. I look incredible." - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Rye wrote:Ohmygod! /crawl back to chair. Their color are fairly good. They're going to kill me

LOL! Okay, so I like scary characters.
-- I'm glad you like the coloring.
Rye wrote:The 2nd one is the first one with longer hair, different eye color and chest, right? Hip is a bit small.
Yes, they both have the same head, arms, and legs. The torsos (chest to hip) are very different though. (Boys generally have very narrows hips.)
Rye wrote:The most funny part are arms, like they got shrink their wrist because the wrist is a bit small and yeah. Their poses're a bit awkward. That's for now.
Long skinny limbs was the style!!! (And huge hands too, but I wasn't about to go there.) LOL!
-- As for the poses, yeah, they're awkward. They're completely pose-able, so the pose doesn't really matter until I use them for a game.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Ookami's attempts at making characters. Updated

#10 Post by OokamiKasumi »

New hair, new eye color and a change in the shirt pattern.
Tomaru02.jpg

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#11 Post by Coren »

I thought that was a girl until---

-- those are some seriously skinny jeans...

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Kirroha wrote:I thought that was a girl until--
Um... Yeah. The artist I borrowed the original style from does Very girl-y boys.
-- I love the pretty face, but have since done a complete overhaul on the torso because boys don't have female waists or rounded hips. The original design was pretty much a girl with a 'package'.
Kirroha wrote:-- those are some seriously skinny jeans...
Aren't they? :)

crisismachine

#13 Post by crisismachine »

I like your art. The hair is great, but a flaw that sticks out to me are your characters crotches. They look wonky and anatomically incorrect. I know, weird complaint.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by OokamiKasumi »

crisismachine wrote:I like your art. The hair is great, but a flaw that sticks out to me are your characters crotches. They look wonky and anatomically incorrect. I know, weird complaint.
It's funny you should say that because under those clothes are all the 'pertinent parts'. I drew them in the nude and anatomically correct (other than having inhumanly long limbs...) before I clothed them.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Testing the base doll's versatility. :)
-- Oh, and this shows just how tall they really are.
Yuuko.jpg